• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
I wonder if they had any other notable Sonics other than RATS.

@Shado: Never did. Never willlllllll.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Tell them that all of their Sonic mains are bad, and should feel bad for maining such a bad character.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Espy you're so mean to people not in the Steak clan. Why? :(

I don't know, it would be nice to know if any of them keep up with Sonic boards. Then again if they did that they probably already know how to speak English and they only thing that keeps them from introducing themselves is that we're scary (at first).

...And it probably doesn't get any less strange even after they are welcomed in. >_>

infomon

Smash Scientist
tell them to go on a winning steak.

the meme must spread further, mwahaha

:093:

^^ also tell them to do this.

:093: lots of this.

bwahahaha

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
Japan, where's that...

Neat little AT's, I found something that may or may not be new. I can get sonic's fsmash to go roughly 2x further than a regular stutterstep fsmash. For testing purposes, I used the length of FD. It takes approx 23-24 stutterstep smashes to get across the level. With this new way I can bridge the whole level in 10-11 smashes.

The idea is to tap the stick forward before doing the stutterstep smash. This gives you a bit of a boost and makes sonics fsmash go ridiculously far. It is just tap forward>tap back>C-stick direction.

Again, not sure if it's new, but i thought id share. Ill try to get a vid of it soon.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So basically a dash dance stutter step fsmash?
ya
Japan, where's that...

Neat little AT's, I found something that may or may not be new. I can get sonic's fsmash to go roughly 2x further than a regular stutterstep fsmash. For testing purposes, I used the length of FD. It takes approx 23-24 stutterstep smashes to get across the level. With this new way I can bridge the whole level in 10-11 smashes.

The idea is to tap the stick forward before doing the stutterstep smash. This gives you a bit of a boost and makes sonics fsmash go ridiculously far. It is just tap forward>tap back>C-stick direction.

Again, not sure if it's new, but i thought id share. Ill try to get a vid of it soon.
You should try foxtrot > fsmash. You might be able to clear it in like 3-4 lol.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol

I messed around with some silly VSDJ shenanigans, specifically reverse VSDJ > B-air. The guy probably didn't know the matchup, but it was still strange to see how effective it was in hiding the direction I was facing.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I don't know why people like jab locks. If people know what they're doing, they just smash DI away from you.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't know why people like jab locks. If people know what they're doing, they just smash DI away from you.
hm

But either way, if you can get one jab in, you force them to do their get up animation, and that's exploitable.

Check this out.

B-air>Falcon Punch Brawl true-combo (NOT knee trip > falcon punch, I mean that they can't do anything after the B-air lol).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZfpG-fKGb8

if they miss the tech, chase and hit with weak B-air so that it forces the jablock bounce, there's enough lag to falcon punch it. legitimately.

For Sonic, this can mean anything ranging from:
- a free grab > pummel > U-throw (or whatever) [move refresh/damage]
- a charged smash [knockback/kill attempt]
- an ASC 2x + aerial combo [25%+ damage]
- side-B > footstool or SLOW [re setup for say, ROB or just techchase..?]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQaX_wg72a4
0:05 - 0:20 exploits the bounce.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
hm

For Sonic, this can mean anything ranging from:
- a free grab > pummel > U-throw (or whatever) [move refresh/damage]
- a charged smash [knockback/kill attempt]
- an ASC 2x + aerial combo [25%+ damage]
- side-B > footstool or SLOW [re setup for say, ROB or just techchase..?]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQaX_wg72a4
0:05 - 0:20 exploits the bounce.

So if it applies to the situation on that vid, side b can be used to punish people ad'ing into the ground right? Shado does this mostly from uthrow. uthrow>dash a bit> side B> footstool. So this is basically a good way to get some damage in...hmm...

VSDJ is nice. When in doubt, use some vsdj to make some people clueless. (but dont spam eet. >_<

Tenki

Smash Hero
So if it applies to the situation on that vid, side b can be used to punish people ad'ing into the ground right? Shado does this mostly from uthrow. uthrow>dash a bit> side B> footstool. So this is basically a good way to get some damage in...hmm...

VSDJ is nice. When in doubt, use some vsdj to make some people clueless. (but dont spam eet. >_<
yep!

As I don't have Brawl with me atm (lol, finals week moooode), can you see if it's possible to do a sideB > footstool > spring (for bounce) > D-air (to land) > SH ASC their getup?

Specifically, if the spring bounce knocks them the opposite direction of your D-air.

