• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
It's a sight better than OK, anyway.

We were trying to get a tournament set up and we all got hyped for it.

Last we talked about it was a week and a half ago.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea well, Razer and Pwii haven't been to the last 2 local events either, so results are still just as stagnant. Bar is just lowered and 4th is 1st.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
This happens in single player games too. You ever get stuck on a level and after trying for so long you start to get worse? Like trying so hard has started to diminish your skill?

Its always good to take a break and come back fresh when you feel like you are "forcing it".
Reminds me of how Metal Sonic and Dr. R trolled the **** out of me on Sonic CD. I COULD NOT FOR THE 5 LIVES OF ME BEAT THAT DAMN LEVEL. I left, hung out with some friends, got a little lit and wrecked that **** first try.

I wonder how long I'll have to wait before I break my Aerial OoS habit, normally Aerials are great OoS when done correctly, but I've got a habit of doing it so much that you can just about bait it on any character with a decent fast fair that has range like marths, MKs, or Ness' and punish me for trying to uair or bair OoS :/

Edit: we got me you and tesh though! :cool: We got this! and by that I mean we have Razer, Trela, and you.
That means you have a shielding habit. Aerials OoS should be used to punish poorly spaced moves and unsafe moves on your shield. Not just because "Surprise! I do aerials out of my shield!" When you feel like you need to aerial out of shield, you should just space. Your overall position should be adjusted so that you feel safe enough to not have to shield until you're certain someone is about to commit. Try playing in training mode against an aggro CPU and don't shield, just outspace them.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Kinda like how FL lost Afro, HrNut and RedHal

but why would Trela quit when he is so gud and has the results to back it up?

Wait... Trela is going to WABA where he will probably win teams -_____-

:sonic:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Because people actually play that game. A local in UMVC3 is like 40 people deep. In a place like TX, Gnes would make BANK if he got sick at UMVC3.
Whatever happened to playing good games regardless of popularity lol.

I hate that its a determining factor now a days.

:phone:

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Can't blame them tho... in all honesty it just takes more WORK to have a scene in BRAWL

I just LOVE this game and SONIC enough to keep playing.

Life

Smash Hero
Espy's Sonic so good he timed out Trela

/reusing the joke from when URC disbanded

Anyway, Imma have to harass Space Thing now about becoming the best lucario

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Trela quit too?
I OUTLIVED THE BEAST! :applejack:
congratulations, now youll be able to get DAT FIGHT MONEY and keep your lights on at home.
Well jeez. :/

Why would GNES quit smash for UMvC3 of all things lol
I would go as far as to say about 50% of tourney going brawl players play MvC3. The game is fun as hell, theres a TON of room for interpretation. And it HEAVILY rewards the most important aspect of smash, mindgames. smash players easily transition to it.
Because people actually play that game. A local in UMVC3 is like 40 people deep. In a place like TX, Gnes would make BANK if he got sick at UMVC3.
Im going to a local marvel tourney in nov that has 30 people consistently, we might break 40 this time around.
Kinda like how FL lost Afro, HrNut and RedHal

but why would Trela quit when he is so gud and has the results to back it up?

Wait... Trela is going to WABA where he will probably win teams -_____-

pretty much all of florida smash plays marvel.

1. Marvel is a good game, thats why people play it. Not only is it fun to play, but possibly more importantly, its fun to WATCH even if you dont play the game.
2. Im glad people are finally starting to admit that Brawl is a good game.
Can't blame them tho... in all honesty it just takes more WORK to have a scene in BRAWL

for the record, I dont really understand why people would QUIT brawl to play marvel, when they can easily play and be good at both.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

It's work to have a scene in any game, especially if no one is taking the lead. But being successful with it is the most rewarding thing and allows you to play a game you love with people as opposed to settling for something else.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
It's work to have a scene in any game, especially if no one is taking the lead. But being successful with it is the most rewarding thing and allows you to play a game you love with people as opposed to settling for something else.
Some ppl just love the game, and getting better. Success isn't their drive. I got competitive with Melee YEARS behind the metagame curve, and im realisitic about my odds. I just love seeing my quick and steady progression.

In SD there really isn't a brawl or melee scene: no one in the dorms on base (that I know of) owns a wii or brawl. Maybe 4 ppl have and play melee. 1 friend group is really committed to improving in Brawl, and they don't expect to beat me even in tourny, but play to get better, and like gauging their progress as they close our skill gap. Its rewarding for me to play to not get too shabby with my Sonic, and also to watch them progress.

Both take hella work, so I practice tech in melee/do friendlies once or twice a week, and have done brawl friendlies 2 weekends in a row. Im with KID, get good at and play both, but since we don't have a scene here locally, I'd always go Melee over brawl, as the nearest active community is melee

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Just because you picked up the game a bit late doesn't mean you can't become a top player...you just have to self-analyze and be capable of adapting mid-match etc.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero

Because fun and winning stop coexisting after a certain point. Unless making money is what tickles your fancy, then you're in good graces. There's not alot of money in Smash...especially in regions that don't have a ridiculous population density. Taking first in those regions you'd make enough to cover the expenses you paid to get whatever tournament it is.

Atleast in Marvel, if you place 1st in a local, you're walking out with enough
to cover expenses and a few other things.

Just because you picked up the game a bit late doesn't mean you can't become a top player...you just have to self-analyze and be capable of adapting mid-match etc.
It is very close to impossible to become top level at a game without being a part of a top level community

True. However, not all players adapt that quickly that early in their game. To touch base on what KID said, if someone isn't playing high level players, they aren't going to develop the ability to adapt as quickly. Playing against higher level players exposes you to more developed and honed playstyles and allows you to learn and identify them as you grow as a player.

Life

Smash Hero
Because fun and winning stop coexisting after a certain point.
Alternatively, as I put it, losing is boring. (Then again, I didn't win a single game at Duq melee last Friday but I got visibly better nearly every game I played so that kept me going.)

Rest of the post makes sense tho.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Nah you definitely don't have to be in a "top player community" lol. You don't even have to be in a state with 200 amazing players - you just have to THINK a lot in game and you will win. It always boils down to who is thinking more.

Melee is different...you have to practice tons more tech skill for melee lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Ive gotten over trying to explain things to people of your mindset. just go to more tournaments and stuff and you will understand eventually.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'll still play Brawl, but the opportunity for going out to events is practically gone thanks to Work/School.

Prime and I picked up UMVC3 legitimately, and I'm starting to focus harder on League of Legends as well. :applejack:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
At this point, only the release of Smash 4 is going to be what it takes to rejuvenate the Smash scenes.

Gnes

Smash Master
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=143480

I think Gnes quit to play UMVC.

The question now is will Razer continue to play with no local competition.
Well jeez. :/

Why would GNES quit smash for UMvC3 of all things lol
I quit to play p4u and marvel and because brawl's metagame is beginning to bore me. Im getting better at a faster rate in p4u, but I'm also improving pretty fast at marvel. Brawl just isn't fun at the moment. I won't say that I'm quitting forever, but I'm having so much fun learning new games right now.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
1. Marvel is a good game, thats why people play it. Not only is it fun to play, but possibly more importantly, its fun to WATCH even if you dont play the game.
2. Im glad people are finally starting to admit that Brawl is a good game.
Just for the record, I think Brawl and UMVC3 are very fun games and good games from a non-competitive perspective.

However, from a competitive perspective and the perspective of a competitive game designer, I think both games are terribly designed and made.

While I'm not going to tell people to stop playing these games, If I'm asked an opinion, I'd will always steer them away to a game that is more suited for what they're looking for.

Sakurai and Niitsuma definitely have made more than a few poor design choices in their latest game and really wish they would cater more towards the competitive crowd.

I do believe that UMvC3 is better design than Brawl, but even still, they're both terrible competitive games in my eyes.

I meant the success of building a scene for a game that you love is what's rewarding. Having 1-2 people who play P:M with me on a semi-regular basis to a handful of people who play on a regular and frequent basis has been extremely rewarding in the sense I'm able to play this game with more friends, learn more about Melee and P:M, and simply enjoy a hobby that much more frequently.

Nah you definitely don't have to be in a "top player community" lol. You don't even have to be in a state with 200 amazing players - you just have to THINK a lot in game and you will win. It always boils down to who is thinking more.
You deff need to be apart of a "high level/top level community" in order to place well against players around your state/region/country/world simply because it's the meta at high level that you need to learn, adapt, and counter. Learning how to counter low level to mid level players will not win against high level players. While it does boil down to who is the smartest and most technical as well as consistent, you need to be able to readily analyze and predict what they're going to do, when they're going to do something, how they'll set it up, etc etc. And the only way to learn this at a high level is to either play said high/top level players.

I quit to play p4u and marvel and because brawl's metagame is beginning to bore me. Im getting better at a faster rate in p4u, but I'm also improving pretty fast at marvel. Brawl just isn't fun at the moment. I won't say that I'm quitting forever, but I'm having so much fun learning new games right now.
Stick to P4U. The game is far more legit than UMVC3, because I can assure you that as time goes on, people WILL start abusing the TAC Infinites more and more frequently because it's a stupid good stalling/time running tactic and also a huge meter builder. And while it's generally harder than standard ToD combos, it's still another ToD mechanic at everyone's disposal and is just a poor oversight which holds more cons than pros for the health of the game.

It's more degenerate than anything else. And when it comes down to it, people will use it when they're back is against the wall lol.

On top of that, Niitsuma and Capcom have made it clear they're not going to patch it any time soon so we're stuck with what we have when it comes to UMVC3.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
There are plenty of people who succeed in tournament without having constant "top player" practice. What you're forgetting is that everybody has a unique playstyle and even "top players" have to adapt when facing people who live in states without active smash scenes. It's not true that in order to do well you must have access to "top level" practice. All you have to do is know the different character MUs, maintain good spacing, etc., and as long as you remember all the fundamentals and apply them mid-match to a greater extent than your opponent, you will win. (unless you're fighting MK of course, then you have to be 20x more consistent)

Even if your local scene is comprised of predominantly mid level players, you can still improve and self analyze for every mistake. Your opponent may not capitalize on all of them but you can still reflect on what you did wrong and benefit. Go in with a goal to twostock or threestock if you have no one but low/mid level players to fight. ;)

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
That's respectable. :V

My viewpoint wasn't trying to state itself as fact so yeah what you say also has much validity in it. I do truly believe that being around high level players bolsters your skill much much faster since your mistakes are opposed much more frequently and you can analyze far more.

Life

Smash Hero
The idea is that top players have had more practice thinking and are thus better at it than you.

...that came off really condescending, wasn't meant to be though. Sorry.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
That's respectable. :V

My viewpoint wasn't trying to state itself as fact so yeah what you say also has much validity in it. I do truly believe that being around high level players bolsters your skill much much faster since your mistakes are opposed much more frequently and you can analyze far more.
Well sure, it's definitely easier to see your mistakes when you're playing someone at the top level...but it's always possible to self-critique even against mid-level players (like if you SD or get gimped once but still end up winning with two stocks, you could make a personal goal to be more careful offstage next match and pull off a threestock). This is why going to nationals at least occasionally is so beneficial to a player's growth - at a national, a person who might normally only be able to play mid or low level players has the opportunity to fight top level players and be forced to address his or her own bad habits, to a greater extent than usual.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'm still of the opinion that playing higher level players is much more importantn and has a much bigger impact than simple self-study/critique/restrctions.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Practice doesn't make perfect, good practice makes as close to perfect as you can get*

My point was personally, what drives me with Melee is that sure, Metagame is already at such a high level its ridiculous, and I have a dead state. But putting a few hrs into it over a couple months went from me getting 3/4 stocked for hours at my first tournament in Omaha (to Tyser, a Samus main who plays out there, got 7th I think at SMYM this year) to taking it down to 1/2 stocks and him saying "wow, you're definatley getting a lot better"

A person's drive isn't always winning. Love for the game and community, and seeing growth, are all I need. Otherwise why the **** would I drive 8hrs for a 12 man tourney? (18hrs of good smash/other activities for a weekend excursion is why, lol)

Edit: since brawl has the inherent lack of tech skill melee has, putting in those hrs for consistency has been more fruitful and helpful there. That can be accomplished solo. However, running lose in a free zone doesn't force me to get better. Like at all. Which is why I don't win in NE when I go, and why True Blue/Ryo and FL peeps wrecked my **** so hardcore. I didn't put any effort into brawl as I don't own it, and haven't since 2009. Im fully capable of realizing things and adjusting. Better player groups with more experience get to do it more consistently and progress faster.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I remember reading that divinokage the melee player doesn't have a gamecube (or at least didn't two years ago) yet is still successful...so you can just go to tourneys to improve lol, you don't necessarily need the game

but yeah that's a shame if the only tourneys near you are 8 hours away :( that's even worse than here lolol.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Yeah, Brawl was a hiatus from 09 when I enlisted, till this febuary when I bought a new car that could travel. So... 6 tournaments and then the friendlies I did in FL in July. Melee I can play, and there are 2 competent players, so we each push eachother to get better.

Also, Kage has a Melee scene where he is. S2J also doesnt own a cube/melee, but he lives in Cali, so that point is moot. If there are ppl to play, that play well, and play regularly; you are good

Top Bottom