• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ kj22 kj22 I haven't watched all of your matches against Slush but the thing that stood out to me the most on the first game was that you where baited into airdodging into the ground a few times and you where punished for that. I still need to watch the others.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I think I now understand why I end up playing badly on certain days. Yesterday I was at my friend's house playing smash Wii U and I was playing pretty well despite losing like 95% of the time. I barely made mistakes besides a few times I ending up dying from not reversing my up b. Today I have not been playing to well and I also have been playing in some matches where the MU is definitely not in my favor. What I have figured out is that when I play better than usual one day, the next day I will play worse than usual and it will stay that way until I take a break for about a day or two. In my case it seems like it would be a good idea to NOT play smash or practice the day before a tournament. It is like my mind needs to charge up to be able to play well, but if I don't give it time to do that it will only make me play worse.

When I start playing in tournaments, would it be a good idea to practice or to give yourself time to rest? What do you guys do on the day before a tournament?

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
It's completely dependent on the player: I personally would still practice before a tournament. Not so much that I'd lose sleep over it, but something, even if it's just training mode spacing.

In general if I feel like I'm not playing very well overall I do take ~3 day breaks and they help. I've found that avoiding For Glory also improved my gameplay (probably because I build bad habits when playing those people). Still play it sometimes though because it's so easy to find a game through there heh.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
It's completely dependent on the player: I personally would still practice before a tournament. Not so much that I'd lose sleep over it, but something, even if it's just training mode spacing.

In general if I feel like I'm not playing very well overall I do take ~3 day breaks and they help. I've found that avoiding For Glory also improved my gameplay (probably because I build bad habits when playing those people). Still play it sometimes though because it's so easy to find a game through there heh.
Foodies you need to put up vids of your marth!! Stop hiding it!!

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
I would if recording replays was easier :v That said I do play on my friend's stream often enough. I'll see if I can get some not embarrassing matches for you lol.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I would if recording replays was easier :v That said I do play on my friend's stream often enough. I'll see if I can get some not embarrassing matches for you lol.
No embarrassing ones too! That's how you get betterrr

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Well I just played some dude online and got bodied like 50+ times in a row. In one match I only did 6% on them.....*sigh* sometimes I just feel like quitting smash...

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Well I just played some dude online and got bodied like 50+ times in a row. In one match I only did 6% on them.....*sigh* sometimes I just feel like quitting smash...
We all have bad days. When that happens to me, I take a few days off smash. What your win ratio? Mine's 51%.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
We all have bad days. When that happens to me, I take a few days off smash. What your win ratio? Mine's 51%.
Mine is 53%. In this case I was playing just as usual since I barely played at all yesterday, but the player was just so much better than me. Honestly, the player was trying a bit too hard. They were basically playing like you would see someone play at a tournament, but it is just For Glory. Who actually tries THAT hard just to win online and get nothing out of it. I really only play online when I am bored (which happens A LOT) or just to keep myself from losing my edge.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Mine is 53%. In this case I was playing just as usual since I barely played at all yesterday, but the player was just so much better than me. Honestly, the player was trying a bit too hard. They were basically playing like you would see someone play at a tournament, but it is just For Glory. Who actually tries THAT hard just to win online and get nothing out of it. I really only play online when I am bored (which happens A LOT) or just to keep myself from losing my edge.
I know the feeling. Around ~50%, you get caught in this vacuum of either player who are far better than you, or far worse. The skill gap is so big that you don't gain any skill. All you do is just accumulate wins and losses. When I'm on FG, I do best-of-3 matches, that way I keep my session fun and diverse. I've also started winning more since.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think...you and I need to spar so I can see you in action.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Uh oh I think I have disappointed Emblem Lord with my salt! If you are fine with playing on 3DS and most likely having no challenge facing me than I guess that is fine. I can't really play you today since I have to do homework. I am free between 3:30 PM to 6:30 PM. I think I have recovered from what happened to me online earlier.

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
If Emblem Lord isn't free, I sure would love to on the 3DS. I need mah practice. :D

...If not that's fine.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
You guys can PM me if you want to play against me on 3DS, but you should probably only PM me if I am online of course.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I would have just Tipper F-Smash after that missed tech on the F-air; but your string looks great. Good read on the rolls. Although it seemed to me that it was more of a pattern your opponent must have had throughout the match that you could exploit.
Yeah I dunno tbh, I wasn't really expecting him to not tech, so the shieldbreaker just came out on a whim. Then when he missed the tech again, twice in a row, I just jumped to 'gauge' his reaction and react properly, and so I didn't really have time to punish any harder.

this is the entire match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmrEfv-kSvA

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
*Sigh* I am just going to try and avoid arguing about anything on the internet, because it never goes anywhere and you will always run into someone who will speak to you in a condescending manner for no reason.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
@ JingleJangleJamil JingleJangleJamil It's best to just state your point and prove any statements anyone says afterwards once or maybe twice. If they refuse to even acknowledge your claim, even after making a good post that is explained properly, just leave. There is no reason to give yourself needless trouble to those that don't listen. Especially over a video game, which is designed so you have fun.

