• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
its laggy, but its unpunishable. no character in the game has a roll-dodge longer than the fsmash range, if its countered, it doesnt hit lucario, and it lingers for such a long time if anyone slower than MK tries to run up and dash attack after the attack is over lucario can put up his shield, it has very little ending lag
How to dodge Lucario's Fsmash: Press Y! VOILA!

Fsmash has NO vertical range. It's easy as hell to jump over and punish with an aerial.

Browny

Smash Hater
by that logic every attack is punishable. MK's dsmash has probably a similar amount of ending lag as lucarios fsmash (17 frames, remember the hitbox lingers for a large time of the animation), but thats probably the most unpunishable move in the game. by comparison, marths fsmash has about 39 frames of ending lag. so unless a character is more than twice as fast as required to punish a whiffed marth fsmash everytime, punishing lucarios in only 17 frames is easier said than done. dont forget the ridiculous range on it makes punishing with anyone slower than MK near impossible.

i think its safe to say no character can short-hop over the fsmash range + aerial in 17 frames

goodkid

Smash Lord
Yeah I'd say Lucario or Ness. Ness is very aerial, and he has a great pressuring game with his fair, and then you can do another rising fair, that is similar to Squirtle's Waterfall. Ness can just attack, and jump and attack without being hit. I bet its Lucario though, because when I saw the "read opponents well," that has Lucario's name written all over.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I haven't played DK too much, but can't you shield grab a good portion of his attacks because of his lack of disjointed hitboxes?
That would seem to take away the shield pressure hint.
I guess you could say that, but due to his crazy range with most attacks, even if the hitboxes arent disjointed they dont need to be, you are too far away for them to grab to begin with, not to mention that if you are playing DK, your opponent should be the ones worried about getting shield grabbed because DK has a great grab range.

Furthermore he has one of the best shield poking attacks in the game with his down b. If your opponents shield isnt still touching the ground, they get hit. His side b takes a huge chunk out of his opponents shield as well. Not to mention Im pretty sure that most of his attacks will push back the person shielding so unless they perfect shield your attack, they are too far away to do anything to you, and even if they do they still might be too far away.

Shök

Smash Champion
If there were one word to describe this character, it would be "spacing." Spacing is the key to this character, and those who can master it will frustrate almost any opponent they play against. But this character also requires you to read your opponent well, as most of the character's attacks are punishable, but they are exceptional at punishing. With a shield pressure game that few can rival, and surprisingly effective (and quite unusual) combos on some characters, this character is most definitely one to be afraid of in the right hands.

Can you guess who next week's character will be?

OK. Do I really need to make a chart?
NO.

Marth fits this perfectly.

If there were one word to describe this character, it would be "spacing." Spacing is the key to this character, and those who can master it will frustrate almost any opponent they play against.

Tippers

But this character also requires you to read your opponent well, as most of the character's attacks are punishable, but they are exceptional at punishing.

True, Up B gets owned all the time, but Tipped Fsmash/Shield breaker are great

With a shield pressure game that few can rival, and surprisingly effective (and quite unusual) combos on some characters, this character is most definitely one to be afraid of in the right hands.

Shield pressure is one of his strongest assets.
I can't name any unusual comboz, but I bet there are.
And who Wouldn't be afraid of a good Marth?

OK, besides Snake.

Edit: Watch me be wrong LOL

Ace55

Smash Lord
Strangely enough I think it's Marth or Wario.

Both have amazing shield pressure game (I would say Wario more so than Marth). Marth is naturally all about spacing, is mostly punishable when he misses and can indeed annoy the hell out of you. Don't know too much about his combo game though.

Although most of Wario's attacks fall in the category, the closer the better, basically the whole match you're spacing yourself to keep outside of the reach of the opponent and look for an opening. Wario plays an excelent punishment game, has quite a few combos and has indeed a shield pressure game that few can rival. And of course, he naturally annoys the opponent (he's pretty much unrivaled in that too).

I'm hoping for Wario, just because, well... you know.

fujbubccc

Smash Apprentice
I think when they say spacing they are meaning something more than just "Hit the opponent without being hit." This character requires spacing above and beyond the standard stuff.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
One reason why i think its Marth is because EL keeps on posting...but then again he might have done so to fool people.

Nestec

Smash Ace
DK sounds pretty close, but I'm not sure about how good his shield-pressuring game is.

Mangiks

Smash Rookie
I'd say #16 is Marth becos of the spacing thing, didnt really care what it said about shield pressure.

