• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight Be Banned? The Poll (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
no, just learn to fight him, *****

matchup charts arent right, and it IS possible to beat him a good percentage of the time. get better. :D
I hope you don't actually MEAN what you said in this post. There have been people spending every second trying to figure out how to beat MK and "get better."

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I'm in NY, and I voted no.

The region does make a difference though. Obviously I'm not a big name, but the big names do use different characters.

NY is awesome.

Edit: any lowtier with a higher tier counter can win a non-MK tourney in theory.

Edit #2: yes, criteria is needed on what would be banned in Smash. Sounds like an idea for a thread.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Just trying to fix an apparently common misconception over here. Banning MK =/=giving the lower half of the tier list its day in the sun. So long as people quit deluding themselves about that particular thing, I'm good.

Grunt

Smash Master
Personally, I don't have a problem playing against MK's, so I voted no.
But if I was to vote again as a Tournament Director, not as an individual player, I'd vote yes.

Kinda wish I hadn't voted now : /
I still haven't voted.
I really don't know where he's headed.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Hmm... well, it looks to me like MK is most likely gonna be banned if thi spoll means anything (and if there's any justice in the world lol).

Still, though, it's a rather close race.

There could maybe be an option like "I don't know". That'd be the winning choice!

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I dont like this, there should be a third option for limitations or at least undecided.

Voted yes anyways.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I doubt very many of them want him banned, or he would have by been by now.

This site is starting to turn into MK cry baby site. :laugh:
The majority of TOs will make their own decisions. I know a lot of TOs in my area lol'd pretty hard at some of the SBR's stage decisions, for example.

MK will face a community-wide ban when the majority of players refuse to use him and refuse to enter tourneys that have people who use him. As long as people:

1) Still enter tourneys regardless of MK being in it, and
2) Still play MK

He won't be banned, even if the SBR says he is.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I still haven't voted.
I really don't know where he's headed.
Agreed. It's hard for me to justify the MK ban in my area because there's only one dominating MK main at the moment. He also happens to be the best Brawl player in Australia >.>

So for my area at least. It would be a ban to prevent what could happen, not what is.

That being said, my recent national tournament saw MK place first, second and third for singles and doubles had 5/6 MK's as well (Some variation here and there).

:(

Mmac

Smash Lord
Just trying to fix an apparently common misconception over here. Banning MK =/=giving the lower half of the tier list its day in the sun. So long as people quit deluding themselves about that particular thing, I'm good.
But you can't just say that if the character only has one bad matchup from the top tiers (Mostly refering to Yoshi and Jigglypuff). Does Wario become non viable because he gets destroyed by Dedede and Yoshi? Does Dedede become non viable because of Falco, Pikachu, and the Ice Climbers? Does Snake become inviable because of Dedede and Pikachu? Does Game & Watch become inviable because of Toon Link?

The entire game is based on Counterpicking basically. Technically, only MetaKnight is Tournament Viable if you look at it that way. DK and Wario have Infinites on them, and Dedede just has plain average matchups, but it seems like those don't keep them down from High Tier, and even the 3rd best

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
This poll is starting to mean about as much as AOL straw polls.

Actually, it means less. At least AOL polls require you have an AOL account, which is a lot more difficult to set up than a Smashboards account.

And yes, I still use @aol.com for my e-mails. I have ever since I got the Internets.

ADHD

Smash Hero
You have to understand that there are alot of non-competitive smashers on here who try to alter what competitive smashers do, for some reason they think they have a right... I gaurantee that alot of these wifi-ers voted for banning him. I personally think he doesn't need to be banned, but for the community he should. That's why I voted yes.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
The majority of TOs will make their own decisions. I know a lot of TOs in my area lol'd pretty hard at some of the SBR's stage decisions, for example.

MK will face a community-wide ban when the majority of players refuse to use him and refuse to enter tourneys that have people who use him. As long as people:

1) Still enter tourneys regardless of MK being in it, and
2) Still play MK

He won't be banned, even if the SBR says he is.
That will never happen, because a lot of people enjoying using Meta Knight. Also, you can't expect people just give up MK for the hell of it. A lot of us MK players have put countless hours into developing our Meta Knight's. We're not about to just throw that away because of a few people don't like him. As long as Meta Knight is considered playable by top players and SBR, he will be considered a legit character by most.

The majority of TO's and high level players aren't going to stop playing/ban him until SBR decides to ban him. But, until then, a community-wide ban can't even begin to surface.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I said no, because I don't think he's so godly that he requires banning (yet).

However, I don't feel strongly about this, so I don't mind either way.

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
You have to understand that there are alot of non-competitive smashers on here who try to alter what competitive smashers do, for some reason they think they have a right... I gaurantee that alot of these wifi-ers voted for banning him. I personally think he doesn't need to be banned, but for the community he should. That's why I voted yes.
Doesn't really matter seeing as how it's just a poll. It means about as much as those random polls you see on CNN for who wants who to be president.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I don't think a whole lot of people are in favor of banning him because he has no weaknesses or no counters.

I think the majority of people are in favor of banning him for the betterment of the community. People are slowly switching to MK, slowly but surely, and as it's been said before, metagame is at a near standstill for some characters.

That's the way I read it anyway.

It's important to note reasons, instead of just spouting out random junk that nobody cares about.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
But you can't just say that if the character only has one bad matchup from the top tiers (Mostly refering to Yoshi and Jigglypuff). Does Wario become non viable because he gets destroyed by Dedede and Yoshi? Does Dedede become non viable because of Falco, Pikachu, and the Ice Climbers? Does Snake become inviable because of Dedede and Pikachu? Does Game & Watch become inviable because of Toon Link?

The entire game is based on Counterpicking basically. Technically, only MetaKnight is Tournament Viable if you look at it that way. DK and Wario have Infinites on them, and Dedede just has plain average matchups, but it seems like those don't keep them down from High Tier, and even the 3rd best
I just mentioned some top tier matches + lolmarth off the top of my head where people in low tier get close enough to absolutely destroyed to be super unviable. Most o them are unviable by virtue of GW alone, who has a very good shot at being the most used character in the game if MK is banned. The fact that all of them assuredly have other bad matches only compounds the bad news that if their bad matches just happen to be some of the most overused characters in the competitive game, they're not really viable.

Yoshi I honestly don't know enough about to talk about, aside from GW being a gay match for him, which is bad.

Other people destroy jiggs too like marth and wario and rob, but GW does it so bad nobody else is really needed lol.

DK and Wario have more solid matches against the rest of top and high tier than anybody does in low tier. Honestly I don't think they're that viable aside from counterpick matches assuming people cpick dedede with extreme prejudice, but that's more than low tier can say at least.

DDD cpicks a top 3 character and like hard cpicks 2/3+ of the cast, he's pretty solid.

Snake's bad matches there are overblown, and he also ***** hard. Pretty solid.

GW vs. Toon Link is honestly also overblown, and he is another absolute brick wall for a large, large portion of the cast. He's pretty solid.

If you're not high/top tier, mk being banned doesn't change much, since you probably still have bad matches with, and this is important, characters that are very good and overused anyway.

And yeah I kinda think the whole game is about counterpicking.

∫unk

Smash Master
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=200774
LOL I BEG TO DIFFER. Ive ask Mew2King, Snakeee, Inui and Vex Kasrani.
Sankeee= One of the best ZSS in the country
Mew2King= The Best Player in the country
Vex K= The Best Bowser in the country
Inui= a fast rising meta player
What you fail to mention in your thread is how many things Meta has against those characters.

ALL PRO-META PEOPLE: Look, you can theorycraft all you want. There's just no denying Meta dominates the tournament scene, is incredibly easy to play, and hinders any competitive possibility for multiple characters.

salaboB

Smash Champion
You mean the men who want to rush to a conclusion and the boys that don't want to make any rash decisions? ;)
The men who are willing to take a chance for big rewards and the boys who are afraid of venturing into new territory.

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
You mean the men who want to rush to a conclusion and the boys that don't want to make any rash decisions? ;)
Well, that all depends on the point of view that you take. What you may consider to be rash could be considered "safe" by the other side, and vice versa.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
The men who are willing to take a chance for big rewards and the boys who are afraid of venturing into new territory.
How on earth is removing a gameplay element (in this case a character) because it's currently inconvenient venturing into new territory? It's taking the easy way out.

Why not just ban every character currently dominating a tournament scene? It's a lot easier than trying to compete against them.

And don't tell me Meta Knight's domination is unheard-of in fighting games. Maybe in Smash Bros, but not in fighting games as a whole, no.

rocker1356

Smash Cadet
Sorry if I am off topic but I voted for banning Meta Knight. He is an unfair character who takes away some of the fun of tournaments.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Sorry if I am off topic but I voted for banning Meta Knight. He is an unfair character who takes away some of the fun of tournaments.
It's true.

In my opinion, Meta Knight will completely take over the tournament scene unless he is banned. It won't be a measure of skill, it will just be who plays the best Meta Knight. It's just impossible.

Kookie

Smash Apprentice
It's not so much that tournaments aren't quite as fun with Meta Knight on the scene, (Even though it's true) it's more that they're just so much more predictable with him around. And that makes it a lot less exciting for me.

rocker1356

Smash Cadet
I agree. I can beat Meta Knight but when you face someone who uses him all the time and they spam a lot then it really ruins the match for me.

salaboB

Smash Champion
How on earth is removing a gameplay element (in this case a character) because it's currently inconvenient venturing into new territory? It's taking the easy way out.

Why not just ban every character currently dominating a tournament scene? It's a lot easier than trying to compete against them.

And don't tell me Meta Knight's domination is unheard-of in fighting games. Maybe in Smash Bros, but not in fighting games as a whole, no.
There's a fine line between good for the game and not. Banning a character is a new step for any Smash game, so people are extremely hesitant to consider it. Banning every character solely for dominating a tournament scene is not good for a game so saying it's "easy" is a fallacy, because the goal is to improve the game competitively -- you can't just ban willy nilly, it must be considered and well thought out.

The easy way out is to just maintain the status quo (Leave things as they are). It always has been, and always will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom