• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
@Vocal: When you press B to start charging needles, you then press L/R to cancel the charge animation. You'll have the needles that you charged, but you won't be charging them anymore.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Quick question: When grabbing Falco and Falcon at low percents, what are the reasons not to Uthrow? Wouldn't it give Sheik a few extra frames due to a longer fall, despite there being more ending frames of Uthrow? And if so, wouldn't this allow a few small mix-ups instead of a techchase (say Utilt, perhaps Ftilt if they DI away, etc)? Thanks!
They can double jump/shine out I believe.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
An edge-camping Peach must have some balls. I dislike staying on the ledge as her for too long. So much so that I'd much rather recover high in most situations. Just show that Peach why she doesn't want to be on the ledge. Exploit her lack of options.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Oh.

*facepalm*

I would just chuck turnips, but I don't know how effective that is. What else could Peach do? Down smash, maybe? Go down there?

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Oh.

*facepalm*

I would just chuck turnips, but I don't know how effective that is. What else could Peach do? Down smash, maybe? Go down there?
I think the idea is that once Sheik is stalling on the ledge, she is fully invincible and can only be stopped by taking the ledge from her. If she has a lead and is prepared to time you out, you are forced to approach (and take the ledge).

Van.

Smash Ace
^ Right. But at high percents, idt how peach could effectively steal the ledge. But if she does, then its still a djc character on the ledge.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
I'm starting on a video guide on how to beat Ganon with Sheik.

Should be done soon.
I heard... you nearly got the best of m2k.

I got into the livestream right as unknown started against m2k.

Was wondering why you let him have a chance considering you were so close. And is there any particular reason unknown does well against you (I heard he usually beats you)? Does he just know you really well? Is he just super good against Sheik?

Ministry

Smash Ace

Was wondering why you let him have a chance considering you were so close. And is there any particular reason unknown does well against you (I heard he usually beats you)? Does he just know you really well? Is he just super good against Sheik?
hes not going to lose to any sheik any time soon with fox, too good at that matchup. Also ryan and david have played for so long together and ryan just always does well agasint david.

Ministry

Smash Ace
Quick question: When grabbing Falco and Falcon at low percents, what are the reasons not to Uthrow? Wouldn't it give Sheik a few extra frames due to a longer fall, despite there being more ending frames of Uthrow? And if so, wouldn't this allow a few small mix-ups instead of a techchase (say Utilt, perhaps Ftilt if they DI away, etc)? Thanks!
if they DI away from upthrow then you cant combo plus your animation takes a long time, (you can combo dtilt on spacies at around 65 [David correct me if im wrong], if u upthrow and they di away) otherwise dthrow is a lot better and tech chasing is relatively easy.

also under platforms upthrow is kinda good sometimes to catch them off guard, if u can get the upair follow after they land on the platform you can usually get them off stage. As you said at low % though, you wont be able to follow effectively against them (mainly falco) because he can just CC ur upair, also CC shine is like the worst thing against sheik as falco.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think the idea is that once Sheik is stalling on the ledge, she is fully invincible and can only be stopped by taking the ledge from her. If she has a lead and is prepared to time you out, you are forced to approach (and take the ledge).
Yeah, I was thinking about this some more today, and I don't think that Peach has the tools to effectively challenge a ledge camping Sheik. I mean, despite the fact that Peach is bad on the ledge, what is she really going to do? Sheik can just ledge jump aerials if she sees Peach getting close. I remember watching Amsah versus Armada at Beast, as well as in Pound 4, and whenever Amsah would take to the ledge for a while, Armada just chucked turnips. If there is a safe way for Peach to take the ledge from Sheik, I'd like to see it, but I don't think it's possible.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

You heard wrong. M2K triple 4-stocked me.

Unknown also triple 4-stocks me in most of our sets 'cuz I'm really predictable so there's no real point to playing out a set with him :p

I got to WFs mostly by being really lucky. 'cuz I'm pretty bad at this game :lick:

Van.

Smash Ace
Yeah, I was thinking about this some more today, and I don't think that Peach has the tools to effectively challenge a ledge camping Sheik. I mean, despite the fact that Peach is bad on the ledge, what is she really going to do? Sheik can just ledge jump aerials if she sees Peach getting close. I remember watching Amsah versus Armada at Beast, as well as in Pound 4, and whenever Amsah would take to the ledge for a while, Armada just chucked turnips. If there is a safe way for Peach to take the ledge from Sheik, I'd like to see it, but I don't think it's possible.
Well at low percents she can cc the aerial and then **** sheik,but high percents i think the strategy is perfect.

My next question is why does m2k spam that little high short hop fair thingy vs. fox at 0%?

Does it barely hit a standing fox?
Is it designed to hit fox out of his SH?
Is it auto canceled?
Can't it be crouch canceled?
Does it even knock him down?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
http://fr-ca.twitch.tv/styc/b/293111166

In this video I have a WSF set with Vwins from the last Canada tournament I went to (last weekend).

I play pretty impatiently and I've rewatched it a few times but if you wanna giggle at my incompetence and point out glaring flaws then by all means!

Match starts at 0:37:20 roughly.

So far I've determined that I need to stop full jumping to pursue and be safer when pressuring in general. I also need to judge distances better so I know when it's safe to go for slaps through floats and when not to. I'm also going to try and incorporate the 3-step down throw > f-tilt > fair (or other stuff) into my game because everyone seems to do it and it seems a lot better than what I'm currently toying with.

I also think I try to camp him when he's camping me back and I do a sloppy job with Bairs. I also dash attack into his shield a lot. Need to grab or be more patient. Probably a mix, though. Gotta find it.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Sometimes, when M2K gets hit far off the stage as Sheik, he'll transform into Zelda for a little bit, and then switch back to Sheik before using his up B. Is there any particular reason he does this? As far as I know, the stall that the down B gives doesn't seem like much, and Zelda's air mobility isn't better than Sheik's (at least I don't think it is). So I'm thinking there's another reason.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Really? Wow. I always thought Zelda had crap air mobility. So Sheik's is that bad...

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Zelda's recovery is stupid far. Not sure if it's worth switching out for though. If you do anything other than grab the ledge, Zelda's probably gonna get hit again back off because the lag on that move is dumb. Then you have to sacrifice your spawn invincibility just to turn back into sheik. I wouldn't do it.

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
The only time you should ever change into Zelda is to gain distance with air speed, and then change back to Sheik to recover. I find that recovering as Zelda is always a gamble. All a Fox would have to do is hog the edge and wait until you're onstage, and then either up smash or up throw > uair, since Zelda's mobility after coming out of her up-B is stupid.

TheLake

Smash Master
I tried turning into shiek to recover with zelda once

and i died horribly

and then i realized that zeldas recovery is not so bad

its not so baaaaadd....

Zoler

Smash Ace
The only time you should ever change into Zelda is to gain distance with air speed, and then change back to Sheik to recover. I find that recovering as Zelda is always a gamble. All a Fox would have to do is hog the edge and wait until you're onstage, and then either up smash or up throw > uair, since Zelda's mobility after coming out of her up-B is stupid.
You can't upthrow uair zelda, but upsmash yea.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Zeldas mobility isn't that great, but she is so much floatier you can cover more distance so long as youhave sufficient vertical height.

Though her DJ is rubbish, so use your jump as sheik.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Would anyone have some advices when teaming with a Samus ?
I'm gonna team with Cyr at a tournament this weekend, and while he usually plays Falcon when we team, we'd want to try his singles main, Samus.

The problem is that usually, we use a strategy in which he's the offensive player, and I'm the backup. However, I'm not sure it'd be that great with Samus, even though he has an offensive style even with her.

So what would be you advice ? If any of you has experience in teams with a Samus, I'd be happy to hear about it !

Thanks

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
That... is an interesting team combination...

I wish I can help, but the few times I teamed with a samus I went Peach/Fox =/.

My strategy I guess would be to play "Follow the leader" in a sense. If your partner is aggressive just stay close to her and punish the characters that hit her out of her aggression.

That way it would make killing an already hard to kill character even more difficult.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
If Samus wants to be offensive, pick bigger levels so you can run around on platforms while she gets into the fray.

Throw A LOT of needles as they don't really mess with her mobility.

As if samus wants to be aggressive, focus more on using nair, utilt and jabs. That way samus can also hit them when your opponents do catch up to you. Fair and Bair are of course good for killing. I'd avoid using uair and usmash as people above samus aren't good for her.

Just play keep away mostly and throw aerial needles.

Ministry

Smash Ace
http://fr-ca.twitch.tv/styc/b/293111166

just showing off myself vs Vwins. the match starts roughly 1:43:40.

I played this match based on theory and very little practical experience. Hope y'all enjoy.

Also, though I win I am very open to some advice.
curious why you didn't use any forward-bs, i don't know much bout marth but it sounds like u could combo out if it. there were times where she was floating to recover.

FireFly

Smash Lord
For edgeguards, have Samus on the stage for projectiles/utilt/fsmash and Sheik on the ledge for bair/uair/reverse fair like in almost any other singles match. Focus on your strengths and practice a few friendlies to work on your weaknesses like recovery and getting back momentum. Good luck with that team.

Salevits

Smash Apprentice
Guyz ;_; You just game me half an answer and skipped the topic.

So no one rly knows about the walljumping thing details?

darkatma

Smash Hero
How does Sheik's walljump actually work? o_o'

With younglink for example, the walljump always activates, no matter how long you're against the wall. You just tap away and hoozah.

With Sheik this is unfortunately not the case.. >_>

I can't figure out the logic behind sheik's walljump at all, so can someone please enlighten me.

e: And oh i play PAL if that matters.
Are you trying to walljump along FD's walls? Because Sheik might not have the aerial mobility for lower down on the wall. Her walljump should work exactly the same as YL's: just hold towards the wall, and as long as you're touching it you should be able to walljump off.

Also guys, I just dug up a thread I made back in 2007 LOL. Don't bump, but i've noted the only person who really uses this is M2k.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=95823
Needles on ground = shieldgrabs!

Top Bottom