• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
What group? Your gaming club?
Because really, that wouldn't do much. There's plenty of furries in my little circle down here. I'd say about 90%.
:V

I remember a year ago you said something along the lines of ordering me to post pictures. Guess I'll have to up the ante somehow.

When I first picked up Sonic around....November '08 I think, I had no one to guide me on using Sonic right, but I did have a Pikachu/Lucas/Snake, a G&W/DK, and a Wolf/Diddy college buddy to help me in learning what works where and on spacing. Then when I signed on here and got into wifi, I had Kupo and Wedge to teach me the ropes on using Sonic, and Kofu to help with the god-awful ROB matchup, and to keep the GW matchup fresh in my mind.

I never really took inspiration from any Sonic player when formulating my style, except for maybe snips of Kupo's and Wedge's style; I pretty much built the foundation of my style from the ground up. Maybe that's the secret to my ability to improve and never get bored with playing Sonic: recognizing that it's my style and as such is a not a style I can ever say will have a goal or be completed in perfection, I can get enjoyment from going back and experimenting on facets of my style and seeing what works and what doesn't.

But then again since it's my style alone, I pretty much started from the bottom, where others started few rungs higher. Maybe that explains why I'm mediocre, lol.

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
Playing the way I want to play is having fun.
Hard to do that when the competitive standard begs to play in a way I find deplorable.

Also, can you even get an A-Rank like that?
The time bonus would need to be around 9350, give or take (A-Rank on Security Hall is 12,000).

...yeah, you probably can. :applejack:
Time bonus is 10000 - 20x, where x = the number of seconds you spend in a level. The only exception is any time under 1 minute, which gives you 10000 points regardless.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Time to get PRd in OK...

But wait, we only have one Mk main, and he still beats me down with Pokemon Trainer..

:phone:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Okay...I know I'm slow right now and haven't been here for a while, but Meta Knight got banned?
Not until the fish jumps.

Fish doesn't jump until after Apex.

Well, his banning is optional until after Apex, where he's perma-banned after that...

at least in the Unity Ruleset.

I'm a little taken back by this ban though. I'm going to Apex, and was pretty much going to use MK just because he wasn't banned. But since he's kinda banned now and will be banned after Apex, I feel like my MK use kinda loses its luster.

I might just go Marth now. And maybe Sonic if the camera's rolling. Maybe.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hey it could be worse.

... So... Much... Worse~... ;_;

I'll let him explain it though.

Edit: This new edit system sucks, I want the old one back TBH.

:093:

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
MK GOT BANNED?!

The news of the bat's death has temporarily revived me from the grave XD.

Found this out randomly from someone on facebook.

infomon

Smash Scientist
with mk banned, it's really unconditionally no longer brawl that we're playing.

it's some demented sub-game lol with a bunch of arbitrary rules on how people are allowed to play.

actually the ledgegrabs were worse for this; I might rather have mk banned than allow the arbitrary nonsense like ledgegrab/chaingrab limits. so if they actually legit ban MK then they better throw away all our other garbage restrictions: like opening up the vast majority of stages for which MK had contributed to the banning (like Norfair iirc).

Tesh

Smash Hero
Ah, looks like I'll still be picking up a high tier.

:sonic: / :wario: should have me covered for everything right?
:wario: > :olimar:
:sonic: >:marth:
:wario: > :wolf:
:sonic: > :peach:
:wario: > :falco:
:sonic: > :dedede: ? despite the risk reward looking kind of horrible for Sonic on paper. I thought Wario lost this matchup bad due to some infinite or w/e.
:wario: > :lucario:
according to the bbr matchup chart though, Sonic is barely useful to Wario at all. If marth truly does become the dominant force in the metagame, that will change though.

Wario is a helluvalot of fun. I'll also have so many CP options. Tho I think I'll never love Brinstar.

@ infzy, I still think Norfair and RC are dumb. They just promote alot of running like hell imo. I know most people won't abuse it, but... Characters with amazing horizontal movement like Falco, Wario, Sonic etc. are still gonna spend 75% of the match not having to fight. Its kind like how people blame skyworld ban on MK, when really its just that no one wants to get spikes at 40 from an upsmash/upthrow.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
it's some demented sub-game lol with a bunch of arbitrary rules on how people are allowed to play.
3 stock.
8 minutes
2/3 sets. 3/5 for finals.
no items
Neutral stages only for first game.
Limited counterpicks.

...Right, because banning mk was what ACTUALLY made this an arbitrary rule-fest...

actually the ledgegrabs were worse for this; I might rather have mk banned than allow the arbitrary nonsense like ledgegrab/chaingrab limits. so if they actually legit ban MK then they better throw away all our other garbage restrictions: like opening up the vast majority of stages for which MK had contributed to the banning (like Norfair iirc).
agree. and for the record, the unity ruleset already considers all infinites legal.

infomon

Smash Scientist
@ infzy, I still think Norfair and RC are dumb. They just promote alot of running like hell imo. I know most people won't abuse it, but... Characters with amazing horizontal movement like Falco, Wario, Sonic etc. are still gonna spend 75% of the match not having to fight. Its kind like how people blame skyworld ban on MK, when really its just that no one wants to get spikes at 40 from an upsmash/upthrow.
If you don't like brawl, then don't play brawl. Play a different game, that you actually like.
But I wanted to play Brawl, like what brawl actually is, not the game that you made up by throwing away the stuff that you arbitrarily decided wasn't fun for you.

This is an important philosophy in particular because people tend to "dislike" the parts of the game that they're bad at. People always want to ban the stages/strategies that are bad for their characters, etc. Scrubs.

Prove that something is broken before you ban it. Skyworld, now, needs to be proven broken in a metagame that lacks MK.

Edit: and people always think "sufficient proof" means playing a few friendlies on the stage. We need to do better than that.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Skyworld is a few steps away from sudden death is all. Miss a tech past 40 and you die. Its kinda like how mario bros could be legit, but its just centralized around 1 simple thing.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'll probably start focusing on a wonky :sonic:/:dedede:/:yoshi2: combo to handle matchups.

:dedede: for the :snake:/:peach:/:marth:/:wario:/:lucario:/:wolf: matchups
:yoshi2: for :olimar: and various mid-tier and low-tier matchups I'm not comfortable getting up close in with Sonic and would rather camp with eggs and pivot grabs instead.
And :sonic: for everyone else.

The big issues would only be :falco: and :diddy:, but I feel :sonic: can handle the former, and maybe :yoshi2: for the latter.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If you don't like brawl, then don't play brawl. Play a different game, that you actually like.
But I wanted to play Brawl, like what brawl actually is, not the game that you made up by throwing away the stuff that you arbitrarily decided wasn't fun for you.

This is an important philosophy in particular because people tend to "dislike" the parts of the game that they're bad at. People always want to ban the stages/strategies that are bad for their characters, etc. Scrubs.

Prove that something is broken before you ban it. Skyworld, now, needs to be proven broken in a metagame that lacks MK.

Edit: and people always think "sufficient proof" means playing a few friendlies on the stage. We need to do better than that.
stop, your talking as if you know all the work and thought processes that have gone into every decision TOs have ever made. Personally, I take this as a blatent insult to my man Lux. He has done more research and analysis on this game than you ever have, ever will, and will ever know. so you need to chill the hell out with that noise.

and if you really feel that way, you can go hop on a basic brawl on wifi and tell me if thats what you really want to play. cause thats the only mode out there with no arbitrary rules.

personally I love having as many available stages as possible. But skyworld in particular, I can tell you, is really bad

I agree with a lot of you thought processes. But you talking points and more importantly, your attitude, is piss poor right now.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
@KID/Infzy: at what point, exactly, are we playing Brawl? Is it Basic Brawl? Was it the URC before MK banned? Will we be playing Brawl after the MK ban? Maybe true Brawl is the URC + all items on?

@everyone talking about picking up different characters: you can pick up different characters...

Or you can be like Japan.

One character.
Till Death.
I hope someone gets the reference.

Tesh

Smash Hero
First

" I wanna have priority, ***** it out and get the free damage"

oh you can't say horse...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol.
If I see that video at any point before I'm officially eliminated from pools/brackets, I'm going MetaKnight for the rest of the time there. Period.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
one of these days, youre going to meet sanford in person. and youre gonna be like, 'wow, that guys a total jackoff, i cant believe i spent all that time ****riding him.'

infomon

Smash Scientist
Fair points KID. I just remember the BBR and many TOs (not all) banning lots of stuff long before the mechanics of this game were even understood. And especially how the BBR provided zero justification for it at all.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
@KID/Infzy: at what point, exactly, are we playing Brawl? Is it Basic Brawl? Was it the URC before MK banned? Will we be playing Brawl after the MK ban? Maybe true Brawl is the URC + all items on?

@everyone talking about picking up different characters: you can pick up different characters...

Or you can be like Japan.

One character.
Till Death.
I hope someone gets the reference.
First

" I wanna have priority, ***** it out and get the free damage"

oh you can't say horse...
Yup he got it.

one of these days, youre going to meet sanford in person. and youre gonna be like, 'wow, that guys a total jackoff, i cant believe i spent all that time ****riding him.'
I don't ever have high expectations of people. People suck too much for that.

Also, I'm picking up :olimar: because I hate :diddy:. I might have to dust off my :popo: for Falco's ***** ***.

Life

Smash Hero
I'm focusing on getting good with Marth before I get good with Sonic. I tend to think better when I'm playing Marth, for whatever reason. (Probably I'm getting too caught up in all the speed and I need to slow down.) He's hype with MK gone, but that's just a bonus.

Once I have :marth: / :sonic: down, maybe I'll pick up something to deal with Diddy. Ideas? Or maybe I'll play around with Oli, or even Snake, idk really. I love this game...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Fair points KID. I just remember the BBR and many TOs (not all) banning lots of stuff long before the mechanics of this game were even understood. And especially how the BBR provided zero justification for it at all.
sooooo...

youre judging the actions and motives of a group, based on the actions of 2-3 years ago of an entirely different group of people..

Thats so fair of you.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Even the BBR at this time are aware of how hard the old BBR dropped the ball at Brawl's beginnings, Infzy. :p :applejack:

BSP

Smash Legend
And the fact that he's a lot safer from banana combos.

The only problem with Luigi is that you're going to get camped hard, but if we can figure out a way around that, he should be a good answer to the smaller kong

Top Bottom