• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Master
lol wut it affects two chars gtfo noob

oh, March 2008. That explains everything.

Metaknight is what's causing the downfall of the competitive Smash scene

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
It is a person who has never been to a tournament trying to change the rules of Competitive (tournament) Smash despite knowing nothing about how it works and, apparently, very little about how Final Smashes and items in general work.

All bets are off.
Very true, very true.

... I hate to repeat stuff, but this thread needs to go to the afterlife.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
infinites are part of the downfall of the competitive smash scene. they keep new people out, and push current members of the community to other games.
Don't pretend to know things you have no insight into. People aren't leaving the community because of infinites.

Well, maybe scrubby DK and Bowser mainers and some ignorant Luigi, Mario and Samus mainers still think their mains are affected by this. Or just whiny Scrubs who on principle hate the infinite in general. The vast majority of the rest of the "leavers"?

They are leaving because Brawl is a horrible game in general, not because of the infinites. After all, Melee had infinites. Read my sig, get smarter.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
infinites are part of the downfall of the competitive smash scene. they keep new people out, and push current members of the community to other games. its unfortunate that people dont see this. i dont get why people are so reluctant to abandon this. how does it hurt the game?
stop with this "well lets ban all combos" bull ****. you know **** well its not the same thing.
okay....for once im going to make an exception and not flame you and try to explain >_>
we don't ban things to encourage new members into the community, nor to keep as many people in as we can. those things are completely subjective and uncontrollable. what makes you think that more people aren't joining because of the infinite? what makes you think people are leaving smash because of the infinite? that's right, you DON'T.
it hurts the metagame overall because it's an unwarranted ban, which leads to more unwarranted bans and discourages people from dealing with their own problems.

LET ME STATE THIS AGAIN: there are going to be ****ty matchup, "unviable" characters, and all that "unfair" stuff in an competitive game. as long as they don't over-centralize or break the game as a whole, they don't need to be banned. deal with it.

RDK

Smash Hero
infinites are part of the downfall of the competitive smash scene. they keep new people out, and push current members of the community to other games. its unfortunate that people dont see this. i dont get why people are so reluctant to abandon this. how does it hurt the game?
stop with this "well lets ban all combos" bull ****. you know **** well its not the same thing.
Oh, but it is.

Tell me: what's the difference between a two-hit combo and an infinite? Nothing, except that the infinite is merely extended indefinetely.

Both a regular combo and an infinite take control away from the said player for a specific amount of time. One just does so infinitely. How do you expect to remedy this? Banning a certain number of combos in a specific chain?

Oh wait. That's ridiculously subjective and open to interpretation. We can't do that; silly you.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
EDIT: see guys? i tried being nice, but the level of stupidity is just too great.
I deal with posts like this on a daily basis, at least 5 of them a day (once, I had a record-setting 35 or so of them in one single day, the vast majority of them from the same person (and I managed to stay cool and nice the entire time)), but that's only when I'm barely active. I'd say I average 7-13 or so of them a day. I deal with this stuff in pretty much every single debate thread on SWF.

Now, keeping that in mind, how nice of a person would you say I am judging by the way I post on these forums?

RDK

Smash Hero
I deal with posts like this on a daily basis, at least 5 of them a day (once, I had a record-setting 35 or so of them in one single day, the vast majority of them from the same person (and I managed to stay cool and nice the entire time)). I deal with this stuff in pretty much every single debate thread on SWF.

Now, keeping that in mind, how nice of a person would you say I am judging by the way I post on these forums?
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say Halloween Craptain.

Amirite?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here and say Halloween Craptain.

Amirite?
Actually, no. This was before his time (IIRC). Incidentally, that user pretty much disappeared after our encounter. He's probably among those who reportedly abandoned SWF because of my "meanness" and joined AiB (and whined about me there).

BTW, I edited in some new stuff in my previous post.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Oh my god, this thread is so ****ing stupid. We need to ban the infinite!

