• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Olimar is not a bad choice since there is a bit of dis conformity among that one.

I'd rather do R.O.B. since it's something I'm more familiar with.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Okay since the majority is going for ROB, why don't we discuss him?

R.O.B.

What things to look out for?
What things should we do?
What things should we not do?
Anything frame specific we should investigate?
In the air what should we do?
On the ground what should we do?
Stages?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Okay since the majority is going for ROB, why don't we discuss him?
I'm about 90% certain that is not true. I think Wario can get a guaranteed powershield it you tried it and then you WILl get fsmashed by Wario, lol...

It's better to just grab or Force Palm grab...or some other fast move.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Whoops, wrong thread...

Tony T

Smash Ace
Hmm I want to discuss Lucario more seriously now since hes my best main so I want to learn more with him oh and as for the Rob matchup I bearly fight that many robs but the only thing I learned from fighting robs was watch out for their d-smash, Rob Players tend to use that alot. When you atk they usually sidestep and then d-smash when that happens shield to avoid damage then grab him or forcepalm him to punish, if you sidestep there is still a chance you will get hit before robs last hit frame, I tried that and it barely works. Also since Robs D-special has a reflect built in don't use your aura sphere recklessly or you will get punished for it but I hardly see any robs use that move except against projectile characters, best course of action to avoid that would be to combo into your aura sphere so he cant pull out that move or use it when he least expects it. Also his recovery is a tough one though considering he doesn't drop until he runs out of gas so if I would take a stab at it I would say f-air to keep him distant from the ledge and find a way to keep in in the air so he wastes his recovery keep the pressure on him with f-airs and d-airs for as long as possible then hold on to the ledge to keep him from grabbing on once hes out of gas hes done he cant wall cling or anything. I got this much from fighting 4 robs so many times offline and online. I don't know if this helps or not but I hope it does. I'm training to be one of the best Lucarios not just in NY but also in the world and I'm willing to learn more with him against his best match ups but also his worst and I plan on beating MK's with him and earn a reputation as a MK slayer (something I just made up lol). Well I hope this post put some Ideas in your heads guys and sorry about his projectiles but I have no more info that you guys don't already know already. One more thing I'm friends with the Best Lucario in NY in skill lvl in my opinion LucarioOwl he was the one that helped me get this far with lucario because before Falco was my best main but I know how to do more of Lucarios Advanced techs then with Falco, thats how he became my best main and I'm grateful to owl about that. Also I hope to meet some of you guys in person in the future so I can face you guys offline but if you want to face me online give me a ring on AIM or AIB or post on my Youtube page thats where you can find me. Well later everyone and good luck with figuring out robs match up, I hope this helps.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Hmm I want to discuss Lucario more seriously now since hes my best main so I want to learn more with him oh and as for the Rob matchup I bearly fight that many robs but the only thing I learned from fighting robs was watch out for their d-smash, Rob Players tend to use that alot.
I don't thing that good ROBs use D-smash as often as you say its getting used. Most robs use gyro and lasers for set-ups. We out speed/outrange ROB in the air a majority of the time. As long as you have a solid air game you should be able to survive. btw good luck on your goal. Try not to separate extra stuff like that.

Kill or get killed
ROB kill moves,in my expirence, capatilze about punising. We all know that D-smash punish those you frequent spot dodge; Dair punish those who have predictable recovery patterns(can be a problem for lucario); Nair punishes air dodges. Lasers and gyro can punish landing lag although I don't think these moves are usually kept fresh enough to be considered a HUGE thereat. The player should be able to fill in the rest of the blanks.

Killing rob is really no different than killing any other charter with lucario. You have to space. ROBs side-B can reflect aura sphere ,but it has a long animation so many robs won't bother to use it and just use conventional methods of dodging.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Watch out for ROB's BAir and NAir punishing landing lag and stuff.

Watch out for glidetossing -> DSmash, FSmash, grab, or something else.

If you get caught in ROB's DSmash DI up. Don't forget if ROB tries to eat at your shield with DSmash you can use Shield DI to get out of it sooner and space to punish.

ROB's USmash is his strongest kill move, but you should not get hit by it often (don't DAir too much).

If you can try to catch the Gyro.

You can crawl under the laser if he doesn't angle it (which he probably will).

BAS and slight charge Aura Spheres are your friends in this match-up.

ROB has a hard time killing unless he gets a lucky gimp, shield pressures you at high %, or kills you early with USmash or FSmash.

His DTilt has some deceptive range that might interrupt your spacing.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Build a reaction to Nair and laser.

Never try to punish Bair ever.

Di dsmash always

shield or ftilt gyro

congradulations you will now never ever get killed ever.

Honestly just be patient, the kill will come since rob will like, never kill you if you can react to his kill moves <<

don't forget to abuse his weakspot beneath him too.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Lets be serious. ROB isn't that bad but he suffers from the GAW curse(sort of). ROB has a great damage racking game but has to sometimes depend on that too much. His endgame tatics are 1-D. 9:10 if you have played a couple of robs you know common set-ups to kill moves. If you force rob to approach you have already got a kill you just need to execute it properly. This can be hard versus good ROBs though I still have trouble with some ROBs as with almost every other charater when played at some of the highest levels.

culexus・wau

thx fizz.

just saying that staying grounded helps a lot.

but on the 1st one why would ROB not be spacing bair properly?

culexus・wau

from a horizontal position he can't realistically bair you with the back.

he's too slow at horizontal movement without UpB. I'd be more worried about walls of fair, which while slower then our fair, beats it if we're not already close to him while fairing.

If you go high however he can reverse UpB and bair you which is particularly dangerous.

you can remedy this by FFing and recovering low.

just watch out for when they catch on and dair.

If you're already coming low to begin with I have no idea why the ROB wouldn't just hug the ledge so we'd die.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
ROB's gimp game is very good. Fair is pretty nasty, bair offstage is what happens when you get too predictable.

And then there's dealing with "chipping" when ROB just plays around on the ledge and keeps firing gyros/lasers at you to annoy you.

Anyone that gives ICs a hard time like ROB does imo is evil.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
Rob's love to lazer gyro lazer, seems effective but predictable. Hold onto his gyro or throw it upward. seems the best way to deal with it, is to use it against him, or just keep him away from it, also never be near a sidesteping rob unless you are mid charge/move. It seems that they love down cstick.

I usually choose Frigate against him, if not, I usually go to Lylat or Yoshi's to mess with his laser and gyro trajectories.

culexus・wau

oh yeah stages.

THE LESS STUPID IDENTS AND STUFF THE BETTER.

at least in my opinion.

no one likes getting surprise lasered in the fase due to angles and whatnot.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
However Yoshi's has so many the rob will be like "WTF!?"
Yoshi actually only has a set number of paths the eggs can follow. You don't control them about 9 of them total iirc. :\

The explosions here don't actually represent just the extent of his range, these are the ONLY paths Yoshi's eggs can take. He only has 5 or so possible paths per direction. They probably did this to help with aiming on wifi. :\

culexus・wau

However Yoshi's has so many the rob will be like "WTF!?"
No.

GOOD ROBS are aware of these slopes.

GOOD ROBS have ******* accuracy with their lasers.

GOOD ROBS randomly pull a bouncing laser out of their *** that randomly kills you/leads to a kill.

*Got killed off the top of pictochat with a FC laser on the series of walls and is mad salty*

but seriously though.

The more linear you can make his laser usage, the better,

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
]but seriously though.

With yoshi's I see why, but with lylat's awkward slopes being opposite of theverything else, wouldn't they fly up and back towards the rob?, or just 90 degree up? if he's in the middle and shoots down, wouldn't it follow that angle? It seems easy to predict it on lylat, but with it rob's understage game becomes stupid, nair-ing and uair-ing through lylat. Battlefield might seem like a good idea, but I just dislike that stage in general. A small stage seems great, since he doesnt have time to set up gyro's as easy and he'll laser at closer range.

Zucco

Smash Master
No.

GOOD ROBS are aware of these slopes.

GOOD ROBS have ******* accuracy with their lasers.

GOOD ROBS randomly pull a bouncing laser out of their *** that randomly kills you/leads to a kill.

*Got killed off the top of pictochat with a FC laser on the series of walls and is mad salty*

but seriously though.

Wanna know how I know you're lying? You used Good and Rob in the same sentence muliple times.

ill be here all week

culexus・wau

Wanna know how I know you're lying? You used Good and Rob in the same sentence muliple times.

ill be here all week
bah-dum-tish

Either Commandeer Beef's ROB is good, or I'm a really bad lucario.

probably both or at least the latter.

culexus・wau

Frigate is pretty 50/50 imo.

kinda annoying once it flips though.

I'm fine with letting rob take me here but I wouldn't CP it when a neutral is available.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
See the problem is, you take characters to Frigate when they have trouble recovering in general (especially on the right side), you don't take MK, DDD, etc. there.

ROB not only recovers well, but the second transformation is totally silly to fight ROB in.

Top Bottom