• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shantae and the Seven Sirens on consoles can't get here soon enough, if this keeps up I'll have to watch the Apple walkthrough of it myself and won't look back.

Should have known not to expect any meaningful conversations to happen in this thread until then. Fool myself once, bad idea, fool myself twice, shame on me. :drsad:

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I have to say, i have seen 1 picture of risky in a thumbnail, guessing from an animated cutscene, but she is looking really good. If people dont mind, can we get some screenshots of her? We have seen how good Shantae looks i want a better look at Risky's updated portrait and cutscene design.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shantae and the Seven Sirens on consoles can't get here soon enough, if this keeps up I'll have to watch the Apple walkthrough of it myself and won't look back.

Should have known not to expect any meaningful conversations to happen in this thread until then. Fool myself once, bad idea, fool myself twice, shame on me. :drsad:
I prefer to take a middle-ground approach to spoilers, not going out of my way find them, but peeking at screenshots or music can make for fun speculation when refraining from learning the context.

Interesting snapshots floating around involve Shantae rescuing Risky from a watery grave and a speedrun photo showing some of the Sirens having fun in the sun. The former certainly demonstrates Half-Genie Hero did not just completely reset their relationship, and the latter implies at least most of the Sirens aren't evil by nature.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
I have to say, i have seen 1 picture of risky in a thumbnail, guessing from an animated cutscene, but she is looking really good. If people dont mind, can we get some screenshots of her? We have seen how good Shantae looks i want a better look at Risky's updated portrait and cutscene design.
There are two new ones I've seen so far. https://imgur.com/a/xSWFxQC
I'm going to hold off on viewing the cutscenes (as much as I really, really want to see them), so you're gonna have to look for her yourself.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

It looks like Risky got a haircut. Her bandanna is no longer the magical long-hair concealing apparel it was in Pirate's Curse.
Although, I suppose this is the thumbnail you were talking about?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Probably a result of a perilous event beforehand.

Then again, the series changes artists as often as one changes clothes...It wouldn't be impossible for some to have their own interpretation of what each character is supposed to look like under their accessories.

Also, maybe it's me, but I don't remember Rotty's hair being long enough to cover her ears before this...

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
There are two new ones I've seen so far. https://imgur.com/a/xSWFxQC
I'm going to hold off on viewing the cutscenes (as much as I really, really want to see them), so you're gonna have to look for her yourself.
Ah yeah she looks quite good. Love that back shot. Still, loving this new art style. Ita like a mix of half genie pirates curse and riskys revenge. Looks good. And thats all i needed to see thanks

It looks like Risky got a haircut. Her bandanna is no longer the magical long-hair concealing apparel it was in Pirate's Curse.
Although, I suppose this is the thumbnail you were talking about?
Yeah thats one of the thumbnails i saw

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
An interesting little anecdote cropped up:

They still needed to have Toby Fox's final say, so if Shantae were to become playable, I think that the Smash staff would have to ask the Bozons' permission for design quality control as well.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Off-topic
This is ****ing disgusting. The fact that you are using a beloved mans death to push your reputation as a Big Leaker is beyond appalling. Thanks to you, we're gonna have to see a wave of people going "BUT THE IWATA TRIBUTE" and constantly reminding people of Iwata's passing because you wanna fake leak something we all know won't even happen yet again.

You're sick, dude. Thanks for ruining Geno's rep with your moronic lies and thanks for using Iwata's death to push even MORE of your moronic lies that we know your little fandom is gonna parrot.

Here's a tip from me to this thread: don't interact with Fatman. For your own sake, Shantaegang.
Says the man with the Geno avatar. Without Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , Geno wouldn't probably be on the discussion table right now so whatever he says I believe is truthful whether it comes true or not. You should thank Fatman when Geno get's in regardless of your hatred for him. I swear the clique always goes out of their way to harass Fatman whenever they can. Most of you agreeing with this guy never come to the Shantae thread and just happen to show up to beat down on Fatman. Again, stop harassing Fatman clique.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
An interesting little anecdote cropped up:

They still needed to have Toby Fox's final say, so if Shantae were to become playable, I think that the Smash staff would have to ask the Bozons' permission for design quality control as well.

