• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
My only regret before the direct is that I wish I made that Cynthia thread a lot sooner, it had a great start but it did not go as far as I thought it would.

Gggggreat. I didn’t even realize I started a new page with my whining.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I just got some great news... I won't have to panic with my essays because their due dates have all been moved up two days! Woo!

I can watch the direct and not have to freak out about getting things done!

EDIT: Alright. Im off to bed. I wonder if we'll get any surprise leaks tomorrow, like what happened with Simon Belmont in August. Probably not...

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Man, this next day is gonna be a long one waiting for the Direct, but not nearly as bad as waiting when we didn't even have a clue how long it would be. The finish line is in sight and the only thing to fear is an AT dis-confirmation.

I still think she has a high chance of being in the base roster, but as long as she isn't an assist then her odds of DLC are almost a lock.

Anyway, before everything goes down, I would like to say to the entire thread: If things start leaking before the Direct tomorrow, please be considerate and put things in spoiler tags. Even if you are responding to someone's spoiler make sure you response is either in spoiler tags or doesn't mention anything specific. This may be our last chance to be surprised for this game in a big way.

Side note, in honor of spooky night, I thought I would change my avatar to something more dress'em-up. (not many good work out there of Luxray in a costume, so enjoy a little Link Shinx)

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
If I had to pick a top 5, I would have to say:

1: Shantae
Shantae is one of the few characters I believe should be in smash, not just because of her history but because she's a fun bouncy character whom I believe would translate fairly well into smash bros. Also any reason to get Shantae remixes is a good one.

2: Rex and Pyra
I played through Xenoblade Chronicles 2 earlier this year, and absolutely loved every moment in it. I could see these two working well together, either having Rex as the main fighter with Pyra performing the specials. Though I'm unsure of exactly how they'd function, as it could be like XC2's main game or the Torna DLC (Haven't gotten round to it yet).

3: Leon S. Kennedy
This one is one I extremely doubt will ever get in Smash but one can hope. ('v')b Out of all the Resident Evil characters, I've always found myself liking Leon especially. I believe his jabs and tilts could consist of knife attacks and kicks, whereas specials could be different firearms. Smashes could be more kicks or shotgun shots. But I don't think he'd translate well into Smash.

4: Tails
I'm not a fan of the various Sonic characters out there, but out of them all Tails is probably my favourite. Him being the little technician he is, I could see fighting with a variety of tail swings and tools.

5: Isaac
I've not played the Golden Sun series since Dark Dawn on the DS, but regardless Isaac would be up in the top 5. With a good design and moveset potential, I could see him as maybe not the most aggresive fighter, but certainly use a few field (Move) and battle (Earthquake) skills alongside some swird swings for normal hits.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
My only regret before the direct... I never made a Majora support thread. Why? Part of me felt like Majora would feel like it was a slap in the face to Skull Kid fans who have strongly wanted this character for a long time. Plus, Majora wasn't even in my top 10 most wanted characters in the first place and I'd be perfectly fine if he/she/it never got in.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I have new idea for fanart if Shantae gets in, she enters her harpy mode in combat and Falco ends up with a huge crush on this new bird girl but is in denial about it once he realizes its the new genie girl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey guys. Just wanted to wish you all good luck on Thursday. This fanbase is easily the most impressive new one that has come out of this cycle. Shantae went from a cult classic character to one of the de-facto indie stars and a lot of that has to do with you all both during the Smash Ballot and this speculation cycle. Hoping the best for you all in the future.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Just wanted to wish you all good luck on Thursday. This fanbase is easily the most impressive new one that has come out of this cycle. Shantae went from a cult classic character to one of the de-facto indie stars and a lot of that has to do with you all both during the Smash Ballot and this speculation cycle. Hoping the best for you all in the future.
Thanks.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
My mentions that she didn't bring up?
Roll - She's been a playable before in other games and not always a joke. She's surprisingly good at what she does and could easily back Megaman up as a second character to the franchise.
Hilda - The Lorule princess with her dark magic would make for an interesting Echo Fighter for the Princess.
Crash Bandicoot - Hey, this guy's a long shot, but he's been on my pick for some time ever since his revival. I don't think I need to explain any more here.
Whoops, I actually forgot to add both Roll and Hilda. Apologies.
My only regret before the direct is that I wish I made that Cynthia thread a lot sooner, it had a great start but it did not go as far as I thought it would.

That's unfortunately how most support threads are. Your's is actually a pretty nice size, considering the time it was created.

Last edited:

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
many thanks! her time shall come. i can feel it!

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Yeah that would be very odd. I dont think it'll happen, just like shovel knight was shown properly.

It was odd though that ones like bomberman and knuckles were first deconfirmed in gameplay.
Krystal.. :(
Don't remind me of Krystal. Hurts when I wanted her playable..... But if Shantae is in, it'll hurt less. 1.5/3 of the characters I want is in. I'll see if Shantae is .5 like Krystal or a 1 like Ridley.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I feel bad for the Isaac fans. Vergeben is obviously lieing and trolling, especially with adding that gif of John Cena, but they are freaking out :(

So Alphastoutland made a new video about the grinchleak. Brought up some interesting ideas about this one youtuber may being behind the leak, Mariotheplumber? I know someone mentioned that guy here before.

Also he talks about Shantae's Copyright being updated sooner then normal.

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Since we are making lists, here is mine
1. Shantae
2. No-one because I don’t see myself playing this game ever again after I unlock all the characters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

At least you tried, I haven't gotten less lazy enough to start up a Duke Nukem support thread yet.

Whoops, I actually forgot to add both Roll and Hilda. Apologies.

That's unfortunately how most support threads are. Your's is actually a pretty nice size, considering the time it was created.
Not to mention that some barely have support at all (Ms. Pac-Man, for example).

D

Deleted member

Remind me why Isaac is an assist again?
09A1B8E2-DEBF-4B1E-A783-148E40FF9D0B.jpeg
ABA58BBA-5327-471A-AB66-73DB57AD49A7.jpeg

Can anyone else remind me why verge is always right?
05C79678-C8C3-4369-8CDD-5C8DACC19493.png

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Remind me why Isaac is an assist again?
View attachment 173992View attachment 173993
Can anyone else remind me why verge is always right?
View attachment 173995
I don't lean one way or another with Isaac or the Grinch Leak and Verg, but, to play devil's advocate: Sakurai could have posted that tease as a reference to Isaac being added back in as an assist after his absence in Smash 4 because he knew people missed him. Also worth pointing out that the majority of characters in that little tease image are assist trophies. We also have items unrelated to playable characters, such as the Lip's Stick, so them adding in a Golden Sun item doesn't mean much.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I don't lean one way or another with Isaac or the Grinch Leak and Verg, but, to play devil's advocate: Sakurai could have posted that tease as a reference to Isaac being added back in as an assist after his absence in Smash 4 because he knew people missed him. We also have items unrelated to playable characters, such as the Lip's Stick.
True, and I hope these insiders have correct information regarding this, as it would destroy the Grinch leak and give hope for Shantae.

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
True, and I hope these insiders have correct information regarding this, as it would destroy the Grinch leak and give hope for Shantae.
Honestly, I'm torn. On the one hand, if the Grinch leak is real, it almost paves the way for Shantae as dlc is she isn't revealed as an assist. Most of her competition is out of the way by viture of being in the base game. On the other hand, it would suck to be stuck in limbo even longer.

D

Deleted member

I don't lean one way or another with Isaac or the Grinch Leak and Verg, but, to play devil's advocate: Sakurai could have posted that tease as a reference to Isaac being added back in as an assist after his absence in Smash 4 because he knew people missed him. Also worth pointing out that the majority of characters in that little tease image are assist trophies. We also have items unrelated to playable characters, such as the Lip's Stick, so them adding in a Golden Sun item doesn't mean much.
I hate devils advocate

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
It's almost time guys. The FINAL Smash Direct before launch. THE ULTIMATE FINALE, THE ULTIMATE HYPE TRAIN, THE ULTIMATE SLUMBER PARTY, THE ULTIMATE HINTS, THE ULTIMATE TEASES, THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATE!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL jk

But seriously whatever happens tomorrow. I am happy that I ride this #ShantaeForSmash hype train with all of you.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
It's almost time guys. The FINAL Smash Direct before launch. THE ULTIMATE FINALE, THE ULTIMATE HYPE TRAIN, THE ULTIMATE SLUMBER PARTY, THE ULTIMATE HINTS, THE ULTIMATE TEASES, THE ULTIMATE ULTIMATE!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL jk

But seriously whatever happens tomorrow. I am happy that I ride this #ShantaeForSmash hype train with all of you.
Regardless of the outcome, it's been an honor to share the #ShantaeForSmash hype with everyone. Let's go out on a high note (assuming she's in this Direct).

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Also before I leave. Happy HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep on posting your favorite Halloween Shantae pics until 11:59:59 today!!!

Because tomorrow WE ARE REACHING THE FREAKING SUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yay! Glad to see good vibes around. Let's see what tomorow brings.

Also, I agree with LaBeteNoire LaBeteNoire , and I'd rather we put in spoilers further 'leaks' until the direct airs.
If you're responding to one, try to do the same and put your response/reaction in spoiler tags.

We have a decent flow going into the direct, and at least personally at this point I want to find out what happens from the direct itself.

Top Bottom