• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shoot First, Ask Questions Later: The Samus Tactical Discussion & Q&A Thread

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Snake's camping tends to draw me to him, especially the grenades. I could have probably done a better job of out-camping, though.

Gimping him was difficult too; whenever I got him off the edge he would jump then up-B to get the maximum vertical speed very quickly. Spiking him seemed almost out of the question.

again, sh-homing missles alone should do the trick for out-camping. SH super missle for the occasional change in tempo. As for gimping him, if he immediately uses his second jump (usually followed by a n-air or air-dodge,) abuse your z-air to hit him while he's mid second jump. Then he's forced to use his cypher while giving you time to reach vertical height XD. This is of course assuming that he's off ledge when he uses his second jump and he's close enough for the spike (meaning gimps usually happen when he's below 50%.)

Eventually, he'll read this and instead attempt to go low and aim straight for the ledge. There's really nothing you can do but ledge-guard at that point. He'll get invicibility frames before you pull off the spike.

You won't get the gimp off all the time (you'll still do significant damage) but when you do, you'll feel satisfied!

NNID
Budget_Player
Okay. So I started playing with samus a little while ago, and although I have some of the good stuff down, I got some questions.

1. Any good playstyle guides for samus around here?
2. How in the world do I kill people with Samus? Dtilt, Dair, and....?
3. how do I best use Zair? I try to use it while rising but that doesn't work... While falling seems a little slow-is there a good way to hit with it while rising?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Okay. So I started playing with samus a little while ago, and although I have some of the good stuff down, I got some questions.

1. Any good playstyle guides for samus around here?
2. How in the world do I kill people with Samus? Dtilt, Dair, and....?
3. how do I best use Zair? I try to use it while rising but that doesn't work... While falling seems a little slow-is there a good way to hit with it while rising?

1. Quides really arent the way to learn smaus. Watch videos in the Ultimate Samus Database and check out the Log Book for match-up specific battle.

2. F-smash,D-tilt, D smash, Charge shot, D-air(spike).

3. Watch some vids. You want use zair to keep the foe at certain distances. Videos ill best help you. Go to the Celestial archives for vids.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
Lmao guys, take this to PMs, and I'll chime in, but this isn't the place for it.
Also go watch some vids of me or CREWS in the vid thing because I guarantee I use it to kill my bud Kief a few times.
It is a great move, use it a lot on battle field, srsly it hits them above you on the platform and if they drop through it, it will KO them at like 140%.

But yes, please take it to PM's this is getting clustered lol.
umm, i dont have any vids up in the vid thread. but, i do have a few up on youtube. although they are very old and i was horrible at the time. so i wouldn't advise looking them up.

----this is crews by the way. i forgot to sign in.----

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Dunno... but if you're using videos of back when you were horrible... umm

A) It doesn't represent your style today and whether or not you utilize u-tilt as much
B) Could mean your opponent wasn't that good... therefore not qualifying as evidence towards our argument XD

Although watching the vids would be amusing

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Haha very cool, Puff the magic Dragon was my fav, then i got older and started thinking it was about smoking :S

And Barney, that was good too, but this is kinda getting off topic lol

pAce

Smash Cadet
OK, here's a question: what do you think Samus' worst stage is? I play neutrals too much, so I want to know which stages to avoid.

Ravin

Smash Lord
JJ, I personally have issues with Rainbow Cruse also. For the fact you constantly have to stay in close combat or get above someone. Those are the two I typically try to ban (Depending on how I fight, Diddy ban JJ, MK ban Rainbow. They seem to always take me there. )

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Agreed. Lylat and Yoshi's just screw with your camping game.
Immediately ban RC. Everyone knows how to play MK by now and that stage just makes the match-up god awful. Unless you can count on your opponent not wanting to play MK.

After that, it just depends on what you're comfortable with.

Japes means you can't count on z-air as offensively. But you tend to make incredible recoveries! XD (Treat it as you would Norfair in that if need be, you can relocate and count on z-air to save your hide.)

Orpheon = no ledge sometimes, not to mention the flipping can be bad. Although a d-air attempt during the confusion of the flip tends to work.

Finally, Castle Siege is meh. The starting stage isn't necessarily optimal for Samus. The second transformation has barriers to projectiles, not to mention they may not let you refresh your moves (camp on the sides to refresh, lure and punish) and the final is reminscent of Lylat (ewww.)

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Jungle Japes
this is her worst stage. Rainbow cruize isn't bad for her at all unless your up against MK.
It messes up your spam game but Samus' recovery is one of her assets and this stage needz that. Also it destroys other spam games harder than yours.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Jungle Japes
this is her worst stage. Rainbow cruize isn't bad for her at all unless your up against MK.
It messes up your spam game but Samus' recovery is one of her assets and this stage needz that. Also it destroys other spam games harder than yours.
I did not realize how useful Rainbow Cruise was for Samus until I watched a video of NinjaLink using Samus on that stage. Talk about a lot of u-air! It's funny, though, because people would see that I was using Samus, and they'd say, "I ban Rainbow Cruise!" Haha!

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I did not realize how useful Rainbow Cruise was for Samus until I watched a video of NinjaLink using Samus on that stage. Talk about a lot of u-air! It's funny, though, because people would see that I was using Samus, and they'd say, "I ban Rainbow Cruise!" Haha!
Haha well I'd call samus on Rainbow cruize would be a 50:50 match-up against anyone BUT meta, but if you suck on rainbow then your screwed.
Think I saw that video too. Pretty wicked lol

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Does Samus slide further in a usmash if you use it by buffering a dash from landing (sh>ff > buffer dash >usmash) then from a normal dash?

Or is it just me? It seems like she does :o so I'll be testing it with each character to see if any characters gets a noticeable (read: useful) boost.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Err Lol not that I'm personally aware of, but I'll Check the samus part really closely.
It'd kinda be hard to time though so unless you practiced it ALL the time it'd be kind of useless.

Also I just thought about it, and Maybe what's happening is your pushing side on the control stick in the air making it seem that when you land and do the Boosted Up smash that it went farther.

I'll check this out when I get home tonight though.

and my god man! get a flippin' Link social thread going

SuSa

Link boards are dead - social thread wouldn't really help.

Right now I'm just making sure it doesn't get attacked... during the Summer (aka: "The Summer of No Life") I'll get it back on its feet with countless hours of my time (probably wasted) on threads, revamping, organization, etc.

And no - buffering from a land is extremely easy and I do it plenty of times as Falco.

I'll check it again in about an hour - I may have been tired.

SuSa

It's really easy. And I had to do laundry so I couldn't retest.

Now I'm going to bed.... so I guess check it tomorrow (w00t school gets out at 1:08 :) rather then 2:37 thanks to tomorrow being a Wed..... so I'll get back to the Samus boards on this)

May make usmash SLIGHTLY usefull.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's really easy. And I had to do laundry so I couldn't retest.

Now I'm going to bed.... so I guess check it tomorrow (w00t school gets out at 1:08 :) rather then 2:37 thanks to tomorrow being a Wed..... so I'll get back to the Samus boards on this)

May make usmash SLIGHTLY usefull.
It's old stuff. I've done in a few times in matches. It's good against tall or big characters. I like sliding left and right while using u-smash.

Ravin

Smash Lord
If you can hit Zair that close to Slide Usmash, One, You can do something else to rack up more damage, Or B, they are going to punish you because you used Zair with them that close.

Sliding Usmash just looks fancy, but has no real use.

Also everyone who you would want to use it on (Namely MK and even most heavy characters) Can easily SDI out of your Usmash, And because of the ending frames being the only ones with real knockback. Sometimes if they have a faster, or realise how crappy Usmash is, they cant counter quickly. I love doing, Fair, Usmash, Up. Or, Fair, Usmash, Uair, Uair, Zair/Homing Missile/Zair/Charged shot.

But thats a rare if a usmash does enough to really be liable or you catch them with their pants down.

Hive

Smash Lord
samus isn't THAT good on rainbow cruise imo... mainly people with better aerial games and good knockback can outperform her here.... especially mk and gw

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Err I guesss so.
Game and watch is a little more situational with his air attacks though isn't he?
and for MK I have said it twice now lol, don't take him here.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Hmph, well I say Otherwise :p
I do pretty well on it. Maybe you should tone down the suck a little Xyro ;)
Lol I'm going to get a rant for this one

Xyro77

Hmph, well I say Otherwise :p
I do pretty well on it. Maybe you should tone down the suck a little Xyro ;)
Lol I'm going to get a rant for this one
SCUM BAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you wanna talk stages. then take it to the stage thread. THEN, i will **** rant you!

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Lmao I really don't, because I've really got nothing to say about rainbow Cruize other than if you know how to play it, samus can do good. only chars I'd suggest not taking here are MK, Jiggz, Kirby, And possibly Game and Watch. Never faced a good Game and Watch on this level yet.

and I'd love to not get chewed out :laugh:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
So I was right?

If so that makes Zair > Usmash a viable combo since zair can prop opponents up.

Wonder who else it's useful for. *shifty eyes*
Samus only slides as far as the dash goes, and you normally have to use u-smash at the initial frame of the dash. This is called the "Hyphen Smash," because a hyphen (-) is a short dash. If it was a DACUS, that would be very useful.

Xyro77

Samus only slides as far as the dash goes, and you normally have to use u-smash at the initial frame of the dash. This is called the "Hyphen Smash," because a hyphen (-) is a short dash. If it was a DACUS, that would be very useful.

brawl players make up the stupidest names. all this stuff was in melee and it had names.

Crystanium

Smash Hero

brawl players make up the stupidest names. all this stuff was in melee and it had names.
It's better than calling it "Boost Dash," which people formerly called it. I don't know about Melee, though. The C-Stick doesn't function the same way in Melee, after all. What was the name of this one, if it was in Melee?

Xyro77

jc=jump cancelled

jv=junior varisty=ALMOST varsity

jv 3 stock= junior varsity 3 stock=ALMOST a 3 stock

its a ******** term that stuck. super stupid.

SuSa

I don't think anyone realized what I mean. I'm not talking about the "Hyphen Smash" it's more or less a QDA but a QDUS.... it SEEMS to go farther although I could be wrong.

*goes to test*

If I wasn't wrong I'll provide video as proof.

JC smash...
Except for the lovely part of where it's AFTER the jump, not before.

Reading Comprehension. Get some.

jc=jump cancelled

Agreed.

EDIT:

And I come with news of - I must've been tired. :) (it goes like 2 pixels further :p but nothing serious like I was remembering)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
jc=jump cancelled

I wanted to see if I was right, and I guess I was. I don't consider it a three-stock unless I have three stocks.

I don't think anyone realized what I mean. I'm not talking about the "Hyphen Smash" it's more or less a QDA but a QDUS.... it SEEMS to go farther although I could be wrong.
Then I don't know what you're talking about. If you're talking about dash (not run) to u-smash, then that's what I am talking about. It doesn't give Samus any distance. It just covers the same distance a dash would.

Top Bottom