• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sexist Sakurai - The fall of women in Brawl

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
That's just as much of a fact as the fact that you are about 50% female. I think you might want to look up the definition of "statistics".
And ponder why a weak woman would be in a fighting game in the first place.
Or why this statistical realism wouldn't count for children. That must be one really strong stick Lucas is swinging around.
No, it's a fact. Seriously, it's well known. You should be the one looking up. That statment wasn't sexist at all. Women CAN be stronger then Men but Men naturally have more muscles.

Sure, Children might have been not accounted for but those kids have physcic powers which likely affect their strength.

Fawriel

Smash Master
No, it's a fact. Seriously, it's well known. You should be the one looking up. That statment wasn't sexist at all. Women CAN be stronger then Men but Men naturally have more muscles.

Sure, Children might have been not accounted for but those kids have physcic powers which likely affect their strength.
Women CAN be stronger then Men but Men naturally have more muscles.
If a woman's in a fighting game she'll obviously be of the variety who's stronger than your average man! I didn't say your statement was sexist, I only implied that it's ignorant because women are only statistically weaker than men, and statistics do not work that way.

I love emphasizing things. It's like a hobby.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Hmm.

To say Sakurai is Sexist... heh... is probably taking it a bit far.
But, personally, I was really hoping for more female contenders, for the sake of showing just what female fighters could do.
Sadly, looks like that idea was dropped in the gutter. And not only that, the current female fighters (as already pointed out) are some of the most nerfed fighters in the game. It's sad. Very sad. ):

Hopefully, if there's a new director for SSB4... he/she will add a few more and show just what some video game women CAN do here, rather than some being represented in a damsel-in-distress scenario.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
If a woman's in a fighting game she'll obviously be of the variety who's stronger than your average man! I didn't say your statement was sexist, I only implied that it's ignorant because women are only statistically weaker than men, and statistics do not work that way.

I love emphasizing things. It's like a hobby.
Just because she's in a fighting game it doesn't mean that at all.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Ok the reason there are so few female characters is because there aren't enough important eligible characters to put in
seriousley? Ashley? Daisy? these wouldn't even be considered if they were male!

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
1. I commend you for not resorting to namecalling.
2. You are an idiot.

...And what do you do?

Completely invalidate what you say, by calling him an idiot, after commending him for being the bigger man and not namecalling you.

....Say what you have to say, but don't try to get people to debate with you by instigating.

The_RMF

Smash Rookie
I wish samus would rock as much as she did in SSB 64. at least we can see a lot of curves, oh wait, ALL THE CURVES, in Zero Suit Samy

Fawriel

Smash Master
...And what do you do?

Completely invalidate what you say, by calling him an idiot, after commending him for being the bigger man and not namecalling you.

....Say what you have to say, but don't try to get people to debate with you by instigating.
How can you get the joke and at the same time completely miss the point? =<

Also, I didn't try to start a flamewar, it was my subtle-as-a-brick way of saying that I've made my point and don't want to go on discussing the subject because he's already proven that he just doesn't get the point of what I'm saying. Or alternatively, that he doesn't want to get the point.
Hey, you could just as well take my reply to him as a compliment - I expected him to be capable of taking it with humor after all. :p

And since this post seems kind of pointless, I'll just go ahead and clarify my point one last time.
Statistically, women are generally weaker than men, yet it can very well happen that a woman is physically stronger than a man.
On average, men are stronger and women are weaker. The thing is, that doesn't have anything to do with the game. We are talking about a game that includes tiny puffballs, mercenaries, furry pilots, magic, swordfighters, and so on. How exactly do you plan to debate their strength by saying what an average person can do?
Even if that statistic applies to the Smash characters, the female ratio is small enough to make it possible that any woman in the game is just of above average strength. Why should an average woman be in a fighting game?
And even if so, it's not like the strength of characters ever had any resemblance to logic. If the game made sense, Fox's usmash would be a neat little trick but would cause him to fall flat on his head if somebody happens to stand on his feet in the process, yet it's one of the strongest of its kind in the game.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
How can you get the joke and at the same time completely miss the point? =<

Also, I didn't try to start a flamewar, it was my subtle-as-a-brick way of saying that I've made my point and don't want to go on discussing the subject because he's already proven that he just doesn't get the point of what I'm saying. Or alternatively, that he doesn't want to get the point.
Hey, you could just as well take my reply to him as a compliment - I expected him to be capable of taking it with humor after all. :p

And since this post seems kind of pointless, I'll just go ahead and clarify my point one last time.
Statistically, women are generally weaker than men, yet it can very well happen that a woman is physically stronger than a man.
On average, men are stronger and women are weaker. The thing is, that doesn't have anything to do with the game. We are talking about a game that includes tiny puffballs, mercenaries, furry pilots, magic, swordfighters, and so on. How exactly do you plan to debate their strength by saying what an average person can do?
Even if that statistic applies to the Smash characters, the female ratio is small enough to make it possible that any woman in the game is just of above average strength. Why should an average woman be in a fighting game?
And even if so, it's not like the strength of characters ever had any resemblance to logic. If the game made sense, Fox's usmash would be a neat little trick but would cause him to fall flat on his head if somebody happens to stand on his feet in the process, yet it's one of the strongest of its kind in the game.
Just making sure you got your head in the right place is all.

I MUST MAINTAIN ORDER TO THAT WHICH IS GBD! :dizzy:

Also, we need a gigantic fat woman nintendo character.

@JrdnS: If Yuna ain't a woman....

Then....what did I....

....OH MY GOD I DEFILED A FACEHUGGER! DX

Wölf

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree with the fact that this game is sexist. In fact, a female character no longer has the role of "hottest". That belongs to the sexiest thing to walk the virtual planet, Solid Snake.

Poor women :(

PKNintendo

Smash Master
If Sakurai started focusing less on Peach panties (yes they're extremely detailed, I saw a video about some lases in her pantiers) and worked on phys. Peach would be much better.

Peach deserves more KO power! Sakurai had no right to change it! Why did he change it from E for all?
And Samus. She has even less KO options than Peach!
And ZSS deserves more killers.

AND STOP MAKING EVERY FEMALE LIGHTER THAN KIDS (Ness and Lucas)

Top Bottom