• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Verge's sources are hit or miss (even if Sabi vouches for him this time), so it's anybody's guess at this stage. Almost certain it'll be a SNK character, that website copyright can't have been a coincidence.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Verge's sources are hit or miss (even if Sabi vouches for him this time), so it's anybody's guess at this stage.
Exactly. I wont mind Terry, and his engrish would be amazing to hear in smash. I would rather have Mai or Nakoruru, or an crazy 3 tag team foght for snk in general.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Tomorrow will be a big day. Of course the SNK accidental show up is a high chance for one rep, but I will keep a small bit of salt in case its going in a different direction.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Exactly. I wont mind Terry, and his engrish would be amazing to hear in smash. I would rather have Mai or Nakoruru, or an crazy 3 tag team foght for snk in general.
I feel that as a concept, Terry is a bit too similar to the shotos we have now. Not as blatant as Ryo but the framework is still there if you look.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If we get Terry... I just don;t know what original things they could do with him. I mean he already looks like Ken put on a truckers hat, but how much differently would he fight from either of the Street Fighter reps? SNK has so many varied and interesting characters to pick from that just another kickboxer would be very disappointing to me.

Still, I'm not fully convinced it will be an SNK character (not saying it won't be, but there are a lot of weird inconsistencies on the pages for DLC that I could see it being an accidental copy from the Heroines page) BUT if it is an SNK character I just hope it's someone who is very unique from all the characters Smash already has.

If it's Terry the fighters pass will be 1.5 for four with me...

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Huh, so I now got a trophy for being on here for a year. Or at least creating a profile a year ago. Funny, that was when the inferno that was Shantae raged like Shantae's flamethrower attack, back after getting off on the heels of King K. Rool and Simon Belmont's inclusion.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Imagine the sheer confusion and shock if the SNK thing is legit a mistake and we get Shantae reveal tomorrow. on top of all her BTFOing she'd bring in general she'd obliterate this leak that prettty much EVERYONE sees as truth.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
At the end of it all, I think the absolute best way that WayForward could be described rests in the TV Tropes' YMMV page on Shantae:

...As a whole, the franchise mixes a cute art style and simple, lighthearted stories with odd bits of dark humor, many jokes that would go over a child's head, and a bevy of sexy character designs. The best comparison for the game's tone might be Betty Boop: broadly speaking, it's all-ages friendly, but there's a lot that would make you pause at giving the games to a kid to play
In that there are absolutely sexy elements in the game, but they're balanced out by the cuter elements.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Imagine the sheer confusion and shock if the SNK thing is legit a mistake and we get Shantae reveal tomorrow. on top of all her BTFOing she'd bring in general she'd obliterate this leak that prettty much EVERYONE sees as truth.
Or you know, they just swap the reveal timings to keep us on our toes.
We may see banjo news, but we will for sure get the reveal trailer for the 4th character. Will ot be who the leaks are saying or someone else.

Also i hope we get a shantae trailer...
I wonder if Studio Trigger would get called upon again for a Smash reveal, as a spiritual successor to Palutena's?

The SNK fighters I see the most potential in are Geese Howard, Kyo, Mai Shiranui, Athena, Kula Diamond, that hawk girl from SamSho and a Metal Slug character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I rather doubt that a last-minute mistake like that would happen. While some Verge sources messed up, others got us these. :ultsimon::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:

Just expect Terry and this way you won't feel disappointed. At most, it's best to see if Seven Sirens gets any sort of coverage.

At the end of it all, I think the absolute best way that WayForward could be described rests in the TV Tropes' YMMV page on Shantae:

In that there are absolutely sexy elements in the game, but they're balanced out by the cuter elements.
Which definitely helps, seeing as Shantae got past CERO's radar for spirits, when characters like Mythra and EVA got the censor stick.

The SNK fighters I see the most potential in are Geese Howard, Kyo, Mai Shiranui, Athena, Kula Diamond, that hawk girl from SamSho and a Metal Slug character.
You rock with these choices. Terry getting in can increase the chances for at least three of those.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I rather doubt that a last-minute mistake like that would happen. While some Verge sources messed up, others got us these. :ultsimon::ultisabelle::ultken::ultincineroar:

Just expect Terry and this way you won't feel disappointed. At most, it's best to see if Seven Sirens gets any sort of coverage.

Which definitely helps, seeing as Shantae got past CERO's radar for spirits, when characters like Mythra and EVA got the censor stick.

You rock with these choices. Terry getting in can increase the chances for at least three of those.
Assuming we get Terry. It wasn't too long ago he made a guest appearance in that Fighting EX Layer and Sakurai I dunno if he can use characters already guests in other fighting games which I feel is the reason we didn't get 2B, Geralt of Rivia, or Haohmaru due to being in Soul Calibur 6. That's my guess anyway. Not trying to set any fan rules,

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If you think about it, what do Terry bring to the table in Smash from Fatal Fury series?

Also, if he does get in, then this Death Battle video will become a fight to reality on who wins.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Assuming we get Terry. It wasn't too long ago he made a guest appearance in that Fighting EX Layer and Sakurai I dunno if he can use characters already guests in other fighting games which I feel is the reason we didn't get 2B, Geralt of Rivia, or Haohmaru due to being in Soul Calibur 6. That's my guess anyway. Not trying to set any fan rules,
At least it would kill the fan rule of "can't be in other fighting games if they're already in an active one". Some people called it quits on Rayman just because he's in Brawlhalla. Also, 2B still hasn't had any sort of Nintendo appearance or even a cameo, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Tomorrow is the day. It will be playing in the afternoon depending on time zone.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239

Dukefire

Smash Master
My expectations is now on shutdown.........

