• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, with the recent confirmation that the first boss is indeed one of the titular Seven Sirens, who's willing to bet there might be a mermaid-esque one as one of the remaining 6?

Dukefire

Smash Master
If the seven sirens are like that, then here are the elements:
Nature: Water Lily
Fire
Water: Mermaid?
Earth
Air
Light
Dark

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, with the recent confirmation that the first boss is indeed one of the titular Seven Sirens, who's willing to bet there might be a mermaid-esque one as one of the remaining 6?
The chances of one of them being Giga Mermaid or one related to her are extremely high. If it's the latter I could see them pulling something where the siren feigns defeat for a second, tries to pull a surprise attack only for Giga to appear out of nowhere to crush/zap/tail slap her.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see a mermaid-inspired siren after Giga Mermaid's huge (although questionable lol) popularity. Maybe it'll even be her returning, reusing assets and such.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see a mermaid-inspired siren after Giga Mermaid's huge (although questionable lol) popularity. Maybe it'll even be her returning, reusing assets and such.
That'll depend on the true nature of the Sirens. As we know that Giga Mermaid and her subjects can be friendly towards humans, if the Sirens were good initially before being turned to evil then fighting Giga again is definitely possible (although they probably would have to make at least some assets for her since she likely isn't held captive this time), and if not then it'll probably be some other mermaid that she is not on good terms with.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I was saying for me personally. I'm not a fan of either franchise and there is nothing about either of them that I really find interesting. For me, the most interesting thing about Ryu is his headdress and Doom Guy... Just a generic dude in a mech suit... Not to mention my personal pension against guns.

At least with FE they could finally represent the games better by picking someone who uses a different weapon and when it comes to pokemon... There are near endless possibilities for characters that play incredibly uniquely...

I dunno, it's just if the fighter pass is just four human males and with a cartoon Bear who keeps a bird in his backpack... It jut seems like a wasted chance to add some really unique characters who all bring something truly different to the roster.

I mean when you look at characters they would be passing up: A possessed puppet, a snake haired goddess, a chimp who flies with her hair, a skateboarding caveman, a green electric beast-man, ANY character from Zelda that doesn't have a triforce, virtually ANY animal/element combination you could imagine with pokemon... ANY FEMALE character...

I'm just saying that from my opinion with my personal tastes, the fighter pass is a little bland with one stand out exception and finishing it with "faceless guy with sword" and "faceless guy in robot suit" would just be terribly anticlimactic and would make me pine for the days of the Wii U DLC.
I hope Sakurai gives a little bit for everyone. I liked joker after the fact, but he wasn't on my wishlist. Just once I wanna get really hype, but I digress.

For every batch of characters we have at least some women added to the roster.
Super smash bros 64
:ultsamus::ultjigglypuff:
Melee
:zeldamelee:+:sheikmelee: :peachmelee:

Brawl
:zerosuitsamus:

Smash Wii U / 3ds
:4palutena::rosalina::4robinf::4lucina::4miif::4villagerf::4wiifit::4wendy:

DLC Wii U / 3ds
:4bayonetta2::4corrinf:

Ultimate
:ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultpokemontrainerf:

DLC Ultimate

Edit: I don't count ice climbers, banjo and kazooie, (half characters) and most pokemon (since it's usually barely noticeable or ambiguous).

The leaks about doom guy and Hayabusa I wont bother with since at this point I consider only Vergeben to be a credible leaker. His stance on it was in the air as opposed to the doubling down that prefaced his accurate predictions.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>my face when when my vacation just started yesterday, but there probably won't be a Direct this week: :scared:

Seriously, I'm not concerned at all about who is, isn't or has never been coming, I just want to find out about an incoming Direct at this point so that I won't feel like I'll have wasted my time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here's a list of the LRG cards: https://imgur.com/a/qDHKtYP#ruIDFzB

The "zombie half-genie" is called Zombie? with an explicit question mark. It could still be Rotty... maybe possessed? Don't think I've forgotten you trolling us about the identities of the seven sirens, Wayforward...

