• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
On a related note, it's kind of amazing how Rotty went from the GBC version of Canary Mary to a side role, to one of the genuine secondary main characters, to playable, and finally to a potentially plot-vital role. Fan popularity helped her come a long way.

And Mimic in particular has basically earned his promotion to opening title and being among the centerpiece characters for the main art. Nothing better for Shantae's uncle/father figure.
I have a little theory about Mimic... So after Shantae lost her powers she retained the ability to whip her hair and Mimic suggested that that part of her didn't come from her Genie half: Implying it' a trait she picked up from her father (possibly another ponytailed individual we have seen once... but that's for another time) Anyway, it's possible Mimic is just an honorary uncle, like perhaps he was a friend of Shantae's mother and was later dubbed her Uncle. But he could actually her blood uncle if he were her father's brother. SO if hair whipping runs in her fathers side and if Mimic is going to be fighting in the next game... Beard whipping confirmed.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So if Sky, Rottytops and Risky are really part of the 7 Sirens, what kind of ramifications could we expect from the revelation for each? Sky confronting her parents over keeping this info from her all her life, if they're even her biological parents at all? Rottytops finally learning about her and her brother's lives before their demise, and possibly having to be resurrected to do what needs to be done on the island? Risky coming to terms with the effect the Pirate Master has had on her life and personality?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So if Sky, Rottytops and Risky are really part of the 7 Sirens, what kind of ramifications could we expect from the revelation for each? Sky confronting her parents over keeping this info from her all her life, if they're even her biological parents at all? Rottytops finally learning about her and her brother's lives before their demise, and possibly having to be resurrected to do what needs to be done on the island? Risky coming to terms with the effect the Pirate Master has had on her life and personality?
Possibly, but we don't even know what the Seven Sirens even represent yet(Unless I am missing something).

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The Sirens don't exactly need to be of any particular group or such. I imagine what will most likely happen is when coming too this island are heroes will learn of some ancient prophecy that this island has been passing down. And when looking for the first "Sirens" who will be the native half genies, they will eventually learn that the other Sirens are our three (Probably some big wall carving showing them or such)

Doesn't mean we can't get some more backstory/character development from them, just means that their being a Siren didn't have to be part of their past. Think of the awakening Sages from Ocarina.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
New game is looking real nice. For some reason I thought they were gonna use pixel sprites again, but I don't mind this either.
Real happy to hear that it's returning to the good ol' metroidvania style too. The level select stuff in HGH kinda bugs me.
With all this fusion going on, hope Shantae packed quite a few Polymerizations in her deck though.

Also, hello everyone it's been a while!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The Seven Sirens huh? That's a awesome name for the new Shantae game. Hopefully we will finally see Shantae's mother in this game after being teased for 3 games. But watch WayForward not show her again and tease her at the very end like in RR, PC, and HGH.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The Seven Sirens huh? That's a awesome name for the new Shantae game. Hopefully we will finally see Shantae's mother in this game after being teased for 3 games. But watch WayForward not show her again and tease her at the very end like in RR, PC, and HGH.
I think finding out more about one of her parents is almost guaranteed. I mean considering this Island has so many half-genies, it's very possible that this is where her parents met.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
New game is looking real nice. For some reason I thought they were gonna use pixel sprites again, but I don't mind this either.
Real happy to hear that it's returning to the good ol' metroidvania style too. The level select stuff in HGH kinda bugs me.
With all this fusion going on, hope Shantae packed quite a few Polymerizations in her deck though.

Also, hello everyone it's been a while!
I figure that Inti Creates' prior involvement with WF had them overstep their bounds for HGH, which is why things got more Mega Man-y in that game.

I think finding out more about one of her parents is almost guaranteed. I mean considering this Island has so many half-genies, it's very possible that this is where her parents met.
Also, gotta have that unattainable series goal. It's like One Piece!

On that note, which arc would this game be the equivalent of? Also, love that title, it's so alliterative.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Also, gotta have that unattainable series goal. It's like One Piece!

On that note, which arc would this game be the equivalent of? Also, love that title, it's so alliterative.
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 I didn't know you were a Strawhat like me. Well, I think that might be too early to say, but maybe Alabasta or Water 7/Enies Lobby.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The Sirens don't exactly need to be of any particular group or such. I imagine what will most likely happen is when coming too this island are heroes will learn of some ancient prophecy that this island has been passing down. And when looking for the first "Sirens" who will be the native half genies, they will eventually learn that the other Sirens are our three (Probably some big wall carving showing them or such)

Doesn't mean we can't get some more backstory/character development from them, just means that their being a Siren didn't have to be part of their past. Think of the awakening Sages from Ocarina.
Yeah, but it's unlikely that the status isn't the result of some kind of bloodline, especially in the current era relatively free of genie influence. Though it could perhaps stretch far back enough that current generations forgot... it seems unlikely, given the timing of Pirate Master's uprising, the most likely cause of destroyed knowledge. We can approximate it to about 16 years ago given Shantae's suggested age and the timing of the genie's departure. Yet most the candidates and their immediate predecessors are still standing.

If there isn't an explanation like that, then you could say Sky's mom is just as good for being comfortable with birds, or any random zombie girl could fit.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So when do you guys think wayforward will show off the first trailer for Shantae & the seven sirens?
The soonest we will see it is a nindies direct, the one that normally happens in august.

Found this video, its an evolution of the shantae trailera over the years.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Shantae and the Seven Sirens coming to PAXWest2019!!!! We will see Gameplay there!!!!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 I didn't know you were a Strawhat like me. Well, I think that might be too early to say, but maybe Alabasta or Water 7/Enies Lobby.
Well, I'm not really a fan, more of a casual follower. The current never-ending structure scared me off from investing into it.

I thought of Skypiea myself, but that seems fair enough.

When is the nindies direct this month anyway?
That right there is the 2000$ question. Supposedly it should be the last week of the month, if we go by prior history.

Yeah, but it's unlikely that the status isn't the result of some kind of bloodline, especially in the current era relatively free of genie influence. Though it could perhaps stretch far back enough that current generations forgot... it seems unlikely, given the timing of Pirate Master's uprising, the most likely cause of destroyed knowledge. We can approximate it to about 16 years ago given Shantae's suggested age and the timing of the genie's departure. Yet most the candidates and their immediate predecessors are still standing.

If there isn't an explanation like that, then you could say Sky's mom is just as good for being comfortable with birds, or any random zombie girl could fit.
What puzzles me more are those four half-genies, at some point they clearly all had human dads and genie moms (due to the way that genie biology works). Are their parents on the island, or are the girls all orphans with missing parents like Shantae?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Shantae and the Seven Sirens coming to PAXWest2019!!!! We will see Gameplay there!!!!
Can we find some way to get a better look at the new Rotty and Shantae outfits? From what I can see, it seems like Rotty is wearing something rather genie-like and Shantae is wearing a hula dancing outfit.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Guess this is the month where WF is going to show Shantae with their current progress so far. Hope to see what the Half Genie, her friends and Uncle will be getting themselves into. Also, maybe we might get the full opening from the one we seen months back.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Okay, but looking at that image, in the bottom left of the sticker sheet, and top left of all those cards, is that... Rotty in a new outfit? From what I can tell, it's almost reminiscent of Shantae's. Although maybe it's a new zombie entirely? One of the Seven Sirens? A zombie Half-Genie!? HAS ROTTY BECOME A ZOMBIE ****ING HALF-GENIE!?

...Or maybe Rotty's just wearing that outfit for no reason other than to make me happy. :b:
Any of those would be interesting. ;p

Dukefire

Smash Master
Okay, but looking at that image, in the bottom left of the sticker sheet, and top left of all those cards, is that... Rotty in a new outfit? From what I can tell, it's almost reminiscent of Shantae's. Although maybe it's a new zombie entirely? One of the Seven Sirens? A zombie Half-Genie!? HAS ROTTY BECOME A ZOMBIE ****ING HALF-GENIE!?

...Or maybe Rotty's just wearing that outfit for no reason other than to make me happy. :b:
Any of those would be interesting. ;p
maybe it has to do with the island Rotty and her friends are vacationing at that made the outfit change, or it could be from the title "Seven Sirens". We will find out at PAX west 2019 in two weeks.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What puzzles me more are those four half-genies, at some point they clearly all had human dads and genie moms (due to the way that genie biology works). Are their parents on the island, or are the girls all orphans with missing parents like Shantae?
If the dads are not around, they're either dead or "lost" in the Village of Lost Souls due to the Pirate Master's previous rampage (is it possible he used to run that place before he was "killed"?).

As for the mothers... well, a glance at our new half-genie's designs could suggest what abilities they have.

- The black-skinned one with leaf adornments is probably a Grass-Type, with maybe some Water too due to their aqua coloring? Also probably the first one we'll meet, if the positioning of that plant-lady boss is anything to go by.
- The black-haired one with the gauntlets and shoulder pads is probably a punchy Fighting type, perhaps our fighter ability teacher for this game? May also have some measure of super strength.
- The one with the red ponytail near identical to Shantae's seems to be a Steel type based on her clothing, possibility of Fire for tempering? She kind of looks like Erza Scarlet, manipulating metal to create suits of armour and other things.
- That leaves the pig-tailed, puffy-sleeved one which is tough to pin down. Maybe she's a singer? Or has mastery over wind and/or flight?

Also, the sticker sheet has Sky on a beach reclining chair, so maybe the reason for the gang coming to this island is for a vacation?

Edit: Here's my attempt at clipping some art and in-game sprites:

Shantae 5 cards.png

Shantae 5 stickers.png

Hold the phone! Is Hula Shantae running pigtails?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, Limited Run Games is going to be opening preorders for River City Girls on the 30th this month (no word on what the special edition will include) and A Hat in Time will be releasing on Switch on October 18th. Not only that, but it will be getting a physical release and it will include the Seal the Deal DLC on cart!

I've wanted to play Hat in Time for so long. I can't freakin wait. If it weren't for Shantae being my favorite, Hat Kid would definitely be my number one wish for Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Something bothers me about those cards; why would Rotty show up on them twice? Would they really spoil/leak her involvement with the story like that, or is this an identical stranger (which is less likelier)?

So, Limited Run Games is going to be opening preorders for River City Girls on the 30th this month (no word on what the special edition will include) and A Hat in Time will be releasing on Switch on October 18th. Not only that, but it will be getting a physical release and it will include the Seal the Deal DLC on cart!

I've wanted to play Hat in Time for so long. I can't freakin wait. If it weren't for Shantae being my favorite, Hat Kid would definitely be my number one wish for Smash.
Yeah, just too bad that pesky fan rule of "needs more than one game" is in the way.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Something bothers me about those cards; why would Rotty show up on them twice? Would they really spoil/leak her involvement with the story like that, or is this an identical stranger (which is less likelier)?

Yeah, just too bad that pesky fan rule of "needs more than one game" is in the way.
Well, on twitter they already spelled out Risky, Rotty and Skye are are part of the Sirens, so I imagine it's something that we either find out early or is heavily implied.

Also, has Joker been in more than one game?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, on twitter they already spelled out Risky, Rotty and Skye are are part of the Sirens, so I imagine it's something that we either find out early or is heavily implied.

For Joker, he only has one. The persona series has a history with Nintendo.

Though the icing on the cake was the hub for Smash Ultimate was inspired by Persona 5.

Also, while its not related, but Astral Chain has released their opening.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

You may also consider the possibility that Wayforward is simply trolling us, when the phrase "we don't want to spoil anything" is said just before. In which case Rotty is just dressing up to mess with Shantae/try to fit in with her new half-genie friends/fulfill the tradition of giving herself a new look in every game since Pirate's Curse.

I think the rule is meant to be taken more as "the series must have more than one game", with underlying notion being it must prove itself to be more than a one-hit wonder to be considered. Joker's game is the fifth in main line, not to mention the cast rotates with each one anyhow.

Am I the only one getting "rival" vibes from the red-haired iron half-genie? Also, Nindie World this Monday: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...rld_showcase_announced_for_monday_19th_august

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
You may also consider the possibility that Wayforward is simply trolling us, when the phrase "we don't want to spoil anything" is said just before. In which case Rotty is just dressing up to mess with Shantae/try to fit in with her new half-genie friends/fulfill the tradition of giving herself a new look in every game since Pirate's Curse.

I think the rule is meant to be taken more as "the series must have more than one game", with underlying notion being it must prove itself to be more than a one-hit wonder to be considered. Joker's game is the fifth in main line, not to mention the cast rotates with each one anyhow.

Am I the only one getting "rival" vibes from the red-haired iron half-genie?
After Holly which turns out to be a memory as a rival, yeah I can see the red hair Half-Genie butting heads due to exact same hair style and clothing. This is going to be one heck of a vacation once the game shows a Actual preview.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Speaking of Hat In Time, I just beated it and 100% percent completed it for the first time ever. It was such a nostalgia trip for me as it reminded me strongly of some of the 3D platformers of my childhood such as: Super Mario 64, the Banjo-Kazooie games, Super Mario Sunshine, and the Super Mario Galaxy games. Hat In Time gave me strong vibes from all of those games and it's a very good feeling.

It's also cool that the Banjo-Kazooie composer Grant Kirkhope composed the music for the game as well.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, the smash effect. It could end up drowning the rest of the games if one appears.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I was expecting to see a Shantae Smash reveal at last year's Nindies and I was greatly disappointed. I don't expect to see a Shantae Smash reveal at this year's Nindies. I wish to be wrong though.
I wasn't expecting a Smash reveal, I'm just thinking a Seven Sirens trailer since there will apparently be some gameplay at PAX too

Dukefire

Smash Master
I honestly think that they would save it for PAX West 2019 since they are showing all of their current games at the event. Finished or still in progress.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I honestly think that they would save it for PAX West 2019 since they are showing all of their current games at the event. Finished or still in progress.
I'm thinking like in a Direct right or after Banjo & Kazooie drops which, will probably be in October or November.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While the flame is burning strong, just a reminder that the future is still uncertain. So, anything still goes until a certain event happens.

Top Bottom