• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
History seems to be a theme in this pass, which goes in hand with a comment of Sakurai's mentioning Smash becoming a celebration of gaming. The modern thief Joker, the generations-spanning Hero, N64 icon Banjo-Kazooie, and now Neo-Geo pioneer Terry Bogard. (I kinda want to replay World Of Light just to run through the Street Fighter II area with him and somewhat recreate SNK vs. Capcom).

Fingers crossed the history of indies is close to being next in the list... in the meantime we can enjoy the proto-Shantae that is Demon's Crest as part of Switch Online.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Just because Shantae is a Spirit and her franchise is kind of already represented in the game because of that, that doesn't mean she is deconfirmed because I believe he is just talking about the roster not everything else in the game.
I think Dukes point was that the statement suggests they wouldn't want to expand on franchises like Pokemon or FE because they would want to use the chance to bring in as many different things as possible.

As for her spirit, it being included doesn't really mean her "world" is included. Adding Shantae would still be music not represented and a stage not represented.

As for the possibility of another pokemon/FE character... If they are interesting and different I wouldn't mind. An FE rep CAN'T use a sword at this point, either get another weapon in there (preferably a staff since an axe would still play like a sword) or use a character who exists outside the triangle. Tiki would be a great option and although she is an assist, young Tiki could still be used. They made a point of showing she will be playable in the Tokyo Mirage port so who knows.

As for a pokemon... There are so many out there that are all so unique. As long as it's not another fire starter and Ideally not bipedal since Ivy and Duck hunt are the only quadrupeds. Also with so many un-reped types it would be nice to get more variety.

If new DLC includes new echos I would suggest taking Smash 4 Charizard and reskinning it as Flygon. turn the fire moves (flare blitz, Flamthrower) into dragon moves (dragon rush, dragon breath) and there you go!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Of course, since Smash is a celebration of gaming as a whole. Sakurai is getting as many popular characters from games of various titles to join the brawl while representing his/her impact

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think Dukes point was that the statement suggests they wouldn't want to expand on franchises like Pokemon or FE because they would want to use the chance to bring in as many different things as possible.

As for her spirit, it being included doesn't really mean her "world" is included. Adding Shantae would still be music not represented and a stage not represented.

As for the possibility of another pokemon/FE character... If they are interesting and different I wouldn't mind. An FE rep CAN'T use a sword at this point, either get another weapon in there (preferably a staff since an axe would still play like a sword) or use a character who exists outside the triangle. Tiki would be a great option and although she is an assist, young Tiki could still be used. They made a point of showing she will be playable in the Tokyo Mirage port so who knows.

As for a pokemon... There are so many out there that are all so unique. As long as it's not another fire starter and Ideally not bipedal since Ivy and Duck hunt are the only quadrupeds. Also with so many un-reped types it would be nice to get more variety.

If new DLC includes new echos I would suggest taking Smash 4 Charizard and reskinning it as Flygon. turn the fire moves (flare blitz, Flamthrower) into dragon moves (dragon rush, dragon breath) and there you go!
But staves aren't used for attacking in Fire Emblem, only debuffs at best. Assist Tiki basically covers what a Manakete does and we already have two dragons in the roster with Charizard and Ridley. You can only do so much to vary bows, and we only have one pure magic lord in Micaiah.

Three Houses introduces enough new mechanics to make a fighter from there feel different (namely the battalion attacks) regardless of their weapon of choice. Although, probably not before an Octoling echo, ARMS fighter and Rex & Pyra/Mythra if the goal is playing catch-up with the recent Nintendo releases.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
But staves aren't used for attacking in Fire Emblem, only debuffs at best. Assist Tiki basically covers what a Manakete does and we already have two dragons in the roster with Charizard and Ridley. You can only do so much to vary bows, and we only have one pure magic lord in Micaiah.

Three Houses introduces enough new mechanics to make a fighter from there feel different (namely the battalion attacks) regardless of their weapon of choice. Although, probably not before an Octoling echo, ARMS fighter and Rex & Pyra/Mythra if the goal is playing catch-up with the recent Nintendo releases.
OK, well, when I said staff I meant a polearm type weapon. I forgot that in FE they classify all of those under the name of spear. As for what Tiki could do I'd say just look at her in FE Warriors.

As for too many dragons... We have 5 dogs in the game. 3 bird in the game (I am counting both duck hunt and Band K as half a bird each for that equation) 3 turtles (unless you want to count all the Koopaling seperately)

As long as she played differently a fourth dragon (you fogot about Corrin) wouldn't be too big an issue.

Side note, how does everyone feel about Switch ever getting Rare replay now? That comment about having to go to the Xbox to play the original Banjo Kazooie felt pretty final in that regard...

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice

Eh,between his sword which acts more like a chainwhip and his control over both time and space I think you could make a pretty interesting moveset for Byleth.(who's the only remotely plausible three houses rep tbh)I'd lose my **** if child!Tiki got in though.Mystery of the emblem already gives you some decent inspiration for a FS so you already have that taken care of already.Helps that she's one of the few manaketes that has a strong presence in her games story.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So HOW popular is Sans cmpared to Shantae in terms of Smash community?

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Shantae still has a chance.

Also Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition guys! YOOO!

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
To my knowledge Sans is mostly a meme choice like Goku or Shrek.In unofficial polls Shantae and Shovel Knight are FAR more popular.Shantae in particular regularly makes it in the top 10 requests period in terms of most wanted newcomer.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
lol tthe people who think spirits still deconfirm given we now have MORE DLC slots.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It all depends on who you ask. He has his die-hards and also people who absolutely hate him and his fans. He's kind of like an Extreme Shantae in that sense as there are much less people indifferent about him.

But there is no real way to know how the community as a whole feels about him or any other character really.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I downloaded the Sans skin in a heartbeat the moment it got on store. That Megalovania baby!

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im just flabbergasted we basicsally got a Smash direct today AFTER the Nintendo one considering it was 20 minutes long.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
About the Post-FP DLC, beware that this might be when Pokemon/FE can break into the DLC realm again. We might get Shantae coming back in fighter form, but we might also get another Pokemon/FE character.
I'm well-aware that can happen to start with. The question is whether they'll wait long enough until they stop being "too recent".

Im just flabbergasted we basicsally got a Smash direct today AFTER the Nintendo one considering it was 20 minutes long.
Technically, it was a character showcase presentation, but yeah.

But hey, it's still funny in a sense, since some users here went "it'd be rude towards fans of other games for Smash to take up so much focus", but nuts to that, apparently.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I think Sans was more or less like a meme post, like Freddy or Shrek. I know that's a Greninja there, but it's true. That being said, those who were voting for him might have thought that, through Sans, they may get a character like Undyne or another fighting Undertale character. Shantae, though, while some of it is inevitably memetic (considering her history), I would love to think that we're serious with our love for her.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I think Sans was more or less like a meme post, like Freddy or Shrek. I know that's a Greninja there, but it's true. That being said, those who were voting for him might have thought that, through Sans, they may get a character like Undyne or another fighting Undertale character. Shantae, though, while some of it is inevitably memetic (considering her history), I would love to think that we're serious with our love for her.
Memes are also reletive. No joking when Banjo and Kazooie I was talking with my 13 and 9 year old cousins and they said "I can't believe a meme character got in"

Every character that has been suggested is genuinely supported by someone regardless of how "ironic" most of it's support may seem.

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
I doubt her popularity is due to memes.If it was I'd expect Camilla to be in the top 10 instead since even if Shantae is fanservicey the latter is so excessively pandering that she's a walking meme in her own fanbase.In that case why latch onto a relatively small series when you have a memeworthy character who wouldn't look out of place in an ecchi anime right there?

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I downloaded the Sans skin in a heartbeat the moment it got on store. That Megalovania baby!

I...I cant ******* BELIEVE Megolovania is ACTUALLY in Smash!

THis is technically the first ever fangame content in smash since it debuted first in an Earthbound hack.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To my knowledge Sans is mostly a meme choice like Goku or Shrek.In unofficial polls Shantae and Shovel Knight are FAR more popular.Shantae in particular regularly makes it in the top 10 requests period in terms of most wanted newcomer.
Sans does have the merit of being an actual video game character compared to some meme picks (Batman's another noteworthy one). I'm just amazed that his fans got a consolation prize like this.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Want to show something quick, look at sandbag when hit with the home run bat

Screenshot_20190904-192632_YouTube.jpg

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
So happy to hear the news of more fighters after the initial 5. With Shantae's popularity on the rise, and The Seven Sirens coming out, I really hope Sakurai gives our girl a shot!