Also what is up with Harmony's outfit, it has only a vertical strap on one side.

Bonus: something wholesome from Gmod:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shantae/comments/cy5pbt/seems_like_shantae_made_a_new_friend_a_rather/

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
To me, Directs usually happen every two to three months after the last one and it gets announced on the second week. Though, it can change depending on conditions.

Also, is people still forgetting that Kazooie is another female added with Banjo as a duo fighter?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
>my face when when my vacation just started yesterday, but there probably won't be a Direct this week: :scared:

Seriously, I'm not concerned at all about who is, isn't or has never been coming, I just want to find out about an incoming Direct at this point so that I won't feel like I'll have wasted my time.
Well, I don't know if you are a Pokemon fan, but the current rumors there say we will get some pokemon news on the 6th. So maybe that can help tied you over.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hate to bring up a leak but everyone remember that Milk Botsu leak? The one that said they saw a untextured 3d model of a character, it was female, looks like a fighter and had a throwing weapon looks like a boomerang?

Well uhhh Shantae in this demo had a double boomerang relic.

Just saying...
I don't have the source to back it up, but that leaker awhile back came out on Twitter and said he was just joking.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So its either samurai show down, metal slug, or king of fighters. King of fighters seems like the most likely rep, as it is on of the big classic fightong games and what snk is k own for.

I am hoping its Mai, and that keeps with that one milky leak about a female fighter with a projectile, but could she be too sexy for smash?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Nintendo Goofed.

the 4th character is from an SNK Property.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/DLC/Challenger-Pack-4-1519368.html
Wow, I mean that could be a a typo, but it's not likely. Well if it's SNK we are almost certain to get a female character. Perhaps Athena (in one her her outfits that is more than a bikini, of course)? Mai is probably their most popular, tho she would need to be toned down quite a bit... Heck it could be that Godzilla knockoff from King of Monsters for all we know. It would be pretty cool if it was from King of Monsters just so the home stage could be a tiny City where Mario and Pikachu could rampage through.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Wow, I mean that could be a a typo, but it's not likely. Well if it's SNK we are almost certain to get a female character. Perhaps Athena (in one her her outfits that is more than a bikini, of course)? Mai is probably their most popular, tho she would need to be toned down quite a bit... Heck it could be that Godzilla knockoff from King of Monsters for all we know. It would be pretty cool if it was from King of Monsters just so the home stage could be a tiny City where Mario and Pikachu could rampage through.
If you ask me, all of the hints point towards Nakoruru.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmmm if nintendo doesnt mind Mais sexiness, then its her. I dont know of she is too sexy for this game though, but she is the face of SNK. She also has a projectile woth her fan throw which fits that old leak

Terry is the main character of the seroes though, and if its not Mai, its her.

A metal slug character would be hilariously unexpected and really bring something new to the game though.

That girl from Samurao showdown could work as well, a unique ninja girl with a falcon to assist.

Last athena was SNKs original mascot, so it could be her.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm almost certain it has to be from Metal Slug. I should point out that most of its main characters are female, and they all shoot projectiles, so it's likely that source guy saw a possible alt.
Only Problem with that is that if it's SNK's only character, it got to be someone that can be considered as a Mascot for the whole company. Metal Slug is a great series, but it's not SNK's bread and butter, that would be fighting games.

So a King of Fighters or Samurai Shodown character seems most likely. I mean, that one leak may still mean nothing. One thing I worry about is how Sakurai generally stands that a "main" character always has priority. This could mean the character would either be Terry or Haohmaru (both of which would be rather boring choices for me)

I mean if it were up to me we would get Cham Cham so we could whack everyone with a giant boomerang. But I know that won't happen.