Dude it is not even fair. I taught my mom how to do the infinite and she 3-stocked me in all four games. It's too easy to do. one grab and you die. It affects 5 characters! At least Fox has a chance vs. Pikachu. Fox can stay in the air forever. It's not fair for DK though, because I love DK as a character and DDD makes me not be able to play my favorite character. We should be playing this game for fun, and it is not fun when DK gets grabbed by DDD. I hate DDD ban him 100%. This match-up is ∞/-∞ DDD, so why are we even trying to debate like DK has a chance. If it were just 99/1, I would fight, but it's not, so I won't.

I won't I won't I won't. I refuse to play smash anymore because everyone is attacking my favorite character and nobody likes DK and it makes me feel sad. It breaks the game and it's not fair. It's not FAIR, dammit!

BAN IT!

cutter

Smash Champion
You guys need to go to Allisbrawl.com and drill this kind of logic into all the ******* there that cry like little babies about Dedede's infinite. That's one of the main reasons I left AiB. It's a complete JOKE of a community.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Oh my god, this thread is so ****ing stupid. We need to ban the infinite!

Dude it is not even fair. I taught my mom how to do the infinite and she 3-stocked me in all four games. It's too easy to do. one grab and you die. It affects 5 characters! At least Fox has a chance vs. Pikachu. Fox can stay in the air forever. It's not fair for DK though, because I love DK as a character and DDD makes me not be able to play my favorite character. We should be playing this game for fun, and it is not fun when DK gets grabbed by DDD. I hate DDD ban him 100%. This match-up is ∞/-∞ DDD, so why are we even trying to debate like DK has a chance. If it were just 99/1, I would fight, but it's not, so I won't.

I won't I won't I won't. I refuse to play smash anymore because everyone is attacking my favorite character and nobody likes DK and it makes me feel sad. It breaks the game and it's not fair. It's not FAIR, dammit!

BAN IT!
Lol

10satires

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
They're not *******! They're very, very smart and nice and stuff. At least they KNOW when to ban stuff, unlike all the mean people here.

OMG **** TOURNEY***S!

RDK

Smash Hero
You guys need to go to Allisbrawl.com and drill this kind of logic into all the ******* there that cry like little babies about Dedede's infinite. That's one of the main reasons I left AiB. It's a complete JOKE of a community.
Seeing as how it'll probably amuse me greatly, I'm making an account there right now and will probably make a big post using a bunch of information we outlined from this thread.

You should all troll with me. We must educate the ignorant masses!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
People don't realize they're just tagging on extra words to hide what they really think.

Dedede's infinite chaingrab is stupid.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Seeing as how it'll probably amuse me greatly, I'm making an account there right now and will probably make a big post using a bunch of information we outlined from this thread.

You should all troll with me. We must educate the ignorant masses!
I don't go near stupidity. It is clearly contagious. I've seen people go dumber before my very eyes after prolonged exposure to large quantities of stupidity.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
Getting back on topic, my stance on this is that it's your own fault for getting trapped in the grab in the first place. Read your opponent and don't give him the opportunity. Sheesh is that so hard to do?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Getting back on topic, my stance on this is that it's your own fault for getting trapped in the grab in the first place. Read your opponent and don't give him the opportunity. Sheesh is that so hard to do?
Or do the only smart and sane thing: Switch characters/Don't play as characters with crummy and unwinnable match-ups.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Insanity takes some people farther than one might think. Especially when combined with inanity.

Unbeatable combo...!

IrArby

Smash Ace
I always accidentally write Stargate instead of Starcraft due to myself being an avid Stargate fan and also frequenting a forum for it while almost never having to type out the word "Starcraft". Bad habit.
No worries I just had to return the favor after so many people busted on me (check the sig)

And lol I kinda miss the Halloween Captain.

I'm all for keeping an infinite that only whiny noobs who have never been comboed before will comlain about and hopefully quit leaving a better community behind. Personaly, I'd rather have get D3 infinited than have my Ike slowly and hopelessly torn apart by a decent MK. My solution? I don't play Ike in tournaments anymore (or Brawl much for that matter). If you quit a competitive fighting game because you couldn't play your favorite character you were never a competitive gamer in the first place.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
buddy, im just saying that if you ban smash balls, you may as well ban Dedede's infinite grabs. I haven't been to a tourny only because I could never afford it- time nor money. you happy now? now, if you would like to access if i qualify i invite you to a match.

oh yeah, I still think Dedede's infinite chain grab should not be banned.

I'll be sure to ask anymore questions here. jeez.

RDK

Smash Hero
buddy, im just saying that if you ban smash balls, you may as well ban Dedede's infinite grabs. I haven't been to a tourny only because I could never afford it- time nor money. you happy now? now, if you would like to access if i qualify i invite you to a match.

Where are you pulling this reasoning from? Your ***? You already admitted to not having been to any tournaments in your entire "career" (and I use that term as loosely as possible), so why should anyone listen to what you have to say?

Smash Balls are not even comparable to D3's infinite; not by any stretch of the imagination. All you've done is show how ignorant you are.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
buddy, im just saying that if you ban smash balls, you may as well ban Dedede's infinite grabs.
No, because the two aren't in the least alike. I've told you why. The reason why you didn't understand my reasoning and facts was because you are too ignorant in how Competitive gaming, Brawl and even Smash Balls themselves work.

I haven't been to a tourny only because I could never afford it- time nor money. you happy now? now, if you would like to access if i qualify i invite you to a match.
I do not play on Wi-Fi. Also, you're not a Competitive player. We do not care why you aren't a Competitive gamer. You have never been to a tournament, you have never been a part of a Competitive gaming community, you have no insight into how Competitive gaming works.

Do you even know what Competitive gaming means? You still do not know how Smash Balls works. You still do not know how they always favor the loser (no, not respawning with Smash Balls (Pity Final Smashes)).

Doesn't matter. Your logic for SBs is inane. If you employ inane logic and I catch you doing it, I'm gonna counter-argue you to prevent people from buying into your inane logic, thus spreading the inanity.

Before debating something, read up on how it works. Simply playing the game does not guarantee you will be able to work out how it works. For one thing, you still do not know how some Final Smashes are just too good to be allowed to exist and how Final Smashes favor the loser (always).

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
ok. smash balls always favor the loser. Dedede's chain grab is different. fine, but i ain't leaving smash boards.

Redthorn21

Smash Rookie
I am starting to think we need a revote. The majority of the people who are posting here seem to be agianst the ban while the vote shows a slight majority of people for the ban. I still think the infinate chain grab is a unfair move and is somewhat gamebreaking for characters like DK but i am starting to see the other sides point...

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
I am starting to think we need a revote. The majority of the people who are posting here seem to be agianst the ban while the vote shows a slight majority of people for the ban. I still think the infinate chain grab is a unfair move and is somewhat gamebreaking for characters like DK but i am starting to see the other sides point...
meh i wouldn't trust the results of the poll anyways. why? because it's a public poll, anyone and their grandmas who don't even know what smash is can make an account and vote (though why they would want to do so is beyond me). even if we assume there aren't any "random votes" there is still the factor that some scrubs vote without really knowing what they are talking about (a perfect example would be the guy who never been to a tourney and said infinites were similar to smashballs). i'd say about 1/4 of the people who voted probably have little to none tourney experience (rough estimate).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Where are you pulling this reasoning from? Your ***? You already admitted to not having been to any tournaments in your entire "career" (and I use that term as loosely as possible), so why should anyone listen to what you have to say?

Smash Balls are not even comparable to D3's infinite; not by any stretch of the imagination. All you've done is show how ignorant you are.
No, because the two aren't in the least alike. I've told you why. The reason why you didn't understand my reasoning and facts was because you are too ignorant in how Competitive gaming, Brawl and even Smash Balls themselves work.

I do not play on Wi-Fi. Also, you're not a Competitive player. We do not care why you aren't a Competitive gamer. You have never been to a tournament, you have never been a part of a Competitive gaming community, you have no insight into how Competitive gaming works.

Do you even know what Competitive gaming means? You still do not know how Smash Balls works. You still do not know how they always favor the loser (no, not respawning with Smash Balls (Pity Final Smashes)).

Doesn't matter. Your logic for SBs is inane. If you employ inane logic and I catch you doing it, I'm gonna counter-argue you to prevent people from buying into your inane logic, thus spreading the inanity.

Before debating something, read up on how it works. Simply playing the game does not guarantee you will be able to work out how it works. For one thing, you still do not know how some Final Smashes are just too good to be allowed to exist and how Final Smashes favor the loser (always).
It might just be me but the majority of this looks like ad hominem to me.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Ad hominem or no, RDK and just about everyone else that is AGAINST this ridiculous ban has provided irrefutable points. It does not over-centralize the metagame and does not render everyone but the character in question unplayable. DK players are just going to have yet another bad match-up, one that they'll either have to become impeccably skilled at or they'll just have to pick up a secondary character.

Do you have anything else to add, KID?

Smooth Criminal

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not attacking his character or his person. I'm attacking his arguments, his position, his knowledge, his insight and his logic.

It's a fine line, but it's all fair game in debates. Why shouldn't I be allowed to question his qualifications for participating in a debate about a certain subject? Is it an ad hominem to, for example, question someone's qualifications for, I don't know, running for public office in a debate?

Is it an ad hominem to question someone's diving skills when you're on the same team and you have to pick the best diver for a Survivor challenge? Is it an ad hominem to question someone's taste in clothes before hiring them to sew your wedding dress?

People with thin skin will never get anywhere in this world. People can "ad hominem" me all they want. I usually don't get mad or care, as long as it's warranted. If I say something cataclysmically stupid and people call me out on it, as long as they do not use offensive language, I'm fine with it.

Because if you say something stupid in a debate, you're not going to get a free pass.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
does it matter?
the guy admits he has no tourney experience and therefore shouldn't even be debating about competitive smash and he argued about the legality of SMASHBALLS for ****'s sake. >_> im surprised they responded to him at all.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ad hominem or no, RDK and just about everyone else that is AGAINST this ridiculous ban has provided irrefutable points. It does not over-centralize the metagame and does not render everyone but the character in question unplayable. DK players are just going to have yet another bad match-up, one that they'll either have to become impeccably skilled at or they'll just have to pick up a secondary character.
The saddest part about this all is that absolutely nothing that has been said in the past, oh, 50 or so pages has been new, when you guys first (and by that I mean you other intelligent, vocal and eloquent "anti-banners") entered the thread for real to back me up.

It's not just that I'd already said all of what you guys said in this thread. I'd said it in the first thread. All of it, IIRC. In fact, I think I said it all within only a few days of the first thread being created (and that was nice!).

And yet the whining continued, the strawmanning continued, the failure to read plain English continued, the inability to grasp the truth and logic continued and the stupidity, let's not even go there.

Let me repeat:
I said all that has been said in the past few days to soundly defeat the pro-ban side more than 6 months ago!

Also, some of the people who are arguing on the pro-ban side now were actually there the first time around, IIRC. And guess what, they were arguing for the ban back then as well, using the exact same arguments.

Yes, Smashboards is just that sad sometimes.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
If you recall, I was present in the first thread. I just got lost somewhere along the way.

:p

But I understand where you're coming from Yuna. It can't be helped that certain people in the community are going to revive issues like this.

Smooth Criminal

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion

I would go D.K. vs your De3. less' doo eeeet.
I want to access if you qualify ;)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i think yuna's e-***** may have just exceeded the size of smash boards...

he also must do like some kind of extreme buddhist yoga, cus any other man would have dislocated their shoulder patting themselves on the back that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom