• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Too Big
Impossible
Only in the West
Etc......

Yeah, ones that are hated and loved. Can actually help more then hurt for what haters are trying to achieve.

Though the effect could be the opposite for other characters that people can agree on just can't make the cut to Enter Smash's Roster.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't remember where I heard this, but it's a good quote: "The more people that hate a character, the more likely they become." Which is true because a lot of people were against Ridley getting in for years because they thought he was "Too big".
Eeeexactly. Which is why I find it depressing when most characters with support barely are noticed at all yet. Within the realm of reason, licensed characters wouldn't be likely regardless unless we're talking Tekken, Soul or MK.

.Though the effect could be the opposite for other characters that people can agree on just can't make the cut to Enter Smash's Roster.
That's mostly because of vocal minorities, I'd think (case in point, Electrichu was thoroughly convinced that the Smash fanbase hated Goku, rather than acknowledge that he's clearly seen as a meme pick that people would find neat, but they know he wouldn't get in anyway).

As for first-party Sony characters, I don't think they're hated, it's just Sony that doesn't seem likely to allow them in after the failure of PSASBR.

On a side note, Insomniac's been bought by Sony now, so that'll make Ratchet & Clank's chances even smaller.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I can't say for certain if loud haters are a symptom of success. But I do know that every thing that has happened to Shantae in the course of Smash speculation has only seemed further galvanize the efforts of those who believe in her.

someposer

Banned via Warnings
Sweet, potentially like characters that look young but are actually ancient. And somehow be flatter than Risky, heh.
I don't think that's the case with Shantae though (since she's only half genie). I think he means that in actuality she's 16, but he's not going to give her an official, canon age, even though that's the age he writes her character as.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, even if it's joking around that's just unnecessarily confusing, isn't it? You write her like a certain age yet don't give her an age.

At that point, one wonders why the topic was even brought up at all. She's physically developed. that's enough, as far as one is concerned.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
There is always something to complain about regarding how big or small the details are depending on what they can dig up.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So...why does Shantae have an online icon and NOT Rayman, out of all the "other" characters that have online icon for Smash, Lip, Shantae, Dr. Kawashima, Diskun, and Chorus Kids she's the only third party there.

Dukefire

Smash Master
So...why does Shantae have an online icon and NOT Rayman, out of all the "other" characters that have online icon for Smash, Lip, Shantae, Dr. Kawashima, Diskun, and Chorus Kids she's the only third party there.
That I can't understand yet, but I still use her icon for the internet battles.

Though, its anyone's guess for the negotiations between companies.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shantae is the hot new third-party trophy, she got a spotlight in the World Of Light trailer, plus both she and Risky are near significant points of interest in the campaign and in especially thematically appropriate locations to boot. They tried really hard to do these characters justice with what they had.

All we can say is that Shantae has done enough for Nintendo to warrant such representation, as she is one of the faces of Nindies on the 3DS and Wii U Eshops.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, not really a surprise...

Now I'm certain the same will be happening for Seven Sirens.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Datamines are actually more reliable than normal leaks. The thing is, we don't really know what those modes are, exactly, and how many will even be kept.

I mean, I like Limited run games and who knows what kinds of goodies they could cram into a Seven Sirens Special edition. Still I was kinda hoping they would have a wide release just so more people could get them.
To be fair, Shantae hasn't really reached super-mega-mainstream popularity yet, just the level of "that IP that's pretty well-known in anime circles".

Heck, HGH didn't exactly sell too well in my neck of the woods, to the point that the Ultimate Edition wasn't carried at all.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I mean, I like Limited run games and who knows what kinds of goodies they could cram into a Seven Sirens Special edition. Still I was kinda hoping they would have a wide release just so more people could get them.
Yeah, I like Limited Run too. But when it comes to them, I'm just never usually able to get anything in time. And I don't want to have to be forced to give in to all the damn scalpers on ebay just to get it...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lucky for me I got disposable income thanks to my job. I only find it a problem in regards to getting an original copy of the first game, among other things...

Besides, digital sales matter the most in regards to our half-genie's series.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Lucky for me I got disposable income thanks to my job. I only find it a problem in regards to getting an original copy of the first game, among other things...

Besides, digital sales matter the most in regards to our half-genie's series.
I just hope they planned it out far enough in advance that people who decide to buy the physical edition don;t have too wait very long after the digital release to get it.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping this was just a snarky fan-edit, but it isn't. Hopefully they correct this mugshot error.
(No bra straps)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Of course, when preview show before Date of Release is revealed, they will fix it.

Also, damn that RCG is coming closer then what I was expecting. If I were to predict Shantae and the Seven Sirens Release Date, it could be between October to December. If not, Spring Next year give or take.

Here is a shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: gossart1323
shantae__half_genie_hero__by_gossart1323_ddenax0-pre.png

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Man... for some reason, I'm getting oddly nostalgic over the whole Ken picture from a year ago, when it dropped from 4chan and our debates over whether it was fake or real. Maybe it's just because of the amount of dissections we've tried with it, but I've felt it was funny when Ken was revealed. At least looking at the model in an actual TV it looks quite alright, but I can not get over how goofy it looked on initial appearance.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Man... for some reason, I'm getting oddly nostalgic over the whole Ken picture from a year ago, when it dropped from 4chan and our debates over whether it was fake or real. Maybe it's just because of the amount of dissections we've tried with it, but I've felt it was funny when Ken was revealed. At least looking at the model in an actual TV it looks quite alright, but I can not get over how goofy it looked on initial appearance.
Ohh, there's always something to dissect, from a lighthouse window, to half-genie designs, and a Nintendo tweet about Mario in Sunshine:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ut_mario_enjoying_sunshine_internet_goes_wild

HD remake or Isle Delfino DLC for Odyssey? Either way Shantae will be having some fun in a sun-drenched, tropical paradise of her own.

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will be seeing PAX West 2019 and River City Girls being released next Friday near the end of August.

Can't wait to see what WF has in store for their projects.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ohh, there's always something to dissect, from a lighthouse window, to half-genie designs, and a Nintendo tweet about Mario in Sunshine:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ut_mario_enjoying_sunshine_internet_goes_wild

HD remake or Isle Delfino DLC for Odyssey? Either way Shantae will be having some fun in a sun-drenched, tropical paradise of her own.
Ken's screencap was different from assuming random objects and stuff had something to do with anything; at least it was actually tangible, clear as crystal in-game footage that could easily have been photoshopped with everyone seeing it be none the wiser.

Also, someone did point out the illustration's actually from a wallpaper reward that was distributed a month ago.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ken's screencap was different from assuming random objects and stuff had something to do with anything; at least it was actually tangible, clear as crystal in-game footage that could easily have been photoshopped with everyone seeing it be none the wiser.

Also, someone did point out the illustration's actually from a wallpaper reward that was distributed a month ago.

You think all these youtubers would have mentioned that little bit. Did people really not know? Is there proof of this wallpaper?

KatKit

Smash Lord
Not much, but someone datamine data from Smash Ultimate about possible modes coming soon in the near future.

Source of the datamine

Keep in mind to take it with a grain of salt.
According to the datamine, we are getting at least one additional Smash mode.

Hot take: Coin Battle is coming back, baby. Who better to compliment the return of that mode than the Queen of Commerce herself? Someone who's basically the mascot of her respective franchise... The woman, the myth, the legend: Anna from Fire Emblem!

Edit: Oops, I mixed my support threads up. More on topic, if Shantae brought items to Smash, I think the scimitar (or pike ball and/or its super version) spell (think Megaman's leaf shield) would be cool. Either that or her directional lighting spell that also slows down your fall speed if you use it in midair.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Dukefire

Smash Master
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ollectors_edition_pre-orders_open_30th_august

You hear that? That's the sound of Japanese Kunio fans going "Why don't we get anything this nice on a regular basis?".

Meanwhile, YCG decided to do their own Direct next week. With Blackjack, and hookers.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...asting_a_special_video_presentation_next_week

With any luck, there will be a solid release date for King of Cards and Showdown announced...
And YCG direct is actually happening 2 days before PAX West 2019. It could be to show their stuff now before bigger news shows up.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So if Shantae were to have a datamine codename within the files, what you guys think it would be and what existing character do you guys think they would try to base Shantae's model around?

I'm thinking for the codename it would be "Genie" and for the character they would base Shantae's model off of would be Zelda.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So if Shantae were to have a datamine codename within the files, what you guys think it would be and what existing character do you guys think they would try to base Shantae's model around?

I'm thinking for the codename it would be "Genie" and for the character they would base Shantae's model off of would be Zelda.
Genie, dancer/dance, transform, transformer (lol)

Dukefire

Smash Master

Base model Zelda: yes since both have pointy ears
They could also borrow some model moves from Mario, Diddy, Zelda, and possibly a couple of other characters I can't think of.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Only one issue, Zelda's legs are usually covered by a dress. And as far as I know I haven't seen anyone try to have it go updraft.
Its best not to think about it too much (Also, she is one my characters I like playing). Besides, they could use another character model that is somewhat similar to Zelda's model.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

I think "Genie" would be a little on the nose. They seem to pick the names to be open ended enough that they could mean several different things.

I'd imagine "Dancer" or "Wish" or "Ponytail"... things that could mean multiple different possible characters

Top Bottom