• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

Should King Dedede's infinite chaingrab be banned?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
i think yuna's e-***** may have just exceeded the size of smash boards...

he also must do like some kind of extreme buddhist yoga, cus any other man would have dislocated their shoulder patting themselves on the back that much.
I was speaking the truth and it was less of an announce of my awesomeness (because the people who matter will already have realized it and the people who don't will already have been eviscerated by me in debate) but more as a huge put down against those who are advocating a ban.

They bring nothing but old garbage, only to be counter-argued with the same old arguments, which still hold up today as good as they did 6+ months ago. Some people will never learn. Some just actively refuse to.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
funny thing is that half that post was aimed at the people who agree with you

@thatotherguy
it wasnt ad hominem because im not trying to discredit his arguments.

i couldnt care less... this has been banned in my area since before this thread was made, and it was softbanned before that...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
i couldnt care less... this has been banned in my area since before this thread was made, and it was softbanned before that...
Then your area is full of Scrubs in power. Yes, I went there. Bring it on (with pom poms)!

I bet your area is also largely for a ban of Meta Knight.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im largely for a ban of MK

but when you have 5 MKs in your area and they all get beat by the same snake for a good 5 months straight, its hard to make a case around here...

im glad we can have fun with this, instead of beign all super serial the whole GD time..

also would black, yuna, and adum please talk to my TOs and get the infinite unbanned.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211610
Im not gonna lie, I could use the free wins... lol

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm gonna quote myself for posterity and see if any of the pro-bies actually respond to my original questions from a few pages back.

You do realize that all infinites are basically extended combos, right? So essentially, taking your reasoning to its logical end, we have to ban all combos, or any type of attack that garners hitstun whatsoever, becuase it takes away the other player's control over the character. At this point it doesn't matter how long control is taken away, because then we'd just be drawing arbitrary, subjective lines in the sand.

One of you pro-bies make a new thread proposing we ban all attacks and potential combos, because that's really what you're asking here.
OMG AD HOMINEM.

Tackle away!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
im largely for a ban of MK
Read better.

"I bet your area is also largely for a ban of Meta Knight."

What part of "your area" sounded like "you"? The "ou" syllable even sounds different! You really do hallucinate large portions of what you read on SWF, don't you? It's like if I write "cookie" you'll read it as "Chocolate chip cookies are evil and they shall make us all their slaves someday!".

also would black, yuna, and adum please talk to my TOs and get the infinite unbanned.
Why? Why should I do your job for you? If you really want the free wins, do it yourself. If you don't, then it won't matter.

If someone else wishes to use our points, be our guests. It's not like we've copyrighted them.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@RDK
why are you still talking about this, and seriously too?

if youre going to be serious about this, do it in the link I gave you

@yuna.
you asked me if my area was for the ban.
to that i answered that even tho im for a ban, nobody else in my area is, because a snake wins all our tourneys.

how do you not see that?
since you didnt quote the second part of the quote, ill assume you didnt read it, cus if you did, it would have been easy to connect the dots and see what i was saying...

P.S.
Yuna just admitted that if a D3 goes up against a character he can infinite, its a free win.

just putting that out there.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
@yuna.
you asked me if my area was for the ban.
to that i answered that even tho im for a ban, nobody else in my area is, because a snake wins all our tourneys.
You have a bad habit of inserting completely irrelevant points everywhere. I was telling you to stop it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
you still admit that the match is a free win so im happy.
When have I not "admitted" to it? I just think that anyone who whines about a match-up being a "free win" and wants things bans to change that, unless "a match-up" happens to be "almost all match-ups" has no place in Competitive gaming.

People like that should go back to Casual gaming.

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
When have I not "admitted" to it? I just think that anyone who whines about a match-up being a "free win" and wants things bans to change that, unless "a match-up" happens to be "almost all match-ups" has no place in Competitive gaming.

People like that should go back to Casual gaming.
I agree with Yuna. Match-ups are essential parts of competitive brawl. Learning all of your character's match-ups and how to deal with them makes a good professional. If a match-up is 80-20, then let it be. Let the person on the down side pick a different character. That's where secondaries come in.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's where secondaries come in.
Did you know that at least, oh, 29 people (and I'm not just making up an arbitrary number, I'd bet good money on it judging from what I've seen) have in this thread alone argued that one shouldn't have to get a secondary if you can just ban something to change the match-up instead?

