• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Given WF history, they have been making a lot before becoming more known as a company.

Also, while I don't except some of WF games make an appearence at Indie World, PAX West 2019 will tell.
EB8_KOrXYAM_n2v.jpeg

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
A hoi hoi again. It's been too long since I've been on here.

It feels weird coming back here after the aftermath that was the November 2nd Direct. The product of toxicity and overwhelming pressure building up was what made me get out of dodge within the few months after that entire thing. But here we are again.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

It feels weird coming back here after the aftermath that was the November 2nd Direct. The product of toxicity and overwhelming pressure building up was what made me get out of dodge within the few months after that entire thing. But here we are again.
Well, I'm sorry things got too ugly for you. No one deserves to be chased away from the things they love. Anyway, it's nice to have you back!

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Did anyone find out if Shantae would have a physical release?
There has been no word, but I'm betting it will be released physically with Limited Run Games. Considering the will have booths right next to each other and the LMG booth will be selling Mighty Switch Force and Shantae 5 merch I think it's safe to assume both will be joining the Limited Run lineup

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Indie World starts in 3 minutes guys.

It's great to have you back SoupCanMafia SoupCanMafia .

Edit: Here we go guys!

Edit: Well... We got no gameplay footage or any news about Seven Sirens so I wasn't surprised by that.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Lots of good indie titles shown. Not a single wayforward thing vut i guess they never have shown something in these directs before

Dukefire

Smash Master
WF would save it for something they have already set their course for in the first place. Showing it now would ruin the surprise for PAX West 2019

Edit: Ori and the Blind Forest seems to be a great game to play, though I have not play the series before.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>no Seven Sirens
Called it. I didn't expect much out of this Nindies and I was still disappointed. The stuff that interests me the most (SkellBoy, Blasphemous, Eastward) was already shown elsewhere. Touryst seems neat, I suppose, and Ori had already been leaked before this whole presentation happened.

Honestly, the Nindies we had earlier this year was gonna be hard to live up to.

I guess it's just a testament of how much Wayforward has grown that they can market their own games with only minimal assistance from others. In that sense they're truly independent.

They're not the only one to skip this for an announcement today though: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...icially_coming_to_switch_with_a_new_character
>Adam's got a kid now
Noice.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Aside from the Shantae 5 stuff (which I've seen via Twitter), has there really been anything else going on in the speculative scene? Or are we basically just like a sitting duck at the moment?
Pretty much nothing outside of the Starling, which probably will be related to a first-party that isn't Smash. All we can do at this point is wait until something happens next month.

Edit: Also, has anyone noticed how IW went out of their way not to show any content that would be seen as offensive at all? The finger shmup censorship is one thing, but Hotline Miami didn't show off any shooter segments, and Blasphemous was just briefly shown in a montage.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Edit: Also, has anyone noticed how IW went out of their way not to show any content that would be seen as offensive at all? The finger shmup censorship is one thing, but Hotline Miami didn't show off any shooter segments, and Blasphemous was just briefly shown in a montage.
Huh, it's weird, yet not so weird. Nintendo is still fairly kid-friendly in its reputation, even with the M-Rated games that do show up. Though I think the bigger reason was because unlike games like Resident Evil or other, larger games, Indies are far less likely to play games with the more risque content. Thus while RE can have its own segment during E3, HLM gets not much in the visual department.

Only real thing I noted was that it was possible that Sakurai and team, when they did add in the Shantae spirits, did so using the Japanese, physical release dates for Pirate's Curse and HGH instead of the original American release date, thus why her series was at the bottom of the Spirits list. It wasn't out of malice, but rather out of someone dropping the ball when it came to getting Spirits together. It could be pretty nice if the team did update their position and place them in the end GBC range where they belong.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Not to change the subject, but:
----
Still wondering if they'll let anyone record gameplay of Shantae 5 at PAX or not.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Only real thing I noted was that it was possible that Sakurai and team, when they did add in the Shantae spirits, did so using the Japanese, physical release dates for Pirate's Curse and HGH instead of the original American release date, thus why her series was at the bottom of the Spirits list. It wasn't out of malice, but rather out of someone dropping the ball when it came to getting Spirits together. It could be pretty nice if the team did update their position and place them in the end GBC range where they belong.
To be fair, that's the tip of the iceberg in regards to mess-ups that the spirit team did (I mean...someone found a slightly altered sprite for Masked Man online, for one). And I doubt that flub will be fixed either, considering how spirit updates seem to be on lower priority in regards to what the big updates bring.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Still wondering if they'll let anyone record gameplay of Shantae 5 at PAX or not.
Here's how I see it, personally. I think that the gameplay that will be present at LRG is going to be similar to Pirate's Curse and its demo. In that it'll be a Dungeon where Sky, Rotty, or Bolo will replace the Save Guy and the entrance to the Boss Chamber will be sealed up. Then possibly a Boss, most likely either Risky Boots in a Tinkerdevice or the Plant Girl. Though capturing footage would be more at the discretion of either LRG or WF.

To be fair, that's the tip of the iceberg in regards to mess-ups that the spirit team did (I mean...someone found a slightly altered sprite for Masked Man online, for one). And I doubt that flub will be fixed either, considering how spirit updates seem to be on lower priority in regards to what the big updates bring.
Oh right, I forgot about the Masked Man sprite kerfuffle. And yeah, it's unlikely to truly be fixed, though in all fairness, their mess-ups are small fries compared to what's happening to the Pokemon series right now. And the main game itself is competent enough that for most of these discrepancies, we're willing to overlook them because the content itself is built tough and solid.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Huh, it's weird, yet not so weird. Nintendo is still fairly kid-friendly in its reputation, even with the M-Rated games that do show up. Though I think the bigger reason was because unlike games like Resident Evil or other, larger games, Indies are far less likely to play games with the more risque content. Thus while RE can have its own segment during E3, HLM gets not much in the visual department.

range? theres rhyme anjd reason to how the spirits are ordered?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
range? theres rhyme anjd reason to how the spirits are ordered?
That's what I've read up on the Smash Wiki. Apparently, third-party or smaller first party titles are supposedly arranged based on console and time of their releases. At least that was before the newer non-DLC spirits came in and mucked it all up by releasing based on the event they've debuted.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Next Round is here. Let's us all go and support our favorite Half Genie(since she no longer is the one and only Half Genie).

#ShantaeForSmashDLC

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Smash Ultimate’s rating is back to Teen ever since Hero’s demo. Shantae could be applied here as well.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Next Round is here. Let's us all go and support our favorite Half Genie(since she no longer is the one and only Half Genie).

T7_EaGrlnwU

#ShantaeForSmashDLC
There sure is a lot of people voting for Scorpion in the comments section. This might be our girl's toughest fight in this tournament.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Some of the grudge left upon us by more overzealous people has painted us in a bad light, though even that, fundamentally, wasn't the ultimate reason why we're fighting an uphill battle when it comes to being recognized as fans.
Unless that whole thing about Shantae being 16 was confirmed to being fake and drawn up by an intern behind WF's back publically, that's still prime ammunition that will be used against us. Thankfully, in spite of all the art drawn of Shantae on Custom Stages and the frequency it appears on the Most Popular tab, people like Vinny from Vinesauce doesn't denounce Shantae as a whole, and it'll mainly be reasonable people like him who can help us of this mucky situation.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if we don't see Shantae playable in Smash, I'm grateful she and Risky were acknowledged at the very least. That, and Shantae and the Seven Sirens looks very promising. I'm going to guess we may potentially get a rough release date window for it in the likely September general Direct.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even if we don't see Shantae playable in Smash, I'm grateful she and Risky were acknowledged at the very least. That, and Shantae and the Seven Sirens looks very promising. I'm going to guess we may potentially get a rough release date window for it in the likely September general Direct.
And they didn't even get censored spirits! It speaks a lot when some third-parties have characters whose looks they think shouldn't be altered, CERO be damned.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
And they didn't even get censored spirits! It speaks a lot when some third-parties have characters whose looks they think shouldn't be altered, CERO be damned.
In all fairness to the both of them, they are significantly more cartoony, but it does speak how, against what we'd think would happen with Nintendo games, they got underneath CERO as well as Nintendo and came out unscathed.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Whatever it is, PAX West 2019 will give gameplay footage and possibly the release date for Shantae and the Seven Sirens. If not for Release Date, then a Nintendo Direct in September is possible with Banjo Kazooie arriving shortly.

Again, some people are holding leverage for mud slinging at Shantae to say she can't be in Smash Bros. Let's see in the near future if what is true or not.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
did we ever find out what that "impossible" dream Cristina tweeted about was?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
did we ever find out what that "impossible" dream Cristina tweeted about was?
Maybe VAing in a River City game?

Otherwise, I can't see what it could be except a Hollywood deal.

Oh and by the way the game will apparently only have English voice acting everywhere, not just here. I haven't seen this kind of thing happen since God Hand, were they not able to afford any seiyuus?

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It has significant anime influence, so I wouldn't necessarily say that it's too "blow you out of the water" type of role. Perhaps it could have been her role as voice director in the Indivisible game?
But she's been a Voice Director before in other stuff.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Haters will sling mud at whoever gets talked about the most regardless, you can't help that. Even Layton of all people is getting this treatment now, apparently.

Alpha Stoutland Alpha Stoutland says to go vote for our gal in Slacker's tournament guys. ;)

I don't remember where I heard this, but it's a good quote: "The more people that hate a character, the more likely they become." Which is true because a lot of people were against Ridley getting in for years because they thought he was "Too big".

Last edited:
Top Bottom