• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
Gonna go with Sonic because along with snake he generated the most intrest and his speed obviously keeps him on the offensive. Not to mention Olimar, Diddy, Ike and TL are on the popular end of the spectrum.

AlexX

Smash Ace
I'm in the "it's Sonic" boat. His greatest power is obviously his speed, but few seem to actually be using it. He pressures pretty well, which is good since gimping recovery is his best way of getting KOs, and while he was pretty notable when the game first came out due to him being who he is, most just ignore him these days due to his priority issues and lack of KO moves.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i think it might be pit his arrows can give constant offensive pressure i am not sure if he is being under used at this moment but i think he has potential to be very good

okiyama

Smash Ace
It sounded like Wario until you said he was among the top in the beggining...

iunno who's weird and was top rated early on but now is unpopular...

maybe Olimar?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Marth? Everyone thought he was the best character in the game at the begining. Then they found some other broken stuff with other characters and just kinda forgot about him.

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
For next time, I'd say R.O.B. He was overhyped at first and called amazing, but has started to slip back. With his great projectiles, ability to stay in the air, high knockback attacks, and great recovery, he can go all out offensive and keep the pressure on.

Grandeza

Smash Master
Guys, please don't just post who you think that the new character will be. We're also supposed to be discussing Snake, here.

No your not. You only discuss the general idea of this topic and guessing here. Read the OP before you start giving us rules.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ok, heres how i know its not sonic
There is a ton of potential that nearly everyone can see, but not many seem to be using it
if it were sonic, it would say something along the lines of " there is potential that no one but sonic mains can see" sonic can't really apply offensive pressure just because his attacks are horrible.

that being said, there are some possibilities that are brought up a lot

diddy- his attacks have no lag, and his bananas give him enough range that, when coupled with his speed and powerful aerials, can lead to the "pressure" everyone is talking about. he can't be shield grabbed, and he attacks too fast to be spotdodged and evaded effectively. a good diddy is nearly impossible to defend against, in fact the only thing thats worked for me is a full on charge before hegets an offense set up. however, diddy players are rare at tournaments.

olimar- if you try to play defensively, olimar is just going to stack damage on you and kill you with an aerial as soon as you screw up. this guy is also very hard to defend against, as his grab range makes punishing out of shields impossible, and his ability to repeatedly throw pikmin from a safe distance allows him to force the other guy to come to him, again, there are very few olimar players at tournaments.

toon link - projectile spam, a psuedo WOP, and a fast falling dair make him very hard to defend, though it is easier than defending against olimars and diddys, everyone thought he was going to be broken at the start, however, toon link players are few and far between. I have met 1 toon link main at a tournament, total, everyone seems to have forgotten about him

Pikachu - everyone knows he got buffed, before we started playing G&W he was thought to be the most improved out of the returning cast. he mightbe played campy/defensively by most players at the time being, however, with his quick attack canceling, range, speed, power, chaingrabs, and multiple hit attacks that are very hard to shield he seems like he would be the perfect offensive character. he is a little more common at tournaments, but there aren't as many pikachu players as you would expect.

here are a few that get mentioned a lot that don't have a great chance

ROB- rob relies more on defense than offense, on top of this he was getting mixed reviews at the start because he was a little too different for people to realize his awesomeness. he also sees somewhat good representation at tournaments, so i doubt he is slipping under the radar

Wario- as great as he is, he was kind of overlooked at the start because he isn't that likable to most people, he wouldve fit the description perfectly if not for this, however, he was overlooked at the start, so i doubt it will be him.

returning characters not named pikachu - everyone was hyped up for the new guys, who seemed to all be high tier material at the time, but luigi, kirby, and all other buffed returning characters were kind of overshadowed by this, except for pikachu, who according to some, was as good as he was in 64. since this includes marth, yet marth seems to be very popular, i will mention it here, there are plenty of marth players, i have played 2 marth players at the minimum at every tournament i have attended, and marth is in no way unusual, in fact he is very bland compared to other characters

note: for the characters popularity, online use is not taken into consideration, only tournament. there may be plenty of toon link and pikachu players online, but the majority don't seem to show up to tournaments, and therefore not many place well.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
I think it will be DDD, no one uses him anymore, also Sonic seems as a good option

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
I think it could be Pit, because he is so hot right now. Everyone in the beginning all used him and now that people have found multiple and common ways of killing and beating him he has lost popularity in the Smash community.

Snake has great moves but I just find him very slow and any character with a shine or block move will be able to defeat him easily so Snake can not use his many projectiles.

IvoYaridovich

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9654-5728
I think it's Sonic

This character is an unusual one for sure. Sonic is kind of unusual. For one, 2 of his specials are close to the same. Also, a lot of his potential is where he's not so fast, gimping off stage and fighting in the air.

There is a ton of potential that nearly everyone can see, but not many seem to be using it! His speed, I see a lot of people just running in and stay in the fray. His speed can be used to reset spacing and set up for an approach. It can also be used for avoiding and punishing big attacks. A lot of people don't go off the stage or even go into the air from what I see, and thats a big part of his game.

This character received much praise when the game was first released, but has recently dropped of everyone's radar. "Zomg Sonic's in Brawl." "Zomg Sonic can't kill."

But with this character's ability to put the pressure on opponents with a constant offensive game, will this character be overlooked for much longer? His speed let's him get close if he wants to be close, as well as backing off. He can combo pretty well out of his approaches. He can come off the stage pretty far and still remain safe to gimp recoveries. He can chase people into the air pretty well considering he's not a floaty character. He's got a lot of options for approaching, which is good for remaining upredictable.

That's my take on it... but like every other time, I'll probably be wrong again. My second guess is Zamus <.<

Edited: Spelling

Napilopez

Smash Lord
"if it were sonic, it would say something along the lines of " there is potential that no one but sonic mains can see" sonic can't really apply offensive pressure just because his attacks are horrible."

Call me biased, but ZOMGROFLOL.

Not te be rude, but Sonic can't apply offensive pressure? Perhaps you haven't played a good enough sonic.

There are basically 2 ways to play Sonic. Hit and Run, or my preferred way, a constant pressure game.

Fair is a prtty good approach, decent priority.

Play a good sonic that knows to use his or her dashes right, and you'll see they can actually be viable approaches(invincibility frames FTW).

Anyways my guess is for Olimar or Sonic.

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice
I think its Pit, he is so hot right now. At first everyone thought he was god tier.. and then they discovered that there are easy ways of beating him.

Otherwise I think it is snake. Because snake is very easy to beat because hes slow and people with a shine and a sheild can just block his projectiles making him very easy to beat.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Otherwise I think it is snake. Because snake is very easy to beat because hes slow and people with a shine and a sheild can just block his projectiles making him very easy to beat.
snake was last week

"if it were sonic, it would say something along the lines of " there is potential that no one but sonic mains can see" sonic can't really apply offensive pressure just because his attacks are horrible."

Call me biased, but ZOMGROFLOL.

Not te be rude, but Sonic can't apply offensive pressure? Perhaps you haven't played a good enough sonic.

There are basically 2 ways to play Sonic. Hit and Run, or my preferred way, a constant pressure game.

Fair is a prtty good approach, decent priority.

Play a good sonic that knows to use his or her dashes right, and you'll see they can actually be viable approaches(invincibility frames FTW).

Anyways my guess is for Olimar or Sonic.
i can switch to wario, who i could not play if my life depended on it, and hit the b button every time sonic came to approach, and every time, i would eat sonic, i have seen this done, and i have done it to a friend, sonic has next to no priority, so the bite overrides every one of his attacks. the dashes does not have invincibility frames, they has whats known as decent priority, invincibility frames means that if they get hit during the move, you continue attacking, however, i just used the dash attack, the side b dash, and the downb dash on yoshis egg, and each time it either canceled the moves out, meaning it just has priority, or sonic got knocked away, meaning that not only does it not have invincibility, but its priority is not good at all. and as for the good sonic, ive played several sonics in socal tournaments, and depending on the brackets i may be playing lucky soon, maybe you just haven't played good people in general.

I think it's Sonic

This character is an unusual one for sure. Sonic is kind of unusual. For one, 2 of his specials are close to the same. Also, a lot of his potential is where he's not so fast, gimping off stage and fighting in the air.

There is a ton of potential that nearly everyone can see, but not many seem to be using it! His speed, I see a lot of people just running in and stay in the fray. His speed can be used to reset spacing and set up for an approach. It can also be used for avoiding and punishing big attacks. A lot of people don't go off the stage or even go into the air from what I see, and thats a big part of his game.

This character received much praise when the game was first released, but has recently dropped of everyone's radar. "Zomg Sonic's in Brawl." "Zomg Sonic can't kill."

But with this character's ability to put the pressure on opponents with a constant offensive game, will this character be overlooked for much longer? His speed let's him get close if he wants to be close, as well as backing off. He can combo pretty well out of his approaches. He can come off the stage pretty far and still remain safe to gimp recoveries. He can chase people into the air pretty well considering he's not a floaty character. He's got a lot of options for approaching, which is good for remaining upredictable.

That's my take on it... but like every other time, I'll probably be wrong again. My second guess is Zamus <.<

Edited: Spelling
sonic can combo decently with his sideb to an aerial, however after that everything can be air dodged

on top of this, most people who played him at e for all, including me, thought he was pretty bad

and he is not that good at gimping, all of his aerials hit diagonally upwards, allowing people to make it back to the stage with slightly more damage, but not putting them closer to death, and his strongest (bair) does not kill until 100. this leaves his upb gimps, and if someone gets gimped by that they deserve to die, unless you hit them with the top of the spring its about as good as snakes box gimp.

also, for the offensive pressure thing, the only effective sonic strategy that has actually won matches at a tournament is camping with his speed on a big stage like fd. he is bad at putting on pressure because when ever he attacks someone can use a tilt in whatever direction he comes from and knock him out of his momentum, which negates his speed and makes him very very hittable

Browny

Smash Hater
and he is not that good at gimping, all of his aerials hit diagonally upwards, allowing people to make it back to the stage with slightly more damage, but not putting them closer to death, and his strongest (bair) does not kill until 100. this leaves his upb gimps, and if someone gets gimped by that they deserve to die, unless you hit them with the top of the spring its about as good as snakes box gimp.

also, for the offensive pressure thing, the only effective sonic strategy that has actually won matches at a tournament is camping with his speed on a big stage like fd. he is bad at putting on pressure because when ever he attacks someone can use a tilt in whatever direction he comes from and knock him out of his momentum, which negates his speed and makes him very very hittable
and this is the exact reason people should actually bother to play JUST ONCE as a character before bagging them ffs.

Firstly (this is gonna take a while) His b-air sends enemies at around a 15* angle to the horizontal. thats seriously low, not many other characters even come close to getting that horizontal knocback. His fair isnt too different, comparable to wolfs b-air. His d-air however is a semi spike. it sends people BELOW the horizontal if you hit them right (not expected since barely anyone actualy plays sonic before giving an opinion). If an enemy is hit with that off the stage, they wont be coming back unless they are MK, kirby, Rob etc. whats wrong with his b-air killing at 100%? not many characters have aerials which kill lower except zelda.

and the CAMPING WITH HIS SPEED. wtf are you thinking. seriously

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
and this is the exact reason people should actually bother to play JUST ONCE as a character before bagging them ffs.

Firstly (this is gonna take a while) His b-air sends enemies at around a 15* angle to the horizontal. thats seriously low, not many other characters even come close to getting that horizontal knocback. His fair isnt too different, comparable to wolfs b-air. His d-air however is a semi spike. it sends people BELOW the horizontal if you hit them right (not expected since barely anyone actualy plays sonic before giving an opinion). If an enemy is hit with that off the stage, they wont be coming back unless they are MK, kirby, Rob etc. whats wrong with his b-air killing at 100%? not many characters have aerials which kill lower except zelda.

and the CAMPING WITH HIS SPEED. wtf are you thinking. seriously
my friend mained sonic for quite a long time, and every time he tried to gimp, he would hit me 1-2 times and then i would get back, this was with characters with crappy recovery like dk, c falcon, shiek, and falco. it sends them off at around a 30 to 70 degree angle, and most of the time i can just float myself back, depending on my percent i might have to use a second jump.

the fact that you think that sending them up at a15 degree angle and thinking that that is actually good shows you haven't touched half the roster, because most characters can send people downwards, either spiking, or using an attack that sends them straight back and or back at a 15-30 degree angle downwards, and the fact that it takes a nondiminished bair off the stage to kill at 100 is sad. i could name one attack for every character that can kill off stage before that. and i will do this if need be

and camping with his speed is what you call "hit and run" i played a sonic whos entire game plan was dash attack, then run away and stall with the homing attack whenever the tournament organizer looked away. his only major plus is that he can run away from people without projectiles forever.

also, dair does not spike, the closest it can do is hit someone against the stage and stage spike.

from the way youtalk i honestly doubt you have ever attended a tournament with people who actually knew what they were doing (the gamestop one on the release and tiny local gamestore tournies set to hyrule only single elimination don't really count)

however, this is getting off topic, we should continue this somewhere else, and discuss the character hinted at here

smashmanic123

Smash Cadet
The key phrase I think to look is the fact that this character is unusual. Sonic, and Toon Link are not that unusual. Toon Link is a different version of link, and Sonic's moveset isn't too surprising considering his character. Pit another one that has been mentioned can put pressure offensively just isn't unusual. Noone really went wtf??? as to how he works or plays at all when the game came out. Olimar and Wario really fit this description really well, As both recieved high praise when the game was released and the fact they are very unusual both visually and how they work as well. So those two would be my pick for next week either Olimar or Wario. Couple of Darkhorses though seem to be zss or ROB as both are kind of weird, one moreso then the other and how you play them is definitely different then how you would play most.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
my friend mained sonic for quite a long time, and every time he tried to gimp, he would hit me 1-2 times and then i would get back, this was with characters with crappy recovery like dk, c falcon, shiek, and falco. it sends them off at around a 30 to 70 degree angle, and most of the time i can just float myself back, depending on my percent i might have to use a second jump.
Then he must have been crap if he didn't kill you afte rhitting you 2 times while off the stage.
In fact if you were using a crappy recovery character like DK that makes him look even worse.
Your friend=/=Pro Sonic mainer.
Play interim ofZeal, or Lucky. THey'll be more than happy to show you how SOnic is supposed to be played.
the fact that you think that sending them up at a15 degree angle and thinking that that is actually good shows you haven't touched half the roster, because most characters can send people downwards, either spiking, or using an attack that sends them straight back and or back at a 15-30 degree angle downwards, and the fact that it takes a nondiminished bair off the stage to kill at 100 is sad. i could name one attack for every character that can kill off stage before that. and i will do this if need be[/qote]
Could you also state the fact that those attacks only kill when they aren't DI'ed or stopped with a second jump?
Or the fact you have to be near the edge of the arena?
Not counting power characters of course.
and camping with his speed is what you call "hit and run" i played a sonic whos entire game plan was dash attack, then run away and stall with the homing attack whenever the tournament organizer looked away. his only major plus is that he can run away from people without projectiles forever.
Camping with his speed is not what Sonic should be doing. He only can do that against a few characters.
His game relies on pressuring.
from the way youtalk i honestly doubt you have ever attended a tournament with people who actually knew what they were doing (the gamestop one on the release and tiny local gamestore tournies set to hyrule only single elimination don't really count)
Don't need a tournament to know how you're supposed to play a character or how their moves work.,

Just nitpicking.
I am bored sadly T_T

HolySmokes

Smash Rookie
Anyone noticing how this could be the backrooms way of revealing the tier list?

Its too soon to tell but so far it seems pretty legit to me.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
The next one is probably diddy, He got a ton of praise at first but now people kind of forgot about him. And if bananas, face **** and jet packs aren't unusual idk what is. The bananas have a lot of potential it's just that it seems a lot of people have stopped playing him.

otg

Smash Master
Anyone noticing how this could be the backrooms way of revealing the tier list?

Its too soon to tell but so far it seems pretty legit to me.
Definitely not, Wolf is by no means as good as Snake, Meta or GDubs. This is probably done in order of popularity amongst the SBR, or it was done based on how complete they felt their analysis was of each character (as in the SBR is still discussing the rest of the characters).

Regardless, there is no way this can be the tier list, it's way too early to have an accurate one, although Snake and Meta are most likely top tier.

Browny

Smash Hater
no, it doesnt. 30-70* is only a n-air or fair. the d-air DOES semi spike, you just have to sweet spot it. when you get hit by that off the stage as any one fo those characters, you die.

Top Bottom