• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah guys dont expect any smash announcements. If it happens hreat, but best to juat go in expecting good indie games.

I think shantae may appear there. Makes sense that she would. Great place to show off her first trailer for the game. We may get that other wayforward game too.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Most of the time, Shantae and the rest of WF games had their announcements by WF alone. So, I doubt that the Indie direct would show it.

Also, if they did want to show their announcements on a direct, I think it would go for a general direct.
That's just my thoughts.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even expecting Shantae's actual game to show up at the Nindies is a bit much, seeing as WF clearly aren't treated like other indies at this point. WF does what they want.

At least Nindies have learned to cap things off with a game that people actually get excited for, rather than a small cult hit that a few dozen people know of.

Well, on twitter they already spelled out Risky, Rotty and Skye are are part of the Sirens, so I imagine it's something that we either find out early or is heavily implied.

Also, has Joker been in more than one game?
For Joker, he only has one. The persona series has a history with Nintendo.

Though the icing on the cake was the hub for Smash Ultimate was inspired by Persona 5.
Fair enough.

Technically, he's shown up on Persona Q2, and there is that Persona 5 dancing spin-off. Though it's a moot point anyway, seeing as Phantom Strikers is Switch-bound. Also, it's never been confirmed that the menu was influenced by P5, so for all we know it might be incidental.

While the flame is burning strong, just a reminder that the future is still uncertain. So, anything still goes until a certain event happens.
All of us know that by now, we aren't new.

But yeah, even if a Shantae reveal were to happen, I don't really think it'd necessarily be at a big event. Could even be a random shadow drop.

After Holly which turns out to be a memory as a rival, yeah I can see the red hair Half-Genie butting heads due to exact same hair style and clothing. This is going to be one heck of a vacation once the game shows a Actual preview.
It still amuses me that the possible response for the concerns of Holly being underutilised in the end is "here, have 4 half-genies!".

It has only been two days since the title announcement... This is gonna take 5ever.
I think we'll know more details after they're done releasing RCG in a little over a couple weeks, they should be more freed up afterwards.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Warned for trolling
Well she doesn’t transform into an animal in Smash...
Plus, many players still hate her. I despise Bayonetta. And the reason I do, she stole Banjo's spot last game! But now, he's coming home, and Gayonetta can go die in a ditch!

Well she doesn’t transform into an animal in Smash...
Plus, many players still hate her. I despise Bayonetta. And want to know why?

-_- I hate this tablet...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Is this that ridiculous notion of "If a Smash reveal happens everyone will forget about the rest of the announcements" again?
Well, usually. But, anything can still happen.

Though I wouldn't say the smash effect is bad, its just that presentation is more focused on indie rather then the bigger titles.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Thinking abouth the possibility of that red-haired half-genie being a rival, what if she had transformation abilities like Shantae, but vehicle/mech themed instead of animals?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Thinking abouth the possibility of that red-haired half-genie being a rival, what if she had transformation abilities like Shantae, but vehicle/mech themed instead of animals?
I looked back on your previous post to see why you think should transform into vehicles/mechs, and while that would be cool, perhaps she just lives somewhere really hot? She could still have a theme around fire though, which would certainly lead to a dragon transformation. Considering water seems to be so prominent in this game, it would be fitting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I looked back on your previous post to see why you think should transform into vehicles/mechs, and while that would be cool, perhaps she just lives somewhere really hot? She could still have a theme around fire though, which would certainly lead to a dragon transformation. Considering water seems to be so prominent in this game, it would be fitting.
Take a closer look at the game screenshots and you'll notice suspicious amounts of technology for a tropical island, in a setting where such things are usually held in monopoly by Ammo and Techno Baron. The plant boss is on a screw-based platform in a room with ceiling lamps no doubt intended to give it a power/health boost, the metal structures on the beach that seem way too expansive for Risky to have built in such a time frame or without resistance, and that underwater glass tube with Newt Shantae. If there is a fire themed town and dungeon and the red-haired half-genie is it's guardian, chances are she'd still need some kind of skill in metalworking to maintain it. Her expressions and mannerisms so far strike me as contrasting Shantae in a lot of ways: cool (ironically), collected and confident (perhaps to the point of cockiness), as opposed to Shantae being warm and loving, but also somewhat unsure of herself.

We'll see what happens once Super Shantae Sunshine comes out. But, now that it's known... would it be possible that potential Smash Shantae DLC content will end up specifically themed around this game, like with Dragon Quest XI?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Incidentally, she does remind me a bit of Yoko Littner. A fan art clothing swap of the two was posted here some time ago, I believe.

We'll see what happens once Super Shantae Sunshine comes out. But, now that it's known... would it be possible that potential Smash Shantae DLC content will end up specifically themed around this game, like with Dragon Quest XI?
If true, that'd be some next-level secrecy. As in, showing so little of SSS that WF would fear of inadvertently leaking something related to Smash.

In any case, it could be likely. Mayhaps a stage set in front of the island, with Risky occasionally trying to shanghai things with the Tinker Tub.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Incidentally, she does remind me a bit of Yoko Littner. A fan art clothing swap of the two was posted here some time ago, I believe.

If true, that'd be some next-level secrecy. As in, showing so little of SSS that WF would fear of inadvertently leaking something related to Smash.

In any case, it could be likely. Mayhaps a stage set in front of the island, with Risky occasionally trying to shanghai things with the Tinker Tub.
Now, now, I'm sure Scuttle Town will still make an appearance, if only as the opening tutorial area while being attacked by Risky as usual... unless all that opening cutscene actually happens, implying that this is such a routine by this point that they're not even going to dedicate gameplay to it anymore. And then Scuttlebutt will probably fire Shantae again to give her and her friends an excuse to travel to that island. Is it too much to expect this trip being part of of vacation package for the guardian gig? Probably.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now, now, I'm sure Scuttle Town will still make an appearance, if only as the opening tutorial area while being attacked by Risky as usual... unless all that opening cutscene actually happens, implying that this is such a routine by this point that they're not even going to dedicate gameplay to it anymore. And then Scuttlebutt will probably fire Shantae again to give her and her friends an excuse to travel to that island. Is it too much to expect this trip being part of of vacation package for the guardian gig? Probably.
Maybe, though they don't exactly get to actually rest either way. I do wonder what would even keep Scuttle Town from not being attacked this time, the Four Barons incidentally showing up on this new island seems like the best way to avoid that.

On a side note, Sigma Star Saga finally got acknowledged on their Twitter.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Even if they are on Vacation, Heroes truly never get a break since their is always something that happens somewhere.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Maybe, though they don't exactly get to actually rest either way. I do wonder what would even keep Scuttle Town from not being attacked this time, the Four Barons incidentally showing up on this new island seems like the best way to avoid that.

On a side note, Sigma Star Saga finally got acknowledged on their Twitter.
Squid Baron and Techno Baron have never attacked Scuttle Town. The former just does what he pleases, which is mainly get involved in boss fights regardless of pretext, and Techno Baron's main goal is just becoming really rich, primarily via (shady) business. Conquering anything seems secondary to making money for him.

So it's really just Risky, Ammo Baron and possibly Hypno Baron (I have a feeling they'll just keep him in a perpetual limbo of evilness to keep us wondering if he's the real deal or just full of hot air) who have expressed an interest in attacking Scuttle Town.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Big news! Shantae and the 7 sirens will be playable at pax! 8f i missed domeone postimg this my bad

Witj this i am pretty sure we will see a trailer in nindie world

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Big news! Shantae and the 7 sirens will be playable at pax! 8f i missed domeone postimg this my bad

Witj this i am pretty sure we will see a trailer in nindie world
This is technically the first post about this announcement from Wayforward; it's just they were the ones to get :ultgreninja:'d by Limited Run Games.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I know Squid Baron, Ammo Baron, and Hypno Baron were somewhat kind of like guardians guarding or protecting the 3 seals in Risky's Revenge even though it didn't seem they had any relation to each other.

I wonder why Squid, Ammo, Hypno, and Techno all have the last same name? Are they half brothers? Are they all part of a cult or club together? Why do they all have the name Baron? WayForward must have a reason for naming them all Baron. I think we might get the answer someday in a future Shantae game as to why all their last names are Baron.

Plus, many players still hate her. I despise Bayonetta. And the reason I do, she stole Banjo's spot last game! But now, he's coming home, and Gayonetta can go die in a ditch!

Plus, many players still hate her. I despise Bayonetta. And want to know why?

-_- I hate this tablet...
Did you really just come here to somewhat compare Shantae to Bayonetta only to continue trash talking about Bayonetta? That's some ridiculous **** bruh.

Last edited:

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
A Baron is a title for a person from another country of high rank and/or nobel status, it can also be a person with lots of power or influence in a specific industry (if I understand it correctly). I don't know where this would place Squid Baron (maybe he has a lot of influence on the calamari industry... idk), but it seems to fit the rest pretty wel I think.

On a different note: I'm quietly hoping for Twitch and Vinegar to be Sirens... Or anything else that'll give them more background.
Maybe we'll get a trailer with a little bit more info on what to expect from the story. Wishfull thinking.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I thought it was obvious to me that "Baron" is a title, rather than a last name. As in, they are rulers of Sequin Land, of a sort.
But the thing is though, you never see them all together unless you count that one time near the end of Half-Genie Hero when they are all in Scuttle Town kind of cheering for you to kick Risky's *** because of her stealing some of their goods so she could create Tinkerbrain.

We have never seen them all work together in any part of the series unless you somewhat count that.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Will expect to be more fourth wall humor with either Squid Baron or Shantae having the biggest chunk for the joke.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Doesn't look like the series is ending any time soon, so there's plenty of time to do something for Twitch and Vinegar. Or at least figure it out.

Will expect to be more fourth wall humor with either Squid Baron or Shantae having the biggest chunk for the joke.
Wonder if Squid will try to butt in shortly before the final boss fight happens.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Wonder if Squid will try to butt in shortly before the final boss fight happens.
Last time we remember, he managed to reach fifth boss status with tag teaming Hypno Baron. Though, it would be ironic if he thought he reached Final Boss Status, only to see who is the bigger threat on the new unknown island (name will come when WF is ready).

I wonder, would someone use the Seven Sirens as a powerful battery to power a machine? Just like a Familiar Doctor would use it to crush a certain blue rat.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Last time we remember, he managed to reach fifth boss status with tag teaming Hypno Baron. Though, it would be ironic if he thought he reached Final Boss Status, only to see who is the bigger threat on the new unknown island (name will come when WF is ready).

I wonder, would someone use the Seven Sirens as a powerful battery to power a machine? Just like a Familiar Doctor would use it to crush a certain blue rat.
What if instead of just the tag team of Squid and Hypno, what if all the Barons teamed up together? That would be one hell of a boss fight.

Dukefire

Smash Master
What if instead of just the tag team of Squid and Hypno, what if all the Barons teamed up together? That would be one hell of a boss fight.
Mechanical profession with an Army, specialized in Magic, and One that can break the fourth wall with new moves in every returning appearence. Yeah, that sounds like one hell of a fight players will face with Shantae.

Maybe she might even the odds with her tag team of her friends and other Half Genies.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That would be utterly fantastic. That kind of thing needs to happen at least once in this series.
Too bad Techno Baron's weak enough to be one-shotted by a hair-whip consistently. I doubt he's even capable of piloting anything he might build well (that's Ammo Baron's job after all). Not to mention Hypno Baron probably doesn't want to work with Squid Baron any more than he has to, in general Squid Baron's huge ego makes him a poor team player.

A Baron is a title for a person from another country of high rank and/or nobel status, it can also be a person with lots of power or influence in a specific industry (if I understand it correctly). I don't know where this would place Squid Baron (maybe he has a lot of influence on the calamari industry... idk), but it seems to fit the rest pretty wel I think.

On a different note: I'm quietly hoping for Twitch and Vinegar to be Sirens... Or anything else that'll give them more background.
Maybe we'll get a trailer with a little bit more info on what to expect from the story. Wishfull thinking.
I think he used to be a Warp Squid, before losing a trinket that let him, well, warp things. He's certainly more battle-ready than the rest. Plus, he's probably the best source of Squid Oil in Sequin Land.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Also, tomorrow is Indie World. So, prepare for a lot of Indie games coming this way with their dates and/or concepts to offer.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Whatever happens, if Shantae or a long requested character people are wanting appears as the next challenger for the Fighters Pass #4 and soon #5. This is music is going to play. Though, another Fighters Pass announced will put people into overdrive as they have a second chance.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think Silksong may get some screentime.

Also, Matt replyed to my Tweet asking how many games they have had a hand in, and he says over 300 as of now.

If any Independant studio has earned a right into smash its Wayforward.

Top Bottom