• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Guys please change your font colors. Your deep-blue and deep-purple etc colours invite readers to scroll past your posts and end up making your well-written posts unread and ignored. Friendly advice.

Look at me - I've chosen blue as my font colour, but its a light blue that is very readable to 95% of readers whom use the default dark theme.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Guys please change your font colors. Your deep-blue and deep-purple etc colours invite readers to scroll past your posts and end up making your well-written posts unread and ignored. Friendly advice.

Look at me - I've chosen blue as my font colour, but its a light blue that is very readable to 95% of readers whom use the default dark theme.
For some reason I can only see the white font on posts. Do I have to enable seeing colored fonts or something?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
More like you disable seeing people's font colors.
Like mwah.
Yeah it's good to turn it off. I like enabling it to make catching my posts easier to see as I scroll down and to better differentiate between users quickly, but also to see when some users use hard-to-read font colours so I can tell them to change them :p

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I actually never knew of this option >.>
And it doesn't change the colors used for adding content to the post, like this? This is nice.
Also, Shaya, I think I saw D1 tweet a pic of you and him at the baggage claim sometime before Apex started? I think? That was you, right?
I've never associated your name with anything other than the cute anime girls you put as your avatar, I thought it was super cool seeing you in human form.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I've never associated your name with anything other than the cute anime girls you put as your avatar, I thought it was super cool seeing you in human form.
Heh. Oh Shaya

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Customs on at evo.

Time to put work in guys.

With this Marth honestly doesn't even need a patch. His customs alleviate his issues and help his match-ups. Also my opinion on Crescent Slash is changing.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Customs on at evo.

With this Marth honestly doesn't even need a patch. His customs alleviate his issues and help his match-ups. Also my opinion on Crescent Slash is changing.
The heavy DB is really good as a kill option for when you are having trouble keeping the opponent at the right distance for a kill. What do you mean by Crescent Slash is changing? I agree that customs can help Marth,but I wouldn't say it makes buffing him unnecessary.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey guys, just in case you are interested I worked on Lucina's frame data for a while and posted a thread on the character board. It's still missing a few things, (air dodge, and specials) but it will be completed in due time.
Customs on at evo.
By Customs it's custom moves; no equipment correct?

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Buffing his combos will surely be nice, practically via reducing the aerial lag a little bit. However, having more combo potential via the mobility given by Dashing Assault (albiet not completely comfortable with it, I cannot deny it lets Marth gets many otherwise unlikely hits) and the RELIABLE KILL COMBO that is F-Throw to Crescent slash at around 60% to most characters near the ledge really makes Marth feel at least 5x more enjoyable and much better.

Also @ Locuan Locuan yes, just custom moves. Custom equipment would be really ridiculous. :p

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
What would you say is the best set of moves for a custom Marth? I don't use customs moves often, so the only one for Marth I have found worth using is heavy DB. Most people change up b to a better move for recovering,but with Marth I don't think it is that useful since Marth's recovery is already pretty good and the default one can stage spike someone when they go off stage for an edgeguard.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Also @ Locuan Locuan yes, just custom moves. Custom equipment would be really ridiculous. :p
I have to test Crescent Slash more I haven't used that move too much yet. Also, I ask about the equipment since there have been items before at EVO. I can still remember that watching that tournament.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Heavy Dancing Blade is garbage.

Dolphin Jump is legit as it lets Marrth end stocks at low percents by going deep. It's not about recovery. It's about edgeguarding.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Heavy Dancing Blade is garbage.

Dolphin Jump is legit as it lets Marrth end stocks at low percents by going deep. It's not about recovery. It's about edgeguarding.
Huh, I never thought about it helping edgeguards...Anyways, what makes Heavy DB garbage? It can kill pretty early,even without a tipper.

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
if anyone gets hit by Heavy Blade they're literally ********

i haven't messed with them much because i'm not a fan of custom moves, but for custom marth i'm trying to rock Cresent Slash and Iai Counter, then just base SB and DB. Sometimes i try out the SB that shoots marth forward but i hate the lack of shield damage on it. i feel like if people fought marths using that move they'd learn to punish it consistently and it'd just be worthless, it's better for marth to have that shield pressure.

i've seen people combo fairs into Cresent Slash which is interesting as hell, i gotta test with it more to get used to it though. i keep recovering way too low and it's just hard to utilize because of how unsafe it is if you whiff.

seriously though. If a Jiggly tries to Hbox you off the screen Iai Counter will kill them sub 30% close to the blastzone, it's pretty funny. i'm not really a fan of using counter so i think having the faster start up is just way better utility.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Shieldbreaker is ass vs anyone with a brain. Dashing Assault is where it's at I promise you.

Also if you have Crescent Slash, why do you need shield pressure?

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Forward throw to CS is a true grab confirm combo. You can also grab release into it off quite a few chars.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
lol honestly I have never used a custom Marth move set against another player. I guess his other customs moves are also pretty good.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
I apologize if this post belongs more to the custom move thread but because the flow of conversation is currently on custom moves, I figured I post here.

Recently played a few friendly matches against a friend with a custom Marth of dashing assault, crescent slash, and iai counter. The fthrow to CS does seem awfully consistently, even at higher percent. I'm not sure if my friend was di-ing improperly but it seemed that I can adjust to the di just with a dash forward or jump than using cs. If nothing else, you can probably at least use the threat of CS as a way to bait airdodges at higher percents.

CS also forces the opponent to be a bit more weary when edgeguarding near the ledge since the hitbox of CS hit way below the stage. Also, thanks to the weaving you can do after the move, you can do the occasional cute gimmicks when hanging on the ledge like drop then CS to shark edgeguarding opponents and go back to the ledge quickly or drop, jump, and CS to a platform on stages like battlefield.

Just throwing the move as an antiair and edgeguard onstage against an opponent recovering high may also be viable. If I recall @ Shaya Shaya 's frame data on custom moves correctly, CS has full invincibility as it is rising. So theoretically at least, if a character like Mario is shooting projectiles as they're falling onto the stage, you can use CS to punish them.

Traditionally, it is said that the problem with Marth since melee is that he either kills early or really late outside of edgeguarding situations. CS may provide us with a consistent kill move and set-up, which would address that age old problem. For this reason and several others, I think this move is great but I would love to hear others' opinions and thoughts on the matter. The last thing I want is to mislead myself into thinking this move is amazing if its not.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Crescent Slash? Assault Dash? Iai Counter?

Great moves. Marth can do so much more with that simple set-up.

I also prefer Easy Combination, but I can see why people would keep the Vanilla Side Special.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ L Link24a , I moved your post to the Marth General. In terms of match-ups we are currently going through the analysis for them. Click the following link to go to our current match-up thread. We are currently discussing Marth's match-up versus Jigglypuff.

Deviruki

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deviruki.exe
Old post. wish I could I delete it somehow.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ Deviruki Deviruki ! Welcome to the Marth Character Boards. I moved your post here to the Marth General as your post is more suited to this thread.

Last edited:

Lozo

Smash Rookie
NNID
LozoRozoDX
Hello
I am an incredibly generic unskilled Marth main who couldn't combo to save his life. I have been trying to play differently but nothing seems to work out. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to teach me the ways of the Falchion-wielding prince? PM me PLEASE!

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey @ Lozo Lozo . Welcome to Smashboards. I moved your post to the general thread. First of all, there are a lot of resources available for you to improve your Marth gameplay. The Marth Competitive Resource Thread has a lot of important links for guides, frame data, video threads and more. I recommend you read up on EternalFlame's Blade of Two Fates guide. After that, read up on the Promotion to Great Lord guide by Emblem Lord. Next, I would recommend going to the video thread and sit and watch the matches that are posted there. Spot the setups, etc. that you learned from the guides and then try to implement it into your game. If you have any questions feel free to ask in the Marth Question and Answer Thread or in here.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Well, I am officially the second worst player for Wii U on Anthers ladder. I'm on like a 32 game losing streak and have yet to win a single set for Wii U. Met some cool people though. I feel like I've kind of stagnated and that I'm not getting any better at the game. I also feel like I got really bad at Marth, and that I'm not using his tools properly anymore. I had some fun games against @ Crawfish Crawfish recently. He absolutely trashed me though XD

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Sorry I haven't been active recently. My notifications were being awkward and I didn't get any alerts. I didn't have to read though all the stuff I missed, so can someone bring me up to date about what we're talking about?

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
A bit of discussion on Crescent Slash; @ Locuan Locuan and I had some discussion about a "Marth stage anaylsis" thread where we would come together and break apart which stages are good for Marth, which stages help in which MU's, etc.; and I transcended to new levels of garbage on Anther's. About all you missed there.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
A bit of discussion on Crescent Slash; @ Locuan Locuan and I had some discussion about a "Marth stage anaylsis" thread where we would come together and break apart which stages are good for Marth, which stages help in which MU's, etc.; and I transcended to new levels of garbage on Anther's. About all you missed there.
Thanks for catching me up. So how do you guys use Shield Breaker? I use at least once every match. Your opponent is so conditioned to shielding that you just breaks their shield in one hit and then KO them. I was playing against my friend and wasted him with it.

Top Bottom