• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I doubt its not a current spirit. Honestly the only ones that have any sort of chance that arent spirits are helix, Dr. Coyle, and Max Brass, and none of them are as iconic in the ARMS series as any of the spirits. We are getting a spirit upgrade, i guarantee it
I agree with you. All the non spirit ARMS fighters aren't nearly as iconic or popular to represent their series. As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY way the ARMS rep isn't one of the characters who are already spirits is if they are releasing an ARMS 2 and the fighter is the main character from that game.

And I honestly doubt that will be the case. Tho not a bomb, ARMS wasn't a runaway off smash hit like Splatoon was before it so I don't see a sequel being in the works this soon. Maybe a major DLC update, but I'm not even sure of that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm just saying, if something unexpected happens, don't say I didn't warn you. One has to consider every angle that could be taken.

Also, simply just typing "Seven Sirens" on Youtube search is enough to give you full walkthrough, cutscene and boss compilation videos, so be careful.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I doubt its not a current spirit. Honestly the only ones that have any sort of chance that arent spirits are helix, Dr. Coyle, and Max Brass, and none of them are as iconic in the ARMS series as any of the spirits. We are getting a spirit upgrade, i guarantee it
I agree with you. All the non spirit ARMS fighters aren't nearly as iconic or popular to represent their series. As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY way the ARMS rep isn't one of the characters who are already spirits is if they are releasing an ARMS 2 and the fighter is the main character from that game.

And I honestly doubt that will be the case. Tho not a bomb, ARMS wasn't a runaway off smash hit like Splatoon was before it so I don't see a sequel being in the works this soon. Maybe a major DLC update, but I'm not even sure of that.
And yet at the same time, featuring a lesser character from a series, seems to be like such a Sakurai-thing to do.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai picked a character from ARMS, that isn't one of the iconic ones, over some arbitrary standard.

Keep in mind, Sakurai has some arbitrary (and sometimes inconsistent) standards.
Like Spoilers and other stuff.
Heck, Ganondorf was a Captain Falcon clone for the longest time, for that reason.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyone can change their minds about anything. This even includes those higher-ups at Nintendo (at least, depending on the division). Sak considered stopping to have Smash be a Nintendo-only thing as early as Melee, but it was too late to include :ultsnake: at the time.

Only a fool does not change his mind, as the saying goes.

In all seriousness though, I was hoping we'd get Shantae talk now that the game's getting close, but now most actively avoid doing that because spoilers. :glare:

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
And yet at the same time, featuring a lesser character from a series, seems to be like such a Sakurai-thing to do.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai picked a character from ARMS, that isn't one of the iconic ones, over some arbitrary standard.

Keep in mind, Sakurai has some arbitrary (and sometimes inconsistent) standards.
Like Spoilers and other stuff.
Heck, Ganondorf was a Captain Falcon clone for the longest time, for that reason.
Eh, sure it's possible that Sakurai could choose any obscure ARMS character, but I think his track record shows some insight to his thought process. He has many times chosen less interesting characters from a game franchise simply because they are the main or mascot character. Little Mac instead of the many personality filled characters from Punch Out. Ryu and Ken instead of the far more unique characters Street Fighter has to offer. So many SNK options that would all be visually and mechanically unique, and instead we get Terry because he is SNK's flagship character. And of course Byleth, who would have been the easiest main character to ignore since they were aware of the criticism regarding FE reps, but instead they still choose the blue haired, sword wielding main character.

With ARMS, I am expecting a Hero style assortment of interchangeable skins (either 4 colors of Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, or 2 colors of them along with Min Min and Ninjara) Barring some choice made purely to thrown people off, Spring Man will be represented because he is the face of the franchise. The only way I see out of this is if a new game is coming with a character meant to supplant Spring Man as the main character.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Damnit Youtube I don't want to see any Seven Sirens spoilers!

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY way the ARMS rep isn't one of the characters who are already spirits is if they are releasing an ARMS 2 and the fighter is the main character from that game.
I've been thinking this is becoming less and less likely, because why would they switch the main character out now? Spring Man and Ribbon Girl have been their two main characters since the first reveal trailer, and while I still think they'll pick Min Min for Smash just because she's the most popular, it makes no sense for a hypothetical ARMS 2 to have many major changes in the character department. Maybe a couple new side characters, sure, but when it comes to a fighting game franchise like ARMS I would expect them to keep Spring Man and Ribbon Girl as the faces of the franchise.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, it's still possible for Sakurai to have picked one of the minor characters.
Or maybe an ARMS2 with a new cast of characters, like Street Fighter 3 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves.
He is that unpredictable.
So again, I recommend you wait and see, before you get hyped up prematurely.
Unlikely doesn't mean impossible.

Of course, if the character happens to be one of the more popular characters that are already in as spirits, then it's time to celebrate.
Especially of Spring Man is the one.
But please, not before we actually get the trailer and official confirmation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, it's still possible for Sakurai to have picked one of the minor characters.
Or maybe an ARMS2 with a new cast of characters, like Street Fighter 3 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves.
He is that unpredictable.
So again, I recommend you wait and see, before you get hyped up prematurely.
Unlikely doesn't mean impossible.

Of course, if the character happens to be one of the more popular characters that are already in as spirits, then it's time to celebrate.
Especially of Spring Man is the one.
But please, not before we actually get the trailer and official confirmation.
Yeah, let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Also, can we please change the subject? I know that the wait for SSS is long, but ARMS talk anywhere outside of its support thread is getting old fast.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We are not going to get new ARMS info as Challenger 6 until June rolls in. So two months to wait.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What kind of video history do you even have that constantly assaults you with those? I don't even get that in my recommendations and I need to look for them on purpose.
I mostly just watch video game and anime related videos. But sometimes I think a Youtube recommendation is more related to your Internet browsing history or something you do daily than your Youtube history. I have seen Youtube recommendations before like that.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
ah so I should absolutely not search Shantae for two more months, good.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Also, can we please change the subject? I know that the wait for SSS is long, but ARMS talk anywhere outside of its support thread is getting old fast.
Have you noticed Wayforward seems to be getting into the habit of shadow-dropping or making trailers on release day lately?

Eh, sure it's possible that Sakurai could choose any obscure ARMS character, but I think his track record shows some insight to his thought process. He has many times chosen less interesting characters from a game franchise simply because they are the main or mascot character. Little Mac instead of the many personality filled characters from Punch Out. Ryu and Ken instead of the far more unique characters Street Fighter has to offer. So many SNK options that would all be visually and mechanically unique, and instead we get Terry because he is SNK's flagship character. And of course Byleth, who would have been the easiest main character to ignore since they were aware of the criticism regarding FE reps, but instead they still choose the blue haired, sword wielding main character.

With ARMS, I am expecting a Hero style assortment of interchangeable skins (either 4 colors of Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, or 2 colors of them along with Min Min and Ninjara) Barring some choice made purely to thrown people off, Spring Man will be represented because he is the face of the franchise. The only way I see out of this is if a new game is coming with a character meant to supplant Spring Man as the main character.
Not going to consider accessibility? You never answered my previous questions about how they're supposed to meaningfully implement "flashier" fighting game characters with more complex inputs. Guile as an assist says it all about how a charge input-focused character would do in Smash.

Interestingly, the only instance of a main character in a fighting game that I know of not being one of the easiest to use is Akira, another assist.

And I'm sorry, but none of the other Punch-Out characters remotely come close to offering what Little Mac can in a gameplay sense. Those Star Punches or KO Meters? His and his alone, taught only by Doc Louis. And if you're going to be pure melee as a boxer tends to be, I'd rather it be someone fast like him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Have you noticed Wayforward seems to be getting into the habit of shadow-dropping or making trailers on release day lately?
Yeah, now that you mention it, they did the same thing for Part 1 of SSS as well. It's somewhat peculiar

Speaking of shadow-dropped games, I've seen a rather nice cosplay of CGWSAB's Kebako that's under progress.

Meanwhile, WF continues their milestone countdown still.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
lol what if the last milestone is after Shantae's reveal as DLC in Smash?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Even if they do promote Arms 2, it's still gonna be a character used from the first game. No way are they just gonna drop someone who never existed anywhere else before in Smash. How would you feel if Metal Gear was represented early around Melee and instead of Snake, it was MGS2 Raiden whose game wasn't out yet at the time? You all would've been like "...who?"

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Even if they do promote Arms 2, it's still gonna be a character used from the first game.
Not confirmed yet. This is just your own speculation and belief at this point in time.
Just because you think this is what's going to happen, doesn't make it the truth.

No way are they just gonna drop someone who never existed anywhere else before in Smash.
Well it happened in games like Street Fighter 3 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves, where the familiar cast was dropped completely and replaced with new characters.
So don't say it can't happen, just because you can't see it happening.

How would you feel if Metal Gear was represented early around Melee and instead of Snake, it was MGS2 Raiden whose game wasn't out yet at the time? You all would've been like "...who?"
Snake made it into Smash, because Hideo Kojima wanted it and because him and Sakurai are friends.
But if Kojima wanted Raiden instead of Snake, we would've gotten Raiden.