It's also worth noting that the Latest Samurai Showdown is coming to Switch late fall/early winter. With that in Mind I would say a SamSho characters becomes more likely than a KoF

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Only Problem with that is that if it's SNK's only character, it got to be someone that can be considered as a Mascot for the whole company. Metal Slug is a great series, but it's not SNK's bread and butter, that would be fighting games.

So a King of Fighters or Samurai Shodown character seems most likely. I mean, that one leak may still mean nothing. One thing I worry about is how Sakurai generally stands that a "main" character always has priority. This could mean the character would either be Terry or Haohmaru (both of which would be rather boring choices for me)

I mean if it were up to me we would get Cham Cham so we could whack everyone with a giant boomerang. But I know that won't happen.

It's also worth noting that the Latest Samurai Showdown is coming to Switch late fall/early winter. With that in Mind I would say a SamSho characters becomes more likely than a KoF
Can one make the argument that Mai is just as much a main character as Terry is now? She is almost the face of the series, and has appeared in more crossover games then him just barely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Still waiting for the Shantae artbook, Udon.

Imagine if its not a SNK company character, but something else
In before Million Arthur is the next SE character. :4pacman: Yeah, I still don't understand how that decision made any sense.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I wish WayForward's name was on the Nintendo site instead of SNK. Shantae, Geno, Capcom rep you name it. They would all be better to me.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Can one make the argument that Mai is just as much a main character as Terry is now? She is almost the face of the series, and has appeared in more crossover games then him just barely.
YOu could make that argument and I would certainly prefer Mai over "Ken with a hat" but Terry is still Technically the main character which seems to hold a lot of weight with Sakurai. We already have a lot of third party (and some first party) characters who are the main character of their franchise even tho said franchise has characters who are just as popular that would probably fit the aesthetic of Smash better.

So, I'm not hoping for Terry or Haohmaru, just saying it's a very present possibility. And again with Mai, I think a Samurai Shodown character would be more likely since the 4th character would probably drop around December which is when SamSho is coming to Smash.

So my bets are currently going to Longhaired Ryu with a sword or Nakoruru (tho I will buy everything Nintendo makes forever if they decide to make it Cham Cham instead, which I know won't happen particularly since she isn't in the new SamSho either)

zferolie

Smash Hero
YOu could make that argument and I would certainly prefer Mai over "Ken with a hat" but Terry is still Technically the main character which seems to hold a lot of weight with Sakurai. We already have a lot of third party (and some first party) characters who are the main character of their franchise even tho said franchise has characters who are just as popular that would probably fit the aesthetic of Smash better.

So, I'm not hoping for Terry or Haohmaru, just saying it's a very present possibility. And again with Mai, I think a Samurai Shodown character would be more likely since the 4th character would probably drop around December which is when SamSho is coming to Smash.

So my bets are currently going to Longhaired Ryu with a sword or Nakoruru (tho I will buy everything Nintendo makes forever if they decide to make it Cham Cham instead, which I know won't happen particularly since she isn't in the new SamSho either)
Very true. I just think that Milky rumor may be quite legit, as they were saying a female who may be a fighter and has a projectile weapon. Mai and Nakoruru fit that very well. With Samurai showdown coming out on the switch in december, which would be when dlc 4 comes out the same time, its likely that it could by Nakoruru.

Also... that milk leak mentioned thatbthe last fighter... is already in smash... and that helps Shantae chancea a lot

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Very true. I just think that Milky rumor may be quite legit, as they were saying a female who may be a fighter and has a projectile weapon. Mai and Nakoruru fit that very well. With Samurai showdown coming out on the switch in december, which would be when dlc 4 comes out the same time, its likely that it could by Nakoruru.

Also... that milk leak mentioned thatbthe last fighter... is already in smash... and that helps Shantae chancea a lot
What is the Milk Leak? I don't have trust in something that sounds made-up, but hopefully I'm wrong here.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see, only time will tell....

For now, let's enjoy this small info.
Screenshot_20190831-214930_YouTube.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

I mean, the MIlky leak could be Cham Cham. I mean what is more of a flying weapon than a boomerang? Plus there are so many cute possibilities, like her trying to train Diddy Kong or PKMN Trainer trying to catch her... Also the other leak said people would be upset with the character and Cham Cham isn't as popular as some of the others... I think I just shot myself in the foot with that one...

But, yeah, Nakoruru is very possible and I would much prefer her over Terry or Haohmaru. Tho Mai's popularity alone could be reason to include her even without her game on the horizon.

zferolie

Smash Hero
What is the Milk Leak? I don't have trust in something that sounds made-up, but hopefully I'm wrong here.
I need to find it again, but it was awhile ago. It said hero wouldnt have a female alt, and that they saw/heard someone saw a female render of a fighter that had a projectile, and that the last character was in the game already.

I mean, the MIlky leak could be Cham Cham. I mean what is more of a flying weapon than a boomerang? Plus there are so many cute possibilities, like her trying to train Diddy Kong or PKMN Trainer trying to catch her... Also the other leak said people would be upset with the character and Cham Cham isn't as popular as some of the others... I think I just shot myself in the foot with that one...

But, yeah, Nakoruru is very possible and I would much prefer her over Terry or Haohmaru. Tho Mai's popularity alone could be reason to include her even without her game on the horizon.
I think that not popular rumor was debunked by verge, but yeah, i would like cham cham. Nakoruru would be fun with the cast too, and Mai could be fun to see interacting with people as well.

Watch it be Athena or a metal slug girl haha

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I need to find it again, but it was awhile ago. It said hero wouldnt have a female alt, and that they saw/heard someone saw a female render of a fighter that had a projectile, and that the last character was in the game already.

I think that not popular rumor was debunked by verge, but yeah, i would like cham cham. Nakoruru would be fun with the cast too, and Mai could be fun to see interacting with people as well.

Watch it be Athena or a metal slug girl haha
Technically the leak said they had "a flying weapon" so things like fire balls or other attacks that would count as projectiles don't exactly fit as well as a fan/boomerang/what have you.

And I would be fine with Athena or Fio/Eri. Athena certainly has a feather in her cap for being the Mascot of the company even if they haven't done much with her since then.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Technically the leak said they had "a flying weapon" so things like fire balls or other attacks that would count as projectiles don't exactly fit as well as a fan/boomerang/what have you.

And I would be fine with Athena or Fio/Eri. Athena certainly has a feather in her cap for being the Mascot of the company even if they haven't done much with her since then.
I always thought flying weapon was a translation issue. Still, that puts a point in Nakoruru.

Athena would be an out of left field choice, but could work well

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I always thought flying weapon was a translation issue. Still, that puts a point in Nakoruru.

Athena would be an out of left field choice, but could work well
I don't know if a Falcon can be considered a weapon, but like you said it could all be a translation issue. And as out of left feild as Athena would be, Sakurai is quite prone to those kinds of moves.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't know if a Falcon can be considered a weapon, but like you said it could all be a translation issue. And as out of left feild as Athena would be, Sakurai is quite prone to those kinds of moves.
I mean we got Parahna plant so anything is possible

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I mean we got Parahna plant so anything is possible
Pretty much exactly what I meant when I made that comment. Sakurai likes out their surprises and retro references and Athena would be both of those.

Possible big news guys! Turns out that leak COULD, i repeat COULD, have been a mix up of information for another page. As it turns out the fourth DLC character for SNK Heroines is due out soon and it's possible that the trademark was supposed to go to the page for that fourth DLC character page and not the fourth DLC character page for Smash.

Again, there is no real certainty to this claim, just suspicion brought on by the amazing coincidence of both fighting games having their fourth DLC character released around the same time. SO it could be a coincidence and both are happening, or it could be a mistake made because of how similar both situations are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom