• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well if their usage is immature, how can we not identify them as inherently immature? xD
That would imply the only usage of profanity is immature, and that there can't be any other way to use them. Which is anything but the case.
So I don't know why you're acting like that's the case. V:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
General usage != only/primary usage.

Majority != Right either.

Language evolves from it's original definitions lol. General usage of the word, "Gay" in can refer to extremely defensive and safe play that's unappealing to watch for most in competitive gaming. That's not the only definition nor is that the primary usage of "Gay" however, and is completely different from it's origin definition.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I suppose it's personal preference most of all...I am just very disinclined to ever use those kinds of words

well I can try a different subject xD How does one go about learning to speedrun Sonic Advance levels? I might try that.

BSP

Smash Legend
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Play Sonic 3 & K instead" applies to pretty much any 2D sonic game

Tesh

Smash Hero
^thats every sonic game in the past decade, with the new addition of "hold forward in 3D and mash A to defeat enemies"

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sonic 3 and Knuckles's OST bores me a bit, especially the "and Knuckles" portion of it, which in effect bores me when playing the game itself. The Special Stage, Hydrocity, and Marble Garden are the only songs I really really like from that main game.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Least favorite song in the game after Sandopolis and Mushroom Hill. :V

As in, Sandopolis < Mushroom Hill < Launch Base < the rest.

Though now that I think of it, there are other songs that I like a lot too. Lava Reef, Azure Lake, Chrome Gadget, and others. The Slot Machine and Double Helix bonus game themes are also in the bottom of the barrel though.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Finally, my PC and not my clunker Droid 3.

Yes, I utilize my Droid 3 and use then my phone will RANDOMLY fill in wrong words (and switches things like your and you're*). I have actually been attempting to fix that, but on my 4th reset, I accepted it is broken, and also that Verizon refuses to help me with the issue till my contract is up (obviously, a new carrier is likely in order, lol)

I will restate that you attempting to attack my credibility was a moot point. I had no aim to try to trudge into some type of intellectual war. We were in fact, talking about an issue. I did not agree with you, neither did Tesh for that matter. He made a good point: you likely have some other flaws you could work on. It could be as simple as spacing. Regardless of whether or not you personally feel sandbagging ruins friendlies/practice sessions is irrelevant. That is solely your opinion on the matter. You cannot make a rash, blanket statement, then dissect grammatical errors in a post to sway the discussion away from the topic, and make it a "bash x forum person" type of thing. If you do, it ceases to be a discussion.

You don't know what issues my phone has, so it was very mature of you to admit that you weren't aware any any phones like that. Truth, my phone sux teh hairy onez. Not really feeling contract cancellation and possible deductible on top of a new contract with a new provider, so I deal with it's inconvenience :p

Playing with a core group consistently will most assuredly have the affect you're getting at however. I feel traveling to an OoS event and playing friendlies the night prior/day of is not going to "give you away" and make you free, you truly wont come into every situation and getting downloaded would just be glaring bad habits (do you always tech in place/roll one direction or the other? Do you always OoS aerial?). Even if the opposition is sandbagging, you can still watch behaviors and habits, which is all they should have time to observe about you in the likely amount of time you'll play.

To play a bit of devil's advocate though, some players are simply exceptional at deduction and observation. You playing friendlies with them can get you pretty much exposed. That will detract and be a factor in bracket. This is still a skill differential, as analysis is a part of the game.

To close, I really meant we were good, you just come across as having a condescending tone with your corrections to my post and kind of went off topic. I'll attribute it to txt only problems. Swearing is not any more immature, that also is a difference in opinion. It's not as if I were dropping bombs left and right. It expressed a point, and conveyed my point well (typos and errors aside, lol) for my own purposes. Opinions =/= fact, and I myself am not immune to this statement.

Edit: Does anyone here read Bleach still? I just read the newest chapter. No spoilers, but gee dang it, OP head captain is OP (c wut i did thar?) lol

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Planet Wisp is my bane, and I'm too lazy to really learn the stage layout.

Also, profanity is immature for the same reason baby oil doesn't have actual baby in it. :applejack:

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
We'll have to agree to disagree. I know plenty of people who are intelligent and swear. If an individual can't function without swearing, I am inclined to side with you. If they can use an occasional swear word (which is just that, a word) and still convey their point, I see no problem nor inherent immaturity.

XBL kiddies yelling "***** **** ***** *** ****er no0b-tubing *** dumpster" does not say anything remotley intelligent. "I cannot stand it when new players spam grendades all the damn time. They won't get better at the game with that playstyle, and other players find it frustrating". It is NOT immature. It very clearly gets the point across. I will say that its intelligent use can almost always be omitted though. Yet I contend the words by nature carry a certain weight behind them, and occassional usage doesn't detract from someone's intelligence or maturity level

:phone:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Quest, if learning a players style in pretourney friendlies is cheap, then you are a scrub. And if you ever lost to someone who did that to you it means you are bad and that guy is a better player than you.

Step your game up. Its called Scouting and it happens in EVERY professional sport. Any smart person is going to want to gather intell on their opponent before facing them. If you dont want to do what it takes to win, thats on you. Dont get mad at ally for being the better player.

And jman. Whens ur contract up? If you tryna switch, i can hook you up.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Not until I believe August 2013. When the time gets closer or if I find I can't take it and will pay the cancellation fees, I'll let you know

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
I actually try things I normally don't, and play aggresive the whole time, going for hard reads for max potential. Always have, due to it being fun, and my tournament playstyle is never the same. I see no probem with it, I need to take friendlies serious as well, as I rarley if ever get to play anymore.

@KID, I don't think you do. Just Doss, True Blue has me in his friends list

FB profile: http://m.facebook.com/home.php?__user=100000574688577#!/justin.doss.5811?__user=100000574688577

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Depends, ie case by case, but usually it's unwise @ tourneys. Friendlies are about practice yes, but unless your playing with people you normally do on a regular basis and they aren't your competition in tourneys, it's best not to go all out and risk be downloaded.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Experimenting can sometimes be very helpful in finding new options and strategies in individual matchups. I wouldn't put that in the same category as sandbagging, though.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Friendlies is the best time to gauge how viable certain options are in the heat of battle.

I think the only time true seriouslies are in order are when you and your opponent have nothing new to offer in terms of being downloaded, in which you're just honing the skills you already have.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Jman you just keep saying the same things over and over. (circumlocution!) You didn't respond to the content, like what I said about adapting.

KID you're funny. I like you in general. Don't be dumb xD ...If I'm a scrub then a whole lot of people lost to a scrub :rolleyes:

way to be presumptuous and put words in my mouth, guys. No one ever downloaded me in friendlies to beat me in tourney xD Like I said, the one time I played someone in friendlies then right afterwards had to play that person in tourney, I won lol. I didn't need to "download him" and sandbag to win in tourney, either. You guys are responding to content that you yourselves made up lol.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Well its actually JMan, since its a recurring problem on all the sections of the boards, lol

Second, I know I was repeating myself. You previously were ignoring my content and picking at grammar, lol. I have to read back, my bad for missing your adapting point. Will edit this shortly

Edits: Last I saw was your change of subject to speedruns.

I was awaiting more of these numerous examples. My contention of skill prevailing is valid claim. Tesh and KID have also agreed. The better player will win, whether downloading occurs in any form or not. I said Ally was the better player in consistent play and overall skill, so whether downloading occurred or not he still would likley have one. I don't deny it can have an affect, I just don't feel its going to lose you sets if you are the better player. I also feel anyone sand bagging will always be their own choice and you cannot try to tell someone how to play friendlies, as they don't have to see things from your point of view.

Downloading so as to develop a counter strat? Get a head start on your "adaptation" by using the friendlies? I missed it, but my posts still contended its not so much a factor from playing in an "away" venue with a non-regular competitor. You wont do every trick or be forced into every situation in friendlies, save doing an all-nighter with said player or playing hrs "seriously". Habits will show, and if you have a glaring weakness, yep, they can and will exploit it. To that, Tesh's claim that "you yourself have something to work on" holds true. My claim that you essentially slit your own throat on that issue comes into play here. I feel it's affect is marginal, and player skill, MUs, and tiers have a vastly more profound affect on the set overall. Downloading is negligible, if your claim is that one "sandbagging" is going to make the downloader have a signigicant enough advantage to take the set. His habbits will show just as yours will.

I think I did discuss my points, I'm not simply refuting your points. I actually am REALLY interested in more concrete examples of downloading being as big a factor. Lots of training partners play in tournament, and that's as downloaded as it gets. Hax vs JMan (NY) is an example. They came up as training partners, and they know eachother's playstyles and the fact that they only play their mains well. Downloaded as it can be. But skill wise, they are really comparable. Both tied for 5th at Zenith, they make it to GFs at locals together. Hax has a character disadvantage however. I believe in this case, downloading is still marginal, as skill and MUs are playing a heavier roll in the outcome.

Top Bottom