Oh and btw: It's not like we've never gotten a Smash Character, whose game wasn't out at the time they made it into Smash.
Corrin and Roy anyone?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Not confirmed yet. This is just your own speculation and belief at this point in time.
Just because you think this is what's going to happen, doesn't make it the truth.

Well it happened in games like Street Fighter 3 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves, where the familiar cast was dropped completely and replaced with new characters.
So don't say it can't happen, just because you can't see it happening.

Snake made it into Smash, because Hideo Kojima wanted it and because him and Sakurai are friends.
But if Kojima wanted Raiden instead of Snake, we would've gotten Raiden.

Oh and btw: It's not like we've never gotten a Smash Character, whose game wasn't out at the time they made it into Smash.
Corrin and Roy anyone?
Roy's game was unexpectedly delayed right before Melee, and Corrin very much already existed in Japan by then.

Plus an ARMS 2 scenario would be vastly different as it woud mean a completely just announced sequel gets the MC added to Smash over the more known and popular cast from the first game. Not to mention for Corrin, we atleast knew of the game WELL before their introduction in Smash from trailers and such.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Even if they do promote Arms 2, it's still gonna be a character used from the first game. No way are they just gonna drop someone who never existed anywhere else before in Smash. How would you feel if Metal Gear was represented early around Melee and instead of Snake, it was MGS2 Raiden whose game wasn't out yet at the time? You all would've been like "...who?"
You mean, someone like Roy? Marth is also an example for western audiences.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Roy's game was unexpectedly delayed right before Melee, and Corrin very much already existed in Japan by then.

Plus an ARMS 2 scenario would be vastly different as it woud mean a completely just announced sequel gets the MC added to Smash over the more known and popular cast from the first game. Not to mention for Corrin, we atleast knew of the game WELL before their introduction in Smash from trailers and such.
It's worth noting that, tho not a flop, ARMS didn't do as well as Nintendo hoped. They were priming it to be another Splatoon which never came to be. Tho I don;t think it is the case, I could see a mindset where Nintendo if giving ARMS one more shot with a sequel and hyping it up as much as they can. Giving everyone access to the first game for a brief period in hopes that people will like the game play (but giving them access to the ful game so they are prepared for people to possibly play it all) Then announcing a sequel and hyping it further by having that games main character in Smash.

Not saying it's at all likely, just saying that it is a marketing move that I could see a company making. The full access to ARMS is the one that really makes me wonder. By doing this you would think that it would only prevent the people on the fence about the game from buying it (I imagine most of the people who want it have it and everyone else probably would be satisfied with a single play through while the trail lasts) So that's why I could see either a sequel or an expansion that won't be available for the free trial to happen. Try and get people hooked on a game and then dangle something new for them to try after they have done everything they want to with the free trial.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
>ARMS talk yet again
I seriously hope that the mods don't notice, they gave out a warning a week or so ago.
Eh, don't look at that last post as being about ARMS. Think of it more as another example of the user trying to find ways big companies are out to disappoint him or be tone-deaf to "true fans" and be money-grubbers.

It's not like Nintendo has ever tried persisting with a series that has had a stretch of one disappointing sales performance after another, right?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, don't look at that last post as being about ARMS. Think of it more as another example of the user trying to find ways big companies are out to disapppoint him or be tone-deaf to "true fans" and be money-grubbers.

It's not like Nintendo has ever tried persisting with a series that has had a stretch of one disappointing sales performance after another, right?
Yeah, I mean Star Fox keeps getting attempts at staying relevant, even though relying on a third-party and/or Miyamoto clearly isn't working.

I don't see how it could be impossible for companies to understand what players want sometimes, just look at Nitro-Fueled.

If nothing else, Smash does at least allow a perceived "failed" series to be immortalized in the best way possible, since it's an interactive museum of sorts.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, I mean Star Fox keeps getting attempts at staying relevant, even though relying on a third-party and/or Miyamoto clearly isn't working.

I don't see how it could be impossible for companies to understand what players want sometimes, just look at Nitro-Fueled.

If nothing else, Smash does at least allow a perceived "failed" series to be immortalized in the best way possible, since it's an interactive museum of sorts.
I was thinking more along the lines of Metroid and Fire Emblem (even though they did come close to giving up on that one), but sure.

You also have to consider some genres, like most fighting games that aren't the easy-to-play and highly recognizable Smash, are inherently more niche than others and sales expectations should be set accordingly.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was thinking more along the lines of Metroid and Fire Emblem (even though they did come close to giving up on that one), but sure.

