• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sexist Sakurai - The fall of women in Brawl

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is a joke thread and a humourous observation thread. If the mods feel it breaches some kind of rules, please feel free to close it.

Does anyone remember how great it was that in Melee, three out of the four female characters were high up on the tierlist? Sheik, Peach and Samus were both in the upper two tiers of Melee.

In Brawl, every single female character is set to be mid or below besides possibly Zelda or Sheik/Zelda if you use Sheik for damage and then switch to Zelda for the KO. The rest, Peach, Samus and Zamus are set to be Mid or lower, especially Samus who pretty much sucks now.

Conspiracy theorists anyone? I mean, did Samus really need that much nerfing?! She wasn't even Top Tier or among the top of High Tier! Maybe Sakurai just doesn't like women very much and though it absurd that so many women were high up on the Tierlist in Melee and decided to therefore nerf every single one of them into infinity... all except Zelda because she was Bottom tier. But she's not Top Tier Material now so that was just a compromise.

Brawl is the fall of women. How the mighty have fallen.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention the "the next Smash will have more female representation" comment.

heartless-bowser

Smash Rookie
Haha, funny when you take in mind that Sakurai wanted more female characters in Brawl! :laugh:

It's the mindgames again, I tell you.

In all seriousness, I haven't played brawl yet, so I can't really judge- hence that I rarely play with the females in Melee anyway.

Edit: Gah, Bane84 beat me to it. XD

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
I wanted more women in Brawl. I feel that Sakurai went too crazy with the nerf bat also. Sheik, Falcon, Peach, Samus didn't need to be nerfed into oblivion.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
Did you forget Marth? You forgot Marth, didn't you. She's totally top-tier material.

Also, misogyny confirmed for Brawl. tyvm Japan.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I'm not a furry, or a particularly ardent starfox fan. But Krystal should have been in for one simple reason. Her gender.

She may not be "badass" and she may be in sub-par starfox games, but Krystal would have added another female and really is/was the only viable female choice. I stll cannot believe that the only new female char is an origional fighter with her clothes off. Now THATS mysogony.

It's a shame as well about peach/shiek, but from my experience the meta game has simply been broadened. More characters (including the girls) have an actual chance of victory now.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
I have a feeling this "more females" could equate into "more fappable material" and stuff. <_<

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Super Smash Bros. before h0es I guess.

Krystal not being in was really a suprise.

"We want to add more bad guys and more females"

Well atleast he kinda did the first part.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Whew.

Good thing you clarified that it was a joke topic. I would have had to smack you for such a grand (albeit momentary) lapse of judgment. ;)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's a shame as well about peach/shiek, but from my experience the meta game has simply been broadened. More characters (including the girls) have an actual chance of victory now.
How do you they have a better chance of victory when all of them have been nerfed (except Zelda)?

I think he made the comment concerning Brawl. I remember him saying something similar at E3 06 after revealing Brawl to the public and explaining why he added the five newcomers that appear in the trailer.
And we got, um, one new female character (Zamus). Yet he said "characters"?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Sexist Nintendo - The lack of fighting women in Nintendo games

^ That's the reason ^ ;)

I know this is a joke thread, so I'm leaving it at that! XD

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Meh, I don't really call it sexism. It's sexism if they actually give a demeaning reason, but if none exists, then no.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zamus isnt a new female rep, unless samus is gender neutral in her power suit.
Zamus is a new character, though. The only way to switch from Zamus to Samus is by Final Smash, so it's not like Sheik/Zelda where you can just Down B.

But if you wanna do it like that, then Brawl has zero new female characters.

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Cant really say seeing as how its only been out since the 31st of january. They may very well end up being high tier.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
"More women in Brawl! More women in Brawl!"

Am I the only one disturbed at the amount of people who want more women to beat?

Arteen

Smash Lord
There's also Nana and Jigglypuff, I guess...

actually, zamus has a taunt manuever that lets her get her suit back.
You sure? I know Samus can taunt-transform to Zamus, but I haven't seen it the other way around.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace

Am I the only one disturbed at the amount of people who want more women to beat?
Ha, thats one way to look at it. I think more girls means general female empowerment etc...

That said, in the SSE, both zelda and peach both get turned into trophies, both of them end up being damsels in distress.

Maybe sakurai IS sexist, or at least has a very traditional look on women.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I wish there are more females. There are cool to play as. So disappointed with sakurai this time around. He should put both krystal and wolf in.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
actually, zamus has a taunt manuever that lets her get her suit back.
It only works for turning Samus into Zamus, not the other way 'round.

We want more women to beat people up with.

There's also Nana and Jigglypuff, I guess...

You sure? I know Samus can taunt-transform to Zamus, but I haven't seen it the other way around.
Nana isn't new. And Purin was also nerfed greatly. People also debate her gender. I think I once read she's officially a female (at least the SSBM one) but people keep telling me it's never been stated what gender she holds.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
First off, to the couple people responding to my comment. Take a joke.

And who's making a stink about Zelda and Peach getting captured? Have you never PLAYED a Mario or Zelda game? They are THE damsels in distress. No disrespect to either character (even though THEY'RE NOT REAL) But EVERY Zelda and Mario game's point is to SAVE one of them.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Ya know, there's a reason why Snake has THREE cardboard box taunts. It's because of the lack of female representation. He's afraid of turning gay due to the sausage fest the current roster brings. Added to that are the many slash-fictions and -art between him and Otacon. You can understand Snake feels like his sexuality is being assaulted.

Top Bottom