• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sexist Sakurai - The fall of women in Brawl

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
How was I getting all the crap for the joke thread? How was I to know? Look at some of the posts, not everyone thinks this is a joke and they're getting up in arms about this!

Hey, but now that I'm thinking about it...anyone notice how many white guys there are in this game?

No Japanese guys in Brawl? Sakurai is racist.
Hardly any characters made in Japan looks like they're really Japanese

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Your not racist if the race you hate is your own

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Nana is a girl. Jigglypuff can be either boy or girl but is probably a girl. Come to think of it, ALL the pokemon could be women, although, with the exception of Jiggs, they are usually presumed to be Male.

And R.O.B., sure, s/he has a boy's name, but how do we know what gender is programmed into that bot? R.O.B. may be robosexual, instantly making SSBB one of the most diverse games!

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Nana is a girl. Jigglypuff can be either boy or girl but is probably a girl. Come to think of it, ALL the pokemon could be women, although, with the exception of Jiggs, they are usually presumed to be Male.

And R.O.B., sure, s/he has a boy's name, but how do we know what gender is programmed into that bot? R.O.B. may be robosexual, instantly making SSBB one of the most diverse games!
LMAO Robosexual..

Darkslash

Smash Master

Well seeing that Sakurai says the R.O.B squad are guys and the
Acient minister is a Guy too
safe to say R.O.B is a guy

But Robosexual made me lol

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
The only reasons you people want more feminems in Smash is because all you want to do is take dirty upskirt pictures of their pixely bits while you masticate to them and ejaculate your chance of getting into heaven away into the face of an innocent kleenex.

You sick, dirty perverts. I hope a 5$ call girl steps on your naughty bits with a stiletto.

Burn in hellfire. :mad:
I don't see a problem with that :D

Mystery XIII

Smash Rookie
How was I getting all the crap for the joke thread? How was I to know? Look at some of the posts, not everyone thinks this is a joke and they're getting up in arms about this!

Hey, but now that I'm thinking about it...anyone notice how many white guys there are in this game?

No Japanese guys in Brawl? Sakurai is racist.
if that's the case i call super racism on majority of the game companies for not addin any bla.... *sigh* why do i try? :dizzy:

Chepe

Smash Lord
Im just surprised that there wasnt at least one other newcomer that was female...

Samus' majority of moves being nerfed didnt bother me because of her gender, but because of her series' lack of representation. If she was destined to be the only character for the Metroid series, then at least she should have remained as well-balanced as she was in Melee. Now she seems to be overly physical and specific in playstyle, and it is one that doesnt really fit her games...

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
sexist ? well if sakurai didnt put jiggly puff in the first game that would be accurate but whos to say jiggly puffs a girl ? *faints*
*Cough* Samus *Cough*

Jiggs is a girl, she wears a flower in her hair, is referred to as a her in snakes codec and has a 75% chance of being female in the pokemon games.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The only reasons you people want more feminems in Smash is because all you want to do is take dirty upskirt pictures of their pixely bits while you masticate to them and ejaculate your chance of getting into heaven away into the face of an innocent kleenex.

You sick, dirty perverts. I hope a 5$ call girl steps on your naughty bits with a stiletto.

Burn in hellfire. :mad:
You do realise that there are already people on other sites making fun of you for this post, right? :laugh:

Rakath

Smash Ace
Samus/Zamus, Zelda/Sheik, Peach are females.

Jigglypuff, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Pikachu's genders can be either male or female (Lucario has a deep voice, but it can still be female).

R.O.B. has no gender.

Marth is also unknown.

38 characters (including PKMN Trainer Pokemon as separate) - 3 females, - 6 unknown genders - 1 genderless - 1 unknown gender:

27 Males
3 Females
7 Unknown
1 Genderless

Wow, a 9:1 ratio of Men to Women in Brawl.

We got ****ed.

While Jigglypuff, the 3 Starters, and Lucario have no Gender tells, Pikachu does.

Pikachu is clearly male, if you don't know why you are either:
1. Uninformed as to the existance of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
2. A Communist.

While Jigglypuff has no direct gender tells, wearing LeafBlue's hat sorta hints at the 'girl' aspect of her...

Also, 10 pages of this thread, no mention that, not even a chapter into SSE, Zelda and Peach are kidnapped. I mean come on, couldn't they go a WHOLE FREAKIN' CHAPTER before being turned into cagedancers?

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Ha, thats one way to look at it. I think more girls means general female empowerment etc...

That said, in the SSE, both zelda and peach both get turned into trophies, both of them end up being damsels in distress.

Maybe sakurai IS sexist, or at least has a very traditional look on women.
I pointed this out very early on. Peach and Zelda, true to there roles in there own series, end up being the people that need rescuing.

If someone tried to kidnap Samus however, they'd have another thing coming.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Ah, good, I'm happy I just overlooked it and that it was mentioned... and it was a really easy kidnap too.

I made this right after they reveiled that part of SSE's plot (video of Mario getting pwned and Kirby turning around to find not one, but TWO kidnapped princesses), as I thought "Man... those girls are easy..."

Eggman

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, they should have put more females in. I'm male, but I have female friends who play Melee (NO JOKE) with me, and they wanted more females. Looking at it, I realized that there could EASILY be other female choices, like Krystal, Paula, Lyn (if she wasn't an AT), and so on. Personally, I was VERY surprised that Wolf got in over Krystal (not that I don't like Wolf, just that I expected Krystal over him). I guess Nintendo is sexist.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=254

Chepe

Smash Lord
But the thing is, he did say he added Zero Suit Samus thinking he wanted to add more females to Brawl... and he even admits she isnt a "pure character addition."

So 1 out of the 15ish new characters was enough? And from what it looks like it seems that Brawl's poll only served to include a select few characters and will be used mostly for a SSB4 if it comes. Most of what we got this time was from the Melee polls..

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Yeah, they should have put more females in. I'm male, but I have female friends who play Melee (NO JOKE) with me, and they wanted more females. Looking at it, I realized that there could EASILY be other female choices, like Krystal, Paula, Lyn (if she wasn't an AT), and so on. Personally, I was VERY surprised that Wolf got in over Krystal (not that I don't like Wolf, just that I expected Krystal over him). I guess Nintendo is sexist.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=254
What's so suprising about a girl playing Smash? I play Smash, and I'm pretty good at it.

More females woulda been cool, but it didn't happen -_- I wanted Krystal playable :(

Meira

Smash Rookie
NNID
Meiraz
3DS FC
1762-3961-1329
I was kinda hoping for at least one more female character and all I could come up with was Krystal and obviously she didn't make it into playable. The only reason i even considered her in the first place was because I wanted a starfox charcater that wasn't "BLASTERAN, SHINAN, FIREFOXAN"

Aside from that I really don't mind the female to male ratio. I just wanna play.

edit: THIS JOKE THREAD IS LACKING JOKES.

That is all. :)

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I'm still kinda surprised that they allowed Link and Mario to "kill" Peach and Zelda by turning them into trophies in SSE. In Link's version he doesn't even try to reason with Peach...he straight up executes her. :laugh:

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
What's so suprising about a girl playing Smash? I play Smash, and I'm pretty good at it.

More females woulda been cool, but it didn't happen -_- I wanted Krystal playable :(
Ismar... I don't get you at all :dizzy:

But I agree more females would have been cool.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
...Zamus ?
Zero Suit Samus = Zamus, ZSS or Nekkid Samus. :D

Anyway, I was hoping for more females in Brawl just for diversity's sake. Too much ***** in one game, I tell you!

^-^"

But anyway, I think it's way too early to be talking about tiers, for those who have mentioned that in this thread. Peach is still pretty freaking good and Zamus needs MUCH more testing before we determine that she should receive a lower spot on any tier list. Zelda's much better and Sheik is a little worse, blah blah blah, we really need a LOT more time with the game (like at least a year) before coming up with a tier list.

By the way, ROB will be on the top. Seriously, he's a murderer.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I think this article says a lot that I just found

http://nintendoworldreport.com/editorialArt.cfm?artid=546

Note, I am one of the exceptions to guy gamers, many times in fighting games, I pick the female characters that can kick butt, because they usually kick but in the fighting style that fits best for me.

Like Christie Monteiro from Tekken 4 who uses Capoeira, which is an awesome fighting style, or Malin or Momoko in King of Fighters XI which I play in my arcade. If Krystal had been in Brawl, I would have mained her, because she's an awesome character and if given her staff she could have had an awesome fighting style.

Top Bottom