If that's possible, it would be pretty awesome -
low %:
sideB > footstool> spring (for bounce) > ASC > footstool > spring for bounce > ASC combo (or if not, at least, U-throw) final punishment.

It's interesting -

We used to try to pull side-B > footstool > spring > D-air for jab locks, but using it specifically to exploit the bounce ...

hot.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
So I experimented pretty hard with the silly little rementioning thing that SonicOrochi did.

It's why I didn't get any sleep last night.

Anyways, once I get some rest, I'll post my findings. Stay tuned.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Nah, screw it. I'll just post my findings here:

Everyone should already know about "ledgeshooting". If not, go watch SonicOrochi's videos.

Obviously, Sonic can do this at any angle or distance from the ledge (for example, when recovering), just as long as the spinshot doesn't grab the ledge.

Ledgeshooting high results in Sonic moving over a distance of land near the ledge while being above it. This allows for aerials. Be aware that using aerials practically stops Sonic's horizontal movement. The angle at which you ledgeshoot judges how far you will move above the level.

Ledgeshooting low results in Sonic sliding over a distance of land near the ledge. Doing so allows for any Smash or tilt, as well as all variations of grabs (so you can pivot grab, Dash attack cancel grab, stutter step fsmash, etc). The angle at which you ledgeshoot judges how far you will slide on the level.

Specials are all also available during either variation of the ledgeshoot.

There's very little difference between DownB and SideB ledgeshots. The only difference is that downB can be done slightly faster. Most stages don't require speedy ledgeshoots unless you want to ledgeshoot high.

At the very least, learning how to ledgeshoot with DownB alone is more difficult, but it's the most flexible. SideB is much, MUCH easier, but it sacrifices the ability to quickly ledgeshoot high (you can still ledgeshoot high, just not as fast as with downB).

DownB also has more risks involved since it's slightly more technical.

I'd say learn both. DownB is more flexible, but SideB has much, much more room for error.

=====

My experience with ledgeshooting on the levels:

I used the MLG Stages for experimenting, and even so, most levels are consistent so long as they share the same type of grounding as other levels. Keep that in mind.

This is only going to cover sliding, grounded ledgeshots, since air ledgeshots are pretty much universal to the levels. This will also only cover ledgeshooting from the point where you are grabbing the edge, since ledgeshooting is much, MUCH easier to execute at any other point off of any given level (probably be better to call that variant the spinshot, because that's all it is: a spinshot off of the level).

Again, to clarify:

Spinshot: Everyone knows what this is.

Ledgeshot: A spinshot done after falling off the ledge of a level.

Battlefield: Properly done (aim so that Sonic just passes the lowest point of the ledge), Sonic slides toward those fancy blue circular designs on the ground (about a little less than half the length of BF). Both sides function the same. Again, aim so that Sonic's body just passes the lowest point of the edge.

Castle Siege: Can't do it on here. At all. The first transformation keeps you stuck underneath the ledges, the second transformation has no ledges to do this with, and the third, no matter at what angle, sends you straight down toward the blast zone. On the first transformation, you are able to wall jump back to the edge, however.

Delfino Plaza: Can't slide here at all. None of the formations allow it. Aerial ledgeshoots are possible, however, and while on the main, floating platforms, aerial ledgeshooting properly (with downB, and as soon as possible) sends you to the complete opposite end of the platform.

Final Destination: Can't do it here. Ledge doesn't allow it. You are able to wall jump back to the ledge, however.

Halberd: Can't slide directly from the ledge on the floating portion. If you execute a ledgeshoot at a certain timing, you DO slide on the level starting at about the mid point of the main platform and move toward the angled portion.

As for the level on the actual ship, yes, you can slide. However, a mistimed ledgeshot sends you straight down instead. Recover is possible, but keep in mind that you are without a second jump. Your only real options are upB and wall jumps. In other words, mistiming on this section of the level is very dangerous. Be sure to be able to consistently ledgeshoot here.

The sliding distance is pretty good, too.

Lylat Cruise: Not possible to ledgeshoot. You fall right under the level.

Pokémon Stadium: Not possible. You get stuck under the lip. You are able to wall jump back, however.

Smashville: This is one of the better levels to execute this. The range for sliding is just as good as Battlefield. The timing for a proper ledgeshot is the same as well (just as Sonic passes the bottom of the level, rather than passing the end of the ledge for Battlefield).

Yoshi’s Island: Brawl: Because of the angles, this level makes a great place for ledgeshooting. Proper ledgeshots take you about 1/3 of the way into the level.

Though not a focus of this section, spinshots from any other area off the level gives for a much better sliding distance. Spinshotting directly onto either ledge sends you practically 1/2 of the distance of the level.

Ledgeshooting is unable to do this because of the distance you are at when doing a ledgeshot.

Brinstar: This level is funky. When the green portion of the floor attaches the level together, ledgeshots from the left ledge pop you up at the top of the destructible floor. You slide pretty much the distance starting at the left of the green wall, and to the right of it and onto the actual level.

Destroying the wall still allows you to land on it during a ledgeshot from the left, and you still slide even after destroying a small number of them (I believe after 4-5 of them are destroyed, you simply land).

It's impossible to ledgeshot on this level (aerial or ground) otherwise. You simply don't rise high enough to slide on the level.

Frigate Orpheon: Starting transformation is tough to ledgeshot on. It's impossible on the left ledge due to the top part jutting out. Doing a ledgeshoot results in getting sent down and toward the stage.

Spinshotting from below the lip on this level, however, results in an autosnap ledge grab. Pretty handy.

The right side only lets you slide so long as the moving platform isn't below you. The timing is almost the same as Battlefield and Smashville (for this level, you time it so that Sonic's just about to pass the bottom of the level when you release. The distance is decent, but not to the same degree as Battlefield or Smashville.

For the second transformation, ledgeshots have the same risk vs. reward factor as Halberd. They slide for the distance up until the dip towards the center.

Green Greens: I haven't experimented here yet.

Norfair: This level is awkward. I'm only going to discuss the center platform. The timing is, again, similar in that you release it right as you are about to pass the bottom of the level. However, because of the center platform's attributes, you practically warp from the corner under the ledge to a standing animation on the opposite edge of the platform.

You don't slide far, but the distance traveled when you start to slide is pretty decent.

Pictochat: This level shares the exact same results as Yoshi's Island, more or less.

Pokémon Stadium 2: This level...oh boy.
You can do it here, it's possible, but the timing is TIGHT. You MUST be practically frame perfect, and ONLY the DOWNB version works, because it's the only variation fast enough.

Properly timed, you can't even do the sliding ledgeshot. Aerial is the only way, here unless you spinshot from a distance off of the level.

If you screw up? The level sends you straight down and towards the center, and unless you get lucky with that TINY wall you can wall jump on (not the pillar holding the level up, the one above it), or your opponent is within HA distance, you are DEAD.

The risk is incredibly high here. Better just to not ledgeshot. Spinshotting, however, is easy.

Rainbow Cruise: Can't do it on the ship. Left side has a lip (you can wall jump back), and the right side is too low for the ledgeshot to reach, even aerially. It only allows for a regrab of the ledge.

Technically, any other portion of Rainbow Cruise is spinshotting from a distance, so I won't cover that here. However, during the swinging platform, you could probably get a good slide by spinshotting into it while it's at an upward angle.
=====

Other things to mention:

On Yoshi's Island and Pictochat, mistiming the downB by fastfalling into a spinshot from the ledge results in a regrab of the ledge if you spinshot fast enough. Same applies to other levels with large vertical walls (possibly Green Greens too).

You can regulate the distance of your ledgeshot in two distinct ways:

1: Timing the ledgeshot: By spinshotting during a certain time after the ledge drop, you alter the distance at which you travel.

2: Controlling your ledgeshot prior to landing on the level: During the spinshot, and before you land on the level for the sliding portion, if you hold back, you slow down the speed at which you spinshot travels (though you can't SEE this because you are typically hugging the wall. This can be seen very well on Smashville or Battlefield). This alters the sliding distance your character can travel.

=====

Anyways, I might make a video or provide pictures sometime down the line, but until then, that's what I experienced while messing around with spinshots and ledgeshots.

Still need to test Green Greens too.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeah.

If only you elaborated on it...

If only, if only.
Not to mention you were wrong about several things. Meh, the info's down, so that's all that matters.

Trent

Smash Champion
Screw the TYD, Gems collection was worth the 8 bucks.

So I was lurking the Pika social thread, and their first post has like, player profiles and such. I thought that'd be cool to do for the Sawniks maybe.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh, that’s interesting.

hah, sort of a way to familiarize new people (?) with regulars of the boards lol.

Or(/and) we can just put the steak tree there.
hah.

Top Bottom