• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So you thinking Shantae may get in on the action or something? Who would she partner with?
Not necessarily, but it'd be neat. Rotty seems like the logical one to go with. Although odds are that Bannon momentarily forgot that the Japanese marketing for the game showed off more stuff, and the boys were boldly shown off...

Another theory is the Lee brothers joining in.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I think I saw the Lee brothers as store keepers in one or two screenshots (?). Can't remember where though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I still maintain that the Hooligan Sisters would be a great fit for River City Girls, whether as a boss or playable characters (Breezy & Moody being the fighters, that's pigtails and bowl cut for the uninitiated).

Could Wayforward be so bold as to include that punchy-looking half-genie in an early-bird cameo for Seven Sirens? Her traits seem to make her a good fit for the setting...

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I still maintain that the Hooligan Sisters would be a great fit for River City Girls, whether as a boss or playable characters (Breezy & Moody being the fighters, that's pigtails and bowl cut for the uninitiated).

Could Wayforward be so bold as to include that punchy-looking half-genie in an early-bird cameo for Seven Sirens? Her traits seem to make her a good fit for the setting...
I’d also like to see human Rotty make an appearance.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
YOOOOOOO

Aside from Elma, I think KOS-MOS might fit this bill also... yes I know it’s a 4chan leak but it’s vague enough to just have a possibility of being legit...
Most likely fake. Then again there was that one leak that proved to be correct (a Wojak post with Ken, Incineroar and Piranha Plant IIRC). Again, most likely fake.

Hoping for Shantae

Edit: Found the screencap.
Most likely nothing. Might as well re-post from the KOS-MOS thread. Food for speculation.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, we've got to have a Nintendo Direct coming soon. Amazon just leaked a Nintendo licensed Switch Carrying case with the Overwatch logo on it. So an announcement for that must be close if a company has already made the case.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Leaks are popping up more frequently, so I don't know what to trust.
Screenshot_20190823-191748_YouTube.jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well it is around the time leaks should be popping up. People seem to be in agreement that its a female character. But any legit leaks involving our best girl?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well it is around the time leaks should be popping up. People seem to be in agreement that its a female character. But any legit leaks involving our best girl?
So far, no.

Even if was, not much was brought up about her. People are currently focused on 2B, Lara Croft, Tracer (some say with rumors of Overwatch coming to the switch and the symbol with Nintendo Switch Case) and possibly a few other female characters.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So far, no.

Even if was, not much was brought up about her. People are currently focused on 2B, Lara Croft, Tracer (some say with rumors of Overwatch coming to the switch and the symbol with Nintendo Switch Case) and possibly a few other female characters.
I think 2B is still just slightly too new. Plus being a square character is rought for her chances. Lara would be a nice character but again being own by square hurts her a lot. Tracer i just dont see. Overwatch for switch i see happening though.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
2B: cool character from a cool game, but from one game with no Nintendo presence... I wouldn't give her much thought (not saying she isn't good of course)

Tracer: Popular character and very cool, but from one game that seems to be kind of "flash in the pan" and who knows where it will be in a few years, and as of now, no Nintendo presence (tho that might change)

Lara Croft: She is honestly a strong contender. If one was to pick a female gaming Icon it would likely boil down to her, Chun Li or Mrs Pacman... So I could certainly see Lara being in.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think 2B is still just slightly too new. Plus being a square character is rought for her chances. Lara would be a nice character but again being own by square hurts her a lot. Tracer i just dont see. Overwatch for switch i see happening though.
I hate to be that guy, but Automata still isn't on the Switch, either.

If Ms. Pac-Man had more presence in Japan, I feel like she would’ve been an echo already.
Agreed. I'm actually surprised she was not an alternate costume in Smash 4.
I think she needs more presence period. People took Bamco characters not necessarily being a guarantee for granted to the point that they didn't realise that Bamco wouldn't be in a hurry for anyone else from their company to be added.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I think she needs more presence period. People took Bamco characters not necessarily being a guarantee for granted to the point that they didn't realise that Bamco wouldn't be in a hurry for anyone else from their company to be added.
Doesn’t help that not many people working for Bamco seem to care about her that much.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Well, we've got to have a Nintendo Direct coming soon. Amazon just leaked a Nintendo licensed Switch Carrying case with the Overwatch logo on it. So an announcement for that must be close if a company has already made the case.
I don't think that Overwatch would really get a playable rep in Smash. I'm cursing myself saying this, but the series doesn't hold as much weight as many FPS' in the past or even the present. In 2016: Absolutely, but in 2019, it's small like a candle flame. That being said, I think that Overwatch will play a significant part in the September Nintendo Direct. I also think that in that timeframe, we'll get an exact date for Banjo and Kazooie's release date.

As for female reps that could work well? Honestly, we've exhausted most of them in just this page alone, and they all have reasons to join into the fray. It would absolutely be hilarious if Shantae did make it in, but in all fairness, we've already had one Hell of a journey with her already.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don't think that Overwatch would really get a playable rep in Smash. I'm cursing myself saying this, but the series doesn't hold as much weight as many FPS' in the past or even the present. In 2016: Absolutely, but in 2019, it's small like a candle flame. That being said, I think that Overwatch will play a significant part in the September Nintendo Direct. I also think that in that timeframe, we'll get an exact date for Banjo and Kazooie's release date.

As for female reps that could work well? Honestly, we've exhausted most of them in just this page alone, and they all have reasons to join into the fray. It would absolutely be hilarious if Shantae did make it in, but in all fairness, we've already had one Hell of a journey with her already.
NO, I was never implying that Tracer or any other Overwatch rep had a chance. A few posts after I explained that one game that only had a "flash in the pan" moment of dominance didn't really warrant a rep. My only point was that if this case exists, Overwatch is not only coming to Switch, but coming soon. And if it is coming soon there si almost certainly a Direct to announce it (probably shadow drop) along with other Nintendo announcements.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Exactly, think of all the speculation that came from something vague like "hero"
Actually, it was "Brave".

To think for a bit, is there any other video game character that fit those codenames?
Dixie Kong, Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, ect.

So you thinking Shantae may get in on the action or something? Who would she partner with?
Rotty for sure.

Boy, Wayforward is really moving to corner that japanese market with Shantae, huh. Almost like they're trying to get the attention of a specific crowd for a specific purpose...
Hopefully this isn't just to promote Shantae: And the Seven Sirens and it's something more like to promote Shantae in Smash.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Guess with September coming with games and more news, its caused leaks to appear again.

Though, the Nintendo Ninjas will spring into action if a leak is dangerous.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think action will be taken unless someone decides to bring up the entire Direct's contents at the same time. That really riles them up for some reason.

581002DD-B429-48C2-B308-0798FA964983.gif

Although it's likely that outsiders will doubt that it's real until it airs.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Dukefire

Smash Master
While I don't believe in leaks, here is one that say a Female representation is coming, but one that is not demanded. (Or so the leak speaks about)
img(5).jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
More "rumors" from 4chan. A giy claiming to be the samenpost from the other day is saying the female has a mech.

Again, text 4chan leak, 99.999% fake. Its not an overwatch character for sure. No presence on nintendo. KOS-MOS and Elma people seem to be shouting the most.

Im here just hoping its best thief Jill Dozer.

DrillDozer-SugimoriArt1.jpg

Dukefire

Smash Master
I remember playing a little of the game from a game store having a demo of it on DS. What was the title of the series?

Still, 4chan and Gamefaq are places where shantae is not welcome.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
More "rumors" from 4chan. A giy claiming to be the samenpost from the other day is saying the female has a mech.

Again, text 4chan leak, 99.999% fake. Its not an overwatch character for sure. No presence on nintendo. KOS-MOS and Elma people seem to be shouting the most.

Im here just hoping its best thief Jill Dozer.

View attachment 235843
A mech you say?
New Capcom rep confirmed!

D2jojEhEMo51zF5OCvaDC70K4I3MbCUhIBDas6zxMek.jpg

Top Bottom