• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You really underestimate people's 6 years+ of practice of following Marth's aerial movements and the natural holes in between each of his attacks.
That only got bigger between games.

I didn't explicitly state neutral either. I'm sure you know what I mean by respecting or disrespecting Marth, or have you forgotten? :( Either way, his neutral isn't that gratifying with a poor grab game + as you already say, ONLY access to jab or dtilt, your next action after those things requires your own 'reading' not to advance pressure but rather to not get punished, it isn't a frame trap by any means, most characters can cover all options in one or two of their own.

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Lucina?
Who's that?
I'm Marth!
*cough cough*

I'll be trying to hang around on the boards more often, namely Lucina/Marth boards.

Just out of curiosity, as Marcina's, do you guys approach? If so, what's your favorite method?

I'm pretty trigger happy with N-air and U-air...

Edit: Just read the last two pages. I'll try out, though standing around like that feels kinda awkward haha

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Lucina?
Who's that?
I'm Marth!
*cough cough*

I'll be trying to hang around on the boards more often, namely Lucina/Marth boards.

Just out of curiosity, as Marcina's, do you guys approach? If so, what's your favorite method?

Edit: Just read the last two pages. I'll try out, though standing around like that feels kinda awkward haha
You should only approach if you know for sure you will land your hit or do a false approach to make your opponent leave themselves open for an attack. You can also approach to surprise your opponent,but don't do it too much of course.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
You should only approach if you know for sure you will land your hit or do a false approach to make your opponent leave themselves open for an attack. You can also approach to surprise your opponent,but don't do it too much of course.
Sakurai please give us safe air to ground pressure.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You really underestimate people's 6 years+ of practice of following Marth's aerial movements and the natural holes in between each of his attacks.
That only got bigger between games.

I didn't explicitly state neutral either. I'm sure you know what I mean by respecting or disrespecting Marth, or have you forgotten? :( Either way, his neutral isn't that gratifying with a poor grab game + as you already say, ONLY access to jab or dtilt, your next action after those things requires your own 'reading' not to advance pressure but rather to not get punished, it isn't a frame trap by any means, most characters can cover all options in one or two of their own.
Oh, I know all too well. It's why I attack less and less then more I play them. This is what we have to work with and even though Marcina isn't top tier, don't we still have our pride as the ones that always advance the meta for our char with the utmost knowledge and passion?

In the end, that pride is what moves me. Not whether or not they can play the way I wish they could play.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Oh, I know all too well. It's why I attack less and less then more I play them. This is what we have to work with and even though Marcina isn't top tier, don't we still have our pride as the ones that always advance the meta for our char with the utmost knowledge and passion?

In the end, that pride is what moves me. Not whether or not they can play the way I wish they could play.
Very eloquently put.

I look forward to Marcina's progression in the metagame

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld

As an extension to this, is Marth doesn't play the way you like, either adapt or find someone who fits your playstyle. That's only the biggest thing, don't feel "stuck" on marth due to w.e reasons you have, if marth isn't fun for you then don't be afraid to move on. There's over 50 characters in the game there's bound to be one that fits your style. If marth is who you truly want to use then buckle in for the long haul...

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I play Marth because he is a character I have mained (along with Sheik) since I was a young kid playing Melee at my childhood friends house, Marth also has a very memorable and likable character in his own games and he just is fun to play. :3

I'm actually quite proud of myself for being able to learn Marth in a game where he is only mid tier and not popular, the first Smash game where I decided to go (for the most part) competitive was a game where, while I did get help on some of the techniques like perfect pivoting and b-reversals, which I thank the people here for showing me to. I'm also incredibly happy because I managed to find out frame traps and majority of the combos I use on my own, which makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something and that I truly am not just helping myself directly but even others by giving advice and stuff. (Even though most of what I give is an attempt to help people want to keep on playing the character they love)

I know being good at a character at a fighting game doesn't prove anyone's worth in the real world, which is why I don't aim to be the "VERY BEST MLG PRO MARTH" there ever was, nor do I take people trashing Marth as something that actually means something to me. However, I cannot understate how me feeling like I've truly am earning my current success online (Smashladder and For Glory) is a reason I play Marth. So, in short, bias towards a character and that satisfaction of learning something yourself is what attracts me to Marth and really it's like that for every fighting character for me. :3

That being said, never doing dance trot to perfect pivot until I see a valid use for it and it becomes worth me becoming incredibly nauseous. Also call it bias but I hate it when people say Marcina and not Marth when referring to Marth. I know they have the same moveset and all but it still irritates me. >.<

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
That being said, never doing dance trot to perfect pivot until I see a valid use for it and it becomes worth me becoming incredibly nauseous. Also call it bias but I hate it when people say Marcina and not Marth when referring to Marth. I know they have the same moveset and all but it still irritates me. >.<
Lower levels trying to touch the Hero-King status smh

Yeah that's how most smash games are...the mentality has been if you main a (popular) high tier you're a sellout/have no skill/need top tiers to win while if you main a low tier you're cool and people give you respect. It kind of sucks that people have this prejudiced assumption, as oftentimes you just main a character you like who happens to be a high tier, while if they weren't high tier you'd still main them. But oc people have no way of knowing this so they assume the worst..

What low tier in any smash game have you seen a bunch of people ranting about? about none (sonic was midtier in brawl haha he doesn't count ;P) It's the high tiers that get all the hate...which transfers over to the players though they've done no wrong they're simply playing the game.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
The problem doesn't just exist in the Smash community. It's a natural thing among fighting games, as a Zero player in UMvC3, (I'm bad though) backlash for playing high tier characters does exist in just about every fighting game because seeing the same characters and combos in tournaments, while inevitable, still can get annoying.

If you play a game and just play it so you enjoy it, the backlash just doesn't matter. :p As much as I hate to say it.... even a Rosalina main who plays her because the individual really likes the character and has fun playing with her, then go ahead.

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Also call it bias but I hate it when people say Marcina and not Marth when referring to Marth. I know they have the same moveset and all but it still irritates me. >.<

Lucina3Fab5Me

I agree, but it's slowly growing on me, namely due to both of them being stuck in the same situation.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Iono, I have a lot of fun playing Marth. There just isn't a solution to smart shielding.
Match timers getting shorter and feasible rewards don't look good for us either.

But you aren't going to convince me that a waiting game stacks up well for Marth when the opponent can do the exact same thing most likely better.

I'm pretty meticulous, I weigh up reaction vs option coverage. I know exactly what waiting is, but I really don't feel this game allows you to play this way in general, although if any character was to pull it off thanks to bait-prone movement options (perfect pivoting, empty jumps) it would be Mars.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It works when they are shielding since they have to move sooner or later. It's not a Marcina specific thing. Just a game engine thing. I understand what you are saying though. The actual reward for beating a shield isn't there to justify the risk of a grab or poking it with an attack. But again, it is what it is.

Also I personally like match timers being shorter. Timing people out should be a viable strat. The clock should be a factor always.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Shorter match timers to make timing people out more viable sounds like a terrible idea to me. If that were to happen timing people out will not only be more viable,but it will also happen all the time in tournament matches and it would probably lead to a lot of frustration from the person being timed out and the spectators knowing they only lost because the other guy kept running away. Timing the opponent out NEEDS to remain a last resort at the end of a long match. I understand tournament players are trying to win for the money,but lets keep in mind this is a video game meant for people to enjoy, and I am pretty sure it could kill the metagame by literally making people not enjoy the game anymore.

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Lucina?
Who's that?
I'm Marth!
*cough cough*

Best approach is not to approach. Fake out an approach. Do a bunch of empty shorthops, mabye some jabs and dtilts- or jump around the platforms in a /safe/ manner. Don't overextend yourself

Edit: Oh also guys, new text color! Thinking of changing the blue to a different blue, but I like it!

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I like N-Air a lot... Like, I spam it, like all the time.

Like a lot.

N-Air is love, N-air is life....

Gunna try amd do empty short hops and stuff

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
These are good to implement in your game. It can throw your opponent off and force them to block since they might expect an attack. You can go and grab after that situation. But yea, practice it if you can.
I will, kinda just sitting in Great Cave Offensive practicing teching, foxtrot and perfect pivots

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
I've been looking around the net, and as it turns out. Everyone seems to hate ssb4 Marth. I personally don't see what's so bad about him, I know he's been nerfed and all, but he's still a good character to play.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I've been looking around the net, and as it turns out. Everyone seems to hate ssb4 Marth. I personally don't see what's so bad about him, I know he's been nerfed and all, but he's still a good character to play.
Hey there Spoice. I moved your post here to the Marth General Thread. Please keep posts such as these in here.
Ill look for a better color of blue then

Is it better? @ Locuan Locuan
I think it is
Yep, it's definitely better :)

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
What do you guys do when you go on a losing streak? I find myself getting too frustrated recently, a behavior that wasnt present at the beginning of my smash career (so I am unsure as to how it developed)

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
What do you guys do when you go on a losing streak? I find myself getting too frustrated recently, a behavior that wasnt present at the beginning of my smash career (so I am unsure as to how it developed)
Personally I like losing, though after a while I do take a break and come back after an hour or so.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
That same thing happened to me like two weeks ago, but it was so bad I stopped playing for a whole week. It also was not something that would happen to me when I first started playing Smash 4. It happens to me,because I feel like I should have won the match, or that I was at an unfair disadvantage.

Personally I like losing, though after a while I do take a break and come back after an hour or so.
That was how I felt about almost every match at one point,but there comes a point where you stop learning from for glory players. Now I learn from watching high level play or playing against my friends.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
That was how I felt about almost every match at one point,but there comes a point where you stop learning from for glory players. Now I learn from watching high level play or playing against my friends.
I don't usually play for glory though. ;----;

I watch streams whenever I can and play against friends as well.

Though tbh, I did play a match of for glory and I got paired up against a pretty good Captain Falcon who gave me some trouble. Though I usually can't stand the lag so I don't play for long.

My only wish is to live in a bigger city with better players QQ

You know it's bad when the best player is a mediocre Lucina...

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I don't usually play for glory though. ;----;

I watch streams whenever I can and play against friends as well.

Though tbh, I did play a match of for glory and I got paired up against a pretty good Captain Falcon who gave me some trouble. Though I usually can't stand the lag so I don't play for long.

My only wish is to live in a bigger city with better players QQ

You know it's bad when the best player is a mediocre Lucina...
I watch and participate in streams whenever I can. Ive been participating in Jed05's weeklies since 3DS came out, I reccomend giving them a look. My friends arent as interested in smash as I am anymore. They were when the height of 3ds hype was still here, but since Wii U came out, they havent hardly played at all.

I play on ladders for the most part nowadays, and jesus the people on Smash ladders are so much better than me. Im 0-10 for Wii U and 3-24 for 3DS.

Also, I wish this town had a scene at all. I'd kill to live in a town where I wasnt the /only/ Smash player. (not the only only, but among the Smash players in my area, Im the best. Unless there is a super secret scene that I dont know about- but word gets out pretty fast around here. 99% certain the closest scene is atleast 30 minutes away)

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I watch and participate in streams whenever I can. Ive been participating in Jed05's weeklies since 3DS came out, I reccomend giving them a look. My friends arent as interested in smash as I am anymore. They were when the height of 3ds hype was still here, but since Wii U came out, they havent hardly played at all.

I play on ladders for the most part nowadays, and jesus the people on Smash ladders are so much better than me. Im 0-10 for Wii U and 3-24 for 3DS
How does the smashladder work?

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
How does the smashladder work?
Smashladder or Anther's ladder is an online ladder system. you make an account, pick your games (Smash Wii U, 3DS, P:M, Melee, and 64 are available) and then you go to the netplay, under the Matchmaking tab. You select if you're going to play friendlies or ranked, and then chose best of 3 or best of 5. It puts your challenge in a little window other players can see, they can chose to accept it or not. When you get a challange, you'll get a notifcation. If you accept, it will put you in a im chat with your opponent. It has a little interface for selecting your character and striking stages. Its really convenient.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Smashladder or Anther's ladder is an online ladder system. you make an account, pick your games (Smash Wii U, 3DS, P:M, Melee, and 64 are available) and then you go to the netplay, under the Matchmaking tab. You select if you're going to play friendlies or ranked, and then chose best of 3 or best of 5. It puts your challenge in a little window other players can see, they can chose to accept it or not. When you get a challange, you'll get a notifcation. If you accept, it will put you in a im chat with your opponent. It has a little interface for selecting your character and striking stages. Its really convenient.
So you're playing on the computer?

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
So you're playing on the computer?
No, so like, Im playing on Wii U or 3DS. The site just links you to opponents, and you exchange NNID's or FC's, add eachother, and do your stage striking and stuff on the site.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Ahh, okay, I'll definitely try this.
Is really good.

So, I was just playing Cpus and derping-

I tried Skyloft for the first time (always striked it when it came up as a CP for my opponent)
Its really good for us. Like, its platformy most of the time- and then there are points where some platforms are super dumbly close to the ceiling. All it takes is shield grabbing an aerial around mabye 20% with a lil rage and they're dead.
The stage in general is pretty kind to us, though, I think.

I think we should have a thread discussing what stages are good for Marth and which arent and why.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I think we should have a thread discussing what stages are good for Marth and which arent and why.
This is a great idea. Should we start with the neutrals and move on to counterpicks? Then we can do the stages that are left that are not used in tournaments. This is just an idea I'm throwing out there. What do you guys think?

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
This is a great idea. Should we start with the neutrals and move on to counterpicks? Then we can do the stages that are left that are not used in tournaments. This is just an idea I'm throwing out there. What do you guys think?
That sounds great! We can break down the stages into pros and cons, discuss why they're good for us and why they're bad- and even discuss who we'd take there and why. (like for example im experimenting with Luigi going to Lylat. I think it might be bad for him because the angling stage messes up his combos a little [in theory], we still get platform game, sort of low ceiling especially when the stage is tilting upward, and tilting ledges with no lip to screw with his already terrible recovery.)
If you can dream up some fancy organization thing like you do (you're really good at that) for it, that'd be super great!

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
If you can dream up some fancy organization thing like you do (you're really good at that) for it, that'd be super great!
Jaja, I'll see what I can do. But yea, this idea is great. Although, it will take me some time since I have a few things I have to do today and tonight (Updating Match-Up Threads, Pit vs. Lucina crew battle, etc.) I'm excited though!

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Jaja, I'll see what I can do. But yea, this idea is great. Although, it will take me some time since I have a few things I have to do today and tonight (Updating Match-Up Threads, Pit vs. Lucina crew battle, etc.) I'm excited though!
Ah no rush! Good luck with your crew battle!

Top Bottom