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Here is an artwork for tonight with the news of a Second Chance as a DLC fighters. Which includes shantae in the crowd.
Artist: Stoic Seraphim
EDqpIIAXYAEy_Yc (1).jpeg

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
So i didn't think much of it at the time, Due to the proximity to PAXwest and the wording of the tweet. But James was at NoA HQ not too long ago

https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/status/1167302213867167744?s=09

It's still probably nothing, as I would think any meetings involving Shantae in smash would be handled by the Bozons.

But ya know once again Shantae and her team at WF being real close to people at the Big N.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So i didn't think much of it at the time, Due to the proximity to PAXwest and the wording of the tweet. But James was at NoA HQ not too long ago

https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/status/1167302213867167744?s=09

It's still probably nothing, as I would think any meetings involving Shantae in smash would be handled by the Bozons.

But ya know once again Shantae and her team at WF being real close to people at the Big N.
I thought he was at NoJ when I first saw that and I was "WTF WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE?!"

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I just realized that starling leak pic that was posted on the internet was cause Terry has a star in his background art.

grizby2

Smash Lord
im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad theres gonna be more fighters besides the 5!

right off the top of my head..
shantae
geno
crash
rayman
yoshimitsu

there is HOPE my friends. THERE. IS. HOPE!

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
For me, I hope to see...

Shantae
Jill Valentine
Travis Touchdown
Doomguy
Velvet Crowe

Last edited:

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
Assuming we get an extra 5 I'd probably want
1.Tiki
2.Shantae
3.Rex or failing that Pyra/Mythra by themselves
4.Sol Badguy
5.Mandatory gen 8 pokemon

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It's important to note that they didn't specify a number of how many characters after the fighters pass we can expect. They also specified that fighters after the Fighter's pass will be sold individually. So that makes me assume it will be less than 5 otherwise it would make sense to do a season two of the pass.

Any of this could of course change, but it's best to keep expectations reigned in on this until we hear more.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
It's important to note that they didn't specify a number of how many characters after the fighters pass we can expect. They also specified that fighters after the Fighter's pass will be sold individually. So that makes me assume it will be less than 5 otherwise it would make sense to do a season two of the pass.

Any of this could of course change, but it's best to keep expectations reigned in on this until we hear more.
Wouldn't be our fault they didn't specify an amount if it's not a Season 2. They should know what we're all thinking when they said more fighters.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
It's true they didn't specify the number of fighters. It was in the plural though. Bare minimum two, more likely three. I suppose four or more is possible.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
It's true they didn't specify the number of fighters. It was in the plural though. Bare minimum two, more likely three. I suppose four or more is possible.
I think they explicitly didn't give a number do they could leave things open to change. Like they probably have a number in mind, but if they told us that number they would be bond to it. This way they can do the work they want and if it ever stops being profitable enough or if time and schedules start conflicting, they aren't obligated to push themselves.

It's the smartest move on their part, but yes they did pluralize it, so they are beholden to at least two more after the pass.

I'm optimistic it will be more just because if the pace they are making right now. It seemed like Joker too forever, but since then they have been doing out faster and faster. The trailer promises Terry in November, which gives them the months to get the fifth character it before their initial deadline would be up. I wouldn't be surprised if number fine is out sometime in January.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Also, Goemon died, too. Now I feel nauseated.
Goemon isn't dead, he is back from the dead. :bluejump:

im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad theres gonna be more fighters besides the 5!

right off the top of my head..
shantae
geno
crash
rayman
yoshimitsu

there is HOPE my friends. THERE. IS. HOPE!
Sees Yoshimitsu on your list "Man of great taste and culture.".

zferolie

Smash Hero

As johnny says at around the 3 minute mark, with Shovel knight being an AT, and Sans a mii costume, it nust makes sense that an indie fighter is coming, and that has to be Shantae. No one other then Reimu from touhou is as big of an indie character as shantae is.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's consider the following:

The WOL datamine from months ago had uncovered 16 character slots. 6 of those are covered by PP and the pass, so that likely leaves us with 10 additional characters to cover. That can give a rough idea of what to expect, possibly,

Dukefire

Smash Master
Let's consider the following:

The WOL datamine from months ago had uncovered 16 character slots. 6 of those are covered by PP and the pass, so that likely leaves us with 10 additional characters to cover. That can give a rough idea of what to expect, possibly,
And the total character count for Smash Ultimate so is 75 fighters. (With the last one coming after Terry's arrival.)

Meaning the final count is 85. I don't think any other fighting game can reach that high as Smash's record breaking collection.

Also, here is where Terry stands in the poster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom