• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side characters you'd prefer over their protagonists

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Pyra and Mythra (and to a lesser extent Min Min and Kazuya) have opened up the posibility for side characters to join the fray before or even without their respective games' protagonists, how about we discuss the wild possibilities this opens up?

Personally, I'd love to see King Dice or the Devil as the Cuphead rep instead of the titular cup and his bro. They'd be significantly less likely to be zoners, (and even if they were they would at least have... non-projectile moves) the bosses and their animation are the actual selling point of the game, and if King Dice was chosen he could have an incredible dancing/capoeira moveset.

FazDude

Smash Master
Not quite as extreme as an example as Dice over Cups or Felicia over Corrin, but I’ve always liked the idea of Sans in Smash over Frisk (maybe even Papyrus or Undyne too).

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I would be down for X, Zero, Tron Bonne, or even a Battle Network/Star Force character replacing Mega Man in a future game. It’s not like they give the blue bomber himself a ton of priority in MvC, so I don’t see why Smash has to. Especially considering they gave Zero half a moveset in his assist trophy.

Chun-Li over Ryu + Junkrat over Tracer would both be cool choices as well. (I know Tracer isn’t quite a protagonist but I would still consider it going for a less popular, less obvious choice anyhow)

Demon Dragon

Smash Apprentice
Mimikyu over Pichu.
(Yes, I know this technically may not count, but Pichu is the baby form of Pikachu, the mascot of the franchise, and it really did not need to be in Smash).

I would've also loved Edelgard over Byleth.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I do agree with what some people have said with a fire emblem unit over the games protag, although i have hard picking someone specific as there are alot of characters in each game i like.

As for other additions off the top of my head.

Majima over Kiryu (Yakuza)
Liara or Tali over Shepherd (Mass Effect)

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Personally, I think I'd prefer to see the Viruses from Dr. Mario as opposed to the doctor himself. Whilst Dr. Mario would have potential on his own as a fighter, I feel like acting as a costume could work well - and the Viruses would conceptually lead quite well to a lot of potential. I'd like to imagine you'd play as one "Virus" but you'd be able to "split off" into other viruses, as well as having a generally poison-oriented moveset. Seems fun to me at least!

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Any reoccurring side character over any default created character. For every game.

Edit: I like to see Sheogorath or Gray Fox from Elder Scrolls.

Johnny Gat for Saints Row.

Theresa or Jack of Blades over the Heroes from Fable

Monster Hunter is fine but I like Palico.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Flowey over Frisk/ The Human from Undertale but hes like the only UT/DR Char i would like to see in a up to 3 Character roster that isnt a protag!
Which makes sense as hes the main Villain of Undertale!
And Black Knight over Chrom I dont play FE But Smash Lacks Armoured Medival Knights! The Closest we have is Samus!
Daruk Over Champion Link (Considering hes already outdated keeping link Classic makes sense)
I know hes a Anime Char but i rather have Kid/ GT Goku over Adult Goku!

volbound1700

Smash Master
This is a tough one because of the swap out aspect.

I would go over having a non sword welding Fire Emblem character (one that leads with axe or spear). That would be very novel in design. Maybe replace Chrom or Roy.

Problem is that I know the characters very well from the two Fire Emblems with Ike and that is about it. However, I love Ike's moveset and don't want him to be removed.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Not sure if this still applies after chapter 2 but I’ve always felt like susie would be a better deltarune pick than kris and have kris and ralsei help out. She has more personality and basically does all the fighting in the party dynamic anyway so why not have her be the one who does the main attacking?

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
If by some miracle Smash gets a TF2 rep, please let it be anyone other than Heavy. If his Smash incarnation is faithful to the source material, his gameplay would be so goddamn lame. My pick would be Soldier, because I want rocket jumping to be incorporated into Smash.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Dunno where Deltarune sits in terms of potential Smash appearences.
But if the time ever came, I will say the devs would probably get more mileage out of either Spamton or Queen as the "soul" (kek) rep over Kris/Ralsei/Susie (as much as I enjoy them as characters...)

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I know UNDERTALE has already been mentioned here, but one side character from the game that I would absolutely love to see is Mettaton. Admittedly, I don't really know for certain how best to handle it - his EX form springs to mind as an obviously very fun inclusion, but I would also adore seeing his "oven" form - but Mettaton has a surprising amount of potential, whether as an acrobatic and showy dancer-archetype character with flair for weeks or as a bizarre and funny robot with a variety of visual gags and random television station aspects. Both seem awesome to me.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Dunno where Deltarune sits in terms of potential Smash appearences.
But if the time ever came, I will say the devs would probably get more mileage out of either Spamton or Queen as the "soul" (kek) rep over Kris/Ralsei/Susie (as much as I enjoy them as characters...)
I don’t think Smash should add any Deltarune character until it’s all or at least a lot of it is finished tbh, there’s just so much about them that can change and a lot of context to their characters that can change as well since they’re technically adding a character from an incomplete game. Spamton or Queen would probably be fine since they likely won’t change in future chapters but I don’t think they should really take that risk

Skullgirls doesn't really have a "main" protagonist so to speak, but I'd prefer Squigly over some of the bigger faces like Peacock, Filia, and Marie.

I'd be thrilled about any Skullgirls representation, though - I just want my main in.
I’d want Ms. Fortune but that’s pretty much just because she’s my main too

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I dont know if that counts but Kabbu and leif over Vi!
Of course all of them are basically equals but Vi is the First Party Member in the rotation!
But yeah it really doesnt matter as one press of X Switches them!

Top Bottom