Won't be seeing me here for some time in order to vent after News Bomb and avoid spoilers from other people's reactions.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: JaysonBlade
high_seas_genie_by_jaysonblade-ddfe5s8.jpg

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
Terry would be underwhelming as hell.Dude is pretty much just a jacked version of Ken abilitywise.If we had to get another fighting game protagonist I'd really prefer someone like Sol Badguy.I'd even take Scorpion over someone like Terry.
I wouldn't mind Mai though.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Terry would be underwhelming as hell.Dude is pretty much just a jacked version of Ken abilitywise.If we had to get another fighting game protagonist I'd really prefer someone like Sol Badguy.I'd even take Scorpion over someone like Terry.
I wouldn't mind Mai though.
I couldn't agree more. I'm already not wild on the idea of any fighting game characters in Smash only because it's not as original putting them in Smash as it is to take a character from another kind of game.

But if they had to add another fighting game character, why make it one who looks virtually identical to a character we already have? I mean, SNK has so many unique looking and playing characters who would stand out nicely among the rest of the smash roster. Even with they went with Haohmaru (the second most boring character they could pick and also one of the most likely as the main character of his games) At least he would be something fundamentally different as we don;t have a samurai fighting style in Smash yet (I bet it would really tick off Takamaru supporters tho)

And worse off a lot fo the prominent leakers are jumping on the opinion that the last two will be Terry and Ryu. If that's the case it will save me about $14 since I will only be buying Banjo and Kazooie...

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
At this point I'd about settle for Athena being the SNK rep. If we don't get Shantae, least we'd still get a retro purple haired heroine T-T

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
At this point I'd about settle for Athena being the SNK rep. If we don't get Shantae, least we'd still get a retro purple haired heroine T-T
Athena would also shut up all the people who say Shantae is dressed too revealing to be in Smash lol

KatKit

Smash Lord
I feel that as a concept, Terry is a bit too similar to the shotos we have now. Not as blatant as Ryo but the framework is still there if you look.
No he isn't (although the Shoto archetype is common [for good reason], even in Smash, but Ryu is nothing like Mario, e.g.). Terry has more signature special moves to pull from than the Shotos, they hit from different angles, and even his command inputs are noticeably different. His gimmick is probably going to involve a super meter. Terry's fighting style has a lot of leaps, shoulder bashes, and dashes. He's well-rounded, but his powerful special moves tend to be risky and have noticeable endlag. He's a street brawler (with a little kung fu thrown in). Terry has more in common with Captain Falcon (who's moveset probably was partially inspired by Terry), but overall there's no character like him in Smash.

Nationality and hair color aside, I don't even get the visual comparisons with Ken. They're dressed nothing alike lol.

Anyway, if we ended up getting an SNK character in the pass, whoever we get will be fun. Tekken, DoA, Soul Calibur, and FExL fans celebrate when they got SNK reps. And now it might take its rightful place on the Smash roster (heck, some of Sakurai's inspiration/design philosophy for Smash can be attributed to KoF), and there are people who are still disappointed. Look, I want Shantae (and various other characters) and I still think she has a legitimate shot one day, but in the meantime, I'll congratulate SNK fans. Terry or whoever they may get will be fun. A lot of love has been put into the two DLC characters available now, and the trend won't stop with the remaining, regardless of who they are.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
He's a street brawler (with a little kung fu thrown in)

Nationality and hair color aside, I don't even get the visual comparisons with Ken. They're dressed nothing alike lol.
I think it mostly boils down to aesthetics. Their punches might be different, but they are still punching. Their clothes may be different (tho both red themed) but they are still just regular real world clothes. They may have very different personalities, but surface value they are both muscular blonde men with blue eyes and overly large hands and feet. Hell their special moves are both fire based.

I think the main problem with Terry is that tho different from Ken, he isn't different enough when you consider all the SNK characters we could get who don't have any passing similarities to any of the characters in the current roster.

Look at Mai. A brunette woman (which we don't have in smash) a female third party (only one of those) a fan fighter (none of those)

Or Nakoruru. Yes, we already have a few women with swords, and we already have two characters who have a bird partner. But her being both of those at least means that no one character can do the things she can.

Or dare I dream, Cham Cham who would be a hyperactive cat girl with claw slashes, pounces, a body sized boomerang and a chimp sidekick (plus smash is currently stacked with too many dog compared to cats 5/2)

The point being, he may not be exactly like Ken, but there are so many other characters that wouldn't be anything like any of the current roster, which is why people would find Terry underwhelming. It's the same reason I was bummed at Ken's announcement because there were so many other SF characters that would have added so much more variety, that was lessened by him being an echo, but if Terry is added that's as a $6 premium, which is much harder to be happy with.

And I mean, if you cut Terry's ponytail and trimmed Ken's eyebrows... Dudes could pull a Prince and the Pauper on us and none of us would know. Capcom and SNK even acknowledged how similar they are by giving them a rivalry in the games where they crossed over with eachother.

Top Bottom