All that i thought was spacing = Marth

Will_

Smash Journeyman
It's DK or Marth. If it's somebody else, I'll stop saying "that's what she said" at every sexually plausible phrase.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
i really don't think it's marth because none of his combos are unusual. Wario unusual altogether i'd go with wario on this one

Trapt497

Smash Ace
The extent of this move's range in front of and behind Samus is two weak hitboxes which are so weak your opponent can punish you before you're done with the Smash, and charging has no effect on them. Next hitbox in is moderately strong, but its strength and damage are unaffected by charging, thus is only useful without charging, and in every situation, Plasma Whip is better. The only useful part of the move has horrible range, and takes forever to charge. It's just a bad move. It just is.
its laggy, but its unpunishable. no character in the game has a roll-dodge longer than the fsmash range, if its countered, it doesnt hit lucario, and it lingers for such a long time if anyone slower than MK tries to run up and dash attack after the attack is over lucario can put up his shield, it has very little ending lag
Ok got it. Thanks guys.

DK sounds pretty close, but I'm not sure about how good his shield-pressuring game is.
I'm not sure either. But I think it could very likely be him. Lots of his moves are great for spacing, and others, though they can be punished due to lag, are powerful. With quick and effective aerials he's capable of unusual combos.

Sorry, but can someone please quickly explain to me what shield-pressuring is? I tried using the search bar but couldn't find an answer...

i really don't think it's marth because none of his combos are unusual. Wario unusual altogether i'd go with wario on this one
I don't think its wario...he's not too great at spacing and not many of his moves are that punishable. But I agree that he's unusal altogether haha.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I don't think its wario...he's not too great at spacing and not many of his moves are that punishable.
Are you kidding? Which of his ground moves AREN'T punishable? As for his spacing game... it's important, but in the complete opposite way as most characters. He needs to stay away until there's an opening for him to get close and reap the benefits.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
One reason why i think its Marth is because EL keeps on posting...but then again he might have done so to fool people.
>_>

CRAP THEIR ON TO ME!!!!!!

*Sneaks out of thread under the cover of darkness.

cutter

Smash Champion
The hint is quite obvious that it points to Marth.

- Spacing, spacing, spacing
- Range frustrates many
- Punishable kill moves, so Marth kills by punishing the opponent (hah, two birds with one stone!)
- No mention of a projectile!

:-E

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
YES I KNEW IT WAS PICACHU!!! 3 wins in a row! lol. (i just came back from almost a week of marching band camp so i havent been checking here).

the hint 16 reminds me of Marth/Yoshi just as my very first thoughts.

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
this all fits Wario too...
the shield pressure with the bite, and shield eating Dair
the spacing with his amazing mobility, if you have good spacing it greatly reduces opponents options
the strange combos... sorta idk...
>.> mabey.

Timbers

check me out
Wario has interesting combos, but I don't think any are character specific. You can correct me on that if you want.

Wario has very good spacing, but not to the extent of say, DK or Marth.

He fits it better than ZSS or Lucario though.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
Finally its going to be marth. If you ever try to play marth competitively then you know, all he is, is spacing and punishing, breaking shields and reading your opponent. Very hard to play but deadly in a skilled player's hand.

It's also not just that marth has "good" spacing. Spacing defines marth because you need to have absolutely perfect spacing while playing him. Tipping = Perfect Spacing

There's really no way this cannot be marth

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Are you kidding? Which of his ground moves AREN'T punishable? As for his spacing game... it's important, but in the complete opposite way as most characters. He needs to stay away until there's an opening for him to get close and reap the benefits.
Well, I was mostly thinking about Wario's aerial game. But what moves of his are you refering to? His smashes? And can he pull off 'unusual combos?' (if he can, I'm assuming his aerials are involved).

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Finally its going to be marth. If you ever try to play marth competitively then you know, all he is, is spacing and punishing, breaking shields and reading your opponent. Very hard to play but deadly in a skilled player's hand.

It's also not just that marth has "good" spacing. Spacing defines marth because you need to have absolutely perfect spacing while playing him. Tipping = Perfect Spacing

There's really no way this cannot be marth
Ya, I agree with you 100% sheep from the ghetto! but seriously, the discussion at this point is useless, it's obviously Marth!

Dyyne

Smash Ace
I'd say Marth or Olimar, because Olimar is sort of a Marthy character, in that they both eavily rely on spacing, and "unusual combos", well Olimar is unusual enough that I'd say his combos would qualify. I don't know of any unusual Marth combos, so there's my guess.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
This description fits Link the best but he was already done.

If they plan to separate pokemon trainer I would have chosen Ivysaur but I don't think they will do that.

I also want to say marth but I don't think he is that punishable as his moves are quick but his tipper game does involve excellent spacing.

I suppose I will say wario.

But I would rather guess Link again......they should do him twice...this description almost fits him better than the description hint they gave Link the first time.....

Top Bottom