You also have to consider some genres, like most fighting games that aren't the easy-to-play and highly recognizable Smash, are inherently more niche than others and sales expectations should be set accordingly.
Yeah, as long as the company itself isn't niche (I've heard about Nippon Ichi having financial troubles lately) or does keep a steady flow of games that sell just good enough (e.g. Arc System Works and Aksys Games), having lower-key games won't hurt much.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Im just gonna say this about ARMS and having to be a tie for a new game or not... we got Joker but no sight of that port yet. We got Terry but no new games. And let alone Banjo.

Here is my thought of why ARMS is getting in: Because Sakurai and Nintendo wanted them in the base game but the timing was not good. Thats the reason. Will be the same reason for Rex and Pyra if they are announced. Dont expect an ARMS 2 or anything else. This is only because they wanted them in sooner but couldnt. Nothing wrong with that and i think thats a great reason to add this cool series

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Flaming
Just to clarify things, yes, one of my guys claimed that there was a rumor of an Iwata tribute character outside Season 2 that was specifically going around Nintendo's Japanese offices back in January or so. Not a lot of evidence backing it up right but I think it's potentially noteworthy and possible.
This is ****ing disgusting. The fact that you are using a beloved mans death to push your reputation as a Big Leaker is beyond appalling. Thanks to you, we're gonna have to see a wave of people going "BUT THE IWATA TRIBUTE" and constantly reminding people of Iwata's passing because you wanna fake leak something we all know won't even happen yet again.

You're sick, dude. Thanks for ruining Geno's rep with your moronic lies and thanks for using Iwata's death to push even MORE of your moronic lies that we know your little fandom is gonna parrot.

Here's a tip from me to this thread: don't interact with Fatman. For your own sake, Shantaegang.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Can we not start this again? Luigi The President Luigi The President Use the ignore function if you don't want to see his posts, you didn't need to reply and the post would have been quietly buried after a few pages. No one was even talking about it rn.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
This is ****ing disgusting. The fact that you are using a beloved mans death to push your reputation as a Big Leaker is beyond appalling. Thanks to you, we're gonna have to see a wave of people going "BUT THE IWATA TRIBUTE" and constantly reminding people of Iwata's passing because you wanna fake leak something we all know won't even happen yet again.

You're sick, dude. Thanks for ruining Geno's rep with your moronic lies and thanks for using Iwata's death to push even MORE of your moronic lies that we know your little fandom is gonna parrot.

Here's a tip from me to this thread: don't interact with Fatman. For your own sake, Shantaegang.
Its not his fault you guys get into hissy fit over what a leaker says, whether they are lying or not, whether their soures are lying or not. Get over it.
Best to not have any psitive or negative responses in regards to leaks regardless of their info or purpose.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

hello president luiigig

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Excuse me? Sakurai himself has talked about how Ultimate was basically a tribute to Iwata all onto itself numerous times:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vi...ledges-iwata-in-japan-game-awards-speech/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...-last-mission-and-if-he-knows-whats-next/amp/

Plus, this isn't new. I first talked about this in early February. You all are responsible for your own expectations and emotional regulation. I outright say that it is a rumor that literally one person I'm in contact with backs right now which doesn't exactly push it in the realm of high plausibility to begin with.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Trolling/bait
do you guys think that now e3 is dead theyll add an e3 rep?

i dunno seems like itd be pretty respectful and if i knew such a thing i'd totally use it to boost my leaker cred since it sounds plausible but in reality all im doing is exploiting the death of an iconic event in the gaming industry to make myself sound credible

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I don't want to be that guy, but if you guys can't be civil or drop the subject we might as well close the thread for a while.

Use the ignore feature, take it to DMs, or what have you. I know we're not suppose backseat mod, but if you keep this up one will come round to lock it.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Lets all be nice and calm, and stay on topic. I think its ok to talk about other fighters or theories if it can be tied back to Shantae. Like for ARMS, if it turns out to be a spirit it boosts her chances a ton.

And I know Fatmanonice Fatmanonice has the best intentions. I also know he doesn't feel any indies have a shot based on what he hears, but I also know its fine to like what he says or dislike what he says but still feel its just that, theories. I feel Shantae or an Indie rep is a certain, and they are being very quiet about it.

D

Deleted member

do you guys think that now e3 is dead theyll add an e3 rep?

i dunno seems like itd be pretty respectful and if i knew such a thing i'd totally use it to boost my leaker cred since it sounds plausible but in reality all im doing is exploiting the death of an iconic event in the gaming industry to make myself sound credible
they will add just dance

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh boy, I guess I have to say this here now too: Don't bring me up in this thread or any other thread because it typically just turns into outrage porn. Go to the Geno thread, post on my wall, or send a DM if you want to specifically talk about something that I said/shared. The end of Smash DLC can't get here soon enough...

Top Bottom