• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sleepy's Super Awesome Birthday Bash(Battleaxe Chronicles) September 18th, Durham, NC

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Fox
Jiggs
Falco

In my opinion. If Falco had Fox's recovery he'd be #1. He's not broken but he is REALLY good.

I agree with most of Mahone's list about Jiggs' match ups as well. I think Doc beats her and Ganon/Marth/Y. Link can be about even. IC's seems probably like 45/55 Jiggs, but I recall Chu always doing very well against Mango's Puff. No idea.

Low Tier tourney should definitely use the near tier list. It would make things infinitely more interesting.
Falco's better than Puff bruh.

bossa nova ♪

Smash Champion
falco is broke....

but only if the other guy's defense aint that good.

then falco is just like... kinda broke.

i think sheik is broken though.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'd send a birthday wish, but I don't have you as a friend on FB, Holmes.

lord karn

Smash Master
Was in a mood earlier but then I played Melee and was okay lol.

Edit: Okay, people are gonna keep pushing in tournament because placing well and not getting laughed at/ranked high/having bragging rights/etc are also important decisions when you enter a tournament. People are all going to enter regardless of payout(because of you're in contention for the top 5 spot, usually you can be up for the top 3 spot as well due to bracket shenanigans at the very least), so motivation for money shouldn't really come into play unless it's a larger tournament.

Also, who is going to enter a tournament and then give up partway through because the payout system isn't what they wanted? If you really think money motivates people so much then I'd say any extra money from venue fee should go in the pot for more motivation, but with everything else people play for(see above) that doesn't really do anything besides add a little hype maybe.

Double edit: Maaaaaaan no Brawl teams. Gay
But money does increase tournament performance for some people. Money is still a factor, if not the only or even main factor. It's still not the same.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
But money does increase tournament performance for some people. Money is still a factor, if not the only or even main factor. It's still not the same.
We can't make them try or not, and there are other factors that influence people to play harder that only come into play in tournament matches.

lord karn

Smash Master
Are playoff matches really THAT different? Do they not also determine someone's overall placing in the tournament over someone else? Seems like, if anything, we'll get more valuable data(set counts, which we always need badly) that I believe is equally weighted with ordinary tournament sets.
Do we count money matches for $0? There is a reason why we did away with challenge matches.

The difference between a normal tournament match and a playoff is that there is money on the line. The difference between a mm and a challenge match is the same. We should either accept both instances or reject them both. It is illogical to do otherwise.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Do we count money matches for $0? There is a reason why we did away with challenge matches.

The difference between a normal tournament match and a playoff is that there is money on the line. The difference between a mm and a challenge match is the same. We should either accept both instances or reject them both. It is illogical to do otherwise.
Are you not potentially playing for money in this case? And you ignored that there are other factors involved with every tournament match, and that winning or losing affects your PR placing potentially, your tournament placing, your bragging rights, and so on.

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
If somebody sandbags during a normal tourny set or a challenge match and yet ends up complaining about the PRs being affected by saying something like "I wasn't trying because money wasn't on the line," they just need to pull their head out of their *** and get with the program.

The only time any non-friendly match shouldn't hold value is when the match is clearly thrown or not played seriously (like Foxy going Ganondorf in Brawl).

Mahone

Smash Champion
Hey everybody

If we're actually going to have as big a turn out for this as we are expecting, we're going to have to have a lot more set ups than last time. NC has been slack as hell about this lately and while we're typically just okay, we really need to try to beef this up since so much out of state is coming. There is nothing I hate more than down time from playing at tournaments, and I'm sure that's a pretty universal sentiment.

In short: STACK SET UPS
i c wht u did thar

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
The only time any non-friendly match shouldn't hold value is when the match is clearly thrown or not played seriously (like Foxy going Ganondorf in Brawl).
But then the #1 player would throw every match.

Obviously reality is different. I'm just pointing out the flaw in the logic.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Post 14,000

May this tournament series be blessed by a bunch of dang forum posts I made forever ago and stuff.

Also on the real, I hope NC keeps having AMAZING tournaments like this one and we all get to hang out with each other and OOS much more often so we can grow as people and smashers. You guys are the best and even though you guys already know it really never hurts to tell you again that I wouldn't be as happy or as well off today if it weren't for all of you! <333 I wouldn't want to live in any other state and I promise to be there for all of you in smash or life or spam or whatever else we do together haha. =p

Also my birthday is the 25th so I demand birthday spankings from all of you.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i never said rob sucks. wow what. i love this character and he should be higher on the tier list. people underestimate sooo much

Top Bottom