• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I dont get it... sounds like you guys are talking about a different ruleset but... the first post looks the same... other than the start time?

This is only change, but there may be more updates later on. Also schedule changed as you said.

VVVVVVVVV

Smash WiiU ruleset - One ban during counterpick only. The rest remains the same

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Heads up since lots of people don't read the OP if they're regulars

Doubles now costs dollars, this is to encourage people being more competitive in teams as well as solidifying much more long term teams and hopefully we can level up our teams meta as a state.

Nin*Rose

Strange isn't it!
NNID
Nezzy1991
Huh?... lols this is all whacked up :p

Of course you didnt say anything like that Atilla... :D I was questioning Earl's comment. he said "He won't be entering smash 4 singles. The ruleset won't allow him to compete without getting timed out."

That's why I questioned the timer...

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
umm what about castle siege guys... thought that was also the plan.
@ earla earla changing to only one ban wasn't really discussed before it was posted previously; what has been discussed since is a 7 stage list with one ban, but it looks like it's 8 stages. Not sure if this is because we forgot to also mention to remove Castle Siege to Joey or just decided not to without talking about it again.

Also "only one ban per counterpick stage" doesn't make any sense Joey even though I know what you mean.

Smash 4 stagelist for singles:
(This months theme is being moderately conservative!)
Starters:
Battlefield, Smashville, Town And City
Counterpicks:
Final Destination, Halberd, Lylat, Delfino Plaza.

note: Castle Siege and Duck Hunt have been removed. Duck Hunt's removal is in order to avoid having too many stages that are similar and benefitting the same characters (this is to create less bias)

Last edited:

Bijou

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind banning Duck Hunt. What other stages are too similar to it?

If anything, the most 'similar' stages are Town and City and Smashville in my opinion.

Not trying to start any issues, I'm just interested in hearing a slightly more detailed explanation on what you're trying to accomplish by removing Duck Hunt.

Meredy

The Busterina
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind banning Duck Hunt. What other stages are too similar to it?

If anything, the most 'similar' stages are Town and City and Smashville in my opinion.

Not trying to start any issues, I'm just interested in hearing a slightly more detailed explanation on what you're trying to accomplish by removing Duck Hunt.
Unrelated: Is your name from Hamtaro? I loved Hamtaro.

Splice

Smash Hero
You've misunderstood, it's not about 2 stages being similar only in regards to each other.
It's about having a good balance of stages so that no large group of characters is getting shafted by too many platforms/not enough platforms/too many big stages/too many small stages etc.

Duck Hunt, Town and City, Smashville and FD are all in the group of having a low amount of platform interference, and this is too much of a presence for that type of stage in a 7 stage list.
7 is the minimum number of stages you can have to keep a single ban each in a best of 5, so it is a good number for a conservative trial.

Hopefully that's enough for you to understand why one of DH, T&C, SV or FD had to go.
As to why we chose Duck Hunt...
I wanted FD (or T&C) removed personally, since I think Duck Hunt provides some interesting features in other areas, such as extreme length. I could give a more detailed explanation on why FD should be removed, because that's my opinion, however that's not the case.
But arguments against Duck Hunt could include; It is the most chaotic of those 4 stages, there is still concern of circle camping in few MU's, isn't an alternative to FD for some characters because some characters might want a flat stage but without heaps of space and maybe we want to keep that option ; it's too big? and the dog is an asshole
This didn't reflect on the decision but I'd like to point anything that nerfs Sonic is a good thing too :sonic:

Last edited:

Izzago

Over 80 entrants for melee? Damn I love this community.

Thanks to CW for allowing me to be a part of these events. Its really given me something to be passionate about that I can see the results of. So good.

Shoutouts to the TO team, killed it today. Dreadtech, Joey, AzuraSarah, V and Dekar put in so much work. We're lucky to have such a reliable team behind the desk. Whenever things started to go off track, it wasn't long before everything was fixed.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with seeding the brackets. I'm beyond hopeless when it comes to that stuff. Though, I would like to bring Splice into the seeding discussions, since he has a good mindset about it.

Shoutouts to everyone who made my return from going awol with depression so pleasant. Especially Dreadtech and Joey for talking me into entering Melee. My first set was one kind of fun, but the last one against Earl really reminded me why I play this game in the first place.

So with that, shoutout to Earl for the incredibly fun set. Getting destroyed rarely feels so good, I seriously had a smile on my face the entire set. Can't wait for next time!

Good stuff JKTS, your a giant killer now. A few months ago I thought I could go toe to toe with you, now I can see that I'd be way out of my depth.

Also MGK and his sick Ganondorf.

Have to give a special mention to Atticus, since it felt wrong advancing so far in the bracket when I should have been taken out earlier by you. Hope everyting works out and we see you at the next tournament.

And a general shoutout to the community for giving us major tournament numbers every month. Makes the TO job so difficult but so much more rewarding.

Meredy

The Busterina
Just the one shoutout from me because I was having a really bad day in general and didn't enjoy myself nearly as much as I normally do.

Shoutouts to Leisha because... Wow, damn. Like, I don't think you realise how much that necklace means to me. You're so damn thoughtful and I hope I can return the favour at some point.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Just a note to the TO team...

Everything started late, and finished late. That can be off-putting for everyone, especially new players, who don't know what's going on .

Bracket matches need to be enforced and followed up. Can't rely on entrants to organise themselves unfortunately.

Otherwise good to See new people stepping it up.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I think it really would've helped a lot of we had the mic straight away. There's so many new people that getting some brackets completed is a headache. Was handy having the challonge powers though so I could fill in heaps of games :) add me for next time too! Leishachu is my username for it.

Anyway I thought this tournament would be smaller, but it was BIGGER. Lol

Awesome tournament :) can't wait to see some games uploaded. Some shoutouts soon.

earla

Smash Lord
ite shoutouts.

izago: melee prety fun
tibz: gratz on S4 win. shame we didn play cos it wud've been a good display. old schools rivalries rite.
viva: lucky i got that clutch ko punch at the end of the set cos i was getin wreakt. dont quit
attila: why do we keep playin in melee.. what the *** is wrong with this place.
deez: nice headphones
ignis: GG's nice game 1
splice: i really dig how much you and tom have developed as players in melee. i need more experience with this char and soon enuf we'll haf good sets all round.
leish: love it wen u dunk me.
joey: nice shirt man.. please go clubbin in that get up.
redact: nice doc joke. i'll vouch for you to commentate Smash 4.
dread: god TO homie
dekar: retiring? yeh rite
nicks: master of the doubles. was just an off day.

special shoutout to villyness for always being there for me and making smash eZ. xoxoxox

E

Last edited:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Shoutouts to Ryan for being the best teammate in za warudo and for Jei for clutching some wins and helping me fraud my way into a Melee top 8 :).

Bijou

Smash Cadet
Shoutout to Viva for almost making me die of laughter. If you don't come to the next monthly I'll come get you myself and drag you there.

Dean and Rhyno won doubles 2-1 against Jei and Khoa by the way Dreadtech.

Last edited:

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
Ok making my employee work instead of me, perks of being boss, shoutouts time huehuehuehue

I'll make an fb post soonish about our current situation, we did well considering it was biggest attendance in history but we always have room to improve (strict sign up close times, Tighter DQ times, more TO stuff on our end, all in all we are getting way too big to be able to accommodate people and be lenient, please understand)

Attila - Blame Joey for s4 singles, good work with dekar, I don't remember telling you I switched to focus on melee but yeh I did haha

Joey - Good Job as always, mad phone skills at miles' place. Chatting with drunk Honest Joey is good

Splice - Good job on 3rd man, back to original power.

Tibs - eyyyyyyy boss, back in top form, just like I knew you would, you're too smart to get dunked again

ViVa - Watching you yell like a madman was definitely a highlight, don't stop improving mate, you have a good future ahead.

Leisha - CUPCAAAAKES! no hitmonchan sticker </3, that glitch was not worth getting up for :p

AzuraSarah - You may not be able to TO just yet but your bracket running and chasing of matches are top tier already. We need people like you.

Izzago - Would be dead without you mate, saving grace

Snoc - you coming early and helping and staying late and packing is awesome man, I remember bopping you in CCH on saturday for the first time, really good to see you become a regular mainstay now. Play more melee. Terran scum

Neeson - Next time....

Tyler - GG, I need to learn the snake matchup, I'll learn it and whoop you next time, your break out performance today, try to keep it up

MGK - Get an uptilt against me in melee I buy you a can

Peter and Jacks (or jax) - GG's boys, you guys have steady improvement, keep working on it

Jomwo - GG's, game one was close, game 2 you picked me apart and I SD'd, based abe lincoln prevails again

Floggo - good to see you mate

Juci - Luigi mate...luigi

Earl - Good talk broski, you'll def get to where you wanna be, but it's up to you which road to take whether it be keeping with mac or picking up a secondary.

Redact - Good to see you make it

Dookar - lelelelelel girl in front lelelelelel

Villyness - good come back, thanks for chocolates, keep being you

Shoutouts to fish n chips crew

Shoutout to Miles' pad and the HOC Boys

Last edited:

MGK

Smash Apprentice
Had a fun day even though I'm very disappointed with my results and I'll defiantly try and bring all of ganondorf's power next time before BAM!

Shout out Time:

Smash 4

Reepup:
Hope you had a lot of fun at your first tourney, hope to see your little mac again. Hope I made a good first impression for you and the smash scene.

Deez: Fun set, hopefully next time I can win, just need to learn how to punish rolls efficiently and understand smash 4 a little better. I also had fun in Melee friendlies, it was fun reading your rolls and techs, made me get plenty of Stomps! :p

Florez: Very fun set! Very nice Up B kill with your Luigi but I think my ganondorf Up Tilt won that battle. Also, you roll way too much but then again, you were rolling away from ganondorf, which I can't do much about it, so ... GG's? :p

PM

Riley:
Fun vsing your Lucas even though the set didn't count. Good warm up practice.

Gem: Solid Peach, if you ever want tips, you can ask Mezer and I'm sure he would love to share some wisdom.

Forte: Congrats on this close set, your falcon is solid and very different to the standard falcon. Needed time to adjust and nearly took game 3 but that SD really cost me but good win none the less. Also, the score was 2 - 1, not 2 - 0.

Tomo009: Great win and thank you so much for the friendlies afterwards. It really helped me out a lot! Even though the MU is very odd and very different to normal MU's, meant a lot to forward my ganondorf MU knowledge. Next time in tourney, our set will be much closer and I defiantly respect you as a player and best Lucario. :)

Melee

Nano: Had a ton of fun in this set. Nice Falco and BEWARE THE UP TILT!

Dreadtech: What can I say, this was probably the funnest set in tourney I had yesterday. Keep up your fox, it's getting there slowly. Would defiantly love a free can, so next time.... BEWARE THE UP TILT! Also, it was 2 - 1, not 2 - 0.

Tux: Good set, sorry for not putting too much of a fight .... but BEWARE THE UP TILT!

Other Shout outs

V:
Congrats on 2nd place in Smash 4, back into the top 3 again, knew you could do it! :)

Tyler: Thank you for the PM friendlies, your snake is amazing and no wonder you came 5th. Keep it up and you'll be hopefully top 3 soon enough. Thanks for your kind words about my Ganondorf, I'm glad he was able to take a game off of your snake in a little best of 3 set. :) Hope to vs you in tourney next time and create an amazing close set!

Skeletom: Thank you so much for your kind words about my ganondorf in melee, means a lot to me as I've been in the air as I'm not sure if I should continue playing melee for the last few months. You have given me confidence in my play and I would love to have a friendly with you in melee sometime. :)

SD: Thank you for that little conversation, I know PM isn't your game but you still listened to me about the game and Ganondorf. Would love some coaching from you in the future if possible. :) Congrats on 1st place in melee as well.

Dekar: Had fun playing friendlies against you in smash 4. Your falcon is really good, glad you liked my ganondorf even though he is ..... terrible and hopefully next time we can finish off a match or a set, your Falcon vs my Bowser Jr!

Edit: Forgot to shout to IZZAGO! Thank you so much, my ganondorf will stay and always will be sick!

Last edited:

ViVa

Smash Ace
Oh god I shouldn't post things when I'm tired.

Tibs: Good job not getting dunked. When's training?
Earl: My Marths not good woops. If you're going to pick up another character Sheiks a good choice imo. Closest thing to MK in this game probably.
Bijou: Sorry about singles. Sorry about my commentary. Sorry about everything.
Boozer: Sorry about Mario bby hes a meanie weenie.
Dean and Rhyno: Did we have good games? All I remember is my loss of sanity tbh.
V and Splice: Sorry I went nuts I was tired.
Jei and Khoa: Sorry for distracting Jei I'm a dummy.
Leisha: Thanks for not punching me during doubles, I know you wanted to probably idk.
EvenStephen: Best commentator in forever.
Guys that I played casuals with at the start of the day: Iunno why you all wanted to play me but gg anyway.
Dread: Sorry dad.
T.O desk crew: THANKS GUYS YOU ARE THE COOL GUY MVPS.
The old brawl players: OH GOD I DIDNT RECOGNISE ANY OF YOU. It was cool to see you all again though.

See you all next monthly or whatever.

Bijou

Smash Cadet
Bijou: Sorry about singles. Sorry about my commentary. Sorry about everything.
No need. I didn't play singles that well so you deserved to beat me ; )

Also your commentary is literally the thing I'm most looking forward to when I edit all that footage. You need to be on my BAM commentary team.

ShadowRhyno

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShadowRhyno
Thanks for the great days guys, I'm hoping to see you all next month!

Shoutouts to Dean for carrying me in doubles all the way to first, those 2v1 comebacks, you should get sick more often or something.
Viva: I legit almost died from laughing during your doubles lol, so funny and so many people missed it, pls come next time.
Jei: Thanks for beating me in singles, at least we got revenge in doubles!
V: Good to see you mostly didn't autopilot this time around, it'll be tough to predict what you're doing now.
Leisha: Good stuff on 5th, I told you that you could do it, just be confident!
Boozer: Mad team work, did you realise it was doubles or thought it was 2v1v1? Jokes aside, good to see you.
Bijou: We finally didn't have to play in bracket! Maybe next time we will meet in finals if we keep practising.
Khoa: Good to see you man, keep on practising and you'll place better than Jei ;) (Jk Jei, I do think he can do really well though)
To everyone else: Thanks all for coming and making the day a great event.

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
Three of my four of my matches yesterday were spent playing Captain Falcon. Beginning to feel like a real smasher now, playing against the same characters multiple times in a row.

First of all, major shoutouts to Joey, Izzago, Dreadtech and that one other guy whose name I don't know for being awesome (Or gullible) enough to let me shout into a microphone all day. I respect you all a lot more for the work you do at these events now that I understand a small portion of your pain and I'd like to help you guys out next time.

Other than that, one quick shoutout and a silly comment:

Jacks: Sorry that I didn't get time to have some friendlies with you. Your Mario is pretty solid, I'll expect you'll deal better with me next time we clash.

MattG, Ignis and Astra: Halberd laser and Mr. Saturn double shield break hype!

Last edited:

NanoHologuise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3110-6094-3408
Ok, so. Shoutouts.

Tyler: Moving up in the world, I see. People will learn the snake matchup eventually :p Thanks for the company, friendlies, bodying me in general, and being a massive ******** when "pressing the buttons that make me win" as Lucario. And recover from the emotional trauma of getting sacred combo'd before the next monthly please.

Slamdunk: Thanks for the friendlies, low tier battles, in melee, and being a nice combo weight as Ike in PM and still janking it out with a few FSmashes. Ness teams at low tier only tournaments? :)

Tomo: Thanks for mock-doubles with the afore-mentioned people. Break those flowcharting habits, more Dash Attack > ASC, I need to take some lessons from you at some point.

Lincoln: Thanks for the friendlies and conversation. Less aggressive gimps would take your falcon a long way :p

MGK: ****ing Dorf xD I land a few good combos and then I get hit twice and RIP. Didn't get uptilted, thank god (I think. Maybe it caused trauma and amnesia).

Dekar: Hey, at least you didn't 4 stock me second game!

Hyes: We didn't even play Smash 4 and I still hate your character :)

Everybody who TO'd, props to you, keep doing what you do.

Everyone else who I forgot, I forgot.

Top Bottom