• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
For mines, you can just walk/run up and powershield or throw a AS. They do last about 25 seconds I believe. And mines just disappear, they do not self-destruct.

For nades, don't forget about stripping, cooking, etc...why are they so good? :ohwell:
I've haven't had a problem with cooking in a long time so idk :dizzy:

stripping however, avoid picking up the 1st grenade if there is one out, snake will merely strip it right out of your hands.

if he throws it in the air though I believe we can do that aerial instant item throw thing [AD catch + item toss input immediately], we don't have the fastest toss though ircc so he might be able to strip it before we throw. but it helps if its on a platform.

if you have a grenade the best option is just to run up and shield.

oh yeah that reminds me.

DO ALL IN YOUR POWER TO GET CONTROLLER PORT 4

Snakes hate it when they don't have #4 lol, also check with your TO if you can CP controller ports too ;)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh yeah, if you want to do something really lulzy to snake, let him place all sorts of stupid explosives on one side of BF/SV to edgeguard you, then watch them all go to waste as you cross the stage underneath to the other ledge.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I was playing my friend's Lucario the other day, he did this thing where 1st stock he rolled behind me and i kept on hitting him with f-tilt/up-tilt. But last stock he did the same thing and he shielded my tilts every single time and either jab oos or grabbed me and eventually won with a f-throw. Later he told me that he was purposely getting hit on the 1st stock to trick me into thinking tilts work against his rolls. So conditioning works well with lucario's rolls.

Also roll forward when you get d-throwed is hard to punish, i think Snake can dash attack/ boost grab but I'm having a hard time doing that as well.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Random piece of information I forgot.

if there's a grenade nearby snake, and you grab, Fthrow is ALWAYS the best option.

oftentimes when doing other throws I find myself getting blown up RIGHT after the throw or during << [the latter not a problem if you have Controller Port4]

Gnes

Smash Master
I was playing my friend's Lucario the other day, he did this thing where 1st stock he rolled behind me and i kept on hitting him with f-tilt/up-tilt. But last stock he did the same thing and he shielded my tilts every single time and either jab oos or grabbed me and eventually won with a f-throw. Later he told me that he was purposely getting hit on the 1st stock to trick me into thinking tilts work against his rolls. So conditioning works well with lucario's rolls.

Also roll forward when you get d-throwed is hard to punish, i think Snake can dash attack/ boost grab but I'm having a hard time doing that as well.
Wow...

simply amazing

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Oh yeah, if you want to do something really lulzy to snake, let him place all sorts of stupid explosives on one side of BF/SV to edgeguard you, then watch them all go to waste as you cross the stage underneath to the other ledge.
or if you're over 100% just do your get up attack, and you make them all explode without getting hurt.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Snake is one of the reasons I stopped playing lucario as much :( You have to play perfect and just keep him in the air

Tekken juggle style fighting lol but with grabz

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Snake is really dumb...

Seriously.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Had it. You guys are 100% blowing the MU out of proportion.

Snake:

I am going to get straight to the chase here. Everyone who is complaining about the MU needs to stop. For this character, as well as MK, I am going to do something a bit different. (ESP. on MK) Follow this carefully.

Snake is not that hard to handle. First of,stop thinking that "OMG he can camp us" because it's an illusion. Snake is a character who is heavily dependent on reading your opponent. Snake hits hard? Who the **** cares! Its time to get over that too. Once you do, read this:

Ever noticed how the snake MU numbers are dependent on these traits:

1) How easy it is for one's character to get snake into the air
2) How well you can keep Snake into the air
3) The ability to camp, or to get into snake

I want you all to really think about that. Take some time, drink some tea or a hot coco. Okay, ready?

How to handle snake:

It is pretty clear that snake hits hard, but it should also be mentioned that each one of his common moves, are punishable. Ftilt, Dtilt, Utilt, Fair, Nair, Bair,... Oh ****? Did I just name all of snake's moveset? Oh snap. I think its time to start baiting him into throwing the moves so I can punish them D=

How, you ask?

Throwing him into the air. Dthrow, And Uthrow are both Amazing moves for this MU. It put's snake into the place where he doesn't want to be. O_O

From this point, you will want to not try and follow up anything, but to be patient. What goes up, must come down yes? Not to mention his mobility is ****. Wait on the floor, and he is going to have to try to do something, because he is going to have to. This is where you need to be putting all your effort into. Any one of snake's air moves are all punishable with like a second for you to react too. If he throws any of them he will be open. Nair needs to be spaced, and its the only one that with proper spacing he can Auto cancel, and even then he suffers from a 2 frame landing lag. Be patient.

Some people are going to say, he can B reverse. This is where you say, so what...? If he does a B reverse, the only way to drop that nade is to either throw it, or shield it. If he is in the air, it really is his only 2 options he has after pulling one. You definitely have enough time to grab him, so do it.

After doing this for a bit he is going to be at a high percent. Try to toss him off at this point. Then proceed to bait him.

This MU is Baiting. That is all it is, on both parts. So stop trying to rush him, stop trying to make a good sequence of rushes. Stop trying to camp him. Do this, and you will find yourself having a better time with it.

D.D. Please show up and confirm how well this works. I told him awhile ago, and he has said to me this MU is way easier when you actually know what to do.

Questions?

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
It is pretty clear that snake hits hard, but it should also be mentioned that each one of his common moves, are punishable. Ftilt, Dtilt, Utilt, Fair, Nair, Bair,... Oh ****? Did I just name all of snake's moveset? Oh snap. I think its time to start baiting him into throwing the moves so I can punish them D=
Too bad Lucario sucks at punishing.

Throwing him into the air. Dthrow, And Uthrow are both Amazing moves for this MU. It put's snake into the place where he doesn't want to be. O_O
And at grabbing.

Just sayin'.

HyperEnergy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, a while ago I used to think Snake was impossible, but then I learned how to use grenades against him. And what I mean by that is aerial glide tossing. Makes the matchup so much easier.

While I still think he's our hardest MU, I no longer have significant trouble with him anymore.

iRJi

Smash Champion

And at grabbing.

Just sayin'.
That is were you are wrong, actually. Personally, his whole game is properly baiting people.

Also, You don't need good grab range to use it as a punishment option. The ending fact is if he is open, then he is open.

edit: Forgot my MU number. I put a 55:45 on this one.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Baiting and punishing are not the same thing. Lucario's punish game is bad, I'd like to see you give a reason to the contrary.

You obviously need a better-than-crap grabrange for it to be a GOOD punishment option. Having a good run speed would help too.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Baiting and punishing are not the same thing. Lucario's punish game is bad, I'd like to see you give a reason to the contrary.

You obviously need a better-than-crap grabrange for it to be a GOOD punishment option. Having a good run speed would help too.
Baiting leads to punishing. What happens when you bait something? You force your opponent to do something that, in the end, will be punished for doing. For me to say that he has a good baiting game, without a punishing game, would not work, simply because they go hand and hand. So this is me saying that his punishing game is something you are really not taking into account.

Now for the grab range. In most cases, snake leaves himself open with a huge frame advantage window for a lot of characters. Lucario included. Lucario's grab overall is short, this is something we all know, but in this case, it is an amazing punishment option because you actually have the time to get to snake, and grab him. I am not saying his grab is amazing for everything, I am saying his grab is amazing for this MU.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Baiting with Lucario to me means getting people to run into large lingering hitboxes. He's pretty good at that, although it's not terribly effective against Snake.

Baiting someone into using a punishable move is a player trait, not a character one. And it's less useful for Lucario because his punishment options suck.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Baiting with Lucario to me means getting people to run into large lingering hitboxes. He's pretty good at that, although it's not terribly effective against Snake.

Baiting someone into using a punishable move is a player trait, not a character one. And it's less useful for Lucario because his punishment options suck.
Although it is a player trait, the ability to pull lit off is varied upon character choice. Lucario ability to do that is actually amazing. Hey though, I guess this one is lead to a conclusion of opinion rather then fact. I am not going to throw things into the talk because this debate can go on for ever actually. But I do get a lot of questions about things on "How to handle this and that" and Personally I never left someone disappointed yet. If you feel his options for punishing are bad, then so be it. I on the other hand, think other wise.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Would you mind if I asked what exactly made Lucario amazing at getting people to throw out unsafe moves?

Because as far as his punishment options go in terms of his actual moveset, I don't feel they're bad. It's pretty much an undisputable fact that they're bad.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Its not that he gets people to throw out unsafe moves, because everyone does them. It's the fact on how he can capitalize on them.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Now I'm really interested. What makes his ability to capitalize on it good compared to practically the entire top half of the tier list?
Oh, that's simple. He has the option to throw things, while being safe at the same time. Recently, in NJ people have been complaining about Lucario. Its not because he is a power house, its because he can weave in and out of situations while taking min. damage. But how does this apply to the capitalization? You have options to try to capitalize, and while doing it it's safe. What people tend to forget is that he is a decently fast character. Even if it doesn't look it. Fair is frame 7, Dair is 4. Utilt is 5, Ftilt is like 12. To play lucario, is all anticipation and reading. What lucario has over other characters, is that while he is reading people, he can afford to mess up, and still be safe. That is what makes his capitalization really good.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I have a funny story about a player I played rock papaer scissors over port 4 but that is for a different time.

As many people have said but I'm going to repeat it again, Fsmash is not safe in this MU. Even if you space perfectly Snake can Utilt you because Lucario has to stick out his arms to get hit by him. Snake doesn't outcamp Lucario, well he can if Lucario doesn't force it into a stalemate by playing smart, fire Aura spheres to mess up cooking, shielding correctly, etc.

On the ground, it's trickier to play this MU. Snake's ground game is to be honest better than Lucarios, mostly because of his Utilt and Ftilt, 6/4 frame kill moves FTL.

In the air it's a whole different story, Lucario can juggle him like crazy. If Snake is airdodge happy, uair->dair I've done this a lot when snake wanted to be air dodge happy. Another trick I've learned it to fall with snake while doing an aerial and following up with another. Trust me be like Falco and prefer the air.

I'm agreeing with RJ, I think people are blowing this MU out of proportion. I'm honestly more afraid of King DeDeDe, Olimar, and MK than Snake.

55:45.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I actually think this is 40:60 in difficulty, snake has a better option pool and pretty much is the antithesis and opposite to Lucario's strengths, which lands him in 40:60, but I think he's very CPable to make it better, plus having horrendous weaknesses that are easily taken advantage of. imo lucario has enough ability to punish snake heavily, you have take into consideration that snake has bad cooldown (relatively at least), and very overextended hurtboxes when attacking. Snake jab and grab however are really safe in this MU, although need to rely on Lucario messing up his spacing (grenade pressure helps with this, so you have to make sure you play this with a poking mentality until you get a good juggle set up). Having quick pressure, overall good universal options that can be mixed up and a ton of damage + KO potential, coupled with survivability that rivals D3's is nothing short of icky.
D3 imo is a more doable MU than snake, but snake is far from unwinnable.
Marth, MK, and snake imo are Lucario's most difficult currently.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Alright let's do this.

Had it. You guys are 100% blowing the MU out of proportion.

Snake:

I am going to get straight to the chase here. Everyone who is complaining about the MU needs to stop. For this character, as well as MK, I am going to do something a bit different. (ESP. on MK) Follow this carefully.

Snake is not that hard to handle. First of,stop thinking that "OMG he can camp us" because it's an illusion. Snake is a character who is heavily dependent on reading your opponent. Snake hits hard? Who the **** cares! Its time to get over that too. Once you do, read this:

Ever noticed how the snake MU numbers are dependent on these traits:

1) How easy it is for one's character to get snake into the air
2) How well you can keep Snake into the air
3) The ability to camp, or to get into snake

I want you all to really think about that. Take some time, drink some tea or a hot coco. Okay, ready?

How to handle snake:

How, you ask?
Yes, how do we do this?

Correct, they extremely are very useful.

From this point, you will want to not try and follow up anything, but to be patient. What goes up, must come down yes? Not to mention his mobility is ****. Wait on the floor, and he is going to have to try to do something, because he is going to have to. This is where you need to be putting all your effort into. Any one of snake's air moves are all punishable with like a second for you to react too. If he throws any of them he will be open. Nair needs to be spaced, and its the only one that with proper spacing he can Auto cancel, and even then he suffers from a 2 frame landing lag. Be patient.
If he's nairing, I go under him and utilt him if he's about to land, or uair him higher into the air. Nair isn't that scary guys, punish it. We also have projectiles for this kind of situation and nice long smash.

Some people are going to say, he can B reverse. This is where you say, so what...? If he does a B reverse, the only way to drop that nade is to either throw it, or shield it. If he is in the air, it really is his only 2 options he has after pulling one. You definitely have enough time to grab him, so do it.
Once again correct, and note if he does b-reverse and he's still holding that grenade, keep juggling him with fair and uair to the point it explodes.

After doing this for a bit he is going to be at a high percent. Try to toss him off at this point. Then proceed to bait him.

This MU is Baiting. That is all it is, on both parts. So stop trying to rush him, stop trying to make a good sequence of rushes. Stop trying to camp him. Do this, and you will find yourself having a better time with it.
Correct, but a little bit of camping can help out as well, don't do it the entire game, cause it will leave you frustrated and having a very small shield.

D.D. Please show up and confirm how well this works. I told him awhile ago, and he has said to me this MU is way easier when you actually know what to do.

Questions?
K

And at grabbing.

Just sayin'.
Standing grab, yes. Shield Grabbing, Pivot, Boost Pivot, Boost grabbing? No, no he doesn't.

I don't think people realize, that Lucario is extremely good when it comes to shield grabbing, since he literally grabs people from their hitbox/hurtbox. Not sure about that? Have a snake properly space out their ftilt (2nd hit) or utilt, and shield grab that ****. He'll grab him from their ridiculous range, it makes no sense. Also, you need to abuse the 2 frame landing lag a bit more if you're not getting your grabs in against Snake. Depending on the percent, at low percent I dthrow them, anticipate what they're going to do then capitalize you don't always have to jump in and rush them, wait for them pull out that grenade, if you're at low percent it wont explode and especially if you space out your aerials too, it will just bounce off your foot, paw, tail (uair reference).

True baiting and punishing aren't the same thing, but if you think about it. Why would we bait if we can't punish? Seems like a pretty pointless tactic, unless we're talking teams then someone could bait and the teammate would punish their mistakes. Regardless, we can actually weave in and out, if we fair and they shield it, then don't go in for an attack. Bait the ftilt that will surely follow, DI away with your fair, then ffad or just airdodge into shield, expect the move you want and if anything else, fair them then airdodge through them into a pivot grab or better yet, empty hop away and stutter step a fsmash or ftilt them or whatever. Condition your options, so they have to keep adapting to what you're going to do. If they expect you to fair approach them, just run past them and grab, then bthrow, dthrow, uthrow or fthrow whatever you want to do, then prepare to pressure them.

Baiting leads to punishing. What happens when you bait something? You force your opponent to do something that, in the end, will be punished for doing. For me to say that he has a good baiting game, without a punishing game, would not work, simply because they go hand and hand. So this is me saying that his punishing game is something you are really not taking into account.

Now for the grab range. In most cases, snake leaves himself open with a huge frame advantage window for a lot of characters. Lucario included. Lucario's grab overall is short, this is something we all know, but in this case, it is an amazing punishment option because you actually have the time to get to snake, and grab him. I am not saying his grab is amazing for everything, I am saying his grab is amazing for this MU.
We usually have to be careful, on knowing when to run up to approach him or not with a grab. Usually if I think I'm not going to get there in time, I ftilt or utilt. They are completely safe, they clank with his tilts and you can instantly shield and cover down to regain some control.

We have ftilt, utilt, dair, nair oos, our jabs, force palm oos, fair oos and our grabs.

Although it is a player trait, the ability to pull lit off is varied upon character choice. Lucario ability to do that is actually amazing. Hey though, I guess this one is lead to a conclusion of opinion rather then fact. I am not going to throw things into the talk because this debate can go on for ever actually. But I do get a lot of questions about things on "How to handle this and that" and Personally I never left someone disappointed yet. If you feel his options for punishing are bad, then so be it. I on the other hand, think other wise.
Would you mind if I asked what exactly made Lucario amazing at getting people to throw out unsafe moves?

Because as far as his punishment options go in terms of his actual moveset, I don't feel they're bad. It's pretty much an undisputable fact that they're bad.
His maneuverability in the air, can't make them throw out things you want them to do, the iasa frames from a fsmash is my favorite way of baiting as well. You properly space out the fsmash, meaning you don't throw out the fsmash to hit them, but you space it out enough for them to keep it at bay, expecting it to have some kind of lag at the end, you can pretty much go into anything after Lucario releases the aura.

Its not that he gets people to throw out unsafe moves, because everyone does them. It's the fact on how he can capitalize on them.
Now I'm really interested. What makes his ability to capitalize on it good compared to practically the entire top half of the tier list?
True he doesn't have Diddy's bananas, MK's ability to do any move and be safe about it (except neutral a), but you gotta use what we got, improvise on the situation even if they do minimum damage, but remember he can string pretty well and that will rack up on the damage percent, and plus refresh any of our killing moves later on.

Oh, that's simple. He has the option to throw things, while being safe at the same time. Recently, in NJ people have been complaining about Lucario. Its not because he is a power house, its because he can weave in and out of situations while taking min. damage. But how does this apply to the capitalization? You have options to try to capitalize, and while doing it it's safe. What people tend to forget is that he is a decently fast character. Even if it doesn't look it. Fair is frame 7, Dair is 4. Utilt is 5, Ftilt is like 12. To play lucario, is all anticipation and reading. What lucario has over other characters, is that while he is reading people, he can afford to mess up, and still be safe. That is what makes his capitalization really good.
Yeah, I'm trying to get MN to think that way, Nappy is complaining about it, I got some people annoyed with my fair tactics too, as well as dair, so it's getting there. It's getting there.

Honestly I see this match up 50/50 though coming to both at high percent, last hit situations, which is what I like to see and makes it more exciting. Just work on knowing when to pressure Snake, when to bait him, and punish him immediately for any unsafe moves that he does.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Yay for posting =D.

Also, Yay for me becoming A Discussion leader =D

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
if we psheid (which is honestly easy to see coming with either the ftilt or utilt) its pretty easy. if they hesitate in the middle of the ftilt we can grab them out of that as well.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
A 7 frame aerial (with meh range) and a 12 frame tilt are not fast. The other two are far from safe, not to mention situational as punishers.
Seriously, compare this to almost any other character that isn't terrible and you'll see why I keep telling you that Lucario is NOT good at punishing.

iRJi

Smash Champion
A 7 frame aerial (with meh range) and a 12 frame tilt are not fast. The other two are far from safe, not to mention situational as punishers.
Seriously, compare this to almost any other character that isn't terrible and you'll see why I keep telling you that Lucario is NOT good at punishing.
If you missed the 2nd part of what I said, I did mention that they are both Safe when used. hitting someone's shield with Fair, you can still get out with min. damage taken, or none taken at all. Ftilt is safe on block.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
if we psheid (which is honestly easy to see coming with either the ftilt or utilt) its pretty easy. if they hesitate in the middle of the ftilt we can grab them out of that as well.
I've never done it before because I always thought, range>grab. This is sexy after I've tested it.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
If you missed the 2nd part of what I said, I did mention that they are both Safe when used. hitting someone's shield with Fair, you can still get out with min. damage taken, or none taken at all. Ftilt is safe on block. Don't use the speed as just a factor, but the uses that come with a comparison of speed.

Also, If you are implying that Lucario is a bad character, you are mistaken. Also, if you are implying that, I am going to just end the convo here. Also, refer to D.D's post above, which also explains why punishing wit lucario is good.
Let me try this again.

A 7 frame aerial (with meh range) and a 12 frame tilt are not fast. The other two (UTILT AND DAIR) are far from safe, not to mention situational as punishers.

Speed is obviously the most important factor for punishing.

Oh, and stop putting words in my mouth.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Let me try this again.

A 7 frame aerial (with meh range) and a 12 frame tilt are not fast. The other two (UTILT AND DAIR) are far from safe, not to mention situational as punishers.

Speed is obviously the most important factor for punishing.

Oh, and stop putting words in my mouth.
I am not, and sorry for the D.P

That part is me asking if you are saying that lucario's a bad character.

Edit: Also, Speed is only 1/2 important. Prediction and anticipation is just as equivalent to speed in punishing.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I disagree with both sides of the argument.
Lucario has a nice punish game, esp. if he uses aerials ooS. Trading startup speed for relative safety, disjoints, and low cooldown is good in my book.
However, I don't like the idea of juggling as the only reason this turns the MU around. Everyone decent can juggle, but it isn't enough to make snake a good MU for them. Marth has a 10x better juggling game for instance but it is if anything slightly in snake's favor. Snake's livability means when he gets on the ground, he'll be trouble. If he were lighter, it's obvious that we might have an advantage, but it's clear that snake will get the damage he wants to level off and potentially beat juggling attempts in getting % advantage.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I disagree with both sides of the argument.
Lucario has a nice punish game, esp. if he uses aerials ooS. Trading startup speed for relative safety, disjoints, and low cooldown is good in my book.
However, I don't like the idea of juggling as the only reason this turns the MU around. Everyone decent can juggle, but it isn't enough to make snake a good MU for them. Marth has a 10x better juggling game for instance but it is if anything slightly in snake's favor. Snake's livability means when he gets on the ground, he'll be trouble. If he were lighter, it's obvious that we might have an advantage, but it's clear that snake will get the damage he wants to level off and potentially beat juggling attempts.
Which is also true, but on the other side marth is way lighter. His livability compared to other characters are lower. The MU is skewed on that end as well. I guess ill talk to pierce about it, cause i Know he feels that it is really close to even on the Marth end because of the fact Snake lacks options in a lot of sections.

Also, it is true, anyone decent can juggle, but on most cases, people can get out of it. On snake's situation, this is where he suffers the most because he has a lack of options to pull himself out of the situation. Most of the MU is really trying ot be safe as possible. We know he hits hard, if you think you are going to get hit, just back off on the attempt. Knowing when to try something and backing down is another good key for the MU.

Top Bottom