• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
A true frame trap is simply when you have enough of a gap in pressure for them to hit a button and they get stuffed with your option.

So with Sheik a perfect SHFF Fair into jab will stuff a shield grab attempt.

People use frame trap to describe other scenarios like what Vipermoon just did, but that's incorrect. That's an airdodge trap. A situation where you a trying to force and punish a specific action, in this case the air dodge.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
A true frame trap is simply when you have enough of a gap in pressure for them to hit a button and they get stuffed with your option.

So with Sheik a perfect SHFF Fair into jab will stuff a shield grab attempt.

People use frame trap to describe other scenarios like what Vipermoon just did, but that's incorrect. That's an airdodge trap. A situation where you a trying to force and punish a specific action, in this case the air dodge.
OIC

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Traps...are his entire meta.

If you don't do them, there is no reason to play Marth. Ever.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
The answer is fundamentals. You just have to consider your options at all times and play mind games with your opponent. Like any other character except exaggerated with Marth.

You can't combo like Melee (only because he was slowed down) and you can't OP (kidding) your way through it like Brawl. So your only bet is traps.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
So patch 1.0.2 was released today and I couldn't find any changes in Marth or Diddy, though on only spent 10 minutes on each character. Maybe I missed something or the slightest change went unnoticed. I honestly have no idea was this patch is for.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
So patch 1.0.2 was released today and I couldn't find any changes in Marth or Diddy, though on only spent 10 minutes on each character. Maybe I missed something or the slightest change went unnoticed. I honestly have no idea was this patch is for.
Well when they patched the game to balance things they announced it beforehand. If you can still watch your old replays then that should mean nothing has changed gameplay-wise.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Well when they patched the game to balance things they announced it beforehand. If you can still watch your old replays then that should mean nothing has changed gameplay-wise.
Are you sure we can't? Do the replays get deleted or just unwatchable?

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Are you sure we can't? Do the replays get deleted or just unwatchable?
They become unwatchable, it tells you as soon as you go into the replay archives or whatever they are called that you can't watch the old replays anymore. Did you play the 3DS version?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
They become unwatchable, it tells you as soon as you go into the replay archives or whatever they are called that you can't watch the old replays anymore. Did you play the 3DS version?
I did play it but before the balance patch and idk if I saved replays, since it wasn't my DS (lol even though I bought the game). Anyway, I confirmed that my replays work. But what if your replays happen to not feature any of the charatcers that were changed?

In the general forum I found this: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/axfj/update/index.html
Hopefully you have chrome so you can translate but it basically added a lot more stages to 8 player Smash, which I confirmed. But what it says at the bottom indicates other changes so there might be a thing here and there.

Edit: There is now a notification in the smash main menu that tells you all this. No need to click the link and try to read that broken english

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
So it was an update to let you play in more stages for 8-player smash? Anyways, no even if it is a match between unchanged characters you wouldn't be able to watch them, so I guess there was no balance changes.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
So it was an update to let you play in more stages for 8-player smash? Anyways, no even if it is a match between unchanged characters you wouldn't be able to watch them, so I guess there was no balance changes.
Yes

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I need to get some matches against some of you guys sometime. My Marth is seriously lacking and I could use whatever help you have to offer me.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
@ Shaya Shaya can you do something about this Jasudin guy? He is liking everybody's posts on not only this thread,but on others too for unknown reasons and it messing with mine and probably other's alerts.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
@ Shaya Shaya can you do something about this Jasudin guy? He is liking everybody's posts on not only this thread,but on others too for unknown reasons and it messing with mine and probably other's alerts.
Same. I had multiple alerts for this thread for that reason.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You can disable like notifications and otherwise they're not exactly malicious.

Also I just got to meet @locuan128~ I didn't get to play him yet though, although I got to play his Puerto Rico friends instead. While showing off Marth~

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
You can disable like notifications and otherwise they're not exactly malicious.

Also I just got to meet @locuan128~ I didn't get to play him yet though, although I got to play his Puerto Rico friends instead. While showing off Marth~
You're in Texas?!? ;D

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol. Shaya you are only 40 mins away from me, but I'm not going to Apex so have fun bro.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
well the new venue got moved 45 minutes away from the original due to the fire marshal shutting down the hotel they were at, so maybe you're only 5 minutes away from him

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If it's still in Secaucus then it's about the same. I heard it's where AnimeNEXT is held.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Im taking a break from Smash and the boards; Im garbage at Smash and praticing every day isnt helping me at all so I'm going to go do other things for a while.

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
^ thats a good idea. i was doing worse than usual for a few days so i took a week off. got back and played better than i ever had. you gotta know when to practice, and when to lay off.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Yeah. I find training for smash similar to working out. After training, I let myself rest and find I've gotten better.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
That's just me. If a play to much I start to fluctuate in skill. That's why I have rest days for smash.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You have to play with intent. Play to work on different things. Creating situations, responding to situations, how to pressure, or how to make proper reads. Experiment alot and see what works and what doesn't. You will lose ALOT but you can see tremendous growth in just a few sparring sessions if you train properly.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
You have to play with intent. Play to work on different things. Creating situations, responding to situations, how to pressure, or how to make proper reads. Experiment alot and see what works and what doesn't. You will lose ALOT but you can see tremendous growth in just a few sparring sessions if you train properly.
Though it can be difficult to do that when your opponent is just spamming projectiles and/or rolling everywhere. I can really do any of the stuff you mentioned online since all the players are too dumb or stubborn to mix things up even when the situation would really require them to do that.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Though it can be difficult to do that when your opponent is just spamming projectiles and/or rolling everywhere. I can really do any of the stuff you mentioned online since all the players are too dumb or stubborn to mix things up even when the situation would really require them to do that.
This. My friend did this to me. I was playing Marth and he was playing CF. He was playing really aggressively, using dash attack, dash grab, Falcon Kick, and Raptor Boost. I kept parrying him with jab, Dtitlt, and shield but he never mixed up his approaches with a SHFF or and empty hop. Eventually I knew I was in his head so I just kept pressuring him with aerials and frame traps (thanks for teaching me about those). I won by simply denying him the edge on all his stocks. I realize that I have to work on creating situations, so I'm looking for ways to do that.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
For weaker players you practice fundamentals. You also practice the very subtle art of giving your opponent just enough space to kill themselves. For example you space yourself about a rolls distance away and then walk forward a bit. Most noobs will roll right at you on reaction to seeing you move. Then you punish. That's once example, but truly this is Marth's meta in a nutshell. Creating a threat through proximity and the possibility of an attack. Vs noobs they will just do something on instinct that gets them killed.

You know you are a master when a high level player kills themself without you actually doing alot.

Top Bottom