• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sleepy's Super Awesome Birthday Bash(Battleaxe Chronicles) September 18th, Durham, NC

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol so basically top 5 payout isnt confirmed (but even if kevin stops you from doing it for melee I really think you should do it for brawl) but playing out for top 8 is? cuz im fine with that.

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
lol so basically top 5 payout isnt confirmed (but even if kevin stops you from doing it for melee I really think you should do it for brawl) but playing out for top 8 is? cuz im fine with that.
We will see how it goes once we get brackets/pots figured out.
I do want to play out for 8th and whatnot.
I think it will help the PR panel out a lot.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
care to share why? theres nothing wrong with discussing it lol, just because the final decision is up to maria doesnt mean we cant talk about it

Mariabattleaxe

Smash Ace
The discussions on here help me make my decisions.
So by all means, feel free to discuss.

I think a top 5 payout does help to motivate people, but at the same time is unrealistic in a lot of situations when the pot is simply not big enough to split.
I will decide once everyone pays and registers whether or not I will do top 5.

for now: off to work :)

Stockfield

Smash Champion
Well, it was never set in stone to be a top 5 payout, just in the event that it happened, we needed to have a payout set. I don't know what number to start a top 5 at, but I don't think it's possible to pay 50% and still have enough to pay out to the rest.

Also, if people don't want to try because there's no money on the line and just PR placing, I guess that's their fault lol. Would you hold it against me if I sandbagged for 3rd instead of playing seriously and getting 2nd or 1st? Would you be like, "well, if he cared..."

Nope, you'd be like "dat ***** got 3rd and that's what he gets" They know what they are in for when they get into those placings so if they don't want to try, tough squat.
It helps more people win money which for many people can be a reason to keep on playing and motivates them to get better.
I agree with these 100%

I think it would be cool to play for 5-8 placings.

And yes if Melee doesn't want to I think Brawl still should.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
meh if I had never won money before and got 5th place at this and got $2 i'd still be pretty happy. winning money at the first brawl billfest I ever went to for 3rd place was awesome and it was like $20.

Stockfield

Smash Champion
Then I guess If we get less than 25, it should stay 60/30/10 but if more than it should pay out top 5 or atleast top 4. If we get more than 30 then top 5.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i like my cheap tourneys =[ dont make it 10 except for larger things. this will still be fairly small. if theres like 50-60+ then 10 bucks is fair.

KoozyK

Smash Ace
stingers, i think a lot of people are actually coming to this. i keep hearing more and more people are coming. i wouldnt be surprised if it 30-40 people actually did show up

Lightsyde

Smash Champion
Hey everybody

If we're actually going to have as big a turn out for this as we are expecting, we're going to have to have a lot more set ups than last time. NC has been slack as hell about this lately and while we're typically just okay, we really need to try to beef this up since so much out of state is coming. There is nothing I hate more than down time from playing at tournaments, and I'm sure that's a pretty universal sentiment.

In short: STACK SET UPS

Stockfield

Smash Champion
That would be a really cool bracket if that many people showed up.

We would just have to be on top of things so matches can be done on time.

Edit: I am Bringing a Brawl and a wii. DOn't have a TV to bring though.
Also Dark Hart this is the second time we have posted at exactly the same time lol. Only cool because we have the same avatar.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, idk how much asheboro is coming, but they'll probably come with a setup, I'd hope.

playing for 5-8 is like having 0 dollar money matches. Odd, but it gives data, and as long as they care, it works.

paying out to 4th sounds legit. Seems like the best place to me. 50/25/15/10.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
That would be a really cool bracket if that many people showed up.

We would just have to be on top of things so matches can be done on time.

Edit: I am Bringing a Brawl and a wii. DOn't have a TV to bring though.
Also Dark Hart this is the second time we have posted at exactly the same time lol. Only cool because we have the same avatar.
I'm all down for helping out with this tourney.

also stock, we just ****

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
care to share why? theres nothing wrong with discussing it lol, just because the final decision is up to maria doesnt mean we cant talk about it
Was in a mood earlier but then I played Melee and was okay lol.

Edit: Okay, people are gonna keep pushing in tournament because placing well and not getting laughed at/ranked high/having bragging rights/etc are also important decisions when you enter a tournament. People are all going to enter regardless of payout(because of you're in contention for the top 5 spot, usually you can be up for the top 3 spot as well due to bracket shenanigans at the very least), so motivation for money shouldn't really come into play unless it's a larger tournament.

Also, who is going to enter a tournament and then give up partway through because the payout system isn't what they wanted? If you really think money motivates people so much then I'd say any extra money from venue fee should go in the pot for more motivation, but with everything else people play for(see above) that doesn't really do anything besides add a little hype maybe.

Double edit: Maaaaaaan no Brawl teams. Gay

Top Bottom