• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I ate two apples and three bottles of apple juice the other day. I'm as impressionable as all hell. :applejack:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Seagull and Nike are the Sonic slayers, KT. They have more Sonics under their belt than you can ever dream of. :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
You'd be amazed at the amount of money you can save if you cut enough luxuries out of your life. Though I don't suppose it would be worth it for a 3 day video game tournament...

If Espy wins the LSC Championship he could go to APEX. ;)

I plan to beat Nike before any of you have the chance. :glare:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I don't play this game anymore.

it's irrelevant.

we out.
HTCP & SFA 3 != Brawl.
Just putting that out there.

I'd actually donate to an "S-P 2 APECKS" foundation. Cause I wanna play him in SA2B.

And I got a ******** amount of MvC2 training to do in order to attempt to beat Kid. I've gotten bad at that game.

Furthermore, I have a SF2 mm of some kind with one of TKBro's friends (I think).

I feel like the only real reason I'm going to Apex is to beat people in games that aren't Brawl. Like, if Azen was there, I'd totally challenge him to Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League.

Excuse my ignorance, but who does Seagull even use?

DarkFlameX

Smash Apprentice
If I end up going, I'll be taking up any MM's from Sonics as well :)!

and speaking of former sonic mains that slay sonics now, what about Malcolm? he created the metagame for the character lol

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I lose to every :sonic: on Wi-Fi.

I main :wolf:. Just look at my character icon on the bottom left.

I don't think Speed has taken a game from me before. D1aos has and so has Wedge.

:018:

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
HTCP & SFA 3 != Brawl.
Just putting that out there.

I'd actually donate to an "S-P 2 APECKS" foundation. Cause I wanna play him in SA2B.

And I got a ******** amount of MvC2 training to do in order to attempt to beat Kid. I've gotten bad at that game.

Furthermore, I have a SF2 mm of some kind with one of TKBro's friends (I think).

I feel like the only real reason I'm going to Apex is to beat people in games that aren't Brawl. Like, if Azen was there, I'd totally challenge him to Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League.

Excuse my ignorance, but who does Seagull even use?
If I even go. There is like no point to playing this game anymore. I've hit a plateau and I've begged for advice and critiques to improve my gameplay from every end and most of it has fallen on deaf ears.

inb4peoplestart*****ingatme

But yeah, I'll TRY to make it to APEX. I can't make any promises. If I do go, I'm slaying you in HCTP.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you can ask me now that I'm an awesome sonic player

:troll:

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
^**** like that doesn't help either.

It's really degrading to me as a player to be THE laughing stock of my character. I don't post a ****ing stack of replays for them to sit and gain cobwebs. I do it because I am legitimately looking for help. New Sonics walk in here and are like "Hey I could use some advice." People fall over themselves to help them out. I am like "So, I need some major input that could potentially better me as a player." *crickets*. It's like you're saying "If you don't have it down by now, you're **** out of luck."

I'm sure this too will be ignored because once again, I am

Of the Sonic Boards.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol @ this depression.

I would totally give advice... if I knew what the **** I was doing with Sonic. Or anything in this game for that matter.

If you did hit a plateau, it always takes some kind of advice to get over it. If you really did post replays and people really ignored them on purpose (because, you know, the Internet is such a crazy place that has a wealth of info being poured into as you read this), then maybe you need more persistence in getting the advice you seek, or maybe you should just PM someone to actually help you out.

I could be wrong, but I feel like this game is more matchup knowledge and good reads while almost totally lacking any real necessity in the execution department (see untrained MK's beating up on fully rehearsed execution based characters and Falco's chain grab + laser camping dominating half the other characters). Obviously there are exceptions (I still haven't learned IC's CGs because they really aren't "learn in 3 minutes" techniques and I couldn't give a **** to spend 12-27 extra minutes to learn it), and Sonic seems to be one of those exceptions (but doesn't X use Sonic '08?)

So the question is what exactly do you feel your problem is? Do you lack matchup knowledge? Do you have the theory of matchup knowledge down but the theory isn't translating too well in the actual match because of other **** that comes up (like people countering the strats that Sonic would need to use to win)? Are you simply just not as good as the people you play and maybe you just need to level up gradually starting with players that aren't as good because it seems like all you ever play are people that are better than you? Maybe you just need to play the computer a few games (I don't give a **** what anyone says, you CAN learn things from playing the computer... but a lot of the times, it's simple, minor bull**** that most people don't know but the game knows... like, Vega's claw, for example, has plenty of range and speed, but no priority at all in most games, and gets stuffed by 90% of every attack in the history of Street Fighter).

Maybe the advice that you need has nothing to do with Sonic. Or any one character, for that matter. A lot of the time when I get over plateaus in other games, it's due to either learning something about the game itself, learning something from another character, or learning something about the psychology of fighting games in general.

Like, the most recent thing I "learned" about top player game play is that the difference between a top player and a intermediate player is how they see the game. You'll see top players do **** that theoretically doesn't make sense (see Daigo doing a Dragon Punch simply because the command exists) and when other players try to emulate it, they get smashed (see random player whiff random Dragon Punch and eat an Ultra upon landing). It's because with intermediate players, they see and play the game as a science, but as a top player, they see and play the game as an art.

When I read this, my Chun Li in Super Turbo exploded off whatever plateau I was at. I don't just play matchups anymore, I do whatever the **** I want within the context of the matchup (assuming I know the matchup... I still don't really know how to fight T.Hawk, Honda, and Bison, even though she supposedly wins those relatively easily.) I can hang with top players much better, even if I'm still losing the overall sets, and I'm having waaaay more fun with the game, even against Hawk, Honda, and Bison, the matchups I don't know.

And at the end of the day, this is definitely something that Sirlin didn't teach: having fun within the context of playing to win. You can have fun while not playing to win, and you can play to win, but not have fun doing it. I think that when you are "having fun" "playing to win," then you can explode off of plateaus that you may be on. And then your mind might be able to pick up **** that you may or may not have been doing wrong. I would like to believe that minds learn the most when the situation is fun (second only to when in danger).

Hopefully, if you have any psychological or philosophical barriers in playing this game (or any competitive game that you might be involved in playing at a relatively high level (i.e. able to make all your friends hate playing the game with you to the point you're pretty much Attitude Era Triple H) (who, for the uninformed or amnesiac, was a bad-*** WWF heel during the height of wrestling in the 90s that everyone pretty much wanted to see lose because he was so good at being bad), then that might have put some cracks in the wall.

tl;dr version: I like to write. Read the ****ing wall of text.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPygYyoEaCI
Loveyoulongtime Kyle.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Well the balance between having fun and winning has completely shifted to winning. I've forgotten how to have fun with this game because I lose way too much. Losing doesn't feel like a learning experience anymore. I feel like the "Learn by losing" train took off and it's not coming back. I'm so used to being able to discuss match-ups that I don't know and having someone work with me to get over them.

I'm a kinesthetic learner but somehow, it doesn't translate well in Brawl without some kind of explanation. There are certain match-ups I can put 2 and 2 together and figure out and there are the match-ups that I have to drill constantly and have someone point out mistakes until I don't make as many of them.

At this point it's not even match-ups as it is my overall decision making and gameplay. I fall into patterns and when I see them, I try to fix them mid-match, only to see that literally every scenario isn't working. I still haven't quite grasped how everyone else is so good with Sonic and I'm so bad with him. When I watch videos of Espy, D1aos, Wedge, Speed, KIDGoggles, Kuraudo and Kinzer, I see them do all the same things I do in the same situations and it works while I just get **** on. Basically, "You'll see top players do **** that theoretically doesn't make sense (see Daigo doing a Dragon Punch simply because the command exists) and when other players try to emulate it, they get smashed (see random player whiff random Dragon Punch and eat an Ultra upon landing)."

I am playing Ripple right now and he's destroying me. I've literally had one game that I was doing well and then he beat me senseless and I haven't replicated that same success. I will go watch D1aos style super hard on like every DK he comes across and I will attempt to play the match-up the same way to the T and get beat the **** up.

I want to break my shield button because I shield way too much. I want to eradicate the thought of SDSCs from my head because it leads to the problem above. There is so much wrong with my gameplay and I'm pro-actively talking to other Sonic mains and trying to get as much help and info that I possibly can.

It's not clicking. My brain lighter will not make a flame out of a spark. Despite there being butane in it.

Life

Smash Hero
Excel, I'm still worse than you. lessthanthree

Well, a worse Sonic anyway. I think my Marth is miles ahead of my Sonic now (although we'll see at /hope4) so it might be better.

I'd start by running around without attacking more than you absolutely need to and see how long you can survive. Then you can worry about actually dealing damage. Just something to try I came up with in the time it took me to type this post.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Losing isn't fun, you can I see how the fun's been sucked out of the game due to losing so much. You seriously might need to find players that are not as good as the players you're playing now so that you can actually win and actually get some confidence back.

Still, you simply just might need someone to point out your flaws. That I can't help you with, since, you know, my Sonic is pretty much a Genesis Sonic that likes to Spin Charge more than Spin Dash since the Spin Charge command is down+B, even though the Spin Dash is better by a whole 6(?) frames of invincibility. You might have to keep beating on the door for advice and whatnot.

Theories about why you're not as good as the other Sonics:
1) You just might be trying to copy what they're doing so much that you don't even have your own style. You fall into predictable patterns because you're subconsciously too busy trying to mimic someone you saw that in the end, you're actually a generic Sonic that crazy easy to take out.
2) There might be something fundamental about either Sonic the character or the game in general that you're just not getting. Sonic seems like a relatively complex character for a relatively simple game. If there's something about the character you're not understanding, it could be why you come into patterns and why when you try to break out of said patterns you get rocked. Or maybe the game isn't as simple as it seems... and due to that and some kind of missing understanding about the game itself, you fall into patterns that are ****ing you over.

Ripple's probably ****ing you up because your play style is pretty much downloaded into his head at this point. Try using different characters (see :metaknight: :awesome:) and see what kind of results you get.

Additionally, Sonic just might have a play style that simply isn't compatible with you. See what kind of play style you use in other fighting games and compare it to the play style that is Sonic the Hedgehog in Brawl. It just might not be what you're used to playing, and therefore, you'll have to put your Sonic fandom to the side... (see my Genesis Sonic that does down+B over side+B even though side+B is better)

Edit: Seagull, I wanna mm ur Wolf with my Sega Genesis Sonic. :greenhill:

Top Bottom