Some guy was all "You are so heartless! People play Smash because their favorite character is in it! How can you not let everyone play as their favorite character? This will drive people away from Smash!" and that was just in these past few days (and he had never been a tournament before).

Think you go to school with total idiots? Hang around Smashboards for a week and you'll suddenly have new found respect for your school acquaintances.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Some guy was all "You are so heartless! People play Smash because their favorite character is in it! How can you not let everyone play as their favorite character? This will drive people away from Smash!" and that was just in these past few days (and he had never been a tournament before).
Then after about 3 pages of people saying they don't even play other Nintendo games, he still refused to give up the point.

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
Did you know that at least, oh, 29 people (and I'm not just making up an arbitrary number, I'd bet good money on it judging from what I've seen) have in this thread alone argued that one shouldn't have to get a secondary if you can just ban something to change the match-up instead?
Wow. That's pathetic. Bans aren't just tiny things. They are big deals that involve much research and discussion to prove why a ban should/should not be made. As I said before, match-ups are an essential part of the competitive scene of SSB and understanding match-ups and knowing your advantages/disadvantages against a character make a good player.

Secondaries are also WAAAY more simple and useful than just making tons of bans that try to "control" the match. Believe me, mastering another character to improve on the down sides of your main is soooo worth it.

People should play smash because they like the game, not because their favorite character is in it. If a game had your favorite character in it, but it had been reviewed as a 2/10 game, would you buy it? No. Also, like I said before, this is a competitive thread. Playing smash with your favorite character is casual gaming. Unless you are one of the best at that character.

Also to the guy that's saying that, that's the reason why he's never been in a tournament and why he shouldn't be.

Then after about 3 pages of people saying they don't even play other Nintendo games, he still refused to give up the point.
Haha that's funny. Shows how unmovable some people are, even when shown various evidence and reasoning.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
It might just be me but the majority of this looks like ad hominem to me.
Oddly enough, it's not really fundamentally ad hominem (though it was formed in a manner that disguises it as such).

It's pointing out that the argument being debated is formed based on fundamentally different preconceptions then those which are acceptable for a competative gaming community, namely the casual gaming preconceptions.

Therefore the argument is fundamentally invalid.

Yeah, they needed to say it better.

I'm not attacking his character or his person. I'm attacking his arguments, his position, his knowledge, his insight and his logic.

It's a fine line, but it's all fair game in debates. Why shouldn't I be allowed to question his qualifications for participating in a debate about a certain subject? Is it an ad hominem to, for example, question someone's qualifications for, I don't know, running for public office in a debate?

Is it an ad hominem to question someone's diving skills when you're on the same team and you have to pick the best diver for a Survivor challenge? Is it an ad hominem to question someone's taste in clothes before hiring them to sew your wedding dress?

People with thin skin will never get anywhere in this world. People can "ad hominem" me all they want. I usually don't get mad or care, as long as it's warranted. If I say something cataclysmically stupid and people call me out on it, as long as they do not use offensive language, I'm fine with it.

Because if you say something stupid in a debate, you're not going to get a free pass.
Actually, questioning one's qualifacations for participating in a debate is ad hominem fallacy dude.

Debate has no qualifications other then the argument itself. A dress maker is quite different, and in debating about whether somebody would be a good choice to make your wedding dress, asking what a person's qualifications are aren't discrediting an argument based on a person's position, but instead based on relevant information (if the debator and the dress-maker are the same, then relevance overrides ad hominem).

However, there is a perfectly legitimate path for this, which is sort of implicit in your argument. It's not so much that he's wrong because of his lack of experience, it's that his preconceptions are drawn for casual gaming, and are therefore automatically invalid for anything in relation to competitive gaming.

I know enough about the TOs that I know they're not gonna budge.

Not gonna lie however, far more disconcerting then the fact that the infinites are banned is that there's no discrete enforceable regulation banning them. It's just left to the discretion of the staffers, and when you're a competitive player and therefore trying to skirt the line as much as possible as part of the play to win mentality, that just discourages it. Not to mention the fact that there's no list of what techniques are banned, the "etc" could mean all infinites, those infinites, all techniques giving a horrible disadvantage, or whatever else you can think of.

The point is, if you're gonna do this stuff, at least do it right.

There's a chance I'll be in the area, if so I'll go. If so, I'll post in the thread, but my first concern is how they ban it, not whether or not it's actually banned.

