• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sexist Sakurai - The fall of women in Brawl

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
You guys act as if Sakurai is the only one who made this game...
Ok, the whole team is sexist then >.>

or maybe it were the fans who requested characters back during the time of Melee, where Sakurai picked the characters from, that were sexist... actually looking back then we had a lot less female choices.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
My choices for a female smasher for next game

Krystal with staff

Dixie Kong (with helicopter hair recovery)

May AKA pokemon rival (Mudkip, Grovyle & Blaziken)

Dixie was VERY close to being in brawl.

Dixies trophy---

Diddy Kong's cutie of a girlfriend with an adorable blond ponytail. That ponytail is hardly for show-- it helps propel her through the air for extended hang time and is indispensable for spin-attacking enemies and lifting barrels. Watch out--Dixie packs more power than you might imagine!

I ammount this to pits trophy in melee, along with her hidden data Dixie probably would have been a cool diddy clone.

dooky

Smash Cadet
Oh, females have much more of a visible presence in Brawl. Samus takes her clothes off, Peach shows her panties, and the once butch and androgynous Sheik now has a cleavage to rival that of Lara Croft. The only one of the girls to escape sluttification was Nana. Expect Zero Parka Nana for SSB4.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My choices for a female smasher for next game

Krystal with staff

Dixie Kong (with helicopter hair recovery)

May AKA pokemon rival (Mudkip, Grovyle & Blaziken)

Dixie was VERY close to being in brawl.

Dixies trophy---

Diddy Kong's cutie of a girlfriend with an adorable blond ponytail. That ponytail is hardly for show-- it helps propel her through the air for extended hang time and is indispensable for spin-attacking enemies and lifting barrels. Watch out--Dixie packs more power than you might imagine!

I ammount this to pits trophy in melee, along with her hidden data Dixie probably would have been a cool diddy clone.
While these are good suggestions for the most part, one must not forget about Mona, Wario's supposed love interest.

All things considered, she seems to be the prime candidate for second rep of the WarioWare series. She could have an absurd moveset with her scooter, animals and electric guitar incorporated into it, as well as the usual punches and kicks.

Expect Zero Parka Nana for SSB4.
That is wrong on so many levels!:scared::laugh:

kr3wman

Smash Master
This is a joke thread and a humourous observation thread. If the mods feel it breaches some kind of rules, please feel free to close it.

Does anyone remember how great it was that in Melee, three out of the four female characters were high up on the tierlist? Sheik, Peach and Samus were both in the upper two tiers of Melee.

In Brawl, every single female character is set to be mid or below besides possibly Zelda or Sheik/Zelda if you use Sheik for damage and then switch to Zelda for the KO. The rest, Peach, Samus and Zamus are set to be Mid or lower, especially Samus who pretty much sucks now.

Conspiracy theorists anyone? I mean, did Samus really need that much nerfing?! She wasn't even Top Tier or among the top of High Tier! Maybe Sakurai just doesn't like women very much and though it absurd that so many women were high up on the Tierlist in Melee and decided to therefore nerf every single one of them into infinity... all except Zelda because she was Bottom tier. But she's not Top Tier Material now so that was just a compromise.

Brawl is the fall of women. How the mighty have fallen.

That's the first thing I saw that was pure nonsense from you.

Seriously. You must be ****ing bored.

Sarchasm. Learn it, Love it, Do it.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
well it's all importance is it really sakurai's fault there are no important females?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Note, I am one of the exceptions to guy gamers, many times in fighting games, I pick the female characters that can kick butt, because they usually kick but in the fighting style that fits best for me.
I could care less what gender my character is.

I like fast characters that are also strong either in raw power or combos and that don't have to constantly be working uphill to win. A big factor is also their style.

It just so happens that most of the time (in fact, in all often but one), that character is a female one (Chun-Li, Peach, Xianghua) and most of the time, that character is also High or Top Tier (though I've never picked a main based on the tierlist, in fact, I've only known about the tierlist in one of such cases).

Except for in Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 where you pretty much don't stand a chance to win... at all unless you're a Top Tier. That time, I tierwhored Itachi in the first tournament in Sweden where Itachi was allowed just for fun... and stuck with him. Itachi also happens to be male.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I could care less what gender my character is.

I like fast characters that are also strong either in raw power or combos and that don't have to constantly be working uphill to win. A big factor is also their style.

It just so happens that most of the time (in fact, in all often but one), that character is a female one (Chun-Li, Peach, Xianghua) and most of the time, that character is also High or Top Tier (though I've never picked a main based on the tierlist, in fact, I've only known about the tierlist in one of such cases).

Except for in Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 where you pretty much don't stand a chance to win... at all unless you're a Top Tier. That time, I tierwhored Itachi in the first tournament in Sweden where Itachi was allowed just for fun... and stuck with him. Itachi also happens to be male.
He's blind too. You must really like handicapped matches.

Really bad pun.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
well it's all importance is it really sakurai's fault there are no important females?
There were plenty of important females, he just chose not to acknowledge them. Hopefully they won't get the boot come next game, Krystal for sure next time, depending when the next FE game is released and when SSB4 planning commences, maybe Micaiah, and if Midna makes any future appearance, maybe...

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
It's not Sakurai's fault that women can't fight.
OD.

Anyway, I don't think Sakurai is sexist... he made every chick better than Falcon.

Illusive

Smash Apprentice
More female representation?
All he wanted to do was represent women as useless.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yuna forgot Ivysaur.

They turned 'her' into a 'he' for the english translation, instead of keeping her female like May's Ivysaur.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Jiggs is a she too.

I've actually never encountered a male jigglypuff...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Like it or not, the possibilities of female additions in the next Smash's fighting roster are minimal. Nontheless, we must keep hoping for slightly more even female equality in the cast.

That said, the following is who I think would have the most chances of being playable in the next game(or the one after that, depending on the case);

Krystal(pretty much a like it or hate it character, though she did get mentioned in Sakurai's journal 3 times)
Dixie Kong(she was a sidekick in DKC 2 AND became a hero in DKC3. Any questions?)
Mona(considering Wario's recent "Wario Ware" trend, she seems to be the most logical representative of that series after Wario himself)
Lip(she got mentioned in Sakurai's journal twice, so who knows?)
Micaiah(One of the main roles in FE:RD, the series' most recent entry)
Capt. Syrup(if Wario Land: Shake it! sells well, she might have a chance)

degypr

Smash Cadet
The F-Zero series needs more rep. Throw in Jody Summer in the mix and both problems are solved.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Like it or not, the possibilities of female additions in the next Smash's fighting roster are minimal. Nontheless, we must keep hoping for slightly more even female equality in the cast.

That said, the following is who I think would have the most chances of being playable in the next game(or the one after that, depending on the case);

Krystal(pretty much a like it or hate it character, though she did get mentioned in Sakurai's journal 3 times)
Dixie Kong(she was a sidekick in DKC 2 AND became a hero in DKC3. Any questions?)
Mona(considering Wario's recent "Wario Ware" trend, she seems to be the most logical representative of that series after Wario himself)
Lip(she got mentioned in Sakurai's journal twice, so who knows?)
Micaiah(One of the main roles in FE:RD, the series' most recent entry)
Capt. Syrup(if Wario Land: Shake it! sells well, she might have a chance)
Your list shows a distinct lack of Midna or Tetra.
Or Gardevoir. =<

And just because I can:

What bothers me is that the female characters in Brawl are possibly some of the most disrespected video game characters of all time. Practically everyone has forgotten Peach's powers and abilities. Zelda has been heavily debated as to whether she has a complete gender change when transforming to Sheik. Zero Suit Samus… I don't really need to say much. I think an entire thread dedicated to this: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=183346
proves my point.

More female characters would be appreciated. Lyn and Micaiah are two from the Fire Emblem series who are important enough to be included. As long as Mona is up for debate, why not Ashley? Krystal? Almost anyone is fine, really.

*Sigh*…But that will never happen. This thread is awfully serious for something meant to be a joke.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
This is a joke thread and a humourous observation thread. If the mods feel it breaches some kind of rules, please feel free to close it.

Does anyone remember how great it was that in Melee, three out of the four female characters were high up on the tierlist? Sheik, Peach and Samus were both in the upper two tiers of Melee.

In Brawl, every single female character is set to be mid or below besides possibly Zelda or Sheik/Zelda if you use Sheik for damage and then switch to Zelda for the KO. The rest, Peach, Samus and Zamus are set to be Mid or lower, especially Samus who pretty much sucks now.

Conspiracy theorists anyone? I mean, did Samus really need that much nerfing?! She wasn't even Top Tier or among the top of High Tier! Maybe Sakurai just doesn't like women very much and though it absurd that so many women were high up on the Tierlist in Melee and decided to therefore nerf every single one of them into infinity... all except Zelda because she was Bottom tier. But she's not Top Tier Material now so that was just a compromise.

Brawl is the fall of women. How the mighty have fallen.
He made their kills moves weaker. He tried to be realistic and make them weak (barf)
personally, they should have equal kill moves to the males.

Greater than equal for Samus. People forget how powerful Samus is. Super-human strength plus the force of that suit should make her incredibly powerful, physically. Not to mention that a Super Missile or Power Bomb packs quite a punch.

Fawriel

Smash Master
He made their kills moves weaker. He tried to be realistic and make them weak (barf)
personally, they should have equal kill moves to the males.
Of all the terms I could use to describe what Sakurai did to the characters' movesets, "realistic" is not one I would even consider touching with a ten-foot pole.

Top Bottom