You're playing an under-represented character which is generally perceived as "omg super high tier he kills at 30%!!!" or "he's completely terrible and isn't viable at all." If you have fun playing and getting good with Marth, your skill will either prove them wrong or make it not matter at all because your goals have been achieved.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
@ JingleJangleJamil JingleJangleJamil It's best to just state your point and prove any statements anyone says afterwards once or maybe twice. If they refuse to even acknowledge your claim, even after making a good post that is explained properly, just leave. There is no reason to give yourself needless trouble to those that don't listen. Especially over a video game, which is designed so you have fun.

You're playing an under-represented character which is generally perceived as "omg super high tier he kills at 30%!!!" or "he's completely terrible and isn't viable at all." If you have fun playing and getting good with Marth, your skill will prove them wrong.
You saw what I was arguing about didn't you? I don't know where this other part of your post came from. It is not in the version of the one you posted.

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
No, haha. I knew it was in the Lucina boards but I assumed it was on-the-lines of certain Lucina mains being very stubborn and feel like they need to prove on how their character is better than Marth.

Also I edited that in, I felt the need to state that as I used to be that guy that took these games like they are such a big deal and that it is super important for me to get those facts straightened. Obviously, that's an unhealthy mentality and I'm glad I've changed. :3

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
No, haha. I knew it was in the Lucina boards but I assumed it was on-the-lines of certain Lucina mains being very stubborn and feel like they need to prove on how their character is better than Marth.

Also I edited that in, I felt the need to state that as I used to be that guy that took these games like they are such a big deal and that it is super important for me to get those facts straightened. Obviously, that's an unhealthy mentality and I'm glad I've changed. :3
Well it was on the thread you are thinking about, but it was a short argument that was off topic. http://smashboards.com/threads/i-pl...ple-say-she-sucks.378315/page-2#post-18741998 The stuff after my first post on the second page is what I am talking about.

Edit: Well now that things were explained, I misinterpreted what they meant and they were not really trying to sound like they expected me to know nothing about MK. I guess I should have just come to them and told them in the first place.

Holy **** this video is so painful to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivs1OuowLbg he seems like a cool guy, but sometimes he just really doesn't know what he is talking about.

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I haven't even seen the video yet, nor do I want to. The comments alone make me drop IQ points... <.<

So off-topic but do you guys have Spring Break? I don't get it until the end of March meanwhile most people have it now. All I'm getting is SATs and a 3rd marking period ending in 1 week when I really want to play. ;__;

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I haven't even seen the video yet, nor do I want to. The comments alone make me drop IQ points... <.<

So off-topic but do you guys have Spring Break? I don't get it until the end of March meanwhile most people have it now. All I'm getting is SATs and a 3rd marking period ending in 1 week when I really want to play. ;__;
Yeah Spring Break is not coming for a little while for me. I don't get Spring Break until April 3rd D: Are you in high school too? In my school we are in the 4th marking period, but we have 6 marking periods.

Pretty much 80% of the video is "Marth is so bad, Lucina is so much better". They say that using Marth while they are 2 stocking someone with him, and say the same thing when they just barely end up winning a match because the opponent SDs while using Lucina. The worst part is that he tries to play Marth and Lucina like they were the same character barely even trying to get tippers. At the end of the video they went to the sound thingy (forgot what it is called lol) to Lucina's sound clips and played the "Is this the Hero King?" and then spammed "You'll never defeat me!". Like I said before, he is a pretty cool guy, but sometimes he REALLY has no idea what he is talking about. If you read the description of the video they even say they think that Marth's tipper does not make a difference.

Last edited:

Dallyd21

Smash Rookie
So i just started playing Smash competitively and i switched from having Captain Falcon as my main to having Marth I was hoping i could find someone who is really good with Marth and would be willing to help a homie out :)

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ D Dallyd21 . I moved your post to the Marth General Thread since these sort of topics are more suited to this thread. There are a lot of resources available for you to learn Marth's gameplay.

Resource Thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/read-me-marths-competitive-resource-thread.382874/

Video Thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/hero-kings-council-video-analysis.368553/

Guide:
http://smashboards.com/guides/the-blade-of-two-fates-marth-lucina-guide.89/

Combo/String List:
http://smashboards.com/threads/ive-made-a-list-of-marths-true-combos.387633/

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
still don't use this ****, but I have recording equipment for smoosh 4 now, so maybe I'll make some marth related vids when I decide to not be lazy.

Or just dark pit stuff, hue

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
A comment to this video made me laugh so hard just now:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
A comment to this video made me laugh so hard just now:

Well Marth is a very generous man.

I just found out that on grab release you can do down smash and they will be in tipper range if they don't react quick enough. Also, is it worth sacrificing recovery for kill power with the Crescent Slash? That custom is so useful, but going off stage is very risky with it. It is very good at horizontal recovery, so I can get the opponent off stage and gimp with two fairs and then use Crescent Slash to get back to the stage easy.

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I've not played with Crecent Slash enough to say yes or no. I rarely run customs on Marth. If I put any on, its normally just Iai counter.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
you don't even lose recovery power with crescent slash, you gain more if anything, you just can't recover low, but the horizontal recovery and speed is amazing, plus it's comboable out of so much and kills

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING!!!!

Marcina's recovery is just DIFFERENT. Not WORSE!!!!!

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Just got 3rd at a tournament, a lot of my matches were streamed. Got to play trela again, think it went to game 5 same vs Gnes, game 5. I'll let you guys know when the vids are available!(:
I'll comment on some vids in the critique thread tomorrow as well, finally have some free time college has been killing me.

Top Bottom