• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Life

Smash Hero
And then M2K was all "oh yeah, this is jiggs" and proceeded to pwn Puffster the other two games.

Still better than Sonic can say. (owait, nvm)

Jiggs for high tier.

Most Jiggs board-goers are people with Jiggs seconds IIRC.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hey Espy, what's good about Sonic?

Or rather, what's so good about his so-called gimp game? I'm probably doing something wrong, but all of my kills come from outright killing and not from offstage shenanigans. I'll get Fair and Dair edgeguard kills once a moon, but I feel I could be doing offstage stuff better.
It's not so much Sonic's gimp game that's so extraordinary, in my opinion, but just how well he can apply pressure to most off stage characters. Aside from the beginning of dair, none of our moves are moves that I can define as "gimping tools", really.

Sonic's ability to jump incredibly far off of the stage, threaten the opponent with bairs, fairs, uairs, dairs, HA (lol), spin dashes, spring, and even nair is one hell of a versatile tool. There's virtually no safe zone to stay in off of the level against a Sonic, unless you're Meta Knight.

Sonic can jump out, apply this pressure through his various options, and then make a quick jump back to the level using his absurd recovery options (which can double as pressure if you're in the right position, too).

Again, it's not so much his gimp potential. There isn't much to that. It's just how well Sonic can choke people offstage.

Espy, I've been meaning to ask you this for a little while, but in your estimation is there anybody who is NOT a furry? Srsly.

(Also, what's good about Sonic?)
I don't know. There's a line there that separates the two, but it's different based on your perspective of the whole shtick. Personally for me? Sure, there are those who can not be furry.

However, the odds are quite impractical.

Ice Climbers. What does sonic legitimately have over them. And what do you think of my style (forcing them to make mistakes through blatent pressure and aggression) compared to iyo, the optimal way to play the matchup. be specific and point out as many individual situations as you like.
Sonic can run away from them with incredible ease. He can separate them with almost no problem at all if you choose your punish options appropriately. He hurts them very hard off of the level since their recovery sucks regardless of single or double Climbers.

The only thing Sonic has issues with in the match up is how well Ice Climbers can cover up the holes that Sonic exploits. Walls of blizzards, ice blocks, and whatnot are tough, but each one of them has a certain pattern that Sonic can punish, or fake out the player.

I will say that if an Ice Climbers would play 100% perfect, that it would probably be more in their favor. However, that assumes they never screw up desynchs, they always select the proper choices when desynching, and they don't get provoked during Sonic's fake approaches (for example, running near them as their blizzard finishes more often than not make them react). It's improbable to assume they'll be perfect.

So what do you do? Combine real punishes on errors in desynchs (or just bad option choices). Milk this as hard as you can by separating them, and then keeping them separated. Sonic is incredibly good at making sure Popo never gets near Nana. Provoke the IC main to make a movement to fake outs (or real approaches if you are trying to read or condition them). Typically, they'll want to either blizzard or pivot grab (assuming that you will run into them). Force them into a bad stage positioning (near the ledge, perhaps) with this. Also, you can always apply pressure with the spins, but this needs to be done with a lot of precision, or else you'll be getting grabbed often.

My only problem with your style is that the aggression against a character who obviously has decent methods of walling out Sonic is only asking for punishments that the ICs can easily dish out. The aggression makes you more prone to errors, and in this match up, the different in the number of errors either player can make is convoluted based entirely off of how well you can separate and KO them, and how well they can chaingrab you. It can literally boil down to "winner is whoever gets hit first", though that's very extreme.

The aggression itself is the problem. If you're not careful (I'm assuming that you can never be always careful, else you'd never get hit, obviously), you'll get grabbed, and then you are KO'd if they can 0-death you.

I haven't seen your vids vs. ICs in a bit, so I'd have to check up on that. For the sake of the conversation though, you want to, again, be separating them ASAP, and keeping them that way. Sonic has very easy ways to deal with an approaching Pop while trying to gimp/KO Nana.

If all else fails, remember that running and camping is also a powerful option against the ICs. If you have the lead, the pressure you put on ICs to land that grab is INSANE.

If I need to get more into this, I will. Sorry it took so long to respond.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
My wall of text murdered activity in here.

Downloading the whole thing. I'll hear it out later tonight.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Too bad none of the songs scream out "BRSTM this" like Flying Batteries does. But they are great songs.

My favorite is probably the remix of the boss theme and the final zone. Not often you hear remixes for that.
:phone:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There's probably only one song in the entire track that I'd want to BRSTM.
I think the problem is that a lot of the tracks use ingame stock sound effects, and for me, I personally don't like adding songs like that into my Brawl.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Isnt playing 2010 olympics basically the same as 2012. Like what more could they possibly add?

But then again that hasn't stopped all these NBA, football, baseball and golf games from rolling out year after year.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Same goes for Mario Party, but that manages to restyle itself with each game.

I can imagine this to be the same way. The Winter Olympics game was superior to the original, so maybe this one will be better still.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Mario Party is the same general idea, but each one has all news minigames (even if half of them are rehashed, like the obligatory treadmill games). You can't just add random new olympic events. Not to mention mario party has had some amazing stuff to keep it fresh. Have you played Mario Party DS? AMAZINGLY GOOD.

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
Henderson & Downtown Express, Las Vegas, NV
*crickets chirp*

If they do another Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, what Olympic games can they add? The only thing I can think of is just modifying the older ones.

I'm really not into Mario Party since I usually don't have anyone to play with...also I think the computer cheats.

BSP

Smash Legend
So what's Generations about? Sonic 3 and Knux in 2.5D?

I'd buy that

btw is anyone up for some wifi later? Sonic dittos or anything? I have a tournament next weekend and I need to get ready.

And one more thing: Edge Slip.

We can't tech it on BF...has anyone gotten punished for this? Should we be more wary of starting there?

Life

Smash Hero
That better not be all Wii gets for Sonic's 20th.

Sega satiating the old grudge on the company that knocked them out of hardware? Or just lol?

Also, this thread barely moved since the last time I logged in. Sigh.

Tenki

Smash Hero
the other night, I found out a trigun movie came out

and so i watched it on megavideo or something

In one of those establishing shots where they show the outside of a building during a serious moment, I caught something in the animation at about 00:46:30.

There was an out-of-focus guard airhumping:

dat bump
:093:

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mg5d_ihU2Q

Two questions.

1. I thought there's no shield pushback from a powershield, so why did the CPU fall off the platform?

2. The CPU fell pretty far off from a weak jab. Does that mean if Sonic gets hit by a strong attack we can DI even further away from the platform? (potentially not get punished?)

@BSP: I can wifi you whenever if you want.

edit: Snake is gay.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I can agree with that.
Especially smart snakes.

Simple snake = ftilt, utilt, jab repeat.

Smart snake = plant c4 and prox mines according to stage and throw grenades to create traps. Dthrow, roll away from grenade into C4/prox mine joined explosion. Regrab, bthrow, try to outsmart them. Get Fair spiked.

-.-

BSP

Smash Legend
This is what I think of when I think Snake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_nsvDeUYg

Lives through everything, then evens the % gap in two reads, then kills you.

Bull****

Edit: just played some wifi matches with him. You can feel how stupid he is on there lol. He wins vs everyone with that lag factor :cool:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
HD Green Hill Zone looks gorgeous.

And Classic Sonic has his Spin Dash and Spin Attack. He may also have his Whirl-o-feet.

Loving the hype for Generations now.

:phone:

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i just finished shatting rings . Think i got enough to get 99 lives. I'm extremely hyped but there only one problem.... i have no working 360 to play this on nor a ps3 or money to purchase or fix my 360. :( Why must Sega always do this to me.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_noticia.php?id=cw4dac4aa853a0d&pic=GEN

Sooooooo Classic Sonic stages uses enhanced 16-bit music. Hell yeah. And Modern Sonic stages take a spin on the theme.

Holy **** C. Sonic still goes through his running animation when he runs off a hill or up a incline into the air.

Actually going to the waterfalls in GHZ? Hell, going through them? Yes please.

Rail portion eaten by giant Jaws enemy = SA1 allusion. Sweet.

Hype hype hype.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
2 sonics... oh God, twice the amount of suck!

just kidding, I hope the new game will be good. On that note, why is that I was so adamant about maining sonic, and then freakin' ITT beat me in a Sonic Ditto MM so bad and I just was "augh! leather belt" and stopped playing him?

*sigh*... Sonic.. You were so hyped for and I wanted to play you...And you failed me. Sounds like a familiar problem I'm having with your GAMES!!! D:

Top Bottom