• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sexist Sakurai - The fall of women in Brawl

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
It's just Nintendo's (and pretty much all other companies) that are "sexist". There are far more gaming icons who are male than there are female.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
First off, to the couple people responding to my comment. Take a joke.

And who's making a stink about Zelda and Peach getting captured? Have you never PLAYED a Mario or Zelda game? They are THE damsels in distress. No disrespect to either character (even though THEY'RE NOT REAL) But EVERY Zelda and Mario game's point is to SAVE one of them.
How about the fact that Peach's Dojo page says:
"She can silence both Mario and Bowser with her floating jumps and Toad defense. This is no time to get kidnapped."

What's the first thing that happens in the SSE? She gets... kidnapped.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
"We got a three sistah limit".

That says something? -brick'd- However, I agree. Maybe some more womans as PC wouldn't hurt, but Assist Trophies doesn't count?

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
You know, this might have started out as a joke thread, but keep in mind that the Japanese are still very much a male-centric society. So yeah, there might be some truth behind the lulz.

["We want to add more bad guys and more females"]

"Well atleast he kinda did the first part."

Yeah he kinda... didn't... not... undo... the first part either...

Who are the new bad guys? Ridley? Whoops he's a boss... K. Rool? Whooops he's not even in there! Wolf? He flies Fox around on his wing in Assault without trying to clip him off into a building. Dedede is just an obese penguin with delusions of grandeur and metaknight is in the same category as Wolf. CMON SAKURAI! WHAR BADGUI?!

Drums

Smash Rookie
Hm...
1) Zelda is amazing now. Din's fire alone is enough to make her mid-high.
2) Since when was Samus nerfed into oblivion? She won't be as high as she was in melee, but she certainly won't be low tier. Have you seen the aerial grapple? Or how crazy fast her normal missiles come out now? Or her ******* amazing up B out of shield?

I know it's a joke thread, but...doesn't seem to me that the ladies overall got nerfed that badly. I could be wrong though...

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
I wanted Mai Shiranui in Brawl...

And everyone knows Sakurai can do without females because he's such a bishie anyway. (No homo)

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
And Yoshi is known for being merely a vehicle for Mario to ride on. Your point being?

And why did he even bother saying "This is no time to get kidnapped"?

First off, you seriously comparing Yoshi to Peach? He was a vehicle for one game, his series took off and he's known for his own games now. Peach has what, Super Princess Peach? Yeah that was a stellar title.

Besides Mario 2 (which technically, outside of the U.S. wasn't even supposed to be a Mario game) Peach is captured, and Mario has to rescue her.

Mario Bros, Mario 3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy.

Practically all of the main Mario games consists of Mario saving Peach. Why aren't you giving Bowser crap for being a bad guy in Subspace? That's all he's known for in the Mario games. Ganon's a bad guy too, holy crap!

Look, I'm all for equality, I don't judge people based on gender. But seriously, the people whining about this stuff is absolutley ridiculous. It's sexist because it has more guys than girls? Because the ratio isn't to your liking is makes Sakurai a sexist? Zelda and Peach are kidnapped? Don't they eventually get out? Don't you get to play them? Don't you get the chance to beat the crap out of the guys that rescue them all the time? They've been getting kidnapped since the eighties. What about Samus? Why isn't anyone bringing her up? She's hardcore as hell. Why isn't anyone talking about her? Oh she's just ONE girl? So she doesn't count or something?

This thread is absolutley ridiculous.

holymarth007

Smash Journeyman
First off, you seriously comparing Yoshi to Peach? He was a vehicle for one game, his series took off and he's known for his own games now. Peach has what, Super Princess Peach? Yeah that was a stellar title.

Besides Mario 2 (which technically, outside of the U.S. wasn't even supposed to be a Mario game) Peach is captured, and Mario has to rescue her.

Mario Bros, Mario 3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy.

Practically all of the main Mario games consists of Mario saving Peach. Why aren't you giving Bowser crap for being a bad guy in Subspace? That's all he's known for in the Mario games. Ganon's a bad guy too, holy crap!

Look, I'm all for equality, I don't judge people based on gender. But seriously, the people whining about this stuff is absolutley ridiculous. It's sexist because it has more guys than girls? Because the ratio isn't to your liking is makes Sakurai a sexist? Zelda and Peach are kidnapped? Don't they eventually get out? Don't you get to play them? Don't you get the chance to beat the crap out of the guys that rescue them all the time? They've been getting kidnapped since the eighties. What about Samus? Why isn't anyone bringing her up? She's hardcore as hell. Why isn't anyone talking about her? Oh she's just ONE girl? So she doesn't count or something?

This thread is absolutley ridiculous.

I agree, this thread is ridiculious. However, it's also...a joke. Lol.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
ndm508 takes life way too seriously :laugh:

But I agree, more boobs plox. At least the women-hitting people would get some distraction when more women get to join the fight in the next installment. Instead of beating up their wives (and probably molesting their daughters) they can beat up virtual girls (and probably give the suggestion of molesting them with Donkey Kong, although you can't deny the fact that women fall for hairy apes and hairy... bananas).

ConeZone

Smash Ace
yes, not a lot of "female representation" besides zero suit...oh well. it is is named smash BROTHERS. i think that stands for something

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
ndm508 takes life way too seriously :laugh:

But I agree, more boobs plox. At least the women-hitting people would get some distraction when more women get to join the fight in the next installment. Instead of beating up their wives (and probably molesting their daughters) they can beat up virtual girls (and probably give the suggestion of molesting them with Donkey Kong, although you can't deny the fact that women fall for hairy apes and hairy... bananas).
Oh God, this post is so wrong... :laugh:

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Well theres some good females:

Micaiah or any other FE females
Lip
Krystal
Ashley
Midna
Birdo
Dixie
Amy Rose

I was hoping for Lip and Micaiah.

O and Nana is female = half and Jigglypuff = male or female so add another half that adds +1 to the number of females in Brawl.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I would have liked dixie as well.

Hair helicopter recovery would have been cool.

And where did the "diddy and dixie like Ice climbers" rumour start? I seriously wouldn't have liked that idea.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
And I thought Sakurai was bad enough for not adding in another new female character, but then he goes and nerfs the ones already in the game. I do think Sakurai is a bit sexist.

He could have at least put in Krystal... there were also Midna and Micaiah as strong possibilities. If they had put in Isaac or Felix as playable, he could have put in Jenna. There were also the Wario Ware girls, the other Fire Emblem girls, there were tons options he could have put in, but he chose not to.

Like I said, Krystal was the most obvious chose, even Nintendo Power Europe thought she would have been the next playable character at one point. Midna and Micaiah were the other two strong choices with good popularity.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Samus/Zamus, Zelda/Sheik, Peach are females.

Jigglypuff, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, and Pikachu's genders can be either male or female (Lucario has a deep voice, but it can still be female).

R.O.B. has no gender.

Marth is also unknown.

38 characters (including PKMN Trainer Pokemon as separate) - 3 females, - 6 unknown genders - 1 genderless - 1 unknown gender:

27 Males
3 Females
7 Unknown
1 Genderless

Wow, a 9:1 ratio of Men to Women in Brawl.

We got ****ed.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
there arent too many good female nintendo characters anyway.
Gee, I wonder why.

Could it be because most of the people involved in Nintendo games are male and their games are aimed towards males who would feel threatened by a strong female protagonist?

Samochan

Smash Master
Gee, I wonder why.

Could it be because most of the people involved in Nintendo games are male and their games are aimed towards males who would feel threatened by a strong female protagonist?
QFT

We had samus for a while for a strong, independant, non-sex appeal female... but now she's made into sex icon with her zss suit... bwaaaa... ._.

I dunno whether I'm happy or sad about the games made after super metroid, cause I love prime but I don't like how samus's character has been portrayed in recent metroid games. >_>

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Birdo is male.
According to the trophy description, it still isn't resolved.
A pink creature of indeterminate
gender that some say would rather
be called Birdetta. A big ribbon
on its head is its most
distinguishing feature. In Super
Mario Bros. 2, you can return fire
on Birdo by jumping on the eggs
shot from its mouth. Be careful not
to get psyched out by fake-egg
fireballs!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
According to the trophy description, it still isn't resolved.
The original SMB manual states he's a cross-dresser. Then they ret-conned it by saying it's a "her" for a while. Now they've gone back to the original position, only they've left it "ambiguous" to not upset the Soccer Moms.

I believe Nintendo once outright stated in an interview that Birdo is indeed male.

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
Maybe Sakurai was going to put Birdo in as a PC, but when he found out she was actually a he, he decided to drop the whole gender-confused dinosaur thing and gave up with all women.

Dixie Kong and King K. Rool would've satisfied the desire for more villains, girls, and DK representation.

Top Bottom