• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
wait... Jman fox Jman???

:sonic:

:phone:

n im leaning tiwards umvc if u have time

i want to run Zero/Ironman/Spidy(or someone with a capture assist cuz im bad)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
At the very least, I'll have a reason to tune into the stream for EVO.
Wouldn't it be hilarious if they used laggy TVs? :applejack:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Lol, if they played on laggy TVs and complained about it i doubt the rest of the FGC would retain any of the little amounts of respect they had left for smash.

BSP

Smash Legend
Espy and K.I.D., just wondering, why do you two dislike melee?

Is it the community or you just don't like the game?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
You have to admit, every community is toxic in one way or another.

Life

Smash Hero
Given that this whole #oneunit thing is basically the policy I've taken towards the Smash community and how I want to affect it, I'm giddy.

I haven't seen that much toxicity in Melee other than that directed towards perceived outsiders (ie. Brawl vs. Melee and FGC vs. Smash Bros)--but I don't really have anything to compare it too as I haven't spent enough time in other communities to really comment on most of them (but there's no way we're more toxic than, say, WoW, which I used to play, or SC2 or LoL which I've poked my head into).

In any case, I'm increasingly seeing that, if I want to help unite the Smash community (or I guess at this point, keep it united), I have to be seen as a member of all our little subfactions. I play Brawl already, I gave PM a shot (and I liked it, it just needs time), I've started Melee (for this and a couple other reasons which I can detail if you like), and I've made a post here or there in a few other assorted places. I wouldn't say I'm the most well-known person on Smashboards--far from it--but I'd like to think I'm at least one of the more visible people here. If you go on Smashboards long enough, you'll eventually run into me.

...I was going somewhere with that.

Point is:
1. Post everywhere, join everything
2. Get mass respect
3. Unify Smash community
4. ???
5. Profit

That was the plan, but it looks like this drive went and shook things up a bit. Now rather than starting something, I have to keep something going.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
No, JMan8891 on PSN, I've been "JMan" since Any Given Sunday came out when i was a small kid, and i thought LL Cool J's nickname (JMan) was an improvement over "Charizard" loooool

In Melee, my tag is "T I T S" due to respect for Jesus though. I play pink falcon due to the bank of Hax$$$

Edit: Also, i almost feel obligated to go to Evo now. We need a good showing, and it'd be legit to combine it with my already 3 years planned (and fallen out of planning) trip to Vegas. It'd be lame for everyone to do so much, to only have like 100 entrants :/

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
And then we'll realise our Life has a point. Become an inspiration to others so that may try to do more and to become more than they are today. Peace will surround Smash and we will clash no more. (obv not mine) - Thomas D. Willhite.

But no really, good luck though.

@Jman: What does the "T I T S" stand for?

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
**** is because I enjoy lewd tags. Pretty much everytime I put that tag on, and play "hooker boots" pink falcon, I get a chuckle. That, and if I were to become know for melee, I wanted some nickname.

And everybody loves ****, amiright?!?!?

Tesh

Smash Hero
#oneunit is silly

I feel bad for any Melee player that thought acceptance and unity could be purchased from the FGC.
I feel bad for any Brawl player that thought acceptance and unity could be purchased from the Melee community.

It won't be long before the community is back to the Brawl hate as a way of defending Melee from the FGC. "No our game isn't bad, its Brawl".

Why must it be a fighting game anyway? Just to fight their standard? There are competitive games in every genre.

Smash should be working on building up things like Apex, Genesis etc. instead of trying to be a part of something that doesn't want us around.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm not saying Smash events shouldn't be like Apex (where they run a bunch of fighting games alongside Smash). The future doesn't have to be 64/melee/brawl/SmashU. But no one respects a suck-up.

Gaining the respect of the FGC should just be a side effect of being worth respecting. We shouldn't be begging them at every turn "hey look at me, am i good enough now!?" . Brawl doesn't need to defend itself from Melee (and I honestly don't feel like Brawl players bother doing this anymore) and Melee doesn't need to defend itself from FGC.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I played melee And pm for 3 hrs today. I hate a lot about the more vocal members of the community az well as the community as a wholes responses to things like unknowns incident and the plank tbing. The entire culture of melee just breeds people with God Awful mindsets. I.e. ppls relentless pole jocking of mango

Life

Smash Hero
I admit I don't get the mango thing, but I wasn't paying attention when he was good.

As for the rest, guess you just had to be there.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I actually have to agree with that KID. There is a lot of meat ridin in the Melee scene, but it's the scene's mentality. Melee wouldn't be Melee without a "stack it up" chant or "Get em' Aziz". The scene has more years under its belt, and I think it just grew into that.

That said, Im a player who plays both games and likes both communities. But at times the just... childish and asinine nature (unknown/inui incident's treatment comes to mind) just goes too far and becomes perpetual. I can see a joke if 1 person attempted to make light of it, and we all move forward. Instead, its a wound that gets rolled in so much filth that it festers, only hurting the body as a whole...

Edit: the #MangoNation is easy. He is extremley skilled, and dominant. He is hyper aggresive almost to a flaw. And he just goes balls deep on some players and most often, his matches are hella exciting. I think Hax is the best falcon, yet Mango's falcon is def in consideration for top Falcon. PP I feel has the best Falco, yet Mango's there too. You can name several top foxes, but there's Mango....

His mastery of several characters amazing, and his prowess at Melee is undeniable

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'm over it, but for the longest time I tried to distance myself from the Melee scene. Ever since the early 2008-2009 days, at Genesis when Brawl was put up on the main big screen and the whole crowd chanted "**** BRAWL!" and the like...

Since then, i'd like to think that most if not everyone's learnt to cut it out. That and I've come to stop caring. I'll play what I wanna play. And pick up Melee from time to time. And main Charizard in Project: M.

And represent Sonic in all his speedy glory in Brawl. Nothing more. Nothing less.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I like that. I'll say it again, at this point if Sonic were not in Brawl I wouldn't play it. I can play marth, G&W, Snake, Ike, Falcon, and the Zelda cast in MINUTE dosages and have some intrigue at best. Sonic is just a better time, and I feel vested in him/have a drive to improve with him.

Melee I actually enjoy even when I have to sit for 2 hrs practicing boring, simple tech because I got into it FAR to late, and my technical execution is my biggest weakness. I need concrete control before advancing to more sublte things like spacing, mix ups, pressure, and reads (I do them all, obviously, yet the tech barriers frequently get me pwnt when my thought process was correct). The improvements are just faster and more rewarding at this point in Melee for me.

That, and the only competition I have in South Dakota is a very technically sound, smart player who mains the spacies, and alts Marth, and a bit of shiek. So... he poos all over me, yet its rewarding to see the gap close, and great to take games/sets off him.

My brawl scene is me, and I don't practice and still win. That in no way motivates me to improve. And being on the boards helps me improve my decision making so... I do this to improve in brawl.

Kupo Rose

@Jman: I knew about that part lol. It was when you said "due to respect for Jessus" that I thought you meant something different.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Well, some of the OG board memembers may remember a small altercation that occured because of my username/brawl alias between JMan and myself. He told me to change it and I said no: you play only melee, I play only brawl, and i've been JMan longer sooo... no.

I asked and I think espy and KID said "dude, you only play brawl, don't sweat it" so I never did.

Kupo Rose

Just one guy, who cares. It's not like you have the unoriginal common names like Shadow or Zero.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
My favorite Sonic gamers (by name alone)

Espy, X, MeekSpeedy, D1AOS, Kinzer

Just cool sounding names. Then again everyone's got some pretty cool names.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Whoa... 2 far lol

Favs were Espy, KID & Tenki

Melee community sucks when it Congress to Brawl. Minus that idgaf.

I play SOLELY CUZ OF SONIC.

:sonic:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I would have gone with Sonic Boom had the name not been taken already.

I've been referred to as SS or Storm since then anyway, so I'm not changing it soon, corniness be damned.

Top Bottom