• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

infomon

Smash Scientist
sooooo...

youre judging the actions and motives of a group, based on the actions of 2-3 years ago of an entirely different group of people..

Thats so fair of you.
OK, I concede.

So, what is the official reasoning for the ban? And how will the other rules (LGLs, stages) be adjusted now that MK's gone?

Edit: Wait a minute. I guess I should be saying "URC" (Unity Ruleset Committee) rather than BBR.
Who is in the URC, and what are their credentials?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its most of the people who run the larger regional tourneys in NA

today (SiiS)
Xyro (Hobo)
Esam (Zp monthlies)
Mikehaze (E4J)
AlphaZealot
Chibo (CoT)
TheTantalus (Xanadu?)
Yink (brainshock)
Lux

and a bunch of other TOs and really knowledgable players. Alex Strife (Apex) and Keitaro (ktar) were in there as well but left the group.

as for other, obviously mk centric rules, I dont know how that will play out yet.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Why not :luigi2: for :diddy: ? Luigi's game still needs development.
I have a Luigi. A fairly competent one at that. I'll use him for Diddy but I want to have something a little more solid against him.

And the fact that he's a lot safer from banana combos.

The only problem with Luigi is that you're going to get camped hard, but if we can figure out a way around that, he should be a good answer to the smaller kong
Well, I'm used to being camped and all that mess. I play Luigi against Falco, so I'm pretty good at getting around camping.

infomon

Smash Scientist
waaaait..... those are TOs..... some of them are ok players, but it looks like a bunch of them aren't........
shouldn't the ruleset be decided by people that have the best understanding of the game itself??

Why would we expect TOs to understand the game mechanics enough to decide what stages are viable for competitive play?

TOs will be naturally inclined to do whatever will bring better turnouts. That can mean banning stages or tactics that are disliked by (vocal) people... that is to say, there's a bias to appeasing scrub-mentality.

llloooollll

K I definitely want to see the discussion behind the ruleset, regarding stage/character bans and LGLs.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
shouldn't the ruleset be decided by people that have the best understanding of the game itself??
No. Rulesets should be decided by those that have the best understanding of the community and what will help the community most flourish.

Why would we expect TOs to understand the game mechanics enough to decide what stages are viable for competitive play?
because you expect them to hold events for you. have you ever seen a hundred man smash tourney, for cash, that wasnt held by somebody who knew and understood that game?
the people that win events typically do whats best for themselves. The people that hold the events typically do whats best for everyone involved, regularly, at the cost of their own opinions needs and wants.

TOs will be naturally inclined to do whatever will bring better turnouts. That can mean banning stages or tactics that are disliked by (vocal) people... that is to say, there's a bias to appeasing scrub-mentality.
Thats in your head. you are assuming the the people who are vocal are only and always the people with bad mindsets, even though its just as easy for intelligent knowledgable people to be loud and get their point across as well.

K I definitely want to see the discussion behind the ruleset, regarding stage/character bans and LGLs.
Id rather be a part of it, as opposed to pointing and laughing after the fact.

Also, add in obligatory KID comment.

Youre god awful at the game, thus nobody should ever listen to you.

Life

Smash Hero
What rock have you been under, infzy?

Name one competitive sport in which top players make the rule decisions. Who writes the rules to golf? Sure ain't Tiger Woods.

TOs have to serve the interests of the tournament populace at large (or their region, at least). Good ideas tend to catch on with people over time. Eventually, those people will want their ideas implemented. TOs, given a long enough time, naturally gravitate to the most popular decision.

When it was five members, I was vehemently opposed to the BBR-RC. Now that it's 17 members (and finally got that stupid name change--it was a long time coming!), I don't mind nearly so much. A majority of three TOs are much easier to get in a panic than nine. Three TOs, on a whim, could have changed the rules of the game, and if it wasn't something totally credibility-straining (say, they decide they're banning PS2) everyone would have gone along with it. In a group where the size of the majority required is tripled, it's much harder for stupid things to happen. It's why dictatorships have one guy ultimately in charge while republics have hundreds of people making the decisions.

I'll agree that the URC needs to explain itself more, but as I understand it the current stagelist is basically supposed to be a compromise between the two primary stage philosophies (although it leans pretty heavily in favor of small stagelists IMO, but that's something else). All other rules are basically "don't fix what isn't broken", and when something does break (pause rule for example) they fix it.

That, and the URC members are all pretty active on Smashboards AFAIK. If you have a problem, ask them.

tl;dr TOs occasionally do stupid things in the short term, but in the long term, they'll do what's best to serve their attendees, that is, us. Top players are good at the game, but that doesn't mean they know what's best for it (go back in time a year or two and ask M2K about Diddy Kong) or won't make biased decisions to benefit themselves (you probably know who I'm talking about). To put it another way, I'm pretty terrible at Brawl, but I am good at solving problems and theorycrafting, and if I weren't horribly uncharismatic IRL, I think I'd make a pretty good TO.

tl;dr tl;dr
BBR was TOs and top players: look how that turned out.
URC is only TOs (a couple are also top players, but that's incidental), and, while I personally don't like their ruleset as much, they're doing a pretty decent job.

Also, what KID said. (I find you're much cooler when I'm agreeing with you.)

EDIT: JK put it a bit more eloquently than I did:

For the record, there is really only one practical difference between a top player and what anyone would consider a "competent TO": ability to push buttons well.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Id rather be a part of it, as opposed to pointing and laughing after the fact.
Are you a part of it?
Are you entitled to be a part of it, if you wanted to?
Are you allowed to even see the discussion, to judge for yourself if it's reasonable?

Also, add in obligatory KID comment.

Youre god awful at the game, thus nobody should ever listen to you.
cosigned :bee:

Edit: And I think you guys have changed my mind somewhat. Brawl is a small enough community now that striving for correctness in the ruleset is probably less relevant than trying to keep the people that actually still play coming to the tournaments. And maybe the TOs did a reasonable job; I just troll this community now, it's not like I really keep up with things enough to have a solid opinion on something like particular stagebans and whatnot.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
stop, your talking as if you know all the work and thought processes that have gone into every decision TOs have ever made. Personally, I take this as a blatent insult to my man Lux. He has done more research and analysis on this game than you ever have, ever will, and will ever know. so you need to chill the hell out with that noise
Name searched my way to this and let me say, I am moved beyond words.

It seems few people even notice that I try to do anything around here, so it goes without saying your support is appreciated ;)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
rofl. *bows*

I mean. I guess since the only time I talk to you is when Im either arguing with you for being a tool or talking massive amounts of junk about how I/San would/will stomp you in game, I can see how you would think I have some bad blood toward you or something. But all things considered i like you and youre a smart person/player. and youre really really funny sometimes, even if you get a little too into yourself at times. you remind me of me far too much for me to not like you.

and lux, you know youre my dude. So I gotta look out for my peoples. It doesnt always transfer directly into the game, but you put in work my dude.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
one of these days, youre going to meet sanford in person. and youre gonna be like, 'wow, that guys a total jackoff, i cant believe i spent all that time ****riding him.'
I am intrigued that you think I **** ride him because I like one video where he makes a ****ton of sense.

I am even more intrigued that you made that comment via a L.I. Joe quote.

Additionally, I met Sanford before. He's really only kind of a **** when it comes to games...

Kinda like you. :awesome:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hey Mark, did you get his autograph by any chance?

*ahem.*

In other news...

NotDaBabyPapi 1:54 am
hello

NotDaBabyPapi is offline 1:54 am
IMs are delivered when the buddy signs in. Send NotDaBabyPapi a text message
KinzertheBrawler 1:54 am
Uh hi there...

NotDaBabyPapi 1:55 am
for some reason u're on my buddyIist but i dont remember who u are! :(

KinzertheBrawler 1:55 am
It's fine, I'm pretty easy to forget.

WeII I'm brittany do u remember me?

KinzertheBrawler 1:55 am
Sorry but I've never met a brittany in my life before.

I hope I'm not bothering u, i'm 20/f btw what about u?

KinzertheBrawler 1:56 am
18/m.

NotDaBabyPapi 1:56 am
cooI so whats up? i'm totaIIy bored right now and just got out of the shower. i'm feeIing a bit naughty & have no one to heIp me out with that.. :(

Boy, what a case of deja'vu I have right about now...

NotDaBabyPapi 1:56 am
I'm about to go on cam wouId u Iike to watch? i'II do anything u ask ;) h

Ah no thanks, I'm fine for now.

NotDaBabyPapi 1:57 am
no worries..thouhght u wanted to see me naked ..:)

KinzertheBrawler 1:57 am
I figure you'd be in a folder or in a circuitry. I'm not particularly interested in that.

NotDaBabyPapi 1:57 am
I'm a premium member of this super excIusive site, that's just Iike myspace except for aduIts and with cams and i can give out free invites out here's the site: *Nope.*

KinzertheBrawler 1:58 am
... why are you telling me this?

NotDaBabyPapi 1:58 am
Just go here *Nope.* and cIick the Green "Accept invite" Then fiII out the info babe!

KinzertheBrawler 1:58 am
... But I don't want to. :-(

NotDaBabyPapi 1:58 am
Don't worry, the credit card is used onIy to verify u're an aduIt! Read the smaII print babe. It says it's free if u are invited by a premium member.

KinzertheBrawler 1:59 am
Can't you find some other way to verify? Really I've no reason to lie about my age, I'm actually turning 19... on the 19th.

NotDaBabyPapi 1:59 am
i'm 24

You just said you were 20 not too long ago though...

NotDaBabyPapi 1:59 am
Iet me know when u're in babe, then i can make a private room for us so u can have me aII to urseIf ;) h

I never said I was going in.

NotDaBabyPapi 2:00 am
I'm setting up my cam now, Iemme know if u need heIp!

KinzertheBrawler 2:00 am
Uh no thank you, I think I know what I have to do and how do to do it by myself.

NotDaBabyPapi 2:00 am
okay, I'm turning on my cam.

NotDaBabyPapi is offline 2:00 am
IMs are delivered when the buddy signs in. Send NotDaBabyPapi a text message
KinzertheBrawler 2:00 am
Although I'll be honest, you're coming in at a very inconvenient time. Why not spam me again after the month is finished, or even after the 22nd?

KinzertheBrawler 2:01 am
Also how do you turn on a webcam? Don't you just plug it in to the computer port?
... Huh, you didn't block me this time. No matter, I still get to report you all the same.

Seriously, I don't need to be "encouraged," I'm doing a certain challenge, wah! D:

Granted, this one is pretty dull. It was the exact same thing as last time, the only difference is my response. Anyway, if you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it.

Yay for being awake at 2 A.M. on a college night with nothing to do. I'm just glad it's only going to be lectures today.

Heyo though before I forget, Jerry if you happen to be reading this today just is not be a good day. I'll probably be tired after class, and unless you just want to swim in the pool today then I rather I not go.

... and I know that you can't swim so what difference does it make in the end eh...? No real hard feelings, maybe Tuesday huh? I should have a more normal sleeping schedule after that and after anime club we can just go straight to the gym with mostly full energy.

:093:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Nope.
I don't treat people like celebrities.
I don't even treat celebrities like celebrities.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I am intrigued that you think I **** ride him because I like one video where he makes a ****ton of sense.

I am even more intrigued that you made that comment via a L.I. Joe quote.

Additionally, I met Sanford before. He's really only kind of a **** when it comes to games...

Kinda like you. :awesome:
you tend to get on these tangents and hold on to them for way longer than everybody else. Like, there was a period of like 6 months where you couldnt get through a whole sentance without making a 'winning' reference.

you took that vid a little too serious imo. yea it made sense and it was funny but it wasnt revolutionary at all.

personally, i think this is the best sanford related vid anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDgsAef3-Pk&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL48163DCF2FDF55EF

and i may be a **** sometimes, but my salt levels arent even comparable.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
LOL KID standing up for URC. If only you knew.........

Real talk though. Delux I love doing my own research in this game, and I respect you for trying to break it down like you do. Because of you I have been able to find some more solid option selects in this game. Makes it easier to play the way I wish to play.

@Espy: I know Im late to this, but I definitely feel you with this creativity thats gone out the window in our boards. I hate the way we have to play this game currently. I refuse to do so lol. I have always been about competitive fighters since day one, but as a personal preference I love to put on pressure; something i wish we could overtly do more so. If it wasnt for Mike and Eric (Tyrant), as well as my other crew in Santa Ana, Id probably would have quit this game a long time ago. UMvC3 is coming out though and the 3S revival (why is that game so beautiful?) is starting. Oh and Skyrim; gotta love Bethesda. That plus Medical studies probably means the end of Brawl for me unless I find some new option selects that can make me play my arggo game more effectively.

EDIT: If you were actually at his level in a game KID I guarantee you that you would be just as if not more salty as him. You're not winning any money so you dont care AS much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoEKWtgJQAU#t=51s

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If you wanna be really real, if youre talking about sanford, I actually do win money in marvel. and you probably think im talking out my booty but I think I could take sanford in a match.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
If you wanna be really real, if youre talking about sanford, I actually do win money in marvel. and you probably think im talking out my booty but I think I could take sanford in a match.
Pretty sure you also thought you could take Seagull.
And Chibo.
And K9.
And Will.
And Gunblade.
And that random marth you lost to at KTAR6.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
wedge posted, I assume its about marvel.

ill see you and your cruddy little team at apex, after you punk out and start picking up top tiers.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Finally changed my CSS and stuff. Everything looks so much cooler now.

^
I put a big X over MKs face now.

Tesh

Smash Hero
You know what really sad tho?

Once I started putting in the custom character pics, I felt bad that there won't ever be a real bayonetta vs darth vader vs rachet vs robotnik...

...its just brawl

Tesh

Smash Hero
I was just thinking of Sonic Battle and how 1 simple thing can promote aggressive play. I hope Smash 4 has a universal "heal" button. Forcing people to keep the pressure on if they want the kill. Even if its just a special mode.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Cream's heal was stupid OP, and if you didn't auto-block her aerial Cheese twister move, she could just spam it all day and never care.
Also, Sonic Battle would've been even more amazing if the shield mechanics weren't so blatantly broken in and of itself. :applejack:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
you tend to get on these tangents and hold on to them for way longer than everybody else. Like, there was a period of like 6 months where you couldnt get through a whole sentance without making a 'winning' reference.
Blatant understatement. My name on FaceBook is Mark Wins. My blog is markwins.blogspot.com. Every time I win anything it's a play to my facebook name... "Welp, I guess Mark Wins."

I've said it before and I'll say it again. For me, winning isn't a trend that died out for everyone else.
It's a lifestyle. A mindset, at worst.
There has been a considerable positive difference in me and my life before and after the concept of "Winning."

Why "Winning" and not any other fad like that based god ****? Why Charlie Sheen and not Michael Jordan? I don't have a clue. Winning just clicked. Flipped a switch. And it's going to stay on.

Furthermore, I'm still doing **** without hesitation because I got that shine. :awesome:

you took that vid a little too serious imo. yea it made sense and it was funny but it wasnt revolutionary at all.
Of course it wasn't revolutionary since everyone was already doing it. Besides, I got tired of Ken.

ESPN ftw.

and i may be a **** sometimes, but my salt levels arent even comparable.
From what I have seen, that's only because exponents exist.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I wanna see Wedge vs. KID ft10 in Brawl at Apex.

I don't care if it'll take all day. I wanna see it.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Is it wrong that I just looked at the new OOTS and started applauding IRL?
No. No, not at all.

Sold. Never even heard of this, but now I'm a make an effort to read all 800+ comics.

I've been looking for a good web comic to read... kinda sorta thinking about starting one myself.

Life

Smash Hero
It starts a little slow in the beginning (mostly just random DnD jokes for the first handful of strips) and you can tell how much The Giant's art has evolved since then (compare the latest strip, which would be a huge spoiler if you were partway through the strip [but you'll forget about it by the time you get back to it I think], to the earliest few strips and you can really tell the difference) but it's definitely worth the time to start at the beginning.

That was the most awkwardly constructed sentence I've written in some time.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Thats because instead of using periods and commas, you used parenthesis and brackets.

But sometimes, that's just how people talk.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
You would take Sanford in MvC2? The one he destroys at? And why the heck do you think that? Heck i doubt you can take him in 3. and thats saying somethin. KID always talking big game, then I see this ***** at KTAR6 get smashed so fast I thought he just came there to commentate (horrendously). It was only until afterwards i realized this dude actually entered. You need to loosen those goggle straps bro. You just mindrape yourself to another level. Im about to start calling you Fischer Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5gYLO_nw_Y#t=30s

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You would take Sanford in MvC2? The one he destroys at? And why the heck do you think that? Heck i doubt you can take him in 3. and thats saying somethin. KID always talking big game, then I see this ***** at KTAR6 get smashed so fast I thought he just came there to commentate (horrendously). It was only until afterwards i realized this dude actually entered. You need to loosen those goggle straps bro. You just mindrape yourself to another level. Im about to start calling you Fischer Jr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5gYLO_nw_Y#t=30s
me and neil both went there mainly for marvel, since thats all we had played pretty much since pound.

pikapika ended up getting 4th and I didnt enter because it was on Xbox, and I play ps3 controller. I did however go 50-50 trading games with the guy who got an incredibly narrow 2nd (DMBrandon) at said tournament.

And yes I was refering to Marvel 3 when I made the Sanford comment. Seeing as he did actually make a concerted effort to get good at the game.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Kinda disappointed.
I thought KID was talking MvC2...

Top Bottom