Yuna just admitted that if a D3 goes up against a character he can infinite, its a free win.

just putting that out there.
No he didn't. He said "if you want free wins", so "if you want something to happen that you believe will allow you free wins..." is the most explicit interpretation of that. He never suggested you were correct in it actually giving free wins.

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
It is impossible to avoid the grab.
If it is impossible for DK to avoid being grabbed, then there's no point in banning the infinite as DeDeDe will still just grab you then hit you away, then repeat over and over again because you cannot not be grabbed. So basically, by your argument, it shouldn't be banned because it doesn't matter anyway.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, questioning one's qualifacations for participating in a debate is ad hominem fallacy dude.

Debate has no qualifications other then the argument itself.
By "qualifications", I meant mostly one's knowledge. If one does not have insight into the subject being debate, I do not feel one is "qualified" to participate in the debate. I would never debate rocket science because I know nothing about rocket science.

As a thinking human being, one his technically "qualified" to enter debates. I just personally don't think one should if one is ignorant of the subject at hand.

However, there is a perfectly legitimate path for this, which is sort of implicit in your argument. It's not so much that he's wrong because of his lack of experience, it's that his preconceptions are drawn for casual gaming, and are therefore automatically invalid for anything in relation to competitive gaming.
Yes, this is a large part of it.

Smash Master
We've established that infinites are a subset of all combos, but 0-deaths are nearly as bad as infintes, and 0-100 is nearly as bad as 0-death. Why do we ban one subset of combos and not the rest that are almost as bad. It seems like an arbitrary line.

Don't say "to prevent stalling." It's covered.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
0-deaths usually require more than one move.

also, i can't see how being chain grabbed is an instant kill. Unless you just fall to your death after being pushed off the stage, you're not dead yet.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
0-deaths usually require more than one move.
Your point?

You still die at the end, and you still have no control over your character, so....

It's the exact same thing as an infinite in competitive play (since infinites have stalling caps on them anyway). It's a long combo that ends in the other player's death.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
I said yes, and not to trash any characters but I feel DK is the only one that really suffers from this since he is more tournament viable than Mario, Luigi, Samus. Bowser's isn't technically and infinite so I'll leave him out for now.

I know there are some good people such as Boss with Mario and a few others, I haven't seen a good Luigi or Samus in a tourney, they will most likely lose to DDD in the first place since he is a good character even without the infinite. So banning the CG will effect DK the most and won't matter too much for these characters

This matchup would change greatly if the infinite wasn't allowed and DDD could still chain grab just not infinitely, Idk the exact matchup for DK but with the Infinite gone attacking DDD would be a whole lot safer and anyways he still has his chain grab but just not the infinite.

bobson

Smash Lord
I said yes, and not to trash any characters but I feel DK is the only one that really suffers from this since he is more tournament viable than Mario, Luigi, Samus. Bowser's isn't technically and infinite so I'll leave him out for now.
Dedede has a smallstep chaingrab on DK like he does on Bowser, so if you leave that out, you aren't accomplishing anything at all with the ban.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Mario, Luigi, and Samus are not infinited until 130%.

Also, your reasoning is severely flawed.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
Dedede has a smallstep chaingrab on DK like he does on Bowser, so if you leave that out, you aren't accomplishing anything at all with the ban.
You can do it with the smallstep like Bowser, but no... he has the infinite too.

But that still isn't the infinite and this is the standing infinite we are talking about now, not the smallstep.

Mario, Luigi, and Samus are not infinited until 130%.

Also, your reasoning is severely flawed.
Can't you jab to make the throw be fresh so you can make it a true infinite? If not D3 can CG them to the edge, throw them off and edgeguard.

Also that wasn't my reason to ban it or not ban it.. I was talking about the matchups.

bobson

Smash Lord
He has to jab to keep the infinite going on Mario, Luigi and Samus and it's possible to wiggle out during the hit until some irrelevantly large percent where they'd die anyway, so it's beatable with those three.

You can do it with the smallstep like Bowser, but no... he has the infinite too.
Yeah, he has the smallstep and the infinite. The smallstep typically ends up as a 0-death just like the infinite, though, so if you ban the infinite and not the smallstep the only ones who are gaining something are the ones who the infinite doesn't largely affect anyway.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
He has to jab to keep the infinite going on Mario, Luigi and Samus and it's possible to wiggle out during the hit until some irrelevantly large percent where they'd die anyway, so it's beatable with those three.

Yeah, he has the smallstep and the infinite. The smallstep typically ends up as a 0-death just like the infinite, though, so if you ban one and not the other the only ones who are gaining something are the ones who the infinite doesn't largely affect anyway.

The infinite on mario, luigi, and samus has to deal with freshness, I don't think u can get out before you get 1 jab in if the DDD does it right unless its under 50% or the person has godly finger speed.

Although with the smallstep it is possible to space yourself better and stay near the edge to avoid getting grabbed too often. I agree that the smallstep is still basically as bad/good as the infinite if you can go across the stage with it

bobson

Smash Lord
The infinite on mario, luigi, and samus has to deal with freshness, I don't think u can get out before you get 1 jab in if the DDD does it right unless its under 50% or the person has godly finger speed.
I main Mario, and I can break out of it consistently under 100%. Reflex has done it over 130%. You'll still take some 50% from the first grab because he can use five dthrows before it stales and segue into a running chaingrab (except with Luigi) and end with an ftilt into an edgeguard, which is bull****, but that alone doesn't break the matchup and he'll have to unstale his throws first with other attacks before he can do it again.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
I main Mario, and I can break out of it consistently under 100%. Reflex has done it over 130%. You'll still take some 50% from the first grab because he can use five dthrows before it stales and segue into a running chaingrab (except with Luigi) and end with an ftilt into an edgeguard, which is bull****, but that alone doesn't break the matchup and he'll have to unstale his throws first with other attacks before he can do it again.
Oh, sorry I thought it was much harder than that, but for me I think 50% plus like another 12 or 15? leading to an edgeguard with D3's back air that is scary, that can lead to 80% or death from getting 1 grab and a small amount of timing.

I can't see how u can break out of a grab before DDD can grab-jab once and dthrow again, that's pretty good I have never had to do it or worry about it so I have no experience.

That sounds to me like it affects the matchup ALOT. He has you at killing percentage around 120 or at the edges earlier? You have to also deal alot more damage to get him to a killing percentage where he can get another grab on you. It sounds to me like you are downplaying the matchup.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Ok, since you're acting like the chaingrab can still be damaging and that it can still hurt the characters a lot...

Explain to me why you also think there's a big difference between an infinite and being chaingrabbed and placed near-death. Either way, you should not be playing those fights.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It affects TWO match-ups: DK and DDD himself. It does not render anybody else in the cast unplayable. As Bobson pointed out, some of the other characters that can be CGed in this fashion can usually break out at a reasonable percentage.

And the scenario you're describing, being d-thrown to the edge and then being edgeguarded? If you actually fall for that, then that's YOUR fault. You have total control over your character once he is off of that ledge and a million (plus one) ways to get back. In Brawl it is not unheard of for the lighter characters to reach upwards of one hundred and twenty percent; a simple b-air should not kill you unless you do not know how to DI.

Edit: -_- Can we stop this now?

Smooth Criminal

bobson

Smash Lord
Oh, sorry I thought it was much harder than that, but for me I think 50% plus like another 12 or 15? leading to an edgeguard with D3's back air that is scary, that can lead to 80% or death from getting 1 grab and a small amount of timing.
The 50% was gathered from optimal circumstances, (five standing dthrows into a full stage chaingrab into a successful followup) which shouldn't happen every time if you're playing smart.

That sounds to me like it affects the matchup ALOT. He has you at killing percentage around 120 or at the edges earlier? You have to also deal alot more damage to get him to a killing percentage where he can get another grab on you. It sounds to me like you are downplaying the matchup.
Oh, believe me, it's a pain in the *** to deal with and I'd take a volley of Metaknights over a single Dedede any day, but for those three it certainly isn't unbeatable or approaching anything I'd consider being worthy of banning (not to mention that there are plenty of different techniques that accomplish a similar effect or worse in other matchups).

OrangeTang

Smash Rookie
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

It's a free stock, and just for a GRAB. It's a very disproportionate result for a minimal slip-up, and really not fair to the people you can pull it off on.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

It's a free stock, and just for a GRAB. It's a very disproportionate result for a minimal slip-up, and really not fair to the people you can pull it off on.
life isn't fair, i suggest you try to ban it >_>

well samus isn't COMPLETELY unviable, xyro would like to say hello =P
of course he isn't, he isn't even affected by this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom