• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official + Smash 4 [VIC] General Thread - Next events: MILTIM 11 JUN, CWMELEE+PM 18 JUN, CW S4ROA 25 JUN

S.D

Smash Master
Why skyloft over Skyworld? Skyworld is the 1 with clouds as platforms, skyloft just jank and bad and make me cry at night

FoD should be starter but I just gotta be bias cos sanic is life

CPs
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone
Distant Planet?
Skyworld/Skyloft?
Because Skyworld is stupid? Dumb clouds with ambiguous grounding, random platform design, getting caught under the solid parts of the level, it's just a silly stage. Skyloft is fine, I'm guessing you take issue with the stairs section but I think that it's a good addition to balance out CG's given the height of the main platform.

Jamwa

Smash Champion
Because Skyworld is stupid? Dumb clouds with ambiguous grounding, random platform design, getting caught under the solid parts of the level, it's just a silly stage. Skyloft is fine, I'm guessing you take issue with the stairs section but I think that it's a good addition to balance out CG's given the height of the main platform.
Getting caught under the stage also happens on skyloft, but basically the little gazebo thing and the stairs just make characters face either into the air or into the ground and it can be a bit stupid. It even slows down movement when going up and stuff like that. If the slopes didnt change the angle my character was facing by 45 degrees then i'd consider it a legitimate stage to play on but when you're in those positions you have no reliable grounded options. i dont totally mind it being legal though, I just think ambiguous clouds (i've kinda figured out where the platform is though) are not as bad as suddenly my move's hitboxes are in the ground Lylat's not as horrible as skyloft as the whole stage slants and even if your hitbox is going down the opponent is lowered also (except for where the slants meet the level part of the stage). anyway, either 1 of 3 is fine for me, ill just ban it.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
What about this idea: no cps

Neutrals:

PS2
FOD
FD
Yoshis
BF
DL
smashville

1 ban in bo5 and 2 bans in bo3

why have jank stages exist in the first place? like there are clear issues with some (skyanything, lylat) and some not too straightforward issues (warioware SUPER small, distant planet pretty huge, green hill pretty weird platform ect)

so rather than debate about the flatness or such of a level, we can just keep it conservative?

PM stagelist still for debate here at RMIT and future tournaments

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I have no problem with Yoshi's Island, Pokemon Stadium 1, WarioWare and Green Hill Zone.
YI is necessary imo, PS1 is fine, WW is pretty much Yoshis story.
green hill zone is perfect stage platform is perfect scenery is perfect sonic is perfect
skyloft i dun like but thats what bans are for
i like cps pls keep them only starters is bore
Lylat and skyloft are just extremely not flat whereas both yoshis aren't really game-changing.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
What about this idea: no cps

Neutrals:

PS2
FOD
FD
Yoshis
BF
DL
smashville

1 ban in bo5 and 2 bans in bo3
Nah...

Dracula's is just too big, infinite blastzones and mammoth field.
Dracula's is a bit longer than Dreamland, but shorter than PS2/PS1. Blastzones are far away, like Dreamland. Assuming no DI, C.Falcon dies to Pika's Upsmash at 94 at FoD,98 at Dracula's,and 104 at Dreamland.

With all the platforms and size of stage fox/falco can camp with impunity on this stage.
Size maybe, platforms I'm not sure about since they move around a lot.

I hated skyworld at first but I started to see potential, but ambiguous grounding like S.D said still pisses me off too. Skyloft is a bit iffy, so I'm perfectly fine with both of those stages removed.

PS2 is a longer stage than Distant Planet. Distant Planet has above average ceiling (just a bit lower than FoD, CF died at 92). Much rather face a spacie here than PS2.

Metal Cavern ceiling is around the same as FoD, but other small stages make this place irrelevant/redundant? Unsure

Version 3

Starters:
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks:
Yoshi's Island
Distant Planet
Pokemon Stadium 1
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone
Dracula's Castle
Metal Cavern

Your thoughts guys? I'd much rather die from campy shenanigans than dying from a failed recovery on ******** stages.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I like Dracula's Castle a lot actually.

Roof is pretty low for a stage which looks so large. Platforms don't necessarily turn into easy circle camp scenarios like they do in other games and they do transition rather quickly. I don't know if its RNG though (I suspect it's static); if you've ever been on the stage to the last minute or two, they basically put an FD above the FD so you can FD while you FD. With platform drops and wave lands all the time.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Version 3

Starters:
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks:
Yoshi's Island
Distant Planet
Pokemon Stadium 1
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone
Dracula's Castle
Metal Cavern
The only change i would make to this is to put skyloft in instead of metal cavern, metal cavern really blows in doubles, but is also still heniously big for its actual stage size. If anything though i feel like skyloft is a pretty deep and complex stage that people are just not willing to invest time into compared to our standard melee style stages which are pretty straightforward.

I love me some skyloft

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
The only change i would make to this is to put skyloft in instead of metal cavern, metal cavern really blows in doubles, but is also still heniously big for its actual stage size. If anything though i feel like skyloft is a pretty deep and complex stage that people are just not willing to invest time into compared to our standard melee style stages which are pretty straightforward.

I love me some skyloft
I like skyloft's design too! But the ceiling and lower blastline is too low for my liking. Metal Cavern does indeed looks bad for doubles though so leave it for singles only then? If we add in skyloft with Distant Planet and Dracula's, there would be many long stages; those two stages seem more fair compared to Skyloft.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I like skyloft's design too! But the ceiling and lower blastline is too low for my liking. Metal Cavern does indeed looks bad for doubles though so leave it for singles only then? If we add in skyloft with Distant Planet and Dracula's, there would be many long stages; those two stages seem more fair compared to Skyloft.
skyloft over draculas imo easy

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
skyloft over draculas imo easy
Actually I changed my mind, it's not too bad.
metal cavern really blows in doubles, but is also still heniously big for its actual stage size.
Metal Cavern sucks for doubles because lack of area to move around, it's blastlines are very similar to FoD, so why is FoD considered a neutral? Don't let the camera angles fool you the ceiling practically the same as FoD.

Version 4:

Starters:
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks:
Yoshi's Island
Distant Planet
Pokemon Stadium 1
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone
Skyloft
Dracula's Castle

Single's only counterpick:
Metal Cavern

Jamwa

Smash Champion
idot*

if metal caverns is in singles we should probs make Distant planet for dubs

Distant Planet and Metal Caverns kinda seem overboard to me in terms of CPs

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
cant be a hasbeen if you neverwas, Phil
bad influence on the community total bully banned forever

on actual stages:

FoD is neutral because its not as small as metal cavern as a stage itself. It has multiple platforms and the movement provides a nice (but not always loved) dynamic where as metal cavern is small and static in comparison. It provides nothing beneficial and the excessive size with the small stage itself is detracting from the gameplay

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
no pls sir i jus wan 2 play game

.......................................................w3w

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Since I'm unable to convince anyone that Distant Planet is legit, I'll make a new list.

Version 5:

Starters:
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Fountain of Dreams
Distant Planet (Doubles only, banned in singles)

Counterpicks:
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone
Skyloft
Dracula's Castle

Metal Cavern isn't getting much love, it's okay to leave that out I guess. Skyloft is still under heavy debate...

Even if Distant Planet isn't legal in Singles at least exposure in teams might make people reconsider about it's viability.

Btw is Yoshi's Story legal in Doubles?

Nido

ily Sebby
Yoshi's story is illegal in doubles.

I don't know why ps1 is getting so much love when there are less janky stages that are completely viable, from the current stage list replacing ps1 with metal cavern and lylat with distant planet looks good to me.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
we should try to avoid large stage list discrepancy between singles and doubles, also ys being banned in doubles is news to me (why is it even banned?)

move dp to to counterpicks and its legal in both singles and dubs then your list is fine 1am

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
move dp to to counterpicks and its legal in both singles and dubs then your list is fine 1am
It is extremely hard to satisfy everyone, but at least I have a Redact approved stage list

Starters:
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks:
Yoshi's Island
Distant Planet (replaces Lylat Cruise)
Pokemon Stadium 1
WarioWare
Green Hill Zone
Skyloft
Dracula's Castle (replaces Skyworld)

I don't know why ps1 is getting so much love when there are less janky stages that are completely viable, from the current stage list replacing ps1 with metal cavern and lylat with distant planet looks good to me.
After some self testing, I concluded that Metal Cavern is more iffy than it looks. The right blast line is closer to the stage compared to the left one by a significant amount. I don't know of any other legal stages that suffer from such a trait.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
ps1 and skyloft are jank, wario has insanely small sides
but we get 3 bans right? whatevs..

