• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
sung: needle? if you're not in a position to do even that then you kind of have to stay back and pressure them at the ledge

S l o X

Smash Champion
kk your utilts and dash attacks are so good

also i wish you tried harder in our set @ rom

i want to play you a lot at apex

sincerely handsome joe's friend slox

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i actually think sheik is really fun

i just never play her because the noobs i play against would probably whine about my sheik

so i just use the 3 fast fallers and do equally (read: significantly more) fraudulent stuff but it's A-OK cuz im pressing hella buttons

although

i'm being hit with that 2AM sense of clarity on life right now

and i think i should just tell people to suck a fat chode

and deal with my sheik

so i understand her better first hand

so i can go ahead and not lose to xx420xxrandomsheikxx420xx at apex

soap

Smash Hero
Playing as characters I have trouble against has helped me the most in this game.

Best way to learn how to punish is getting punished. *pause

:phone:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
kk your utilts and dash attacks are so good

also i wish you tried harder in our set @ rom

i want to play you a lot at apex

sincerely handsome joe's friend slox
It wasn't so much that I didn't try so much that I got buzzed before pools :x

We can play more though

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Rare techskill question to Kirbykaze: I have trouble doing immediate SH uair off the ground, i.e. to followup a dthrow on Samus/Luigi if they DI away. Do you use the c-stick for this uair or do you use the A button? Using the A button, getting the aerial out is easy, but I often doublejump accidentally. Any tips?

soap

Smash Hero
you need the dash off the throw asap if they DI away pretty well

I get it like 80% of the time on good DI away

I do exactly like swag does. Short hops and the cstick. You get a lil horizontal distance on sheik's dash shorthop so use that to jump a bit earlier. You don't have to be directly under them before you jump.

soap

Smash Hero
you don't have to get it out frame perfect

the cstick makes it easier to keep forward momentum, which is what is important here

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
KK: yeah, I know that's why the DJ happens. So I guess I just have to work on baaarely inputting up for the uair.

This is like, one thing I've never had to do with Fox haha. I guess it's nice developing new techskill even if my main doesn't require it.

Van.

Smash Ace
you don't have to get it out frame perfect

the cstick makes it easier to keep forward momentum, which is what is important here
using z does not make it significantly more difficult to keep forward momentum

it is harder to mess up when you aren't moving your hands ridiculously fast, which is why z is quantifiably surperior

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I feel that you have to run further than you think you do to get the running SH uair on Puff, especially at high percents. It becomes better to FJ for a small percent range since you can combo uair > fair / uair (around 20-30 or so) but it's tight and you might get rested for trying. That said, not many Puffs will try to rest Sheik out of her d-throw combos since literally anything else aside from dash > FJ uair is super easy to link or even space to avoid the rest (SH uair, for instance) so you can probably get away with it. Beware vs Puffs that catch on though... or just build up the tech skill to do it. Either or.

I like the uair at low percents because she keeps in this really nice spot for zoning. Even getting a bair or f-tilt into something can be a huge play. D-smashing her landing is also really good, especially around the edge. Beware of her shield stuff, or crouch. Comboing into a set of needles after the uair (SHFF fair AC > needles) can also be really **** damage and put her in an awesome position at the edge for pressuring, zoning, and general Sheik offense. Sheik's awkward offense is actually good vs Puff's wonky offense, and with little space behind her so long as you don't get faked into attacking a drift you have no chance of reaching you can exert a lot of pressure on her and probably score some nice hits.

Comboing Puff is more about where you want her after the combo to maximize advantage. Ideally, you're gonna have her close and vulnerable to something obvious (Sheik's bair, being put offstage, on a platform [and therefore in danger from everything], on the edge [needle pressure], etc). Just be creative and remember that it's stressful to be at the edge vs Sheik the whole game. Planking doesn't work on her, and Sheik's game is good vs cross ups and other bids for stage control. Don't be afraid to dash attack desperation rolls and other business. You're in control. Just keep your game cohesive, air-tight, and vigilant... and this should be where you really take control of the stock.

Anyway, that was a tangent. Uhh, regarding combo inputs and methods... I also have used the FJ at higher percents to make d-throw > uair work, since it's also a true combo (although I think in recent times I've been pretty faithful to SH just because I've been more comfortable with it lately... not that it makes a difference on this one). That said, on dash > FJ I sometimes claw X and the c-stick (delay the c-stick a bit to avoid producing JC u-smash).

TBH unless there's no restriction on how softly I can press the jump button I try to avoid the c-stick for rising aerials.

I think just tilting up softly and learning how to keep it like that (not apply further pressure) is easiest for the average person but everyone is different and some may not even agree on that. So if you think hitting up all the way during the 3 frames of jump startup will work better, by all means do so and feel free to tell us why. The ultimate goal here is consistent kills and combos.

Nurgle.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
you have an angled projectile that goes through moves and that can be charged to increase the spray's duration to linger in the ledge regrab zone

like, really? you're asking this? really?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I don't really have Sheik questions at the moment. I'm pretty sure I know where my biggest flaws are and work on them (:

hmm... maybe a small one:
How do you feel about ftilt against spacies if they are at low percents and you call them approaching with some sort of SHFFLed aerial? It seems to work out pretty well for me, but I'm not 100% convinced that it's not just the spacies I get to play regularly being too predictable about their approaches.

soap

Smash Hero
For rising full hop aerials and double jump aerials I actually jump with control stick and cstick da aerial

Short hop risers I use Jump and A

:phone:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I hate control stick jumping for anything except JC u-smashes basically (and you're not even using the jump, just a frame of it). The button is where it's at.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
For rising full hop aerials and double jump aerials I actually jump with control stick and cstick da aerial

Short hop risers I use Jump and A
Same here bro! I actually like to use the control stick for all FHs and the X button for all SHs. It must have been all that time playing SSB 64 while everyone had already moved on to Melee... :awesome:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I hate JC usmashing with the control stick. I used to do it and was horribly inconsistent at it and MacD made fun of me for jump cancel uairing. So I started doing the M2K thing where you claw it and now I hit roughly 99.9% of my JC usmashes.

Nurgle ^_^

"What is Nurgle? It's some canadian ****" - Otto

Top Bottom