• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Metaknight be Banned? **Take 2** (Post-podcast)

Should Metaknight be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
It's this poll even going to be taken into account by the SBR? almost all of the people who vote haven't even played against good metas

RDK

Smash Hero
It's this poll even going to be taken into account by the SBR? almost all of the people who vote haven't even played against good metas
Yeah, public polls would never even be considered into an SBR decision of this magnitude. This was just to get the general feel for the community's opinion, and it's not even made by the SBR--it's for a podcast.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Every time I see someone post X:Y, I realize they generally don't know what they are talking about. The only way you could ever give a ratio like that is if it was for your character... and even then it is difficult to od accurately. I hate having to use them. Glad to see others agree. :p

gantrain05

Smash Master
well, i don't think that the "fun" factor should be brought up when talking about banning a character, tournaments are played for cash prizes!! yeah, theres people that go there just to have fun, and there are people who have fun and still win money, but the bottom line should be whether or not MK meets the requirements for a ban, if your sick of playing all MK all the time thats what friendlies are for, just my two cents.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I think one of the main issues here that is going to be impossible to get over is the difference between the two halves. People were saying that we needed a decision. We got one. The discussion hasn't ended. Why? The anti-ban side and the pro-ban side are very different. The pro-ban side did not get the decision they wanted, but because they are so vocal, they are still speaking out. I have a feeling that if MK was banned, the anti-ban side would have been more accepting of the decision. I'm not trying to bash the pro-ban side, I think everyone is entitled to argue their opinion. However, everyone needs to learn when becoming too vocal can hurt the community. We are rapidly approaching that line.

arch knight

Smash Lord
I think one of the main issues here that is going to be impossible to get over is the difference between the two halves. People were saying that we needed a decision. We got one. The discussion hasn't ended. Why? The anti-ban side and the pro-ban side are very different. The pro-ban side did not get the decision they wanted, but because they are so vocal, they are still speaking out. I have a feeling that if MK was banned, the anti-ban side would have been more accepting of the decision. I'm not trying to bash the pro-ban side, I think everyone is entitled to argue their opinion. However, everyone needs to learn when becoming too vocal can hurt the community. We are rapidly approaching that line.
dont try to stop it i already tried....its a losing battle for all parties

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Every time I see someone post X:Y, I realize they generally don't know what they are talking about. The only way you could ever give a ratio like that is if it was for your character... and even then it is difficult to od accurately. I hate having to use them. Glad to see others agree. :p
0:0

On a side note: does MK lose to superior mindgames against non-MK players?

Tenki

Smash Hero
0:0

On a side note: do MK players lose to superior mindgames from non-MK players?
Fixed (?)

Of course they can lose to superior "mindgames" and/or gameplay - things like baiting and punishing airdodges, intercepting up-B with an attack/counterattack. It's not like MK can just spam something against a superior player (who's competent in the matchup) and win :l

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Fixed (?)

Of course they can lose to superior "mindgames" and/or gameplay - things like baiting and punishing airdodges, intercepting up-B with an attack/counterattack. It's not like MK can just spam something against a superior player (who's competent in the matchup) and win :l

Yeah fixed.

I do understand that superior mindgames will always triumph. It's the player, not so much the character. However MK is special. There are some matchups where I don't think superior mindgames can affect the outcome. His tornado honestly out-right beats DK players on stages like Battlefield.

So my question was: Does MK (the character) become powerful enough in certain situations that it's no longer a player vs. player matchup. As in, the MK player just has to know a few techniques as well as knowledge of the character matchup to override mindgames.

arch knight

Smash Lord
yes and no
mk can basicly counter just about any move ive seen or tried however that can be out done by people who know how the player goes about winning. do they wait till your in the air or when your on the edge. are they offensive pressure or defensive shell. the shuttle can be easily gamed by those who know how to counter

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
yes and no
mk can basicly counter just about any move ive seen or tried however that can be out done by people who know how the player goes about winning. do they wait till your in the air or when your on the edge. are they offensive pressure or defensive shell. the shuttle can be easily gamed by those who know how to counter
there isn't a ballot for the indecisive, and the verdict has already been cast on this issue...

aeghrur

Smash Champion
The bandwagon stops when this community gets what they want, a ban.
Seems like it's DDD's unfortunate day.

:093:

XienZo

Smash Lord
the decision has already, just let this die. we're ALREADY on the next ban topic, D3's infinites. whats next? Diddy's nanerz? its a neverending bandwagon -_________-
Lets say that our game is theoritically flawed to the point that there are some arbitrary amount of characters, techniques, and such that need to be banned to optimize the metagame. How will we ever get there if we don't discuss it?

Thus, we should ban MK and DDD's infinite. Obviously.

salaboB

Smash Champion
The bandwagon stops when this community gets what they want, a ban.
Seems like it's DDD's unfortunate day.
Or when someone can argue significantly more persuasively that it's not needed to be banned than that it is.

Kinda like what happens whenever someone says Snake is too broken and needs banning, or even Pit (Arrow spam is too good!).

XienZo

Smash Lord
but its not. at least the SBR thinks not

yes i KNOW TO's can do w/e they want.
Oh, are you just going to listen to what the leaders say?

Don't you know, they're just trying to BRAINWASH YOU. They want to slowly trick you into believing that MK and DDD's infinites are perfectly legal for tournament play.

Ah, but who knows, maybe its already too late for you...

Anyway, it is likely that since Sakurai developed the game without any thought of competitiveness, he basically threw a dart in the dark. He's obviously not going to hit the bullseye.

Chances are, the optimal combination of # of characters and techniques is not the same as Sakurai's random shot in the dark. You can believe its that .2%. But you'll lose out 99.8% of the time.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
While I wouldn't recommend blindly following everything the SBR says, I would like everyone to stop listening to anything brinboy789 might say. :)

brinboy789

Smash Champion

Don't you know, they're just trying to BRAINWASH YOU. They want to slowly trick you into believing that MK and DDD's infinites are perfectly legal for tournament play.

yes, i try to listen to the leaders. why? because it provides order and stability because they are intelligent posts/smashers, and IMO their opinions should be weighed heavily the most. if they thought MK shouldve been banned, then i would have switched to probably my secondary, diddy.

silly AP classes

While I wouldn't recommend blindly following everything the SBR says, I would like everyone to stop listening to anything brinboy789 might say. :)
oh no, its ankonku. idc if your a mod, your really pissing me off. i DID say taht i know that TO's can do whatever they want right? -_____________-

arch knight

Smash Lord

well it is legal in a way since they are both fighting styles CHEAP STYLES but styles non the less im not brainwashed either...

Smash Master

You're making no sense. Even if anything you said was true, then it's perfectly fine. MK does well against the majority of the cast, barring Snake, and Snake is an arguable counter for MK, not to mention you can just go MK yourself, or choose a character that doesn't have an awful matchup with him and do your homework. That's, at the least, a stable meta of two shifting characters, not one.
In my scenario, you would never choose Snake. He has counters. You might run into the odd counter. To ensure you win the tourney, it's always better to pick MK, at least in my scenario.

If Snake counters MK, then we have a 3 character meta. But it's up to the anti-ban side to prove that's the case.

XienZo

Smash Lord
LOLZ, Ankoku,just chill and let Brinboy have his fun.

yes, i try to listen to the leaders. why? because it provides order and stability because they are intelligent posts/smashers, and IMO their opinions should be weighed heavily the most. if they thought MK shouldve been banned, then i would have switched to probably my secondary, diddy.

silly AP classes
Ooh, but what if facts go AGAINST their opinions? What if it is proven that the optimal metagame will most certainly require a few characters to be banned, and proven as legitly as the law of sines? What if we prove that DDD can ALWAYS get a grab in thruogh frame data? Who would you believe, the SBR.... or your own copy of Brawl?

In my scenario, you would never choose Snake. He has counters. You might run into the odd counter. To ensure you win the tourney, it's always better to pick MK, at least in my scenario.

If Snake counters MK, then we have a 3 character meta. But it's up to the anti-ban side to prove that's the case.
You forget, that only works if MK had 100:0s. If you played as Snake, you would never be "countered" by a HIGHER LEVEL character that he has a clear advantage to, like Jigglypuff, while MK runs the risk of being "countered" by a high level Jigglypuff.

Just because you have more advantages doesn't mean you'll always win with those advantages.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
oh no, its ankonku. idc if your a mod, your really pissing me off. i DID say taht i know that TO's can do whatever they want right? -_____________-
You're pissing me off, because everything I've seen you post has been a stripped down reiteration of someone else's post. The difference is that the other guy knows why he thinks what he thinks, while you just take the thesis and forget about silly things like supporting details.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
LOLZ, Ankoku,just chill and let Brinboy have his fun.

Ooh, but what if facts go AGAINST their opinions? What if it is proven that the optimal metagame will most certainly require a few characters to be banned, and proven as legitly as the law of sines? What if we prove that DDD can ALWAYS get a grab in thruogh frame data? Who would you believe, the SBR.... or your own copy of Brawl?
well i dont BLINDLY follow the SBR's decision, if it was proven that MK SHOULD be banned, then i would go along with it.

and yea just let me have my fun :p

You're pissing me off, because everything I've seen you post has been a stripped down reiteration of someone else's post. The difference is that the other guy knows why he thinks what he thinks, while you just take the thesis and forget about silly things like supporting details.
yea? so what do i do, just watch the debate go on without at least trying] to help? true, im not the greatest debator, but at least i try if you dont like my posts, put me on ignore, i really couldnt care less.

XienZo

Smash Lord
well i dont BLINDLY follow the SBR's decision, if it was proven that MK SHOULD be banned, then i would go along with it.

and yea just let me have my fun :p
OK, lets let the optimal number of characters in an optimal metagame = C

Lets let the number of characters some Japanese guy put in the game = D

What is the probablity that C=D?

salaboB

Smash Champion
You forget, that only works if MK had 100:0s. If you played as Snake, you would never be "countered" by a HIGHER LEVEL character that he has a clear advantage to, like Jigglypuff, while MK runs the risk of being "countered" by a high level Jigglypuff.
It's still an overall advantage as long as MK doesn't have worse than 50:50's.

It doesn't have to be "You pick him you win" to be an unfair advantage -- and for good competition, the playing field shield be fair. (This is entirely different from "cheap" things)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom