• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

Zucco

Smash Master
Frigate is Atomsk's favorite CP, so I guess I would never want to bring them there.

I hate kirby so much lmao. really annoying MU.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Kirby's hard if you don't know what you are doing, or if you get dooped and get ninjaspiked offstage.

Otherwise Kirby's pretty much gimmicks and bair.

Unless you're Chudat lol, Junebug hates playing him.

I used to play Timmy's Kirby until he went more MK when there's MUs he doesn't like so...

yeah

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
I wish I could've played Chudat when he was here, but the Montebello crew(me included) were his bodyguards.

What do we avoid: **** that bair. Don't be like me and misjudge the range of the hammer.

She fulfills the "Just as planned" meme better

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
kirby beats lucario. D:

like seriously.

too bad there's hardly any kirbies around these days. (smirk)

i planned to play chu but he quits. i shouldved money matched him at pound or mlg. i think i'd win though. you do have more experience so ill assume its tough

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Kirby is ****ing annoying

its either his favor slightly or a reallly reallly annoying "50-50" like fox.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm, Rob I'm not too familiar with but I can say is that Lucario players will have to profile a bit while battling. What I mean is see how the Rob reacts in certain situations. We're all under the assumption that Rob players have the habit of spot dodging but I'm sure they've changed up a bit.

I think Lucario players should stay mobile during this MU because hanging back is gonna lead to Robs camping us and helps to avoid the broken fast tilts he has when he starts approaching. Another thing is to sense the spot dodge and punish with a charge smash attack; we have lasting frames so it should connect on his way out. Hold on to his beyblade when he shoots to limit his spamming and force his approaches.

As for his aerial game, its best when ur recovering to not air dodge close to him which is pretty obvious unless you wanna get punished by any of his crazy aerials. I can't really say there is a counter to this but just be mindful of it.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I asked the ROBs to help out with the match-up discussion.

Comparing frame data... (their's http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255281 )

Wow their Jab and DTilt comes out on frame 3?

Also their spot dodge to DSmash is silly. If frame perfect we have a window of 9 frames to hit them.

Their FTilt comes out on frame 7.

Hmmm it looks like they can really hassle us if we try to attack them while both of us are grounded.

They also seem to be uncertain if their air moves autocancel... So that's not gonna help. It seems to be missing his specials too...

Soooooo, up close...

Both grounded and close: He likely wins

In the air (us) vs. grounded (them): we hassle them pretty well as along as we don't fall into one of his smashes.

Close combat in the air: His UAir and FAir come out frame 7, NAir frame 18, and BAir frame 11, so if we are quick with our FAir or DAir we will hit him before he hits us.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Also their spot dodge to DSmash is silly. If frame perfect we have a window of 4 frames to hit them.
Since when is 5+4 = 4?

ROB beats us on the ground in terms of spacing and overall attack speed. We beat him in the air. We can juggle him for a long, long time, as well.

Matchup hasn't changed at all in forever. <<

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Ah good catch. You're right. I'll edit that...

The thing is we have not analyzed frame data. The benefit of looking at frame data is to see if we have any extra opportunities and if what we are doing is unsafe or not.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
There's no need to. All we need to know is that he severely outspeeds us up close and can outspace us pretty well with ftilt pokes. Our job to get in there and force him into the air hasn't changed at all.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
There's no need to. All we need to know is that he severely outspeeds us up close and can outspace us pretty well with ftilt pokes. Our job to get in there and force him into the air hasn't changed at all.
Frame data does help.

Until I compared the data for Lucario vs. Snake, I did not realize we actually have a frame advantage if we roll behind him when he uses UTilt (38 frames, our roll is 32 frames) then we could do a 6 frame move (Jab or Grab). Its somewhat risky, but I did not know we actually had a frame advantage.

Some people handle things differently. I as a player like to have frame data backing up my actions as it makes me feel more comfortable doing them.

Yeah, ROB can be a real pain in the *** if you can’t keep your ground game to a minimum. But lucky for you guys, Sakurai gave ROB his awkward frame.

Ok, so, here’s the number one rule in this matchup: GET THE GYRO

Seriously guys, it’s like, the easiest thing you can do to make this match up’s tide jump to 60:40 in your favor. I’d say a good 75-80% of his gameplay(more accurate figures to come later) is made up entirely by his superb control of his Gyro.

Obviously, Gyro is abused because ROB has one of the best glidetosses in the game. If done correctly, a glidetoss can cover half of FD. What you’ll see ROB use the most is a forward glidetoss to either a FSmash or a grab to a BThrow or FThrow. And that is something you most definitely do not want, as they are ROB’s strongest throws in terms of knockback. Just get a hold of the Gyro and try to hold on to it as long as possible.

Another thing ROBs might do is simply throw a Gyro at you to interrupt your approach. This isn’t used very often because most of Lucario’s aerials outprioritize a weak Gyro/if you’re at a high enough percent, but you should still be at least a little wary of it because a Gyro throw to a SHNair can really hurt you.

Which brings us to another point: Nair. Nair is easily one of ROB’s best killing moves, if not, his best aerial killer. Its hitbox is big and comes out fairly quick, and it can lead to an easy bubble kill if a ROB chases after you with his UpB. ROB can also use it to guard his tricky blind spots. But seeing as it's one of his most abused aerials, you could have a chance of reading it and throwing out a Fair first.

Although, once Nair is staled and becomes read, ROB still has Bair and Fair. Fair is ********, because you can pull out two of them in a SH, it comes out fast, has decent priority and damage, and can trip you if you're grounded. A ROB will also use it to WoP you into thhe blastlines. And Bair is just silly for the mere fact that its hitbox covers pretty much all of ROB's hurtbox and can slightly help his recovery.

Roflcopter is lol. This is why you can use your BAS as he uses his Gyro. He can't reflect it reliably and it has a good chance of beating out his Fair and Gyro.

FTilt is not your friend. ROB will use it to **** with your approaches, poke you, outprioritize you, poke you, and hit you out of your SH aerials. And poke you. Just PS or something, there's really not much you can do about this imo.

DTilt is weird. If a ROB crouches all the way to DTilt, it takes the same amount of frames as does a DSmash. It takes one frame to crouch, and DTilt hitbox comes out on the third frame, whereas DSmash's hitbox come out on the fourth frame. You might not see this too much except for some shield poking.

When dealing with SDDSmash, don't be dumb and try to buffer a shield/grab/whatever. It comes out too quick. Invincibility from SD starts on frame 2, and the move can be IASAd on frame 26, a full 10 frames before the animation ends. And since DSmash's hitbox come out on frame 3, if the ROB is frame perfect, you've only got nine frames to hit ROB, as Kita said. If you've got his Gyro, DI out of it or wait until the moce ends to hit him in his endlag.

--

I'll post some moar later.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Camp next to him, the azen way.

He camps so hard...in your face :3

Anyway, yeah, utilt/uthrow(dthrow is very hard to read) to launch rob up and attack accordingly.
Lucario doesn't have enough to out camp Rob. All Luc. has is AS while Rob has a beyblade and a laser.

The only way to even that out is by holding the beyblade, but even then the laser is enough to keep Robs going. This, imo, only forces Robs to mix-up for a while until they can get the gyro back and make further mix-ups.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Or maybe it's the "smoothie groovy spin n' shooty".

But you can powershield rob laser pretty easily if there's no gyro to mix things up, which lets you charge your AS much more easily and get some new options.

ftilt is annoying, fair is annoying, getting gimped is annoying.

I always end up thinking my fair > ROB's and I always trade which isn't a great habit frankly. A better idea is to just get more vertically oriented or try to punish (which I have a couple of ideas I want to try soon). Jab is also a pretty good underused gtfo move, even though ROBs seem more prone to dsmash, jab is also nice since it's faster and sends you more horizontal which opens up other opportunities for stuff.

Also, I learned how **** it is to have transcendent hitboxes against attacking hurtboxes ;)

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Until I compared the data for Lucario vs. Snake, I did not realize we actually have a frame advantage if we roll behind him when he uses UTilt (38 frames, our roll is 32 frames) then we could do a 6 frame move (Jab or Grab). Its somewhat risky, but I did not know we actually had a frame advantage.
THAT DOES NOT WORK.

You do realize that that means that we have to roll on the EXACT SAME FRAME that he does utilt?

Do you know how ridiculously impractical that is?

Have you ever been utilted by a snake who waited for your roll and then turned around and utilted you?

edit: Our roll is 28 frames. Where the hell are you getting your numbers?

Top Bottom