• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah Lain thinks it's even.

Meep says it's 40:60

I can say for myself it's pretty even, unfortunately it's a really gay MU where you live in fear the whole time lol.
I think personally it's an "arm race" in the sense that the Lucario player will make more grabbable mistakes if the ICs mess up, but as soon as the ICs player learns to infinite Lucario all of a sudden Lucario will start to actually learn to play with better spacing. A lot of IC players on the boards aren't conscious about how abusive some characters can be with the right platforms, and so imo they skew sometimes with the idea that every match is a direct confrontation.

For example, Pikachu v. ICs is often viewed as even by Pikachu players because they abuse the ledge game really well and have several separation methods. ICs view it as in their favor (from what I've heard) because many of the moves Pika throws out can be abusable by pivot grab, which is both theoretically true and untrue due to circumstance.

@FWK: Camping with BAS is a terrible idea, the ice blocks have a hitbox that pretty much shields them from that trajectory, and your effort is best spent just getting on that holy grail that is the platform. tl;dr we are majorly outcamped in this MU lol, but Ice blocks are only really effective on the stage level, platforms take away a lot of its capability to force reactions.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Phil I don't think I ever stated to camp with BAS ._.

oh and

for stages

the gayer the better

Brins ****S ICs waaaaaay more then Rainbow Cruise because of the lava so they'll prolly ban it.

but if they don't jump on that ****.

other then that Frigate is decent agaisnt them.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah, if the ICs don't know how to camp on Frigate, you'll like it a lot, because on the second transformation, the ice blocks get stuck in the dip in the middle, although if they just stand farther back to shoot them, they won't be hindered by this.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Yeah Lain thinks it's even.

Meep says it's 40:60

I can say for myself it's pretty even, unfortunately it's a really gay MU where you live in fear the whole time lol.
I think personally it's an "arm race" in the sense that the Lucario player will make more grabbable mistakes if the ICs mess up, but as soon as the ICs player learns to infinite Lucario all of a sudden Lucario will start to actually learn to play with better spacing. A lot of IC players on the boards aren't conscious about how abusive some characters can be with the right platforms, and so imo they skew sometimes with the idea that every match is a direct confrontation.

For example, Pikachu v. ICs is often viewed as even by Pikachu players because they abuse the ledge game really well and have several separation methods. ICs view it as in their favor (from what I've heard) because many of the moves Pika throws out can be abusable by pivot grab, which is both theoretically true and untrue due to circumstance.

@FWK: Camping with BAS is a terrible idea, the ice blocks have a hitbox that pretty much shields them from that trajectory, and your effort is best spent just getting on that holy grail that is the platform. tl;dr we are majorly outcamped in this MU lol, but Ice blocks are only really effective on the stage level, platforms take away a lot of its capability to force reactions.
The thing about the ledge game theory is that over on the EC their is ledge grab rule of 60. It seems high, but it is a number that is reached many many times. Abusing a ledge most of the time ends up getting you DQ'd over here. This is why I said platforms are a must. Pikachu can abuse the ledge very well, but because of the ledge grabbing rule, he is unable to do it the whole match, or a good chunk of it, and has to resort in other means of running away.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
^Yeah, I agree with that.

Anther loves abusing the ledge against Lain lol.

I really wish that Meep could play more matches where he can actually CG Lucario, it's supposedly "easy" to some, and I think that once Lucario is dealing with someone who can CG him his spacing becomes much more important.

iRJi

Smash Champion
While we are going strong, lets move on to what Stages are best to fight and avoid.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Generally the crazier the stage is, the better your chances are more often than not.

Especially ones that limit themselves to strong platform action.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Obviously you ban FD, that's a no-brainer.

Good stages? Lylat Cruise, IMO, would be one of the best neutrals. That and Smashville. Simply because of the dynamic platforms (LC's just tilt a bit).

CP stages? Uhhh...Rainbow Cruise? I don't really know much about Ice Climbers and their bad stages, which is all I really think matters. I still don't think Lucario has a -bad- stage, so...yeah.

Brinstar is always a personal favorite. You can end up breaking the stage apart to keep yourself away from them, camp the platforms like it's nobody's business, and refresh your moves when they're in kill percent.

@phil: Thanks for backing me up when I wasn't around

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Which Climbers are you talking to?
I asked Lain about it awhile back at EVO 09, and I've asked NL about the matchup a few times. I've asked a few more lesser guys about it, as well, but Lain and NL are the only bigwigs I've asked about it, as I recall.

Also, I agree that platform camping, slopes, moving platforms, and combinations of the three make a great stage to screw up cgs. AKA ban the hell out of Final Destination.

Zucco

Smash Master
Ban FD, take them to either Frigate or Brinstar. Brinstar seems like the better choice when on paper, but ive never tried it yet.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol the more I go to the Ice Climber boards the more I take their word with a grain of salt (minus Meep/Lain).

Edit: looool triple post^^^

iLink

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if RC is a very good stage to CP against IC.

This could have just been me being stupid and getting grabbed when I shouldn't have but while I was fighting an IC on RC, I got grabbed and was held in place getting CG'd until we were both off screen then I just got thrown off. With that said, just stay the hell away from their grab range at all costs.

Brinstar would probably be the best CP but IC would probably know this and ban it. Delphino could be good due to the shifts and the slanted plats and ground. Frigate is always cool.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I like Norfair, well I use that stage enough with Link to get a good feel for the stage already but with Lucario there is enough stuff going on to stop the infinite if it would happen. That and the multiple platforms lets Lucario platform camp easily.

I'll try Smashville more in the future and see how that turns out.

Battlefield works wonder for me when I use it.

and for the Lucarioth time, BAN FINAL DESTINATION.

culexus・wau

Just remember if you don't win the 1st Match its going to be HARD to win the set.

if you're in finals you have an increased chance of winning ;3

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Dair is a good separation tool, Ftilt is safe but your better off fighting in the air with Fair and Dair more.

On FD it's 40:60 IC, but everywhere else with a platform Lucario has at least a 55:45 advantage on them, heck I even think on some CP stages it's a 60:40 Lucario.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I don't wanna be pushy, but we still need MU numbers D=. I definitely gave you enough time this time around.

This match up is absolutely no better than 5:5 no matter what tools we have all it takes is 3 grabs and the game will be over, we have tools that are good for breaking the ICs apart but nothing to table turning

iRJi

Smash Champion
I still need more votes. People who have not voted please do so.

Zucco

Smash Master
60:40. stages shouldn't be a big problem since FD is the only stage that is really bad for you imo.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
About the 3 grabs = gg logic:

The same can be applied the other way around, fighting sopo with Lucario might as well be 80:20, we don't get solo dthrow CG'd to a good percent (36 at most), our moveset becomes mega safe, we gimp sopo's recovery really, really well lol, and if you're smart on some stages, you can run the clock out on sopo.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I would like to close the MU tonight if possible, so we can move on with the next thing planned.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
and if you're smart on some stages, you can run the clock out on sopo.
I'd like to highlight this to say how amazing this idea is and to remember it well. It's really not that bad of an idea to run the clock on Sopo, because he really can't do much to stop you. Just don't let it backfire and get grabbed when he eventually respawns. D:

iRJi

Smash Champion
I am closing this today around 3 EST. Please, if you have not voted yet, do so.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Congratulations!!!!!!!

We have finished all of the MU's and MU discussions. I will have our next project up most likely by tonight. Sit tight everyone, for all of you did a good job.

culexus・wau

Can we do that MUs that may or may not matter depending on what region you live in [mid tier]

I'd like to save that until phil gets all the exports done though.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Can we do that MUs that may or may not matter depending on what region you live in [mid tier]

I'd like to save that until phil gets all the exports done though.
Not really, actually. Phil is getting done with them pretty fast now, as he only needs about 8 more. We can move on, and he will catch up really soon. I am only presenting the idea tonight, as I am still refilling the chart and doing other things myself. Besides, it's practically Christmas, I wouldn't make people start something that they are not going to be here for. I am not that cruel ^_^

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Now the funny thing is though, this will change in a few months, then you can do the whole thing all over again!

Region dependent MUs is a great idea.
-t2

Zucco

Smash Master
and this is why I never help out with the boards..........can't even get the ratios correct. ****ing stupid.

Top Bottom