• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Here's the updated ending (in spoilers of course):

Oh My God they actually did it. How did I not notice?

But man that old ending was really depressing. I get that the twist was funny but it's never a good idea to make an ending that makes it seem like the player's entire progress was a waste.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Oh My God they actually did it. How did I not notice?

But man that old ending was really depressing. I get that the twist was funny but it's never a good idea to make an ending that makes it seem like the player's entire progress was a waste.
I agree.
That new ending really makes it worth it. : 3

But still, one mystery still remains.
What really happened with the boys in the game's opening?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
At least you can go to a Gamestop, EB Games on my end has been closed down since last month.

Not that I'm really interested in Pops anyway, not really my thing.
I haven't seen a EB Games in Texas since the 2000s so I think they're shut down in the States if I am not mistaken. I heard they're still available in Canada is that where you're from KirbyWorshipper?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Now they're getting to DSi games, will that leave enough games left for 21 milestones?

Sorry for spoiling the beans. You didn't have to answer if you didn't wanted too.
That's fine, barely any users among the regulars even pay attention to this thread anyways.

Sorry to go off topic, but your current profile picture is adorable, Mind my asking what it is from?
The Crash Bandicoot series, specifically Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (although Yaya debuted in Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2, she didn't get an actual full design until last year).

Since my picture on April Fools literally crashed, I'm using a different fan art a day. Speaking of which, I'll have to change it a bit later.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
At least you can go to a Gamestop, EB Games on my end has been closed down since last month.

Not that I'm really interested in Pops anyway, not really my thing.
I can't go to gamestop. They are closed in NJ, and I work there part time too! So thats one of my paychecks not coming in :(

Plus right before we closed for this we were told our store is shutting down too!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Don't know if you saw it, but here's a piece by none other than Stoic Seraphim:

I can't go to gamestop. They are closed in NJ, and I work there part time too! So thats one of my paychecks not coming in :(

Plus right before we closed for this we were told our store is shutting down too!
In my case, I won't even be able to pick up FF7R (pre-ordered months ago) in-store tomorrow, and I don't have enough PS Store funds for it. This closedown bites.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Interesting to see even they felt there was something of an identity crisis for Shantae following the success of Pirate's Curse.
So basically, we could say that this is like an "alt-timeline" Shantae? Not actually an alt-timeline, mind you, but it's sort of removed between Pirate's Curse and HGH. It's interesting that they stated that HGH was more a "Back-to-Basics" kind of game whereas SS is supposedly the Pirate's Curse of the currently duology of the Half-Genie Hero series. Hmm, though what could be a good fit for the other three games: The Pirates Trilogy or something like that?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So basically, we could say that this is like an "alt-timeline" Shantae? Not actually an alt-timeline, mind you, but it's sort of removed between Pirate's Curse and HGH. It's interesting that they stated that HGH was more a "Back-to-Basics" kind of game whereas SS is supposedly the Pirate's Curse of the currently duology of the Half-Genie Hero series. Hmm, though what could be a good fit for the other three games: The Pirates Trilogy or something like that?
The "Sprite Trilogy" that I heard about is simple enough for the first three games.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Let's not go too far in the soft robot rabbit hole. At the end of the day, Half-Genie Hero still references the events of the previous game ("Risky Boots! Back to your old tricks I see.), just not in a way that leaves those not having played it feel left out, so in my eyes the story is still fully continuous. "Identity crisis" may not have been the right words to describe the Pirate vs. Half-Genie dilemma, I just thought it worthy of noting that the devs also grappled over this form vs. function debate that has often raged in these pages.

Happy siblings day with the hooligan sisters!

Can we please have a game starring these sisters soon? 2 was starting to flesh them out in interesting ways.

Edit: Actually, you can start seeing some of their individual personalities popping out here too.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given the debate within the fandom and even the devs about how Shantae's powers should work in gameplay, I can safely assume that Sakurai would put a definitive end to that, seeing how he's able to pull off the most complex mechanics for certain characters.

Can we please have a game starring these sisters soon? 2 was starting to flesh them out in interesting ways.
Just hope the collection sold well, first of all.

But still, one mystery still remains.
What really happened with the boys in the game's opening?
Pure bait and switch, most likely.

I mean, with how WF likes their black comedy sometimes, I wouldn't put it past them.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
And people are still not sure what is Nintendo doing with a ARMS rep for Challenger 6.
So, everyone is still waiting before calculating odds for their character's chances.
Screenshot_20200411-032657_Video Player.jpg

Jigglepuffs3

Smash Rookie
And people are still not sure what is Nintendo doing with a ARMS rep for Challenger 6.
So, everyone is still waiting before calculating odds for their character's chances.
Im just hope she makes it in in my opinion i feel like if its a female idk why i just feel like she has the biggest chance well besides the arms characters hope twintelle makes it

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Heres a newish gimmick idea for Shantae in Smash. Have her have a magic meter and for certain attack and specials it drains constantly while they are in use. Basically how it works in game. All the other magic users with meters currently drain per use but not over time. Shantae could be in her elephant form and it drains for as long as she stays in it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
heres something I found on twitter, its doom related, but it uses the Run run Rottytops music, which is one of the best music tracks in Shantae. Hope when shantae comes thats one of the music tracks.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
heres something I found on twitter, its doom related, but it uses the Run run Rottytops music, which is one of the best music tracks in Shantae. Hope when shantae comes thats one of the music tracks.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I have no doubt in my mind that WF would be as generous as SNK when it comes to offering music tracks from their games. I suspect we'd even get one from Cat Girl Without Salad.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
My Shantae Funko POP figure came in, one and only funko I will ever buy.

MattX20

Smash Hero
To be honest, I'd rather have a Figma of Shantae made instead of Funko pops. The black eyes never looked right

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I'm not fond of Funko POPS' design either but since it is Shantae, I'll take it !
Being a Funko POP is such a great achivement.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be honest, I'd rather have a Figma of Shantae made instead of Funko pops. The black eyes never looked right
Yeah, though her exposure and extent is still somewhat limited, so it'll take some time for more decent merch to get produced. Heck, we didn't even get Nendoroids yet.

Pops don't remotely tempt me enough to buy them, not even this one, the only time I got some were pack-ins for Batman: TAS' blu-ray set.

Last edited:

etnoika

Smash Cadet
I preordered mine from Big Bad Toy store when it was announced, but it still hasn't come in yet. Not surprising considering all the mail issues lately.

But yeah, I'd take ANY kind of Shantae figure over a Funko Pop, I would have gotten the Charagumins but they're too expensive and you have to paint them yourself.

But I'm confident we're gonna get an amiibo someday, Smash fighter or not.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I preordered mine from Big Bad Toy store when it was announced, but it still hasn't come in yet. Not surprising considering all the mail issues lately.

But yeah, I'd take ANY kind of Shantae figure over a Funko Pop, I would have gotten the Charagumins but they're too expensive and you have to paint them yourself.

But I'm confident we're gonna get an amiibo someday, Smash fighter or not.
You dont need to paint those, you just need to put it together. I have them, but havent done those yet myself

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Yeah, though her exposure and extent is still somewhat limited, so it'll take some time for more decent merch to get produced. Heck, we didn't even get Nendoroids yet.
Oh yeah, didn't GoodSmile announce a Shantae Nendoroid at some point?

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Not to my knowledge, but Totaku is releasing a Shantae figure though really soon.
Went looking för that Nendoroid rumor. I think it was just some Blog and Twitter poll. Damnable memory of mine.

Any updates on the Totaku figure?

Top Bottom