• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Questions & Answers Thread (READ FAQ in OP)

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
*Removed*
He is probably the best underused character in the game
For his position on the tier list, doesn't seem like many know how to play against a DK
9 wind punch
Sakurai Combo
Can live to 150+ every stock with proper DI

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
neutral is pushing it, okay, its probably 6-4. Maybe

daisho

Smash Lord
whats the benifit of picking up dk as an alt
If you are having a snake problem or have trouble with some lower tiered characters that DK has an advantage on. Otherwise DK pretty much goes even or disadvantage to most of the higher tiered characters which is not so bad for a main but not all that useful as an alternate.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
I personally think the DK-MK Match-up would be almost even (probably 45-55 in MKs favor) without the nado. Our Bair Beats all his Aerials... And also learning to abuse the super armor frames in the Punch can turn the whole match upside down. I've played against the best MK in this country so much that he eventually went and picked DDD to counter my DK.

YooY

Smash Cadet
I think the real benefit of picking up dk is that he's so fun to play.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
This

He is also fun to play against and watch. Everyone loves you when you play DK.
This is prob the most true and honest thing. It's a FACT that people like watching DK.

Dude, he has his own ****ing song. DK is <3

Seton

Smash Apprentice
Playing with DK is fun, wath a player playing Dk is fun. Battle against a Dk is not fun, i hate dittos xD

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
DK @ 150% vs. MK @ 60% =

close game

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i know it might not be intended literally, but unless theres only seconds on the clock... i would reverse that percents: DK @ 60% vs MK @ 150% = close game.

i can't stress enough how devastating intelligently spammed Nado'ing is to DK. Platforms, offstage, soon as DK goes in the air...nado will ****. I think some of you have also played Lee in his tourney traveling?

DK wins by attempting to trade hits reactionarily and keeping his lead by surviving. The matchup is ENTIRELY different when MK does not approach. Soon as the game says "GO!", MK has the advantage in taking first blood from DK. He's a faster, superior character. If he doesn't have the lead, it is MUCH easier for him to Approach, Take the lead, and Hold it. When DK has to approach..theres nothing safe he has. He relies on mixups and guessing and all his advances are easily punishable.
MK has an answer to EVERYTHING DK throws out. Tornado, invincible ShuttleLoop, great groundspeed and roll to punish. Granted there's human error...but when i'm playing Lee and i'm not on my A+ Game, he takes the lead, forces approach, and can udderly destroy the rest of the game to where it just looks stupid. Approaching with DK 'safely' usually means not hitting anything either.

Traditionally, I've thought the matchup 60:40 MK's favor respectably. But i really think brawl, or the top tiers generally, revolve the game around just getting lead and abusing that authority. DK is a sexy character on paper, but he doesn't have the tools to compete in getting a lead and holding UNLESS there is NO LGL.
I dont think the game is as deep as people think it is. Its about getting a lead and controlling the match from it. Most good players dont know/abuse it still. DK can survive, but he can't AVOID pressure (like smaller, faster character), combos, and percent racking. His weight serves to survive, but does not help him control the flow on combat or escape [otherwise,] escapable situations.
this is how MK, Falco, etc can shut him down as a character. If you get the lead, its takable. Once they get the lead, it 'should' be game over.
DK's best shot is
taking absolutely no possible risk from the beginning of the game, getting a percent lead (even if by 1%) and planking (if applicable)
next time i play w/ lee i'll see about recording some matches and putting up anything interesting.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I don't think nado is as bad for DK as people say. Just run away/jump away, don't approach (for your example with seconds on the clock left and a ~90 % lead xD). You always have to be aware that he could use the tornado. So play (tornado-)safe.

Remember that you can footstool the tornado too.

YooY

Smash Cadet
I think nado is not the major problem when you fight mk. His habilty to juggle, edgeguard and his velocity are much annoying.
I don't Know why People always says that the mk mu isn't so bad because of nine punch, is it easier ton nine punch mk than the others?
@ripple i've been nado'd by k@os and think nado is not that bad.

Seton

Smash Apprentice
Nado is a terrible problem with DK, not when you are on land, the problem is when you are in the air, if the oponent nados everytime u want to land, you are in a trouble.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
I don't think nado is as bad for DK as people say. Just run away/jump away, don't approach (for your example with seconds on the clock left and a ~90 % lead xD). You always have to be aware that he could use the tornado. So play (tornado-)safe.

Remember that you can footstool the tornado too.
How would you footstool a tornado?

For character like MK that are approach happy, I generally find it easier to trick them into a punch. I just play very liberal with my punches and careful in other ways. I space with down Bs and down tilts and when he's in the air, scare them with bairs. MK MU is hard and maybe even 60:40, although his gimping and edgeuard is the main problem I face, and there might be a few harder MUs like Falco D3, and maybe even Pit.

Also, I was playing against a really good Jiggly Puff, and just realized that the MU is ****! His Jiggly was doing great against other good people's characters, but when it came to DK he literally quit in the middle of the match.

Silfa

Smash Ace
How would you footstool a tornado?
You just press jump when the character is basically just above MK and DK will fly up into the air. The tornado doesn't get stopped by it though, it just continues as normal.

The MK MU is quite difficult. Tornado especially is a very difficult move to get around when you want to land as seton said. Even then, it does a number on DK's poor sheild. Punching the nado in general seems to make them more hesitant to use it though, while you're on the ground atleast.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys handle a Charizard? I don't like saying certain characters don't require skill...but Charizard may be the exception lol. Flamebreath when you're near the ledge, approach with side b, abuse grab reach, he's effective but simple and hard to handle imo. The side b really racks up damage and can break through DK;s weak shield easily. Should I just get him off the ledge in any way I can and the edge guard him from there?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Can you guys list what MUs are better to be grounded and which are better to be aerial?

ardirok

Smash Apprentice
I think DK does better against Jiggly if he tries to compete with her in the air.

Probably there are other chars that DK does better in the air...IDK

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I think DK does better against Jiggly if he tries to compete with her in the air.

Probably there are other chars that DK does better in the air...IDK
if you stay on the ground you can punish anything that hits your shield that jiggly puff has. if you get a PS then you can d-smash anything and kill her at 70%.

and don't get me wrong you should definitely be in the air but if you want an easy kill youll stay on the ground.

@ esam more characters you could probably afford to be more aerial with would probably be charizard, pikachu, bowser (if he klaw hops a decent amount), and pit

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Ok.

Any specific tips against Lucario or G&W? They are probably the 2 people I would play DK with the least hesitation.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ok.

Any specific tips against Lucario or G&W? They are probably the 2 people I would play DK with the least hesitation.
um, lucario I don't have much input on since there are no decent ones in the MW but G&W you should probably be even.

if he up-bs away from you after he bairs/nairs your shield then (if you can react fast enough) jump up after him for a free up air.

if bair actually hits you it could even be better if you SDI the hit up once you can get out and hit him with a free bair or up air.

when G&W d-throws you you're best option is to tech in place and buffer an up tilt. you won't get hit with any smash attacks guaranteed, jab 2 is broken and he gets hit, and if they shield it they are pushed too far back for a shield grab.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Best OOS punish from bair would be F-tilt?

Does his nair hit DK if we F-tilt while he is nairing? (Same with U-tilt)

Does our F-smash outrange his D-tilt or will it trade/lose?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Best OOS punish from bair would be F-tilt?

Does his nair hit DK if we F-tilt while he is nairing? (Same with U-tilt)

Does our F-smash outrange his D-tilt or will it trade/lose?
1. don't punish it if you can't grab it. his up willl have invincibility before f tilt hits

2. yes, both

3. at max range we lose

Seton

Smash Apprentice
Ima having lots of troubles with the ROB MU these days. Any recomendations? I didn't know about the priority of ROB's fair, i'm having serious problems at recovering.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
which of DK's moves generally wont kill?
From lowest killing power to highest, assuming they are on the stage (so no spikes taken into account)

and yeah, probably a few things on this list are out of order.

Forward B (lol, absolutely cannot kill)
Down B
Jab Combo
D-tilt
Up B
Nair
Dair
Uair
F-tilt
Bair
U-tilt
Fair
Down Smash
Up Smash
Forward Smash
Punch
7 wind
8 wind
9 wind
9 wind sweet spot

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Bthrow is DKs best kill throw (excluding the cargo stage spike). It usually kills around 130-140 when fresh but with good DI at 150+%.

Top Bottom