• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I remember playing a little of the game from a game store having a demo of it on DS. What was the title of the series?

Still, 4chan and Gamefaq are places where shantae is not welcome.
Drill dozer was the game, made by gamefreak.

And yeah those places love to hate on shantae

A mech you say?
New Capcom rep confirmed!

View attachment 235845
I wouldnt mind this at all

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So a remaster or remake or something (details are kind of vague) of the old Aladdin and Lion King games are coming to the Switch (and all other consoles) in October More reason to get us a Direct in September the sooner the better.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, tomorrow is YCG announcements and 2 days before PAX West 2019.

Also, here is a shantae artwork for tonight
Artist: JaysonBlade
baywatch_mode_by_jaysonblade-ddey4bo.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yo, Blade Strangers is celebrating its anniversary with three new characters for free, Aban from 1001 Spikes, Kawase in a summer variant, and a character from an old obscure Japan-only PSX RPG game from the 90s.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...racters_to_celebrate_its_one-year_anniversary

I see that Nicalis still has no idea how the idea of "unexpected characters" works with that last one.

So a remaster or remake or something (details are kind of vague) of the old Aladdin and Lion King games are coming to the Switch (and all other consoles) in October More reason to get us a Direct in September the sooner the better.
They are upcaled remasters, at least on similar lines as the upcoming MMZ/ZX collection. I'd only call them remakes if they were redone from scratch in the same way Ninja Warriors and Wild Guns were.

Anyway, it's another sign that a Direct's approaching, at this rate we'll get yet another thing ahead of time announced/leaked for the Switch tomorrow.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Plague Knight's GF is now playable
Sweet, it actually happened.

D3xERSeXkAABLyX.jpg

Also, a new SK game, finally! At least the guy has a series now, though it's surprising that they've managed to keep Dig a secret for so long.

but what about Midna
Best to bring her up again when Zelda fans manage to muster up :ultridley:/:ultkrool:/:ultbanjokazooie:-level campaigns to persuade Sakurai into adding new Zelda folks.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ah so thats cool that Mona is playable. She was cute.

I really do think the next character will be an indie rep. Nintendo is pushing indie games HARD, and they are even sponsoring the indie showcases at TGS. What better way to show indies are important to them then giving them a smash rep?

The list of viable indies are not huge but a decent size.

Shantae: probably the biggest indie studio out there, wayforward has a lot of clout on the indie scene, even if they mostly take a back seat of it. They have been around the longest, and have worked on the most games. Shantae is a spirit already but i still dont think that disconfirms someone being playable. Shantae also has a long history on nintendo, so she is one of the top choices.

Reimu Hakurei. The queen of the japanese indie scene, touhou project is by far the biggest doujon game series in japan. Its representation on nintendo is only newer, but one cannot argue the impact on japanese gaming society touhou has had. It wpuld make a lot of sense to put Reimu into smash for those reasons. Plus her unique bullet hel mechanics could be interesting in a smash setting.

Quote/curly. Cave story is one of the oldest and well known indie games out there and having them in smash would be a huge honor and could be feasible since the series has a long history on nintendo.

Fisk. I will admit i never got into undertale, but i cant deny the inpact it had on the indie scene. Plus it sounds like sakurai is a huge fan of the series. I dont want an undertale rep myself but i can see it as a chance.

Hollow knight/Hornet. Nintendo is pushing this series hard, and it was award winning. Also old enough and has a new game coming, both important factors i feel for an indie spot.

Honestly those are the indie reps i feel really have the best shot. Candance is still a little too new i think? Next game i can see her easily happening, or as a second rep.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: It seems there will be a live stream concerning RCG at 8 PM Eastern.

Ah so thats cool that Mona is playable. She was cute.

I really do think the next character will be an indie rep. Nintendo is pushing indie games HARD, and they are even sponsoring the indie showcases at TGS. What better way to show indies are important to them then giving them a smash rep?

The list of viable indies are not huge but a decent size.

Shantae: probably the biggest indie studio out there, wayforward has a lot of clout on the indie scene, even if they mostly take a back seat of it. They have been around the longest, and have worked on the most games. Shantae is a spirit already but i still dont think that disconfirms someone being playable. Shantae also has a long history on nintendo, so she is one of the top choices.

Reimu Hakurei. The queen of the japanese indie scene, touhou project is by far the biggest doujon game series in japan. Its representation on nintendo is only newer, but one cannot argue the impact on japanese gaming society touhou has had. It wpuld make a lot of sense to put Reimu into smash for those reasons. Plus her unique bullet hel mechanics could be interesting in a smash setting.

Quote/curly. Cave story is one of the oldest and well known indie games out there and having them in smash would be a huge honor and could be feasible since the series has a long history on nintendo.

Fisk. I will admit i never got into undertale, but i cant deny the inpact it had on the indie scene. Plus it sounds like sakurai is a huge fan of the series. I dont want an undertale rep myself but i can see it as a chance.

Hollow knight/Hornet. Nintendo is pushing this series hard, and it was award winning. Also old enough and has a new game coming, both important factors i feel for an indie spot.

Honestly those are the indie reps i feel really have the best shot. Candance is still a little too new i think? Next game i can see her easily happening, or as a second rep.
I wouldn't discount Inti Creates' owned characters either:

Jason Frudnick. His series has a legacy dating back to the NES/Famicom, and now has two highly acclaimed modern sequels that got on the Switch. The original game had cult status for the longest time.

Gunvolt. It's no secret that he is Inti's main mascot, he has an active and healthy series, provides a neat toolkit with his abilities, and they have him show up in some crossovers (Mighty Gunvolt, Blade strangers).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
>Plague Knight's GF is now playable
Sweet, it actually happened.

Also, a new SK game, finally! At least the guy has a series now, though it's surprising that they've managed to keep Dig a secret for so long.
Is it just me, or does Dig (rather unfortunate name considering Steamworld already had it as it's core) feel rather Shantae-esque in aesthetics now that it's jumped to 16-bit Mega Drive quality?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Is it just me, or does Dig (rather unfortunate name considering Steamworld already had it as it's core) feel rather Shantae-esque in aesthetics now that it's jumped to 16-bit Mega Drive quality?
That's fits together well since YCG has some staff that worked with WF before moving on.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was about to bring that up, actually.

Also, nice to see them use Genesis-style PCM music, looks like it's in vogue right now between this and Blazing Chrome.
I don't know, makes me think of The Messenger where it's just the natural next step after intentional 8-bit NES throwbacks.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I recently played Pirate's Curse for the first time, and it was my first time experiencing the franchise in general. I loved it. It wasn't exactly a perfect game, but any game that makes me wish it wasn't over yet is good in my book. Count me in as a supporter, I'd love to see her playable eventually.

As my brain tends to do sometimes, by the time I was finished playing I had ideas for a moveset running through my head. I'll probably wait until I've played at least one more game in the series before I make one for her though. I'm gonna play 1/2 Genie Hero next.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I recently played Pirate's Curse for the first time, and it was my first time experiencing the franchise in general. I loved it. It wasn't exactly a perfect game, but any game that makes me wish it wasn't over yet is good in my book. Count me in as a supporter, I'd love to see her playable eventually.

As my brain tends to do sometimes, by the time I was finished playing I had ideas for a moveset running through my head. I'll probably wait until I've played at least one more game in the series before I make one for her though. I'm gonna play 1/2 Genie Hero next.
Glad to see you've played Shantae Pirates Curse I hope you'll be interested in trying Shantae & the seven sirens whenever they release it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, we won't have long to find out what WF has in store for Shantae and the Seven Sirens at PAX West 2019 coming tomorrow.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Glad to see you've played Shantae Pirates Curse I hope you'll be interested in trying Shantae & the seven sirens whenever they release it.
I probably will play it, yeah. The intro animation they posted a while back looks stunningly gorgeous, I'll say that much.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I think 2B is still just slightly too new.
NieR: Automata released just a few months after Persona 5 (P5: September 2016. NieR: February 2017). There's also this interview with Sakurai soon after Automata's release: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/03/15/thinking-outside-the-box-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-526/

I hate to be that guy, but Automata still isn't on the Switch, either.
Neither is Persona 5.

(Not meaning to specifically compare 2B to Joker, just saying Joker's inclusion goes against both of the above arguments)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seeing as Shovel Knight came back into the limelight, it would be nice to see some supportive fan art of the Shantae cast interacting with the SK one.

NieR: Automata released just a few months after Persona 5 (P5: September 2016. NieR: February 2017). There's also this interview with Sakurai soon after Automata's release: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/03/15/thinking-outside-the-box-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-526/

Neither is Persona 5.

(Not meaning to specifically compare 2B to Joker, just saying Joker's inclusion goes against both of the above arguments)
I mean, Joker had an appearance via Persona Q2 even before Phantom Strikers was revealed. Until further notice, 2B hasn't had any single prior Nintendo appearance, not even a small cameo in a weird spin-off. :ultcloud: Yes, it's an odd criteria, but it still seems to hold up.

Besides, I wouldn't overanalyze every single game Sakurai praises for Smash inclusion confirmation, that's why he's stopped posting about those on Twitter lately.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Don't overanalyze everything, you might end up burning out or even worse. Try to not burn time on something that can't go deeper.

Also, while Tracer seems to be a hot topic to talk about smash due to the case, D.VA joined the discussion.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Best to bring her up again when Zelda fans manage to muster up :ultridley:/:ultkrool:/:ultbanjokazooie:-level campaigns to persuade Sakurai into adding new Zelda folks.
I don't know if any Zelda character will ever reach that number of supporters that those three had soley for the reason because there is just too many Zelda characters to campaign for. But if any Zelda character were to reach this level of campaigning, it would certainly without a doubt be Skull Kid.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
As much as it'd be nice to have this woman leak come true, I'm still sure it's fake, and the flying projectile guy from months ago will look like a tool for even listening to his "source".

That being said.

Yeah I'm trying not to get suck into the hype, but if it's true, one of four female characters I'd want to see make it in are: Saber from Fate/Stay night, Elma from Xenoblade X, Lyn (Fire Emblem (I know she's an AT though, T_T))and Amaterasu (Ammy) from Okami.

The interesting thing is that Hideki Kamiya released a poll a while back asking people which character would they like to see in Smash. Out of these four Dante, and Ammy made it to first and second place respectively. But the producer from Devil May Cry said Dante was disconfirmed so that could leave Amaterasu as a possible female rep, but definitely not certain though.

If she made it through that'd be great but I'm always rooting for Shantae too both are very high on my list. I've wanted Ammy from since Melee and, Lyn and Shantae from since Brawl I'm hoping we hear something about the next fighter soon after Banjo Kazooie comes out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Don't overanalyze everything, you might end up burning out or even worse. Try to not burn time on something that can't go deeper.

Also, while Tracer seems to be a hot topic to talk about smash due to the case, D.VA joined the discussion.
Best to tell that to the rest of the fanbase, and even then it's an exercise in futility. At least this thread is reasonable compared to some I've been to.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Seems we got a new Shantae render from the PAX floor.

What do you all think?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Tomorrow is PAX West 2019. Let us see what companies has to offer with the games coming soon later this year or next year

Edit: the render looks great and cute. Can't wait to see the demo footage of the sample of the full game later.

Last edited:

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
I just got banned from GameFAQs for having an opinion. SMH.
...Slag ‘em. A lot of people get riled up when someone doesn’t participate in their little echo chambers, and resort to any means to keep themselves isolated and not even consider any other scenario or point of view. That way of thinking almost always bites you in the bum.

Last edited:
Top Bottom