Exactly which design they'll choose to emphasize is an utter mystery. We might a taller and leaner Shantae if going by art and cutscenes, or a chibi in the style of :ultmegaman:. Even the sprites have notable differences between Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero onwards.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Exactly which design they'll choose to emphasize is an utter mystery. We might a taller and leaner Shantae if going by art and cutscenes, or a chibi in the style of :ultmegaman:. Even the sprites have notable differences between Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero onwards.
Yeah, the only certainty is that it would be something that includes accessories from all her past designs.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, the only certainty is that it would be something that includes accessories from all her past designs.
Try to picture Shantae wearing all of her bracers and headdresses at once when you read this.

The concession I see here is selecting one main design that is the basis for all her coloured alts, and one with her pirate outfit and vest.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Saw this on Know Your Meme, spoilers with no context for the new shantae game, and have no idea what any of this means but laughed. Will put it in a spoiler tag just to be safe.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Saw this on Know Your Meme, spoilers with no context for the new shantae game, and have no idea what any of this means but laughed. Will put it in a spoiler tag just to be safe.

Ammo Baron looking like a sultan here. Yes, I know this attire was in HGH.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Without Fatmanonice, Geno wouldn't probably be on the discussion table right now
I'd rather not get in the middle, but I'm fairly certain Sakurai's old comments on his Mii outfit as well as:ultbanjokazooie:'s inclusion would be more than enough to bring Geno back onto the speculation table.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd rather not get in the middle, but I'm fairly certain Sakurai's old comments on his Mii outfit as well as:ultbanjokazooie:'s inclusion would be more than enough to bring Geno back onto the speculation table.
That's part of it, but Fatmanonice Fatmanonice help pushed the American fanbase for Geno. He wrote a long essay about Geno and send it to Nintendo back in 2006. He travelled to Japan to do that.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

I saw that as well some time ago. Thought about posting it. Was unsure if Mods would allow it to stay up.

Here's Shantae in Animal Crossing by KOU

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I saw that as well some time ago. Thought about posting it. Was unsure if Mods would allow it to stay up.

Here's Shantae in Animal Crossing by KOU

Aww, that's so cute. And worth noting that it was made by an eastern fan. Always nice to have evidence that she has a fan base outside of the west.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Aww, that's so cute. And worth noting that it was made by an eastern fan. Always nice to have evidence that she has a fan base outside of the west.
I should mention that KOU been an artist on several Shantae games. Still very nice that he continues to make fan stuff.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
The worst part (for me) was that it's just plain ol' too much stuff on the No-Context spoilers section. Because most images I've seen that usually have no-context spoilers only have six images to portray the entire plot, instead of the megaton of stuff on there.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Between Seven Sirens and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, it's going to be a fairly expensive month for gaming at least in my case

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Too bad everything is shut down so I can't get it!!!!
Risky next please Funko.

Between Seven Sirens and Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, it's going to be a fairly expensive month for gaming at least in my case
Matt I didn't know you were into the Shantae games. It's great to have you here on the thread.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
BTW, River City Girls on the Switch has just received the patch that the Steam version has had since January (the one that alters the secret ending among other things).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
BTW, River City Girls on the Switch has just received the patch that the Steam version has had since January (the one that alters the secret ending among other things).
Almost every game on Switch gets patches slower than everywhere else. It took a long while for Switch Slay The Spire to get the Watcher added, and now I don't know how long the first patch for One Step From Eden will take.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Almost every game on Switch gets patches slower than everywhere else. It took a long while for Switch Slay The Spire to get the Watcher added, and now I don't know how long the first patch for One Step From Eden will take.
Strangely, the opposite happened for A Hat in Time; PS4 owners have yet to get Nyakuza Metro, in particular, if I recall correctly.

Dukefire

Smash Master
An update about the Smash Team developing the DLC and the CERO rating (Japan's version of Rating games) temporally closing their doors due to the ongoing virus crisis.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Cool i just... i want to use my gamestop employee discount from my PT job but cant online... i may need to bite the bullet
I plan on buying in store sometime. I love Pop figures, but sometimes the paint jobs can go off so I don't like to order them online if I don't have to.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I plan on buying in store sometime. I love Pop figures, but sometimes the paint jobs can go off so I don't like to order them online if I don't have to.
It will be my one and ONLY Funko Pop purchase.

Top Bottom