• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
what does

study
------
eternal
mean?

EDIT: i'm going to laugh so much if this turns out to be nothing related to anything...

EDIT AGAIN: nah, we're definitely on to something. user joined october fifth, 2008, video created october sixth, 2008. right as the hint for character 27 was put out.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
wow, yeah, this was a good hint. I would have never gotten that without ftl and vulgarhandgestures.

btw, I'm going with Luigi :)

edit: very nice stealthraptor, that is indeed from mario 3, so mario's understudy :)

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Dude, they included one of those puzzles. Eternal understudy. Win.

Eternal understudy, music from mario... I think that's weegee.

And I am so much more happy with the conclusion to this hint than the last one, if a conclusion is in fact what we have reached.

Can someone find a source for the music, just to be sure? A youtube video or something?

JLynn943

Smash Ace
Dude, they included one of those puzzles. Eternal understudy. Win.

Eternal understudy, music from mario... I think that's weegee.

And I am so much more happy with the conclusion to this hint than the last one, if a conclusion is in fact what we have reached.

Can someone find a source for the music, just to be sure? A youtube video or something?
yeah stealthraptor put it in his last post. and i agree, this answer feels way better than last week's

ok, so on this note of win, i will actually go to bed lol

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Yep. I'm 100% sure now. It's Luigi.

GG guys, it's been nice thinking with you all, look forward to next week :)

infomon

Smash Scientist
lol congrats guys. I'm sorry I overlooked the lolcats thing in Dazwa's profile, thought for sure it was nuthin'.... lawl.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and BTW, **** YOUR "LOL TELESCOPE NOT MICROSCOPE" claims, because I DID have to pull out a microscope (well, or at least the zoom tool in windows photo viewer or whatever) to read those ****ed carpet-colored letters on the carpet-colored carpet.

Novan007

Smash Rookie
Excellent work guys! It seems like u really nailed this one!

even though it isn't sayin much, I 100% agree that next week's character is Luigi!!!

now.... what to do till next week.......

infomon

Smash Scientist
now.... what to do till next week.......
whine that we're done so early.....

or whine that it's not someone interesting..... like Sonic, or PT.... or Sonic.....

or whine about an MK ban. That's what everyone else is doing :laugh:

Any which way, there's lots of whining to do this week....
waaaaah

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Oh snap.

I also thought of using a Youtube URL as I was reading you guys and your awesome hint soliving skillz.

ftl, VulgarHandGestures and JLynn all win this week.

Luigi for 27.

Oh, and this hint was unfair because I don't have AIM. :<

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
even though these tracks you've found are convincing here's something we could do until next hint:

figure out who it could be besides luigi.

look at it like this: last week people were saying that they were 100% sure that it was gonna be Ike. it was Olimar.

VulgarHandGestures just said at random "what if it's a youtube video?" then you find a youtube video.

what on earth does that have to do with the hint? the only possible solution to that I could find was that maybe we've skipped a few hints, but that's not something I would bet on.

you just jumped off the main road and found another road. that doesn't mean it leads to the same place.

still I don't have any real guess to what it could be besides luigi. for now he seems like the most legit guess, but I doubt it's actually him.

there's something to think about for ya.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
look at it like this: last week people were saying that they were 100% sure that it was gonna be Ike. it was Olimar.
Nah, it wasn't obvious whether it was Oli or Ike, to me at least. We hadn't gotten the meaning of the oli oli oxen free line.

VulgarHandGestures just said at random "what if it's a youtube video?" then you find a youtube video.
It wasn't at random. We found the character string "taDHl6xEDpE", and didn't know what to do with it; VHG realized that that's the same length and format as youtube video links, and so the hint is the youtube video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDHl6xEDpE .

what on earth does that have to do with the hint?
That character string was in a LOLcat image, which was in Dazwa's aim profile.

the only possible solution to that I could find was that maybe we've skipped a few hints, but that's not something I would bet on.

you just jumped off the main road and found another road. that doesn't mean it leads to the same place.
I think you're the one that missed the steps in the logic :)

To summarize:

AIM for Dazwa means to go to Dazwa's AIM profile
where there is a link to a LOLcat picture, like the ones Overswarm's been sending
That picture contains the string "taDHl6xEDpE", which is an identifier for the youtube video "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDHl6xEDpE"
The video has a picture which unscrambles to "eternal understudy", and music from Mario 3 (reversed).
Which both lead to Luigi.

Weldar

Smash Cadet
@****** bob: I'm going to have to disagree there. Really last week people were on the right track, they just stopped before making the final step. Overswarm's you'll know it when you see it hint was slightly off.

Really it being a youtube video doesn't seem random to me, it seems like a logical step. When I saw the image I looked straight at the random string of numbers and letters and thought what it could be. The first thing I thought of was a URL especially one for a video or image. Realising a random string of letters is a URL for a video doesn't seem too far of realising I fight for my friends means look at the person's friend list.

Still I agree we can't yet be 100% sure it's Luigi. Last week we though we had the answer but there was still one more step, although I definatly think we're on the right track we should see if there is some way it could go further. We have to be sure this isn't just another breadcrumb on the trail

Adapt

Smash Lord
Good stuff everyone... shame I don't have AIM at all. It's not too popular in Canada, everyone seems to use MSN or MSN substitutes

darkserenade

Smash Ace
I agree with previous posters, we need to look farther than that for safety. I, for now, say Wario is the next choice.

Overswarm himself said that we're looking at everything with a microscope, not a telescope, and that is stupid.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Nice work guys, I'm glad the people with AIM finally found something.

I'm really looking forward to luigi (YAY! Finally!).

As for the music, it's from super mario world. You know, the stages where there's the spiders on lines, on the same lines there are moving platforms, and you have to hit blocks to change the lines so the platforms will go where you want?

I could sing it for you but I can't make sound on the forums.

Here, I know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFZki6TcY4w about 4:35 in, he plays it. =D
(if you haven't seen this whole video before, watch it, it's great. Especially the very ending, zomg)

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Well, I suppose we could try to look furtgher and see if we see anything... but really, where else is there to go? It would have to be some pretty solid trail, and I don't see anything that it could be, the video doesn't seem to lead further, it seems to give the answer. I mean, if you've got actual ideas they might be interesting to hear, but picking a random character for no good reason and saying "well, he's the next choice" seems pointless.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
Oh, and BTW, **** YOUR "LOL TELESCOPE NOT MICROSCOPE" claims, because I DID have to pull out a microscope (well, or at least the zoom tool in windows photo viewer or whatever) to read those ****ed carpet-colored letters on the carpet-colored carpet.
yeah, I'm color blind, so it's literally impossible for me to tell what like half of the letters are. I didn't even notice there were letters until you guys pointed them out.

Not a very color blind-friendly hint this week

Snare

Smash Lord
headaches... theres just too many dead end possibilties that's popped up. Last thing i can think of is to look at all of OS's posts where he responded with a lolcat/dog and/or fail picture, since they might all be linked. But for now im gonna just guess a character that no one else has guessed:

Luigi
10luckyguesses

lol at least no one has posted anything on pkluva's account and screwed up the hint trail, two people favorited the video but that can't be tracked from what ive seen :dizzy:

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
that was interesting to read. i wish i hadnt been so busy, i havent been on smash boards in a while, and i totally missed this puzzle lol.
ill be here next week though : )

btw, where did the youtube link come from anyway, i missed that.

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
that was interesting to read. i wish i hadnt been so busy, i havent been on smash boards in a while, and i totally missed this puzzle lol.
ill be here next week though : )

btw, where did the youtube link come from anyway, i missed that.
dazwa's aim profile had a lolcat picture with a chunk of the youtube link in it.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Lol, last time, PKLUVA threw us off, last time, Overswarm said that we shouldn't look at this so microscopicly. The latter of the two has already happened again, why are we set in stone on PKLUVA?

Also, I, like the poster above me, don't have AIM (I don't even know what it looks like, not fair D: ). The last part of the hint last week (look to your other members for help) might have worked better in this week.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
We're not set on PKLUVA. The fact that the name of the account creator was PKLUVA had nothing to do with this hint, as far as we can tell, and it's certainly not how we found it.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Sendou Takeshi
Statistics
Japanese Name 千堂 武士
Nickname(s) Naniwa Tiger, Naniwa Rocky
Birth date May 5, 1972
Homeland Osaka, Japan
Weight Class Featherweight
Style In Fighter
Rank 23 (WBC)
Other Information
Affiliated with Naniwa Kentou-kai
Trainer Yanaoka
Championships West Japan Rookie King, Japanese Featherweight Champion
Family Sendou's Grandmother
Voice Actor Onosaka Masaya
Boxing record
Total fights 19
Wins 17
Wins by KO 16
Losses 2
First Appearance
Manga Round 88
Anime Round 29

edit for the lulz:
Techniques
Smash
Low Smash
Super Smash <--- XD

And of course, there's a character bio, but I'd rather not quote the entire page when the link is there ;/

Which brings up the question, is all their talk about Hajime no Ippo just anime spam, or does it really have something to do with the hint?

Either way, Ippo is more important than the hint. What can be more amazing than that?
This seems to be influenced by his late father, who was a fireman. He behaved this way as a child, yet in spite of this he continues to act tough and rude. He even became leader of gang of delinquents during his school years.
It can be only one!

:squirtle:

Anime, fireman, acts tough and rude, became leader of a gang...

Me right?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Lol, last time, PKLUVA threw us off, last time, Overswarm said that we shouldn't look at this so microscopicly. The latter of the two has already happened again, why are we set in stone on PKLUVA?
Last time PKluva was the right direction. This time we followed exactly what the hint said, travelled along a completely new direction that was strongly hinted at by OS, and it brought us to PKluva again, with a new hint. What could be more obviously the right direction?

Also, I, like the poster above me, don't have AIM (I don't even know what it looks like, not fair D: ). The last part of the hint last week (look to your other members for help) might have worked better in this week.
Except last time that part was important because we needed to search for a member of Smashboards, which was not indicated by the hint itself. This time, we had to AIM Dazwa, which is exactly what the hint said. *shrug*

Tenki

Smash Hero
:squirtle:

Anime, fireman, acts tough and rude, became leader of a gang...

Me right?

I did not think of that.

someone needs to photoshop and upload a :squirtle: + sunglasses.

But in reality, I'm going to laugh if I guessed this hint correctly for the wrong reason again.

My guess for lolimarangers last week was a BS one because there were 6 lines in the song, and 5 pikmin+Olimar = 6

Top Bottom