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
ps1 and skyloft are jank, wario has insanely small sides
but we get 3 bans right? whatevs..
I rather keep 14 stages legal, makes it easier for people to understand/adjust which stages are banned at the Stage Select Screen, i.e bottom row starters and middle row CP.

Splice

Smash Hero
skyloft is ****ing ******** honestly can't believe anyone thinks it's legit for tournament play
if that was added as DLC to Brawl or Melee right now, it wouldn't be touched for a second as a tournament legal stage.

Guess it's ok if P:M has it though, game relies on jank to remain interesting amirite :awesome:

Also don't understand the hate for stages like Dracula's/Green Hill Zone.
They're just like Smashville with different moving platform assortments and I think Dracula's platforms are really interesting like FoDs.
In terms of blast zone craziness being an issue Green Hill is smaller and Dracula's is larger and Smashville in the middle.
I agree with Redact that WarioWare is probably the borderline for blast zones being too ridiculous one way or the other.

Serious though: If you wanna keep it simple for newbies 1&% then just use bottom row only, 7 stages perfect number (lets you have bans in a best of 5 **** yeah kids)

Jamwa

Smash Champion
I'm glad we don't have Lylat though, it is possible to sweetspot the ledge from underneath the stage using Fox/Falco's Side-b which is just not even can made sense be out of

WarioWare to me is just Yoshi's Story with different platforms and no randall so it's a niche stage for characters. It is probably too good for characters like Fox and Wolf though because the platforms stop CGs and they kill everyone sub 80 with the right move. I just like it because colours.

I really want cps though, green hill zone and yoshis island at the least...

Last edited:

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Serious though: If you wanna keep it simple for newbies 1&% then just use bottom row only, 7 stages perfect number (lets you have bans in a best of 5 **** yeah kids)
Some characters are disadvantaged heavily, or too good with 1 ban with those 7 stages. With more stages/bans to work with it, it makes match ups more evenly scaled imo. Perhaps working with that 14 for now then removing more stages later once we get more feedback.

I'm glad we don't have Lylat though
I'm glad a lot of us agree on this. No.1 priority for me was getting rid of that stage.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Some characters are disadvantaged heavily, or too good with 1 ban with those 7 stages. With more stages/bans to work with it, it makes match ups more evenly scaled imo. Perhaps working with that 14 for now then removing more stages later once we get more feedback.

I'm glad a lot of us agree on this. No.1 priority for me was getting rid of that stage.
that's actually pretty wrong.

falco/fox dominate even harder on janky stages. circle camping and stage abuse is much easier with top tiers than low tiers.

The simplified neutral stages is what brings things closer together.

Splice

Smash Hero
Like what?
If you add more stages that are almost unplayable and wreck the players, it's an advantage for bad characters!
Like you can just add a stage that's great for a certain character that is only good in one way, but that's kind of dumb right? Having big stages like skyloft can advantage characters that can move fast horizontally or have gr8 keep away game. It's really out of place though, idk why you'd want stages so far removed from the norm (+skyloft is bad for a bunch of other reasons, just an easy target lol). Minor differences like blastzone sizes, platform layouts, general stage size etc. are all conveyed well through the bottom 7 stages and you have something beneficial for every character in every matchup (which isn't a big feat tbh) and you have minimal jank and weirdness. Having 14 stages can be more interesting and fun but if we're talking strictly viability/fairness here then you're altering the tier list slightly by having 7 over 14 sure but there's no justifiable reason why that matters or would be damaging.

That said having 14 stages just to have a good time is a fine thing, but your reasoning is not good

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Ganon vs Fox: assuming Ganon won first match, he'd then have a severe disadvantage on PS2 and FD. If only 1 ban is available with the 7 stages, Ganon is forced to play on FD or PS2. :(
With the stagelist I proposed, Ganon can ban FD, PS2, and Skyloft, PS1 is better than PS2/FD in this matchup. Compared to PS2, PS1 is slightly smaller, side blastlines are closer allowing earlier horizontal KOs, and platforms are lower, meaning it takes less time to perform a waveland. Unsure about transformations so cannot comment about that, but as a Ganon secondary, I rather face fox here than FD/PS2.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
A fox playing to win will just take you to distant planet or draculas and circle camp you hard. You take a free 20% between each chance to hit and the stages are better for fox anyway. That or they will take you to warioware and kill you at 60%. Ganon needs a bigger stage more than fox

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
A fox playing to win will just take you to distant planet or draculas and circle camp you hard. You take a free 20% between each chance to hit and the stages are better for fox anyway.
Distant Planet is approx same length as PS1, but does those two leaves at the end really allow Fox to circle camp? I can see that being a possibility, though Ganon's wavelands on the two middle platforms are fast.
However Dracula's stage length is shorter than FD, wouldn't those platforms help Ganon's movement options more than assist with circle camping? Now that I think of it, Skyloft is worst stage for Ganon in this scenario, Skyloft is really long with a low ceiling, no real options for wavelanding. Also Pit is a real problem too.

they will take you to warioware and kill you at 60%.
About WW, the only thing that kills Ganon at 60% is Uthrow upair at top platform, same thing as YS. Side blastlines are stupidly close, so it favours Ganon doesn't it?

Good thing you brought that up though, I originally tried to make 14 stages viable/fair but it seems it can't be done. I also withdraw my previous statement about stage list and fairness.

Here's something completely new, a 10 stage list...

Starters:
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Fountain of Dreams
(same old)

Counterpicks:
Yoshi's Island (average stage)
Green Hill Zone (small stage)
Dracula's Castle (large stage)

3 bans on Bo3, 2 bans on Bo5. Your thoughts guys?

Splice

Smash Hero
Here's something completely new, a 10 stage list...

Starters:
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Final Destination
Smashville
Dreamland
Fountain of Dreams
(same old)

Counterpicks:
Dracula's Castle (large stage)

3 bans on Bo3, 2 bans on Bo5. Your thoughts guys?
An Improvement and I like it but these guys hate Dracula's for whatever reason lol

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
An Improvement and I like it but these guys hate Dracula's for whatever reason lol
My personal favourite stage is Distant Planet, but I couldn't find a way to put it in, Dracula's is the most viable and unique out of the 'large' stages. If there is another medium size stage that's not jank I'd add Warioware, Distant Planet, + that medium sized stage, but there aren't any. Either too big, too small or too jank.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
good luck catching fox on them without using your double jump mr ganon
Okay you got me. Either this...

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium 1 (large stage)

Or this complex idea: Group bans

Group A:
Yoshi's Island

Group B:
Green Hill Zone
Warioware

Group C:
Distant Planet
Pokemon Stadium 1
Skyloft
Dracula's Castle

Same as before, 3 bans on Bo3, 2 bans on Bo5.

This is rather complex I admit, but with this ruleset way there's a small chance that your personal favourite stage may be played, rather being completely banned in tournament. Also you do not need to ban all stages in the group (you can if you want), but you can't CP any stages in that group if you won a game in a stage that group.
Inequality of group sizes are confusing, but the groups of stages can be colour coded and re-organised. So now Mr Ganon can ban the entirety of Group C, PS2, and FD in a Bo3 set, but he must man up and play on either PS2 or FD in a Bo5.

Metal Cavern has janky blastlines and not great for teams. Right blastline super close ceiling super high.
Skyworld has weird cloud platforms and low recovery is difficult for certain characters.
Lylat Cruise has weird ledges that makes side B recoveries for certain characters fail then suicide.

For any of the new stage lists, we'd need a new stage select screen. I will create a custom SSS later.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
no cps 1 ban bo5 2 bans bo3 much much better.

there really is no good reason to include counter picks because it favors characters that are already really good rather than helping any characters get closer.

characters that are inherently bad should not need to have stages to make up for it. you chose a bad character so you have to deal with it. To make stages actually favor bad characters in some way either has to be biased bans/picking or has to be excessively convoluted to the point of uselessness and hard to understand, especially for new players where just stage striking is a hard enough concept.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Well I'm a new player, my opinion is lack of available stages makes it a bit anti-hype. I was hoping we could make P:M has its own diverse list of available stages, but I can understand the need for simplicity and fairness. I'm glad Lylat Cruise is gone though... Rather this ruleset than the current Apex one.

I'm going to create my own SSS anyways just in case anyone wants to try out my idea.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Well I'm a new player, my opinion is lack of available stages makes it a bit anti-hype. I was hoping we could make P:M has its own diverse list of available stages, but I can understand the need for simplicity and fairness. I'm glad Lylat Cruise is gone though... Rather this ruleset than the current Apex one.

I'm going to create my own SSS anyways just in case anyone wants to try out my idea.
We've all had that mindset at one stage, back in the early melee days we had stages like mute city and brinstar legal lol....

Top Bottom